Re: Domain registrars requirements for 'accuracy'. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:53:55 -0700
From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk@cybernothing.org>
To: list@inet-access.net
Subject: Re: Domain registrars requirements for 'accuracy'.

On 07/22/99, Frank Dziuba <frank@avtel.com> wrote:

> Who's responsible for the integrity of the NIC data?

	NetSol says they own all the data at whois.internic.net, and
	nobody else can edit it anyway, so it must be them.

	I'd suggest that your customer continue calling and asking
	for supervisors until they get somebody sympathetic.  Don't
	scream about it being a spam issue, though -- just say that
	you're getting phone calls for somebody else, and it seems
	to be because of the WHOIS data.  Lots of people hear "spam"
	and immediately turn off their brains.

> And if a spammer can
> register a domain and make up a phone number that ends up getting another
> person in hot water what is their liability?

	Might be harassment.  Check with a lawyer.

 ---------========== J.D. Falk <jdfalk@cybernothing.org> =========---------
  |    "The right to be heard does not include                           |
  |                       the right to be taken seriously."              |
  |                                                 --Hubert Humphrey    |
 ----========== http://www.cybernothing.org/jdfalk/home.html ==========----
-