DoC review of registry fee

To Whom it May Concern:

I am a concerned citizen regarding the issue of Network Solutions monopoly on the domain name registry.  I understand that Network Solutions is attempting to maintain some $16 to $18 per domain domain registration as a registry fee.  From all that I've read, it seems like Network Solutions cost of maintaining the registry is far less (some people have argued $10 or so).  My question is simply which way the Dept of Commerce is leaning when it says Network Solutions will receive a "reasonable rate of return?"  Also, should we expect the maintenance of the registry to "be open for bids" sometime in the near future.  I am no technology expert, but it doesn't seem like a grand undertaking to maintain a database.

Thank you.

Sincererly,

Dale Leo
212 350-5199