Re: Installment 2: Have Vint and Esther Got a Deal For You!

I guess I really should make this
part of the ICANN record.  FYI:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Installment 2: Have Vint and Esther Got a Deal For You!
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 18:23:18 -0400
From: Jay@Iperdome.com
To: Robert Shaw <Robert.Shaw@itu.int>
CC: Jay@Iperdome.com, iwfp@list.org
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom

Robert Shaw wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> I'm somewhat disappointed to see TELECOM Digest also become a platform
> for ICANN bashing. Having participated in the Internet Ad Hoc
> Committee (IAHC) in 1996/1997, I was once (and thankfully am no more)
> at ground zero of the three-ring circus that attempted to overhaul the
> administration of the Internet generic top level domains.  How this
> has turned into a bizarre discussion of "Internet governance" is
> beyond me.
>
> When the IAHC started its work in 1996, I doubt that any of us had
> ever heard of the term Internet governance. In fact, we were very
> careful to limit the scope of our activity and would have been accused
> of absurd hubris to equate this work with the much grander sounding
> "Internet governance".
>
> Someone once said "trying to govern the Internet is like trying to
> herd cats: it just doesn't work". And as someone else noted -- "cats
> are clearly much smarter than dogs: the proof is that you could never
> tie eight cats together and get them to pull a sled in one
> direction". One could argue that what we need is a few dogs pulling in
> the same direction.

Hi Bob,

How do you reconcile your comments above,
with those of your boss in the ITU's own
magazine:

   I am pleased that the Minneapolis Plenipotentiary
   Conference held in October-November 1998, gave ITU
   a very clear mandate for a role in questions of
   Internet governance (see ITU News, No. 10/98,
   pages 17-18). The need for an impartial international
   organization to be involved in Internet governance
   was clear nearly four years ago. I recall underlining
   this need at the Internet Days event, which we
   organized in April 1995.

   The IS Department has participated very actively,
   on ITU's behalf, in key Internet governance forums,
   notably the International Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC)
   for domain name issues and the Memorandum of
   Understanding on Internet generic Top Level Domain
   names (gTLD-MoU), for which ITU is the depositary.

   --Lucio Goelzer

   http://www.itu.int/journal/199901/E/html/n0199E.htm
   at bottom

More comments below . . .

> But, of course, on the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog. I,
> along with another rotating group of committee members who worked on
> this problem, experienced enough bizarre characters, self-proclaimed
> representatives of organizations that are nothing more than a few web
> pages, anonymous people hiding behind fake identities, and conspiracy
> theories to last a lifetime.
>
> The IAHC was sued, attacked in thousands of emails on mailing lists,
> compared to communists against free enterprise, claimed to be lackeys
> of foreign powers, part of a secret plot to move the Internet to

> Switzerland, ad nauseum (all copiously fanned by Gordon Cook's
> writings). No motive that we could possibly have had was too base. No
> possible accusation has been left unsaid. I read enough false press
> reports about our work to forever distrust quasi-real-time web
> journalism. Getting seriously involved in this topic is the best way
> to become intimately familiar with your email filters -- and a thick
> skin.
>
> And with ICANN, it is deja-vu all over again. In any endeavour, there
> are always going to be people who disagree with you. What is different
> is that the Internet allows those who have endless energy and access
> to email (and large distribution lists) wonderful opportunities to
> attack with whatever dirt they can dream up. Some are very clever in
> how they do it. I put Mr. Fenello into that category.

On this we agree, it *is* deja-vu all over again.

Rather than debate issues of substance, you would
rather resort to personal attacks and inuendo.
It's the IAHC all over again :-(

I'm just happy that Pat is willing to put all
sides in this debate online for public discussion,
even though his future funding may lie in the
balance.

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    770-392-9480
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com

"All truth passes through three stages.  First, it is
ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third,
it is accepted as self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer)