Domain Names

February 25, 1999
Mr. Michael Roberts, Interim President and CEO
339 La Cuesta Drive
Portola Valley, CA 94028
USA
FAX.: +1 650 854 81 34
e-mail: comment-so@icann.org

Dear Mr. Roberts,

On behalf of the Information Technology Association of South Africa (ITA), please convey to the Board of the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) our support for the Barcelona-Monterrey-Washington application to be recognized as the Domain Name Supporting Organization (DNSO) and its continuing process of unification with other stakeholder groups.

The ITA represents the interests of the leading vendors of IT products and services in South Africa and includes in its membership international and local suppliers committed to the promotion of a free and fair market environment, operating to the highest ethical standards.

The application submitted to ICANN on 5 February 1999 by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Electronic Commerce Europe (ECE), European ISP Association (EuroISPA), Information Technology Association of America (ITAA), International Council of
Registrars (CORE), International Trademark Association (INTA), Internet
Society (ISOC), Policy Oversight Committee (POC), and the World
Information Technology and Services Alliance (WITSA) lays out a credible
and effective organizational structure for ICANN's Domain Name
Supporting Organization, which meets the requirements of Article 1,
Section 3 (b) of ICANN's Bylaws.

We believe that the breadth of stakeholders represented by the organizations endorsing this application and its unification process represent a broad consensus among a critical mass of Internet Stakeholders. In our opinion it should form the basis of how to create a
viable, open, and transparent DNSO that will supply the ICANN Board with well-developed, timely and well-reasoned policy recommendations reflecting the consensus and interests of all of the various stakeholders from around the world.

Please accept this letter as our expression of support for both the Barcelona-Monterrey-Washington application and the process of further refining the application to present the ICANN board with the most inclusive and representative application possible in advance of the ICANN meeting in Singapore on 2-4 March 1999.

Yours sincerely,

Adrian Schofield
President
Information Technology Association of SA
Mobile: +27-82-501 3900
e-mail: ita@ita.org.za

GIF image