ICANN Logo

Reconsideration Request 02-1

Subject: FW: Application for pops.int
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:40:14 +0100
From: "David Ogden" <DOgden@unep.ch>
To: <reconsider@icann.org>
CC: "Jim Willis" <JWillis@unep.ch>

Dear Reconsideration Committee,

This is to request reconsideration of the decision (see below) by IANA not to afford the top level .int of www.pops.int domain name to the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs).

Please see the attached fax of 3 January 2002 from the Director of UNEP Chemicals to Stuart Lynn, CEO and President of ICANN asking for a reversal of the IANA decision referenced above. (We have yet to receive a response to this fax.) As indicated in the letter, we believe the IANA's rejection of our request does not have any legal foundation and may be deemed as unjustified discrimination against the Stockholm Convention. This is particularly troubling since a number of other international treaties have secretariats with provided by the United Nations with the same legal status/personality as does the Stockholm Convention have already been granted .int top level domain names (e.g., www.pic.int, www.basel.int, www.unfccc.int, www.unccd.int) by IANA.

I am also attaching the text of the Stockholm Convention as included in the Final Act of the Conference of Plenipotentiaries that adopted it as well as the list of signatory (112 as of today) to the Convention from the United Nations Treaty Collection.

1. Contact information:

David Ogden, Coordinator
Interim Secretariat for the Stockholm Convention
on Persistent Organic Pollutants
UNEP Chemicals
11-13, chemin des Anemones
CH-1219, Chatelaine, Geneva, Switzerland
tel.: +41-22-917-8190; fax: +41-22-797-3460

2/3. Specific action for reconsideration:

IANA decision of 22 December 2001 not to afford the Stockholm Convention the top level domain name www.pops.int

4. The manner by which the effected party will be effected by this action:

We are unable to establish the official website for the Stockholm Convention with the top level domain name www.pops.int. As IANA had already provided .int domain names to our next door neighbors (both in terms of location and policy) to the Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent (PIC) Procedure for Certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade (www.pic.int), and the Basel Convention on the Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes and their Diposal (www.basel.int) we had assumed that we would be able to receive the www.pops.int domain name. This is simply unfair and requires Parties and others involved or interested in the Stockholm Convention to remember a much longer Internet address than those of the other global environmental conventions dealing with chemical pollution. This also means a delay in our printing and distribution of materials on which our Internet address was to be listed. I.e., how can we say, "For more information please visit our website at www.pops.int" if we can not use this. We have to give people a temporary address until we work this thing out. This is particulary a problem with the thousands of booklets that include the treaty text in the six United Nations languages. This is not helpful and unnecessary.

5. The request does not involve a temporary stay of action.

6. Specific steps: For IANA to reverse earlier decision and afford the requested int address to the Stockholm Convention.

7. Grounds for the reversal. Please see the attached file "ianafax_rv3.doc" -- this document was reviewed by by the legal office of the United Nations Environment Programme who provided much of the text. Basically, the Stockholm Convention fits to two criteria for the int. address, in that it is established by an international agreement (it was adopted by 127 countries and has been signed by 112) and is an independent legal entity and it and its organs (e.g., the secretariat) enjoy independent legal personality.

Please note that Michelle Cotton's suggestion below that we ask the UN for a second level domain name is not helpful and inconsist with IANA's policy of giving top level .int domain names to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change www.unfccc.int, and United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification —www.unccd.

Please let me know if you further questions or other information is needed.

Regards, -David Ogden