Re: Esther Dyson: Queen of The World

Hi Walter,

Actually, I believe that the decisions we are about
to make will affect humanity for a very long time to

come.  I believe that ICANN, as currently constituted,
will result in a less-than-optimal scenario for our
future.

In many ways, the fight over Internet Governance
is like riding in a train -- it is hard to determine
the destination, simply by watching the scenery go
by.

But there are tools that can help us to understand
scenarios, and there are organizations who use these
tools to explore future realities.  Here's one such
study by the U.S. Air Force:
  http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/usaf/2025/af/a-f.htm

Given ICANN's current direction, and given the
continuing consolidation of media and telecom
interests (i.e. the Viacom/CBS merger), then one
potentially insightful scenario is the Zaibatsu:

"Zaibatsu is a world dominated by corporate economic interests.
Multinational corporations (MNC) have become extremely powerful and have
loosely bonded together to serve their financial interests. The "zaibatsu,"
as used here, is the informal collection of MNCs cooperating to manage
growth and maximize profits. Though some might view Zaibatsu as being prone
to corporate greed and excess, usually there is peaceful cooperation to
further world economic growth."

>Actually, it would require one world government
>in the first place in order to implement such total control.  That's
>what I meant by cause-and-effect being backwards here.
>
>  The only reason the current system works as well as it does is
>because "everybody" co-operates (sort of).  Zone files don't

>accomplish much by simply sitting on ICANN's computers.  They have to
>be downloaded by authoratative servers, who allow other servers to to
>download from them, etc, and eventually your ISP's nameserver
>downloads at least a portion of the zone files.

This is a similar to the argument used by members
of the technocracy.  They believe that the current
technology offers some form of resistance against
the consolidation of power by ICANN.

I don't buy this argument, as summarized in this
clip from an old correspondance:

>My reply is that you are ignoring
>thousands of years of history, about
>how people and organizations consolidate
>power, and what happens after they do.
>
>Your belief that your technical comrades
>can keep ICANN under control is probably
>where we disagree the most.  ICANN is a
>political creature, one that makes deals
>along the way to support its ever increasing
>agenda.
>
>While the technocracy is strong and unified,
>you will be catered to by the powers within
>ICANN, so that pressure can be brought to
>bear on those targeted by ICANN.  Initially,
>this will be NSI, then the ccTLDs, then the
>RIRs.  Finally it *will* be the technocracy
>itself.
>
>It is a classic progression whereby ICANN
>uses a divide and conquer approach to assume
>total control.

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.    770-392-9480
What's your .per(sm)?   http://www.iperdome.com

"All truth passes through three stages.  First, it is
ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third,
it is accepted as self-evident." (Arthur Schopenhauer)