[Comment-Aso] Re: IP address space allocation: not a crisis, let's lighten up.

whoa, JG,  wait a minute --
you can't claim that 'the address space isn't
being used up so you can take the brakes off'

that's like saying `ok, inflation is low, no crisis now exists,
greenspan is just being draconian, he should reduce interest rates,
no worries, the economy will be fine,
we all know how to behave ourselves wrt the money supply'

we don't know how to behave ourselves, john.

and as you note, as w many aspects of the Internet,
there is Still no rational economic signalling mechanism in place,
nor clear path (nor, arguably, sufficient interest)
in how much work (pain) it would take to get there
e.g., the IETF PIARA thing fizzled in 6 months,
much to my disappointment

ftr, i don't have data on the part about it
moving 'further away from such markets'?
can we really claim that?  that would be interesting

re `The original crisis came from the size of
	routing tables, not an exhaustion of IP addresses'

Wrong. it was Both.  see

	http://www.nlanr.net/Papers/cei.html

(Inet '95. again, hwb/pford's superlative work.
also note that hwb did all of the address space analysis,
even the 1997 stuff,
i just presented it at IETF cause he wouldn't fly to DC...)

re 'networks are being designed for a scarcity of IP addresses,
    when the scarcity is somewhat artificial'...

(a) disagree that it's artificial
(b) 4 billion IPv4 addresses isn't really 4 billion IPv4 addresses
	when as you know the architecture dictates
	allocating in blocks, hierarchically if possible
(c) don't see why NAT type stuff is so bad
	for cell phone systems or many other systems

am not saying am ok w the current ARIN model;
the system definitely needs hooks for
rational signalling and feedback(data)-based growth/evolution.
but *we* have to build them; ARIN never signed up for that.

but i think we should be real careful about
statements like `no crisis now exists;
send these false stewards away'
esp if we use data from me and hwb to justify it <s>

in my mind they're not false stewards,
they're caught up in this relentless
commercialized-faster-than-rationalized
spin cycle just like the rest of us
and they're doing their best

i fear it's too easy to downplay their role
(in coercing CIDR/conservation on us;
thankless task, like greenspan's)
but i think IPv4 (or the money supply)
wouldn't still be so healthy without them

so is that stunting evolution of the Internet?
cause we might have had IPv6 all working and happy by now
if we'd just let the v4 crisis run it's natural course?

i am totally unconvinced...

change, yes.
revolution, i don't think we could handle.