ICANN Update

Here's an update on the ICANN situation:

Jay.

 >At 10:17 PM 11/22/99 , msondow@iciiu.org wrote:
 >
 >At a National Press Club conference transmitted today by NPR, John Sweeney,
 >President of the AF of L-CIO, said that the WTO was a world government whose
 >laws, made without the consultation or participation of workers, are
 >establishing a world oligarchy of transnational corporations that will throw
 >back workers' rights and environmental protection to the union-busting days
 >of the nineteenth century.
 >
 >Is the Internet to be the mechanism for WTO world government? Is this why
 >the U.S. Department of Commerce has created ICANN? What role are MCI and
 >Vinton Cerf supposed to play in it? Was Jones Day selected as ICANN's
 >lawfirm because of their connection with the transnational corporations
 >controlling the WTO and benefitting from the GATT? Under what law will we
 >live in the 21st century, constitutional  democracy or the dictatorship of
 >ICANN and the WTO?

[Note:  Jamie Love is the Director of Ralph
Nader's Consumer Project on Technology]

At 04:16 PM 11/12/99 , Jay Fenello wrote:

>The way I see it, we have a
>confluence of activities that paint a very
>interesting picture.
>
>Specifically, we have presidential candidate
>and senator John McCain saying that soft money
>is a legalized form of graft.  And he's right,
>especially if you look at the totally unfair
>process used to put in place ICANN.  But with
>literally 100s of millions of dollars being
>funnelled into Washington on behalf of those
>supporting ICANN, what could be expected?
>
>We have presidential candidate Pat Buchanan
>saying that this may be the last election where
>the people have any chance of getting back their
>government.  Funny, while the White Paper expresses
>concern over capture of the Internet, the capture
>of Washington goes unabated.
>
>And we have a U.S. Air Force report that does
>a scenario analysis of the next 25 years:
>    http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/usaf/2025/af/a-f.htm
>I'd say we are already pretty far into the scenario
>where multinational corporations exceed the power
>of sovereign nations.
>
>Throughout this debate, we've had to constantly
>up the ante when it came to describing the meta
>issue that we are all fighting about.  And this
>leads me to former ambassador and presidential
>candidate Alan Keyes.  He believes that the U.S.
>Constitution requires a moral citizenry, and
>without morality, even the Constitution can't
>help us.
>
>In other words, when all is said and done,
>this is a fight over morals and values.
>
>Some people say (I think it's the Buddhists),
>that awareness is the first step on the road
>to enlightenment.  I believe that the Internet
>can be the vehicle that leads to the awareness
>that leads to the enlightenment, that allows
>humanity to evolve to the next level.
>
>Unfortunately, the Trademark lobby's "deal with
>ICANN" is a serious threat to *that* scenario.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello,
New Media Relations
http://www.fenello.com  770-392-9480

"We are creating the most significant new jurisdiction
we've known since the Louisiana purchase, yet we are
building it just outside the constitution's review."
   --  Larry Lessig, Harvard Law School, on ICANN