Re: [Membership] [Comment-Mac] Secret ballots

At 07:17 17/05/1999 -0400, Jonathan Zittrain wrote:
>Kent,
>
>The problem with roll call as I see it is that it permits vote
>buying--"contracts" can be formed with verification that a vote has been
>delivered.  If a secret ballot is used it's much more difficult to buy (or
>coerce, for that matter) votes.  ...JZ

This is correct.  Electoral fraud is generally committed from above, not
from below. (I lived in the Philippines for 8 years)

In our constituency-to-be, the way we try to balance secret ballots with
voter verification, while still taking advantage of the Net as a voting
medium is as follows:

IDNO voters  vote via our Polling Booth website. They log in with a group
username and password. The vote can be secret. The results can be made
visible to all as they come in. But the Elections Committee has the right
to scrutinize the site logs for any anomalies.

Should I make the site available to the ICANN at large membership as well?
;-)
--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
the Cyberspace Association,
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.democracy.org.nz/idno/