[Membership] Re: [IFWP] COMMENTS ON M.A.C. RECOMMENDATIONS of MARCH 18

At 05:08 AM 4/11/99 , Ellen Rony wrote:
>IMHO, a membership that is all-inclusive moves ICANN closer to center stage
>as a governance body -- a thought which makes me shudder.  While we know
>that ICANN was established *solely* as an administrative body for the DNS,
>I can imagine that a universal, no-barrier membership body may have
>different assumptions or expectations of ICANN's corporate role -- turning
>to it for complaints about spam and porn and copyright infringement, none
>of which are issues for ICANN. ,

Hi Ellen,

ICANN has *always* been about Internet Governance.

Even while the White Paper and Ira Magaziner were
talking about the "administrative management of
coordinated technical functions for the Internet,"
Larry Irving and Ira Magaziner were talking about
the establishment of Internet Governance!  (It
just depended on the audience ;-)

ICANN is already taking far reaching positions on
Intellectual Property ownership and rights, and it's
only a matter of time before they tackle issues like
spam, porn, etc.

We'd all be better off if we just accept this
fact, and respond accordingly.

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello
President, Iperdome, Inc.