Re: [Membership] Structure of 'at large' membership

But this ends up creating hierarchies....  With addresses, regionalization
makes sense, reflecting routing patterns and the like, but I'm not sure we
want ICANN just to mimic geographical reality.

Esther

At 09:09 AM 26/01/99 +1100, Greg Crew wrote:
>This idea has merit, and should be considered further.
>Q1. Not all defined regions have an individual RIR. Would regional
>constituencies be administratively easy to manage?
>Q2. How would voting for AL directors be structured to comply with the
>by-laws?
>Greg.
>
>At 01:49 PM 1/25/99 -0000, mike.norris@heanet.ie wrote:
>>
>>I would like to suggest that ICANN's 'at lerge' membership be structured on
>>a regional basis, just as authority for address allocation is organised
>>through the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs).  In Europe, RIPE NCC is the
>>RIR, while RIPE is completely open to all those with an interest in the
>>Internet.  Its meetings are open, and are held in locations around Europe.
>>It has open working groups, each of which has an open mailing list, and
>>which help to develop policy and guidelines for the Internet in Europe.  Its
>>information services are also open to all and are maintained by the RIPE
>>NCC.
>>
>>RIPE has been in existence for ten years and works very well.  It would be
>>useful to capitalise on this success in forming the ICANN 'at large'
>>membership, if similar open structures could be identified in the other
>>regions.  Moreover, ICANN would thus support devolution and subsidiarity,
>>which would make administration and affiliation a lot easier.
>>
>>Regards.
>>
>>Mike Norris

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"