[Comment-Ip] Referral to the DNSO

In a previous message to this list, I asked the Interim Board to please
refer the WIPO report to the DNSO and not adopt any part of that report
in Berlin. The lengthy WIPO report deserves the careful attention and
close scrutiny it will receive within the supporting organization
structure that we all have worked very hard to build. The ICANN Bylaws
also require such action. Section VI (2)(d) provides:

  The Board shall refer proposals for substantive policies
  not received from a Supporting Organization to the Supporting
  Organization, if any, with primary responsibility for the area
  to which the proposal relates for initial consideration and
  recommendation to the Board.

As the DNSO currently exists as a formal part of ICANN (See, ICANN
Bylaws, VI (3)(a) ("Upon the adoption of such Bylaw amendments the
Supporting Organization shall be deemed to exist for purposes of these
Bylaws...")), the Bylaws require this substantive policy proposal from
WIPO to be referred to the DNSO.

Thank you for your consideration of this comment.

    -- Bret Fausett