Open vs. closed TLD registries

To: list@ifwp.org
From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard@dns.list>
Subject: Re: [IFWP] Discussion of Constituency Formation
Cc: comment-so@icann.org

1) GTLD Constituancy

So whats the deal here, do I just set up the mailing list and invite
everybody to join and ask ICANN to post a notice about this ?

2) open vs. closed domains.

By George I think they've got it.

In a nutshell, .com and .int and gtlds and .ca and .nu are
"country code" [1] tlds. But, .com and .nu have more in
common with each other than say .com and .int.

That is, .com and .nu are open domains - anybody can register
in them, while .ca and .int are closed domains in that you must
meet certain criteria for registration in those zones; not just
anybody can get a .ca or .int domain; these are condidered to
be "closed"

These "closed" domains have over the years also been called
"charterded" tlds.

[1] They aren't really country code tlds, as at least one (.UK)
is not the country code for the United Kingdom, .GB is. They
aren't ISO domains either as .UK is not the ISO code for the
UK. Technically they're "two letter domains that have traditionally
represent countries" but ignore that pedantic view :-) and sloppily
call them cctlds.

--
richard@dns.list    sexton@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
"Those who give up a little freedom for a little security

--
"How gratifying for once to know... that those up above
will serve those down below" - S. Todd