NC Conference Call June 11, 1999

Javier:

I acknowledge receipt of Mr. Sondow's e-mails to Ms. Porteneuve and to
you, as well as your e-mail in response.

I believe everyone understands that as much as possible, the operations
of the ICANN Board and the Names Council are to be transparent.  Clearly
there are times where, to effect business in a reasonable manner, a
closed meeting must take place, and clearly most people understand
this.  We seem to have started off on the wrong foot.  I see no point in
arguing with Mr. Sondow as to whether he should be on the conference
call on June 11.  He certainly seems to have sufficient interest in the
issues to participate as an observer, and I do not believe that his
participation would interfere with the orderly progress of the
conference call.  As yet we have no formal rules governing the
procedures to be followed at such meetings, nor are there any formal, or
informal officers of the Names Council (assuming there ever will be any)
in place, therefore there is nobody "in charge" at this point.  I would
strongly recommend that Mr. Sondow be welcomed as a participant in the
conference call.

However, I feel compelled to state my view that Mr. Sondow's tone and
threats were utterly uncalled for, contrary in all respects to the
spirit of compromise and cooperation which we are trying to develop, and
should be universally condemned.

I am particularly concerned about the repeated underlying, and now
express threat to rely on the U.S. government (Congress), the U.S.
Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Commerce to "step in"
and sanction participants in this process, which has clearly been made
international at the order of the U.S. Department of Commerce.  I doubt
if Mr. Sondow has any idea how difficult it is to remain calm, open,
compromising and inclusive in the face of such parochial and
inflammatory language.

Without further ado, I welcome Mr. Sondow's participation in the
teleconference call.

Jonathan Cohen

--
Shapiro Cohen
Group of Intellectual Property Practices

Telephone: (613)232-5300
Facsimile: (613) 563-9231

This correspondence is intended for the person to whom it is addressed
and contains information that is
confidential, and/or privileged to the named recipient, and may be
proprietary in nature. It is not to be used by
any other person and/or organization.  If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify us immediately by
telephone (collect) and/or return e-mail.