Re: Internic and PGP (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 08:59:04 -0800
From: Jeff Frost <batalion@apocalypse.org>
To: NANOG
Subject: Re: Internic and PGP

At 11:01 AM 3/31/99 , David Shaw wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 10:49:35PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 07:31:24PM -0800, J.D. Falk wrote:
>> > 	I don't think it's ever been officially announced as down,
>> > 	but they'd admit there were problems if you called.
>>
>> 	If they ever did, you know, that might affect their stock
>> price.  Can't do that.  Not with the money grubbing higher-ups ;)
>>
>> 	I've found that the way that mutt supports pgp, doesn't work
>> right with their template processing stuff, so you have
>> to pgp -sa the file then e-mail it in for it to work.  They've not lost
>> my key (that i'm aware of), and only returned templates I sent with
>> the mutt pgp stuff, but not with the ELM2.4 ME+ (that works correctly).
>
>I have gone to silly lengths to ensure that I am giving them a valid
>signature.  Once I signed the template, and then verified the signature. I
>then copied it to another machine with a different PGP version and
>re-verified the signature. Then I mailed it to myself off-site and
>verified the signature on the remote system to ensure the mail system
>wasn't breaking something.  Finally, I mailed it to
>hostmaster@internic.net and cc'd myself on and off-site.  Both copies I
>got back verified fine.  The Internic took a few days and then bounced it
>because they couldn't verify the signature.

heheh...this is what I did almost to the letter.  I know for a fact that
there's nothing wrong with my signature and I am able to get my key from
their keyserver, so I just don't know what the problem could be.  I'm still
waiting for my faxed in authorization letter to let my contact template
changes go through (so I can use crypt-pw).  Meanwhile, I'm stuck without
being able to change any zones.  Love that customer service.
-----
Jeff Frost             Vice President, Technology
<jeff@netnoir.com>     NetNoir, Inc.