Re: [Membership] Comments

At 08:43 PM 29-04-99 +0100, Jeff Williams wrote:
>Steve and all,
>
>  Digital Signatures or CERTS are not replicatable, so not to worry..  >;)

Digital Signatures has been in existence for nearly (over?) 10yrs now.
However, how many of us _really_ use PGP as our digital signature? *heck*,
I havent even seen one email message on the list which is digitally signed!

No, I agree digital signature is a good form of authentication. It is
excellent form of verification especially during voting process which the
recommandation wish to be conducted online.

However, the amount of awareness and education we need to instil in a
typical net user is huge. Not to mention that encryption is actually
illegal in some countries.

Thus, whatever the case, there must be an alternative form of
authentication. We cannot deny anyone from been an ICANN at-large member
just because he is unable to figure out how to use public-secret key
encryption or he is forbidded by law to use encryption.

-James Seng