1) Name, country, profession, email address: Vittorio Bertola, Italy, Technical
2) Experience with At-Large organizing/At-Large Structures:
2000 Creator and webmaster of vota.italia.to (the only Italian website about ICANN elections)
2000 Most voted candidate from Italy in the first round of European At Large elections
2000-01 Member of the At Large Interim Coordinating Committee (icannmembers.org)
2000-now Coordinator of the At Large Working Group of Societa' Internet (Italian chapter of ISOC)
2002-now Member of the elected governing panel of icannatlarge.org, an online organization with 1000+ members from 75+ countries that aims to build proper representation of individual Internet users in ICANN. Elected Chairman of the organization from April to August 2002 and again since November 2002
2002-now Member of the At Large Organizing Committee
2002-now Member of the At Large Advisory Committee Advisory Group
3) Involvement in ICANN issues relevant to individual Internet users: I am an active participant to the DNSO General Assembly mailing list. In the past months, I have been submitting comments formally or through the GA list, not only on the At Large issues and the Reform process, but also to various policy task forces, and about other issues such as the relationships with ccTLD registries.
4) Involvement in activities relating to the DNS and the Internet's infrastructure:
2000-01 Elected member of the Bylaws Revision group of the Italian Naming Authority (.it policy body)
2001 Elected member of the Executive Committee of the Italian Naming Authority
2001-now Founder and Board member of European Domain Registry asbl, one of the bidders for the role of .eu registry
I am or have been the owner and/or administrative/technical contact for around 50 domain names, and I have been personally operating domain name servers since 1997.
5) Experience with group decision-making and consensus development: As shown above, I have already covered a number of elective or appointive positions in policy-making bodies of various levels, size and type. Other experiences in collective decision-making bodies include a 4-year participation to various governing bodies of the Politecnico (Technical University) di Torino, two of which as a full member of the Board of Directors. I have also been a founder of some local non-profit associations in Italy.
In year 2000, I have participated to the Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) for some months. SDMI was a forum collecting representatives from all top worldwide companies in the fields of music production, recording and distribution, consumer electronics, hardware and software production, with the aim of developing consensus-based business policies and technical specifications to protect the distribution of music over the Internet.
6) Demonstrated commitment to the goals and bylaws of ICANN and the ALAC: I have been constantly participating to the Reform process with comments and suggestions, some of which made their way into the final structure. I want to continue my commitment so that the ideas that I have contributed to form can be actually tested and implemented in practice.
7) Other relevant social, professional experience: Currently, I am President & CTO of Dynamic Fun, a startup company which I have founded, operating in the fields of wireless gaming and wireless marketing.
I have been working for three years (since foundation of the company and until
August 2002) as Chief Technical Officer for Vitaminic, the leading European
company in the field of digital music distribution.
In this role, I have gained experience in technical management and in intellectual property issues over the Internet; moreover, I have managed the technical and administrative tasks for domain
registration, personally registering domain names in over 40 different registries.
Previous positions held in my career include the responsibility of the helpdesk and technical administration of the internal ISP of the Politecnico di Torino. Also, I have been working as a programmer, system administrator, and system architect for Internet-based service platforms.