RE: [Membership] MAC reports and models-New URLs

Although this discussion is *old* (over a week), it does give me a chance to
introduce a question to those considering ICANN membership issues.

As a member of the team that put together the Paris draft, we "kicked the
can" on DNSO membership issues by saying that membership in the DNSO was a
subset of ICANN membership.  The mechanism we thought of was that when
someone applied to become an ICANN member, they would "tick a box" to become
a member of the DNSO as well.  We thought that it was outside of our
expertise and knowledge to determine what a member would be, and that it
would be presumptuous to come up with a definition, especially with the MAC
working out these difficult issues.  We basically wanted a very open
membership, and we wanted to allow all ICANN members to become members of
the DNSO, and we couldn't envisage a situation where someone would be
allowed to become a member of the DNSO and *not* a member of ICANN.  So we
kicked the can.

In the context of making all domain registrants automatically members of
ICANN with the paying of a small levy, this has some operational
implications.  How would this be managed?  How would someone indicate on
their domain registration form that they wanted to become a member of the
DNSO?

Also, what about ccTLD registrants?  Surely they have as much right to be a
member of ICANN, but the changing of registration procedures in 240
different systems is not trivial, and could be quite a burden (first in
taking the registration, then in passing the information on to ICANN) on
some of the poorer, non-automated registries (yes, Virginia, the majority of
registries are manually operated).

I quite like the idea, but these factors need to be considered.

Antony