Re: more internic fun, and an idea (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:15:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Borchers <markb@infi.net>
To: nanog@merit.edu
Subject: Re: more internic fun, and an idea

Michael Shields wrote:

> And at the time, there was continuous and IMHO justified complaining
> that they hadn't automated the process to make things faster.

Well, I can't dispute that "faster is better".  However, I'd
gladly live with slower domain transactions in exchange for some
of the things that were lost with the advent of automated
registration:

 - Checking for the existence of valid SOA records before
   a delegation was made.

 - At least some minimal validation that the registrant
   qualified for the TLD in which they were registering (ORG,
   EDU, or whatever).

Of course, as was pointed out in private email earlier today,
in a perfect world, we'd have rapid automatic processing AND
enforcement of domain policies by the registry.

Would be glad to trade further viewpoints off-list, since this
thread is not all that operational.