seizure policy - Give us a break, Mike!

re my earlier posting, "remove the seizure policy",
 http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/comment-udrp/current/msg00022.html

ICANN pres Mike Roberts claims below that the seizure policies
of "various competitive registrars" domain name contracts are
not "required by an ICANN policy."

Give us a break, Mike!

ICANN's Accreditation Contract with Registrars requires, under
"Business Dealings, Including with SLD Holders", that:

> "The SLD holder shall agree that its registration of the SLD name
> shall be subject to suspension, cancellation, or transfer by any
> ICANN procedure,

"any ICANN procedure" can mean anything.

> OR by any registrar or registry administrator
> procedure approved by an ICANN-adopted policy, (1) to correct
> mistakes by Registrar or the registry administrator in registering
> the name OR ...

"mistake" can mean anything.

The "OR" between the two, means it only takes one (non?)event:
"any ICANN procedure", or a "mistake", to trigger your domain name loss.

"Any ICANN procedure" or "registrar or registry administrator mistake"
can trigger your domain name loss.

Period.

Neither need be substantiated, or even explained.

No due process or compensation is offered the losing domain name holder.

Therefore, *all* ICANN registrars *must* (and in fact do) have domain
name holders "... agree that we may, in our sole discretion, delete or
transfer
your domain name at any time."

It is the only way for registrars to ensure their own compliance
with their contractual obligation to ICANN, and to maintain their
accreditation.

Mr. Roberts also complains that, "...until [I] raised the issue recently,
[there'd been no] substantive opposition to this provision."

Here we agree.  The grounds for opposition are substantive indeed.

Judith Oppenheimer

--
Judith Oppenheimer, 1 800 The Expert, 212 684-7210
mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com