Re: [Membership] A Model for Community & Global

.... basically, anything more complicated than e-mail or a graphics-free
Website is going to leave a lot of people out.

esther

At 12:17 PM 12/03/99 -0800, Greg Skinner wrote:
>Antoun Nabhan <anabhan@law.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> At 04:19 PM 3/11/99 -0800, gds@best.com wrote:
>
>>> I think if you set up a web site for your community resource, and have
>>> a Java applet launched whenever someone from your community visits it,
>>> it can provide the automatic type of community information you
>>> want.
>
>> I was thinking of something more PointCast-like: push technology,
>> with the "Community Sphere" application running in the background and
>> then connecting to the appropriate server every time you connect to
>> the Net. I don't *think* there's a way to make a Java applet persist
>> after you exit your browser/JVM.
>
>I don't know much about PointCast.  I run applets (within
>appletviewer) independently of browsers.
>
>At any rate, I think there are a variety of approaches that
>Communisphere can use to get information to its members, ranging from
>simple email messages to comprehensive messaging/reporting systems.
>All of this can be done using off-the-shelf technology.  There is
>ample documentation on and offline that explains how to use it.
>
>I have some general questions about Communisphere, having been born
>and raised in NYC, and lived in some poor communities.  I'd like to
>know how people there would like to use the Internet.  Are they really
>confused by all the different ISPs?  Do they know how to access online
>reference materials?  Do they know how to obtain freeware or
>shareware?  Have they tried to network with other freenets or Internet
>community centers?
>
>--gregbo

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"