Comments of the Center for Democracy and Technology

These comments explore the broader civil liberties issues involved in name
registration in general and trademark dispute resolution in particular. We
focus on possible privacy concerns with the creation, access to and use of
the domain name registration database(s). No immediate solutions are
presented. Our basic message is that establishing privacy rules will not be
easy, but that the rules currently proposed by ICANN are inadequate and
that the task must be given fuller attention through a broader consultative
process. We also briefly mention some free expression/access concerns.

http://www.cdt.org/dns/icanncomments.shtml

Jim Dempsey

Center for Democracy and Technology
1634 Eye Street, NW Suite 1100
Washington DC, 20006
voice: 202.637.9800 x112     fax: 202.637.0968

                * WORKING FOR DEMOCRATIC VALUES IN A DIGITAL AGE *
                Protecting Free Speech and Privacy on the Internet
			      http://www.cdt.org/