Re: [names] Image Online Design on ICANN

At 06:43 PM 10/28/99 , Mike Roberts wrote:
>Just for the record, the assertions contained in the following
>email with regard to statements I am alleged to have made are
>completely without factual substance and do not represent my
>views or the views of any ICANN person to the best of my
>knowledge.
>
>- Mike Roberts

Here's is what started it all:

  >Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 02:48:58 -0400
  >To: [a reporter]
  >From: Jay Fenello <Jay@Iperdome.com>
  >
  >Here's where Mike Roberts informs everyone
  >that he's decided that prior claims to TLDs
  >are not valid, are not going to be considered,
  >even though this is in direct contradiction to
  >the White Paper's approach of a bottom-up
  >consensus process to answer this question.
  >
  >Also, note that this decision was announced on
  >*JANUARY* 19th, 1999, before both the Singapore
  >and the Berlin ICANN Board meetings, before the
  >DNSO had even been recognized.
  >
  >>ftp://wipo2.wipo.int/pub/process/eng/to2-transcript-en.txt
  >>
  >>(Mr. Mike Roberts):
  >>"whatever we do about new top-level domains, one of the clear
  >>antecedent requirements of that is that we don't make what
  >>appears to be a monopoly profit grant.  Now there are a lot
  >>of mechanisms for dealing with that and we are going to hear
  >>a lot of input on that, but I just wanted to sort of get that
  >>message out there because we are no longer if we ever were,
  >>we are no longer in an Oklahoma land rush approach to the
  >>creation of new TLDs. "

Then, on the Harvard list, Mike admitted that
he had said it, and he confirmed that I had
interpreted it correctly.

Mike, which assertions are you denying?

> > Competitive TLDs *will* be considered by the ICANN board if such a proposal
> > comes before us. The outcome is still unknown.
> >
> > Esther Dyson

Given Mike's comments outlined above, given
the gerrymandered DNSO, and given ICANN's
total disregard for process as described in
this Small Business Administration Advisory:
http://www.sba.gov/advo/laws/comments/icann99_1027.html
the outcome seems all too certain!

Jay.

> > At 11:08 am 10/28/1999 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:
> > >
> > >Others wishing to make *their* position
> > >on ICANN part of the public record may
> > >contact Fenello.com for assistance.
> > >
> > >FYI:
> > >
> > >http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/
> 10-28
> > >-1999/0001061640
> > >
> > >Image Online Design Issues Statement on ICANN
> > >
> > >SAN LUIS OBISPO, October 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Image Online Design, Inc.
> > ><www.webtld.com>, "The .Web Internet Domain Registry(tm)", the longest
> > >standing prospective registry for a new Top Level Domain, today
> responded to
> > >comments made by ICANN Board members on the Harvard Law School's IS99
> class
> > >list <news://cyber.law.harvard.edu/IS99-names>.
> > >
> > >IODesign takes exception to recent comments from Mike Roberts,
> president of
> > >ICANN, when he admitted that competitive TLDs will not be considered
> by the
> > >ICANN board.  This is in direct violation of the ICANN by-laws, and in
> direct
> > >opposition to the intent of the White Paper.  [His admission caused
> Iperdome,
> > >another prospective registry, to suspend operations.]

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello,
New Media Relations
http://www.fenello.com  770-392-9480