Re: What Happened to Netscan? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:42:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: NANOG
Subject: Re: What Happened to Netscan?

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Henry Linneweh wrote:

> hmm this is not good.
>
> www.netscan.org no longer responds to access from the web

That is because the domain isn't in the root name servers.

This could be because it is on hold for lack of payment.  You can check
this using whois.  Oh, sorry, NSI disabled that a long time ago.  You can
check it by telnetting to rs.internic.net and doing the whois there.  Oh,
sorry, NSI disabled that the other week.  You can check to see if there is
money owing on the domain using NSI's online payment system at
https://payments.networksolutions.com/ ... oops, sorry, that has been down
most of the time for the past few weeks.

Or it could be because NSI screwed up.

My new theory on why NSI does all this to make it impossible to tell such
things is so they can make domain holders contact them directly so NSI can
try to push their extra services onto them.

Still accessible via IP address though.  216.92.33.199.  I guess that
using a hosts file isn't such a bad idea after all.