ICANN Logo

Reconsideration Request 99-1
Submitted by: Eric Brunner and Bob Gough

From: Eric Brunner <brunner@maine.rr.com>
To: <reconsider@icann.org>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 1999 4:48 PM
Subject: Reconsideration Request Notice: VI-B(3)(b)(7) decision

=== Begin Request ===

http://www.iipc.tp/index.html

Pursuant to the Reconsideration Policy adopted March 4, 1999, [ICANN Bylaws, Article III, Sec. 4(a)], the organizers and members of the group which made the (Indigenous) Intellectual Property Constituency proposal envisioned in Article VI-B(3)(b)(7), request that the Interim Board reconsider that body's decison of May 25-27, of provisional recognition of another group as the DNSO's "Trademark, Intellectual Property and Anti-counterfeiting Interest" constituency.

1. (a) Our name, address, and contact information are unchanged from our constituency proposal itself:

Robert P.W. Gough, P.O. Box 25, Rosebud, SD 57570
Phone: (715) 426-1415
Fax: (715) 426-1415
E-mail: rpwgough@aol.com

Eric Brunner
Nokia Research Center
3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 250, Burlington, MA 01803
Phone: (781) 359-5159
Fax: (781) 359-5196
E-mail: eric.brunner@research.nokia.com, brunner@world.std.com, brunner@maine.rr.com

(b) Our URL is now resolved as "www.iipc.tp", under the jurisdiction of the holding agents of the indigenous government in exile of the former Portugese Colony, now occupied by Indonesia, on Timor.

2. The specific action of ICANN for which reconsideration is sought is provisional recognition of a group as the "Trademark, Intellectual Property and Anti- counterfeiting Interest" constituency, envisioned in Article VI-B(3)(b)(7) of the ICANN Bylaws.

3. The date of the action was 25 through 27 May.

4. The manner by which we are affected by the action is non-recognition as the "Trademark, Intellectual Property and Anti-counterfeiting Interest" constituency, and non-membership within that constituency. This adversely affects indigenous intellectual property rights.

5. A temporary stay of the action is requested.

6. The specific steps we ask ICANN to take are:

(a) Specific Fact Issues:

(1) determination of the membership criteria which when applied to our request to obtain equal status as a member group of the the group which obtained provisional recognition, resulted in that group's offer of non-member "observer" or other inferior status.

(2) determination whether this membership criteria and all other criteria were applied consistently by that group.

(3) determination whether the group which obtained provisional recognition made reasonable efforts to "operate to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner and consistent with procedures designed to ensure fairness."

(3) determination of whether any ICANN Provisional Board members other than those specifically noticed by our group were aware that a controversy existed, and that the core issue was not identified.

(4) determination of what discussion the ICANN Provisional Board entertained on the subject of applicant group competencies prior to voting unanimously to extend provisional recognition to a group unable or unwilling to state their basis for excluding equitable indigenous participation in the working process of a VI-B(3)(B)(7) constituency.

(5) determination of which applicable By-Laws or other guidelines, if any, were violated by the parties.

(b) Specific Remedies:

(1) modification of the provisional recognition to extend to our group, in effect, partitioning a single constituency in recognition that no compromise between corporate and indigenous groups was achieved, and that the exclusion of either is unnecessary, and actionable.

(2) modification of subsequent language concerning WIPO's work product to reflect its inadequacy, consistent with our formal response to WIPO RFC3, on record at WIPO's web site.

(3) modification of the VI-B(3)(b)(7) constituency allocation of seats on the Names Council, transferring one seat from the group provisionally recognized at Berlin (corporate) to our (indigneous) group.

7. The grounds on which the action should be modified are asserted in the specific fact issues alleged above. Additionally, should the reconsideration pannel finds no By-Laws fact issue exists, a prima facia case for discrimination exists.

8. We have previously submitted our proposal, and a record of email exchanged in the period in question is already in ICANN's possession. In addition to this, we presently offer the following:

(a) the controlling ICANN text on openness, transparency and fairness for constituency organizers,

(b) A summary of the telephone transactions conducted by the primary point of contact for this constituency proposing group between himself and the organizers of the group which ICANN provisionally recognized.

We request the personal journals of concerned persons be made available, as well as organizational minutes, for the purpose of establishing which specific criteria for "membership" formed the basis for the denial of membership status to our group, within the provisionally recognized one, and for the purpose of establishing that ICANN Board members were aware of the issues, not limited to establishing a record of discriminatory preference along cultural, ethnic, and religious lines.

9. In support of our request for a temporary stay of the action, we offer the following statement of harm which results from non-stay of the action:

The Names Council will not be capable of identifying or of protecting indigenous intellectual property rights while these interests are excluded from that body.

The Interim ICANN Board will share this incapacity at this critical period, and responsibility for having caused or permitting such a situation to arise, with prior knowledge.

The interests of Indigenous Polities and Peoples, specifically the existence of an "indigenous IP" in the Internet, and the interests of the DNSO Names Council in formulating a policy to address the problems posed by a group of advocates of a Euro-American conception of intellectual property rights, and the interests of ICANN in obtaining legitimacy from Indigenous Polities, are all harmed by non-stay of the action.

Sincerely,

Eric Brunner and Bob Gough,
for the (Indigenous) Intellectual Property Constituency proposing group.

Attachments 8(a) and 8(b) follow:
=====

a) ... Constituency organizers are reminded that constituencies will be required (in accordance with Bylaw provisions adopted by the ICANN Board on March 31), to "operate to the maximum extent feasible in an open and transparent manner and consistent with procedures designed to ensure fairness." ...

b)

X-From_: iipc@world.std.com Sat Jun 19 16:23 EDT 1999
To: brunner@maine.rr.com
Subject: Record mail sent to group