Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?

It's always a good sign when someone changes his mind and admits it.  Humble
people call it learning!

Esther

At 01:43 PM 06/02/99 +0000, Daniel Kaplan wrote:
>A 11:51 06/02/99 +1200, Joop Teernstra a écrit :
>>I recall the requirement for the MAC members to be ready to work in a
>>fishbowl environment of transparency.
>
>Please refer to http://www.icann.org/membership-com.html
>
>>Could we please hear from each MAC member how he/she voted on this issue
>>and why?
>
>See http://www.dkaplan.net/macmodel.htm (or follow the link from
>http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/mac/bbtop.htm, where several models are
>discussed).
>
>I started with a vision similar to yours, ie, members are (at least in
>priority) direct "users" of ICANN's services, i.e. IP Address and Domain
>Names holders.
>
>I was convinced by the public discussions that we had no right to prevent
>others to participate. I'm still not sure why on earth they would do so,
>but it does not mean I feel entitled to prevent anyone from participating
>if he/she so desires.
>
>Now, we are not creating the world government. So I still believe:
>
>1/ That ICANN should be very proactive in getting domain names and IP
>address holders to be members. This could take several forms, for instance,
>free (although voluntary) membership registration, the fees being included
>in the DN/IPA registration fees.
>
>2/ That there should be some fee for anyone to join, so as to discourage
>excessive fraud as well as people whose interest is not high enough.
>
>Daniel
>** Les eLectrophées  -  trophées du commerce électronique  -  19/3/99
>** http://www.finances.gouv.fr/mission_commerce_electronique/trophees
>Daniel Kaplan                            Consultant
>dkaplan@terra-nova.fr        http://www.dkaplan.net
>5, rue de la Véga    -   75012 Paris    -    France
>Tel +33 (0)1 5333 8881       Fax +33 (0)1 5333 8882

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"