Re: [names] ICANN as a concept v. this ICANN

At 01:24 AM 10/18/99 , Jay Fenello wrote:
>At 08:05 PM 10/14/99 , John Palfrey wrote:
>> >One by one, however, people realized that ICANN
>> >was a sham, and dropped out of the debate.  The
>> >few that remain do so to keep the process fair,
>> >even though it is at a great personal cost.
>> >
>> >In short, the problem isn't with ICANN, the
>> >problem is with *THIS* ICANN!
>>
>>This comment -- particularly if it represents a widely-held belief -- seems
>>to me quite revealing about what's going on in the debate over ICANN, its
>>role in Internet governance, and the governance of ICANN itself.
>

>As I mentioned above, many, many people have
>given up on ICANN, and dropped out of the debate.
>
>In an attempt to reach some of these expatriots,
>I posted your inquiry to the Boston Working Group
>list.  I was hoping to get some responses from
>people like Einar Stefferud, Jim Dixon, and Laina
>Raveendran Greene.  They are all people who *were*
>very active in the ICANN formation process, yet
>they seldom if ever post today.

Hi John,

Here is the response from Jim Dixon, one of
the most vocal European critics, one with
many prominent positions as outlined below.

Before Jim gave up, he was an active member
of the IFWP Steering Committee, and he attended
many of the European Commission inquiries into
this matter.

Jim led the call for an IFWP wrap-up meeting,
and while three votes were held, and all three
were *for* a wrap-up meeting, it was sabotaged by
people like Mike Roberts (apparently the secret
president of ICANN then) and Amadeu Abril i Abril
(recently elected ICANN Board Member).

Anyway, here is his response:

>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 22:53:12 +0100 (BST)
>From: Jim Dixon <jdd@matthew.uk1.vbc.net>
>To: Jay Fenello <Jay@Iperdome.com>
>Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [names] ICANN as a concept v. this ICANN
>

>Well, there are other options.
>
>We had a meeting with Esther Dyson in London early this year
>that finally made it quite clear to me that whatever we said
>to ICANN, whatever we might do, whatever promises they made,
>in the end we were going to simply be ignored.  Nothing I have
>seen or heard since then has changed that conclusion.
>
>In my opinion what we should be doing is not wasting time in
>this or that futile debate but working on practical
>alternatives.
>
>--
>Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
>VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net       tel +44 117 929 1316
>Member of Council                               Telecommunications Director
>Internet Services Providers Association                       EuroISPA EEIG
>http://www.ispa.org.uk                             http://www.euroispa.org
>tel +44 171 976 0679                                    tel +32 2 503 22 65

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello,
New Media Relations
http://www.fenello.com  770-392-9480