CENTR Statement to the ICANN Board

Introduction

CENTR is in a position to speak for European ccTLD Registries and has
continued to make known its requirements of the organisation to replace IANA.

Following  the CENTR meeting in Vienna, 27 November 1998, we now wish to
comment on the situation following the appointment  of an initial board for
the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and
publication of Adopted Bylaws on 23 November 1998,  using our published
requirements as points of reference.

Particular attention is draw to the principles by which ccTLD registries
exist, as expressed in our Position Paper of 13 March 1998:

 * ccTLD registries have autonomy in their relations with IANA.

 * Authority of ccTLD registries comes from local consensus. The role of IANA
is to recognise the decision made by the process of local consensus.

ICANN and Initial Board

We welcome the appointment of the ICANN Initial Board and support their
endeavours to  establish  a structure for ICANN which meets the requirements
of the Internet community in an open and transparent manner. We believe that
the appointment has significantly moved the process on by providing it with
focus of responsibility.

CENTR wishes to confirm its continued desire to cooperate with the ICANN board
and provide input into the process of establishing the new organisation. We
recognise that this process has potential to meet our requirement for a
separate legal entity with whom we can seek assurances concernig ccTLD
autonomy and continuance.

CENTR  expressed its support for the 5th Iteration of the Bylaws proposed by
Jon Postel.
Whilst we understand that the Board may have found it necessary to make
modifications to that draft before its assumption of office, we are anxious to
see early stabilisation in the text of this document  in order to have a clear
framework for the transition process.  Notwithstanding this, we have strong
reservations about the new provision (in VI.2.f) which apparently excludes the
participation of Board members nominated by one of the supporting
organisations from decisions relating to proposals received from the same
supporting organisation.  We do not understand the reasoning behind this
provision, and would welcome clarification.

We wish to see a formalization of the relationship between ICANN and ccTLDs in
respect of DNS services and believe it appropriate that fees in respect of
such activities should be paid directly from the TLDs to ICANN and not via the
DNSO.

Domain Name Support Organisation

CENTR welcomes the current initiative to work towards a proposal to create the
DNSO. We continue to support the initiative though it has not yet reached
conclusions with which we can be satisfied.

All CENTR statements relating to the establishment of an organization to
replace IANA can be found on our Web pages:  <http://www.ripe.net/centr/press/i
ndex.html>