Internal structure of the at-large membership

Watching the board meeting today, I was struck by Esther's comment
questioning why anyone would want to be a member of the proposed
at-large council.

It occurs to me that the issue of the *internal structure* of the
at-large "membership" (*) has apparently not been considered.
However, it is absolutely clear that a membership of 5000 or more
will absolutely require some internal structure -- probably a
hierarchy, and that setting up that structure will be a rather
complex and demanding task.

If the at-large council is seen as the top of that internal
structure, then I think there will be plenty of motivation for
ambitious individuals to participate, because the structure itself
will require care and feeding, and the at-large council will
presumably be in charge.

(*) in quotes because of the California Legal issues.

Kent