
BEIJING – ALAC: Policy Discussion - Part II
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 – 14:00 to 16:00
ICANN – Beijing, People’s Republic of China

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So good afternoon this is the ALAC Policy Discussion Part 2. Apologies for people who are following us remotely, we had a few logistical issues for us to be able to get lunch. Now we do have a good quorum here. This afternoon is going to be looking at the At-Large Policy Development -- the first part discussion of the ALAC Working Group Relations and then afterwards the At-Large Policy Development involving the At-Large structures and the engagement of the At-Large structures.

I hope that we'll get a few more of the regional At-Large structure representatives by the time we reach that point. After that we'll have the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee and we will be speaking to the RALOs about the engagement or how we can engage better and then finishing just before 1600 speaking to Sebastien Bachollet about the ICANN Meeting Strategy Working Group, the SMWG.

At-Large policy development, the ALAC Working Group relations I invite you to open the page of the At-Large working groups. One of the ways to continue or scaling up of the community engagement in the ICANN's processes was to start diving it into different working groups because it's well understood that some people are more interested by one part of the work and might be more knowledgeable about something than others.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

It's very difficult today to be aware of everything that takes place at ICANN. And realizing we are all volunteers we cannot just spend 24 hours a day working on the issues that ICANN has before or puts before us. There are working groups which were started a few years ago and which have grown over time. In the morning we had some updates from some of the working groups and this is really where most of the policy discussion takes place at working group level now.

I've had some feedback from RALOs or ALSs in RALOs who only follow the RALO discussions and believe that there isn't very much that At-Large is doing. Well that's because the discussions don't take place at RALO level. And we will be discussing this a little bit later on. But they take place primarily in those working groups.

Now several of the working groups that you have on that page are internal ones, At-Large engagement in ICANN and the structure accountability and transparency of ICANN. There are more procedural, some are more policy based, the IDN policy, and the new gTLD working group which is chaired by Avri Doria and there's an enormous chunk of work on everything related to new gTLDs.

The message really is to get people more involved in working groups. And I wanted to kick off the conversation by having you share a little bit about your experience with the engagement of volunteers and how could we get volunteers to engage more with working groups. How can we get them to be interested in taking part?

And then I also wanted Alan to share with us some of the external working groups that he's been working with. You will have all noticed a few months ago an email that he sent to the At-Large lists where he has

been engaged in so much work as GNSO liaison of course he is very well aware of what goes on in the GNSO.

And he has therefore been at the heart of many of the discussions in the GNSO. But there should really be - I mean we can't just rely on one person or two or three people. We have 155 ALSs out there.

We have quite a few people in our community and I'm sure judging from some of the debates we've had here that there are other people in the community who are equally - well I cannot say equally as knowledgeable as Alan because Alan is extremely knowledgeable but who would like to follow on.

We've all started somewhere and then grown. I see that Eduardo has put his hand up, so I hand the floor over to Eduardo Diaz.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Mr. Chairman. One of the impressions that I have about impression is that in talking to some of the ALSs they think that like an ALAC working group they don't know that they're allowed to work in those working groups. In fact, I just recruited a person that is not even in ALS, is a fellow.

And she wants to work in a working group. I said sure come work with us. I just recruited her in LACRALO in the summit group and said you can involve that way in the ICANN work. To finish the bottom line is an impression out there and this is my own personal opinion they said being in ALAC you have to be a part of ALAC to work in any working group, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Eduardo. Next is Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. In line with that I think we better scrutinize our website and what we say to call them At-Large working groups. Just as they're GNSO working groups not GNSO Council working groups. We may use the terms interchangeably sometimes and it's probably to our detriment to do it. It's just something we should keep in mind and perhaps check to make sure our web pages aren't saying something we don't want them to say.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Maybe we can make this an action item. Heidi?

HEIDI ULRICH: Thank you Olivier. Alan do you mean the Wiki pages or the web pages.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anything you get to from a browser, so I'm not differentiating. And I'm not saying we're calling them ALAC working groups. I don't know we may be diligently using the term At-Large. But if the impression that Eduardo is relaying is correct and there is no reason to believe it isn't, let's just make sure we're not making any dumb mistakes in nomenclature which end up turning away people. And we may not I just don't know.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: This is just a thought. I know that staff goes out to ALAC when there is a policy that's comments begin sought. There ought to be a specific action item on all of the RALO chairs to then forward that to maybe have a process within the RALO. Maybe we can talk about it, to say this issue has come up, this is why it's important and then do a little bit of background.

Because sometimes we can look at stuff and go oh that's really important but sometimes actually I'm not sure people who aren't living and breathing ICANN necessarily understand the importance of something. Maybe there's a way of doing some translation other than what we do now which is just we now just put in there for comment.

And it may be that RALOs themselves or maybe At-Large we think this is how we can help. Alan's got a response.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Holly, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: As far as I know we're pretty diligent about echoing things everywhere. I know when I send out things I send it to ALAC and At-Large and typically staff then forwards it to ALAC Announce and maybe we should call it At-Large announce next time, but anyway.

And often it includes something in the ALAC one saying please distribute to your RALO. The bottom line is people don't redistribute and the people who get it directly tend to ignore them. That's not good but that is where we are.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. I wanted to have a show of hands how many people are ALAC Announce? So everyone is, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: Every ALAC leader and regional leadership must be because staff is supposed to put us there.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Correct but I want to check also if people who are not part of ALAC, who are not on the committee itself, the 15 member committee, are they also on ALAC Announce. It's just because I see staff does forward many of the news and so on onto ALAC Announce but I don't know whether we every single member on there or people who want to become a member. And maybe it's not obvious enough, then the first step with keeping in touch with what's going on at ALAC might be to be on ALAC Announce, just a thought. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: We generally tend to get both of them and if the announcements are just supposed to go to the 15 members?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: No, perhaps we could ask staff to give us a rundown on the lists again to remind us all what the different lists are. I think there's some confusion that is recurrently coming up. Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI: There is a worldwide which goes to everyone. There is ALAC Announce -

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier I've studied them all recently, I can do that if you want?3

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead Alan please.

ALAN GREENBERG: There is the one that is called At-Large At which often bears the text name worldwide but that's not part of the mailing list name. That is a self-subscribed list. You're on it or you're not depending on how you feel, any anyone can send to it. The ALAC Announce is a self-subscribe list to which staff automatically adds ALAC members and regional leadership only you and staff can send to that one.

And then there are the five RALO discuss lists all of which I believe are self-subscribed and a new person in the region has to self-subscribe although I believe staff adds the leadership of any new ALS to that and the ALAC Announce list.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Rinalia?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: The At-Large Worldwide list is not equivalent to the regional discussion list in total?

ALAN GREENBERG: They are self-subscribed. You can be on one and not the other in any order.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: In my mind that is actually a disaster because if I wanted to send something out to the whole At-Large community automatically what comes to mind of course I would send to At-Large worldwide and I would not copy all the different regional discussion lists. It's not an automatic second step process. That's why I think it's a disaster.

ALAN GREENBERG: We are just about to embark in the next week or so on a final review of our mailing lists and we can change the rules if we want to. But I warn you it's not an intuitively obvious way to do it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. How many of you are subscribed to your regional list, your regional discuss list? And the At-Large at At-Large dot ICANN dot org which is the general At-Large list that anybody can post to? Okay I've heard someone does not know of that one. Anyone can post to that.

That probably is the first one that our members from ALSs or even people who are not technically registered can self-subscribe to and

discuss. There is very low traffic on there and some of the traffic is totally irrelevant. And some people get a bit frustrated about this. But at the same time I think they're unaware that if you want to discuss specific policy items that would probably take place over in the working group lists.

That might be one thing that we need to explain at some point. The ALAC list I gather it's just all the ALAC and regional leads and only the ALAC and regional leads can and liaisons. And then ALAC Announce is the announce list. And I think we should really make it clear to newcomers that this should be subscribed to this.

HEIDI ULRICH:

Every new At-Large structure representative is sent a copy of the ALS Starter Kit which matt or I will put into the Adobe Connect chat in a moment. And that very clearly lists all of the various mailing lists. Also Matt subscribes all new ALS representatives to the relevant mailing lists for their region which includes ALAC, At-Large, the worldwide, etc. depending on who they are, yeah as far as I know.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay thank you Heidi. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Olivier. Heidi just said that every new [Inaudible 00:17:25] subscribed to ALAC worldwide, so Rinalia's concern no longer exists because everyone is on that list. Still I propose that this be reviewed

and Alan does it because he is the person who most studied this list and he knows very well what's on them and what's not on them.

If we ask Alan to make a list of lists and to tell us who is on each list and we hold a specific meeting for that to give him the chance and to give everyone the chance to receive these announcements when the announcements are addressed to everyone. But I don't think participating in a working group is really related to this information as far as certainly this information is important and people don't receive the information in time or at all.

But what's most important I think and I assure you that if you're not interested in something you will never engage in a working group. What's crucial is to get people interested. How do we get them interested? That's another discussion and I think we could look into it. There are some tough subjects and there will always be an Alan Greenberg to do it or someone else.

But with regard to the other subject that everyone connects - in getting people interested materially is not enough. They should be interested. And we also have to write rules. I propose that participating in the summit operation be equivalent and active participation in At-Large work.

Each of us should find a means to participate one way or another. If we don't have this sort of distinction between those who are useful and those who are not there will always be someone who is useless taking over the place over someone who would be useful.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Next we have Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay a couple of things. When an ALS joins I believe we add the lead representative from the ALS to various lists. We've always worked on the assumption there is more than one person in every ALS. We're talking about a much wider list than the ones that are automatically subscribed. It is not unknown that someone after three days says what's all this email and unsubscribes themselves, which is allowed.

There is nothing to stop it. We do have lists which we think all of the official representatives are on the ALAC Announce. Many of them are on the ALAC worldwide. Many of them are on the regional discuss lists. The exact intersection of them is difficult to know. One could import them into a database and figure out who is on what list. I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

But the bottom line is we know that there are a lot of people, hundreds and hundreds of people who receive these messages. Typically no one responds. That's the problem we need to address, not to make sure that the mailing lists are perfect which is something we should do. But we're not capturing the real problem.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: But Alan do we have the address of all the members of each ALS. We have only the addresses of the representatives as you said.

ALAN GREENBERG: A lot of members do self-subscribe if the ALS is doing a good job at telling them about ICANN, we don't know to what extent many ALSs are doing that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: We're talking about mechanics here. This is a policy afternoon. We always run short of time on these things. And if there are issues what is the factual of who is subscribed what we can tackle that as a technicality as a matter of policy versus implantation - this is a policy afternoon so I'm going to suggest if there's an issue of mechanics that we can take offline.

In terms of strategy and policy getting back to the stuff that is actually up there, how do we have good relationships between ALAC and the working groups? How do we increase participation? This is all relevant. This is all necessary. The mailing lists are one particular tool of that. I'd like to try and get back on track on that and less on the mechanics of how the mailing lists operate, thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Heidi? Evan, sorry.

HEIDI ULRICH: Just very briefly, Tijani if I could suggest that rather than asking Alan to take on that tremendous job of sorting through all of the At-Large lists that we ask our IT department to do that, okay. I think that Olivier

wanted to add one point about bringing on new At-Large structures and forming them.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, one of the things that could be done and I highly urge that it would be done would be to have some webinars for our newly arrived ALSs on many of the topics we actually deal with so that it is part of capacity building but it's something that we can do that's it's something that staff is able to do. And we've actually conducted some webinars recently.

They're not particularly onerous and they're very helpful. The feedback we've had so far is that they're very helpful. They also create content which can be referred to later on. And so this is one of the things we can do to move forward. Of course then with the view to then get people interested in the working groups and join the working groups and move in that direction. Yaovi?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: I just want to remind us that Alan already said something and request for comment about the list. I assume that you responded and then because he sent everything and requested comments and then we also informed people that there is a list. I think it is from our side. The [Inaudible 00:24:51] that he set out from ALS we have at least one representative. And there's no only one person per ALS. I think the question is it's from us.

We are here, when we are back home our members are they informed about what's happening. If I'm not informing people I have to be sure that I'm [Inaudible 00:25:16] 100% of the time. I can talk about all the issues. If I cannot do that I have to find in my ALS or in my region or to people I am representing I have to share the information with them, so that if I'm not ready to contribute and there is a need to contribute somebody else can contribute.

The problem is there. I think [Inaudible 00:25:38] and participant of ALAC members we have a role to play because if you are not sharing the information, if you are the only people in the country or in the region and we are not sharing back the information or we are [Inaudible 00:25:51] don't know what is happening at ICANN [Inaudible 00:25:54]. People don't know there is a meeting, so that is the point.

I think if you are able we have to find a [Inaudible 00:25:59] it's very difficult. People even at the local level, people are not participating. But you have to find a way to have all the people contribute. Even if you represent the ALS [Inaudible 00:26:11] be informed so if I represent or I cannot be in the meeting [Inaudible 00:26:17] we cannot believe we have an ALS that is not participating in a meeting but is [Inaudible 00:26:23]. So if I'm not present there is no person, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Yaovi. That will go into the second part of our agenda which will be the ALS engagement.

GARTH BRUEN: I suggest that email lists are rapidly becoming an outdated mode of communication and that for this purpose, collaboration in working groups we should have a tool which allows for tasks and results and goal driven methodology. Email is great for talking back and forth between people. It is not good for this kind of work.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you and that will be an action item for Dev further down for his working group on technology. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: We are not talking about mailing lists to do the work. We're talking about waking people up that there is something to do work on. But let's stop talking about mailing lists please.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi?

HEIDI ULRICH: Again quickly again I encourage all of us who are interested in this collaboration issues and mailing lists and non-mailing lists to come to the Technology Task Force meeting tomorrow, 9:30-10:30. We're going to be having Chris Gift who was here Sunday who is going to be talking about collaboration tools, non-mailing lists etc. I think that you might wish to - that might benefit you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi.

VICTOR DUNAN: Thank Olivier. I think my point goes to the second part about ALS engagement.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Salanieta?

SALANIETA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: In terms of policy development, just a few comments. I'd like to quote the exact words that was used by one of our very active working group members, [Inaudible 00:28:46], from India. He mentioned that his first experience in going into the Wiki was like he was going into a forest and this somebody who I consider to be very technically competent and is very capable in terms of transitioning. And so if he's having that kind of feeling imagine the average end-user as far as policy is concerned. One of the first things I'd like to suggest is I suppose the issue in terms of knowledge management particularly pertaining to policies how we present the information.

And one of the things I'd like to suggest and I suppose this is something we're also exploring in the CB Working G one of the things we'd like to see is a chronology of historical information. And I think the constituency that sets the pace is the whole of ICANN is the GNSO. We can take a page or two from them. I remember when we first joined the ALAC and we were part of the IDN working group one of the first things we proceeded to do was to create a chronology of historical documents pertaining to IDNs.

And for policies if the same can be done we have not only the chronology but you can also have a summary. What happens is you don't have just one or two persons being the policy experts in that subject area but you allow for the

various ALSs to [Inaudible 00:30:21] access the chronology of documents or access a summary of how that policy has developed and has evolved, that's all.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Sala. Dev is the Technology Task Force working with knowledge management as well? Or does it just look at the technology itself?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, strictly speaking I would say yes but in an indirect way. We have received lots of concerns. And what Sala has said you know that navigating the Wiki is like going into a technology forest and you get lost. I have received that comment from many persons that trying to find information is very difficult, how the Wiki is organized. In tomorrow's session I'll try to outline how the At-Large space is structured and possibly one or two tips to get to the destination.

Swinging back to the issues regarding getting more persons involved in the working groups I think what has to happen is that at least once a week the schedules for all the working groups has to go up. And then what happens is the beginning of the week people know what's happening each day. This is the schedule. And I think we could probably work with the At-Large calendar, here's the links and that's one way to make people aware. Here is the group, it's having a meeting, feel free to jump in or listen in.

Secondly there has been a huge improvement since January in regards to the production of transcripts and it's happening within four days after a meeting which is a huge benefit. And I think this is a huge opportunity now to allow persons that are not in a working group directly but can follow what is happening and can then decide hey I want to jump in. This also allows I think in terms of transcripts that could be machine translated and the Wiki does a fairly good job of the machine translation of the PDFs.

These are some of the ideas. But the core suggestion let's have the schedule of the working groups, when they're having it, have it posted to the ALAC Announce which I think is a policy in terms of policy all the At-Large structures representatives must be subscribed to. I think that for the ALSs not to be aware of what's happening at the ALAC level is bizarre to me. I think that's a policy that must be subscribed to ALAC Announce, no question.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Dev. With regards to the ALAC calendar that is published, what can you link that to? Are there any tools or things you can link that to to be told about what's happening on any given day?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay thank you, again, well when you subscribe to the calendars there is a possibly getting email notification. For example, for myself because there is so much work going on I simply set it for email notifications two hours before and then 15 minutes before. That's where I know oh there's going to be a call in the next two hours or an hour.

If you can setup email notifications from the calendar to go to a general list and then that goes to everybody. In other words we are subscribing everybody to the calendar. If they want to subscribe to the calendar directly great but -

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: How do you do that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: There is an item on the technology task force work space which talks about how to subscribe to the calendar. I think earlier in the Skype chat there was the Beijing links were posted so that people could subscribe to the entire Beijing schedule. In terms of for the calendar to get email notifications I think

that's more of a technology issue. And I think that is solvable so that any calendar event can be emailed and forwarded to every list.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Dev. Before Rinalia has a question, another poll, how many of you know about the calendar the subscribing and all this? How many of you use the calendar?

EDUARDO DIAZ: What I do is link my Google calendar to that calendar and it shows up in my calendar, that's it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Rinalia?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you chair. I just want to say I did exactly what Eduardo did which is to link it to my Google calendar and it helps me get organized for the ICANN calls and meetings that are being held. It also tells me what's happening even though I'm not participating in that at least I'm aware something is happening and there are updates.

The question I have for Dev to help us navigate the Wiki better is that when they generate this locator addresses, the URLs it always ends up in squiggles and it annoys me so much that we cannot put a proper name that can help us with searches. If you can address this for tomorrow's technology workshop that would be really good, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Rinalia. Do you think that it would be a good thing to put together a guide to setting up your calendar and would that help in working group relations? In other words you could subscribe to a calendar for a working group and you would know that you have a call on this day and that day. I admit as far as I'm concerned I need to have that calendar because otherwise it's totally impossible to keep track. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Not only do I use the calendars very well. As a matter of fact I wish I could use them even more. Things like the working groups and when ALAC members are participating on GNSO working groups. I know that one more than one occasion I have missed a GNSO working group call because I've looked at my calendar and not seen anything there and forgot to put it in manually. Not only do I like I almost depend on them too much. If it's possible and it's not too much work to also add the GNSO working groups on which there is At-Large representation that would be extremely valuable, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Evan. Heidi?

HEIDI ULRICH: Gisella is listening to this and I'm going to ask her to write the answer. I believe the answer is yes because Gisella also and many of the Secretariat support handle both GNSO and At-Large working groups. They would be able to do that. Yes, okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you Gisella.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That would be great thank you. Second question to Heidi is there any document that staff might have written that explains how to subscribe to the calendars, how to manage that because I'm not sure whether we have to write something or whether it's already been drafted.

HEIDI ULRICH: Indeed this is one of the tasks that the Technology Task Force has to come up with in terms of providing a help desk type service to solve these types of issues. There is a draft article already on the technology Task Force workspace talking about the calendar and so forth. What I'm thinking of doing is probably doing a short video of some sort just to walk through the actual steps because it's probably still a little too technical at this point. But I'm willing to take this as an action item.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Dev. And lastly on this point because we did start with working group relations does anyone have any suggestions to promote the working groups better than we are at the moment?

GARTH BRUEN: We're a volunteer community. And good volunteers are actually very hard to find. And many volunteers volunteer in many projects. Incentives are good. Incentives are very good to get people to the table and incentives in many different kinds. It terms of getting somebody to a working group it's also important to have them present, so of course travel sponsorship comes up as one of the first things.

We have an all or nothing thing here with travel sponsorship, you either get full or you get nothing and you're on your own to come to the meeting. I think if we come up with a way to do a partial to incentivize people to come and work

and as we say in the states earn their keep. And then work their way up to a full sponsorship, just an idea.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Garth. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks once upon a time it used to be practice that every member of the ALAC, all of the 15 were assigned a role of either a chair or liaison of a working group and were expected to participate in it. And the At-Large summit at Mexico every group had a representative and had a chair that came from ALAC and came from the regional leadership. It was a requirement. If somebody's elected to ALAC I don't think it's too much to ask that their participation is expected on at least one working group of their choice.

I don't think it's too much to ask. And even something as small as that could go a long way to making the working groups more effective and sharing the load, thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. I think that is the case. I've looked at the different mailing group lists and all ALAC members are involved in some of the working groups to various extents, one extreme being Alan. Yaovi?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: I want to say something that can help is technology. And I want to disagree with Bruen that email should be the most important because what about busy and [Inaudible 00:43:15] are the most important. What about busy you are you'll receive an email? If there is something through the technology they are using email should be the most used. You will receive an email about something happening, about a meeting you read it [Inaudible 00:43:35].

This new technology sometimes it requires additional tools that are not already to have. Email should be very important, whatever technology you are implementing you have to link it email. This is the only way to help us and keep us informed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Yaovi. Oksana?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Thank you Olivier. I would like to discuss first of all encouragement of members to participate in working group. Of course first of all its sponsorship for participation in the meetings in person. But besides it's recognition before a local community. For example if Olivier will come to [Inaudible 00:44:35] and say great things to our members of our group participating in any documents and so it will be really great. And even maybe during remote participation. And my point is about email user friendly.

You have to understand that this is the first stage of participation of new ALSs. And when you ordered me to subscribe to this email it was absolutely not understandable for me. And without participation again in person in your meeting I could not understand anything. Email list has to be a priority for all of our activities not from only technology point of view but from understanding, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Oksana. And I hope that staff has taken note of this because we've seen in the wider ICANN world the launch of many initiatives that the CEO has shepparded along with his different VPs and this is I think something that pretty much mirrors what he has heard and I guess something

we've heard recognition of volunteers is something that's really important. I've heard it from at least two people here in various different ways.

It doesn't need to be a cash incentive. But it can be all sorts of incentives. And that's something we need to really work on. I see that Matt has a question.

MATT ASHTIANI:

Gisella wanted to say that she wants to add something about the dial out requests. We send numerous requests to the usual dial out members. And only ever hear from the same people. We then spend quite a bit of time trying to connect members to calls. Please remember to confirm your participation on working group calls and your dial outs.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Matt. I think we're moving towards Part 2 which is the ALS relations. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

And that's exactly what Gisella said that's exactly what I said before. People are not interested to fill in the [Inaudible 00:47:05]. How do you expect them to participate?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

That's a very fair point. I've been caught a couple of times on this one, not filing the Doodle and then ending up with a time which wasn't suitable for me. Let's move on with the ALS participation, how to get the ALSs more and more engaged. There was a question earlier that Yaovi made, how do we inform our members in our ALSs? To what extent do we inform our members? How do we inform our ALSs ourselves? Do we need to use a certain chain, any specific ways? Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. We normally tell our ALS through the monthly teleconferences through those calls for the AFRALO and nothing about recent activities of ALAC and the future and recent activities of AFRALO members. So it is an item for information. We know that those who are interested and who are participating would be informed we also have some [Inaudible 00:48:51] about all the work we do and the working group. But Heidi also work and the group of Heidi also work on that issue or that item.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani, Oksana?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: To attract members of ALSs and member of community and the representatives of all end-users we have the relevant issues. I am extremely serious. For example just discuss situation with [Inaudible 00:49:26] ccTLD it would be great achievement for ICANN. And it can break the wall between Ukraine and ICANN, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Oksana. You as a representative of your ALS do you take part because - this is a highly specialized part of work and we've just spoken about working group and I believe that would fit well into the IDN working group. Do you think there should be local working groups well because some parts o the world such as Asia might have more involvement with IDNs than Latin America or Caribbean or maybe not or different involvement?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Absolutely. [Inaudible 00:50:18] IDNs they are now in China and maybe in the Caribbean and elsewhere. And you have to create common rules and we have to receive any help from ICANN to make these rules very reliant and very

transparent and accountable. All post-soviet countries, all Russian speaking countries will benefit from this process.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Wouldn't this be something that the IDN working group be dealing with rather than a local RALO?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Actually it has to be an IDN working group because there is some difference between new gTLDs and IDN principles. And as far as I understand new gTLDs it's just commercial projects. But I see a lot of higher level of public interest protection regarding new gTLD than regarding IDN. It seems to me it's not correct.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay thank you Oksana. We have Susan Chalmers.

SUSAN CHALMERS: Thank you, just in responding to your question, myself as a newcomer to the space and also relatively new to the environment I think perhaps I could offer my thoughts on how I tried to engage internet and zed members because I think there are a lot of synergies in between the ways in which I should hope to engage members on topics of interest that aren't necessarily familiar to them or difficult to approach.

If there are a few - I think the best way is to present in a very simplified format, obviously it's going to be overarching in general. But just a statement of what the organization's purpose is, what its goals are, where it falls within the greater context, very simple approachable statements. And then also people are going to engage on issues that are relevant to them, so internet and zed for

example my portfolio I work on things from copy to fiber transition to copywrite and everything in between.

So you only get people who want to engage on one of those topics or perhaps two or three. I think that having a short description of the current issue with opportunities for engagement be it a Doodle poll or invitation to other forums. I think that sincerely could help and even if it's in a PDF document that could be sent out, just very simple. That's how I think you could bring in more people.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: What lists are you as representative of your ALS?

SUSAN CHALMERS: The ALAC - I'm sorry I can't remember.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: If I could help you, I'm asking you if you're the sole channel of information between your ALS and what's happening the At-Large world and in the ICANN world.

SUSAN CHALMERS: Yes I am. I have been following some of the discussions particularly with reference to the closed generics working group and we did participate in that. I'm relatively new to on the At-Large structure so I'm still trying to find the best way to engage. Any tips would also be welcomed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Are you aware that you're able to subscribe more than one person from your ALS to different working groups and so on because I think it's very difficult for one person to be able to channel everything in and out especially because

some issues are technical. Some issues are more on the legal side, very varied, except if you have superman and superwoman who knows everything about everything. I think it's something that people don't see as a challenge. That's something that I've notice. Fatima?

FATIMA CARBONERA:

Thank you Olivier. This experience that we have in LACRALO regarding the increase of participation of ALSs, we have shared with you this in other opportunities. But since we have new members I think it is important to share this experience with you once again to see if you can make the most of it. Since Costa Rica meeting where LACRALO had the capacity building program we started with Natalia an initiative to have in our LACRALO monthly calls the first hour during the first part of our teleconference a capacity building session.

We don't need to invest money in that or much effort. We are the people in the community we train ourselves. And this year we keep on using that program. We had a survey sent out to the whole LACRALO community so that the members may decide which topics they would like to receive training on. We extended a bit longer. We went beyond ICANN and we deal with governance issues now and there was based on this program better participation of ALS members in the monthly call.

They stay on the call and there are more people participating now in the working groups not only in LACRALO but also in At-Large and ALAC working groups. There are many people working now so we believe that with this experience we have achieved some good results. Of course we need more participation but we have made a lot of progress.

This might be useful for you our experience. If you're interested we can collaborate with you and we will keep on using this program this year. And would like to mention that one of the topics that was voted to receive capacity

building had to do with the use of tools in participation, for example the use of At-Large Wiki page, so thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Fatima. And I think that you've touched exactly on the sort of thing that I wanted to touch on in this meeting. The RALOs in my view, I think they are the most competent people to be close to their ALSs, to know what their ALSs really need.

And so I think that the RALOs have a vital part to play in conveying that information simply because they are there conveying it locally and getting that capacity building not in the wider sense of capacity building but basically getting the input, getting the ALSs engaged actively and getting their active interest on a local level. By that it's not only informational but also being able to engage the members, engage the ALS representatives and maybe even other people within that ALS to come onto the mailing list, to come into the working groups and to get involved more.

I must say looking at what LACRALO has done that is a pioneering thing. I'm very pleased to see the raise in the interest in the region; especially I have also noticed some remote participation from your part of the world. It's really good to see that and I hope that other RALOs could follow this sort of model. It's more work but it's very satisfying to see involvement grow at RALO level.

And I guess if involvement takes place at RALO level then involvement will continue in the working groups and in the ALAC. It's a whole pyramid we have to do here. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE:

This is what I want to suggest, first of all attend tomorrow's session with Dev we're all going to learn a lot. Once you find the At-Large Policy Page it's really useful because you can just run your eye down, see what is current, when the

deadlines are, who is doing it and comment. When we finally got the hookup between the confluent and that it suddenly all became easy. I think that maybe with tomorrow I'm certainly going to be listening to Dev. It becomes really useful. It's a really good place to start to say this is what's on.

And then you can get through and see the things you feel competent about or you've got an opinion about and it's become a lot easier than it was to find that page and then to contribute, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Holly, Sala?

SALANIETA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: Just quickly to share from my experience, I've literally like most other ALAC members have been sending stuff to ALS and we experimented with having a separate mailing list to deal with ICANN related matters because someone had suggested setting aside working groups. And I think most of you would recognize or probably share similar challenges.

Is that true particularly in terms of comments on the policies or comments in the statements of something that people are not ready or they're very reluctant to participate either because they don't care, they have millions of other things to do or they don't or it's like I suppose irrelevant which is probably the same category above and this one of the fundamental reasons why we've been trying to push capacity building.

And so one of the things in terms of communicating with the ALS at the Board meeting last year or was it a General Assembly when we had the AGM one of the things I had put to the board and also put to the community was to sort of initiate capacity building track for the Board to consider putting that in place. And it has to transcend meetings. And for those of you who come from similar

jurisdictions like us in the Pacific where we are 22 countries scattered across the sea, face-to-face meetings can be a challenge.

And I'm sure it's a similar thing for Africa and I note that some of the ALSs are spread across vast distances. And so also the issue of communicating over the internet for some of the developing world bandwidth is expensive. For example, in Solomon Islands one of the countries in the Pacific to access 20 megs is \$300 US. And that's just for the average end-user.

There are challenges or some other jurisdictions in the Pacific where spam kills your bandwidth. In terms of web conferences like Adobe participation on the Adobe Connect is a huge problem. In terms of capacity building and designing mechanisms for ALS engagement I experimented last year when I couldn't come to Toronto, I ran two tracks and in fact I was targeting 15 year olds to 30 year olds.

And it ended up that we went to - there was so much interest that the oldest that attended was a 60 year old person and professionals from various organizations. They were interested in critical internet resources. In fact, for the first time some of them were like IPv6, oh ICANN. and so [Inaudible 01:05:30] who is the ICANN representative in the pacific from global partnerships he was able to even though he came for the [Inaudible 01:05:39] he was able to physically be present and participate.

And I must say Heidi remember the brochures that you gave me, they came in handy. So what I would suggest in terms of a practical and even RARs like [Inaudible 01:05:58] they were very supportive in terms of physically sending their regional trainers to facilitate trainings on the ground.

And I suppose from a practical perspective the ALSs were present in today's meeting if they can ask Heidi if she can get them some brochures and you take them back home and organize something for two hours, three hours just talk about ICANN and whatnot. But it has to start somewhere, the discussion has to

start from somewhere and so you can talk about DNS. It has to be a led approach.

And so hopefully through the capacity building workshop, ICANN Academy and various other initiatives yeah, we should be able to see some traction.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Sala. Next is Rinalia. The queue is closed now because we do need to get moving afterwards.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: One thing that I realized about the policy development in ICANN is that if you are new to ICANN and you want to participate in the policy development traction or effective participation happens at the beginning. When they launch the process then the uptick is easier because then you start at the same basis.

If you're coming in midstream it is really difficult to try to understand what is going on because even though you have the document depository the context is missing. My suggestion for the ALSs in addition to having capacity building that explains in brief that these are the issues if you're interested go and join this working group and it happens that the working group is already midstream ask if you could have the chair to perhaps spare some time before a particular working group call or after to talk with the newcomers to explain a little bit of the context or at least explain where they are.

Because if the chair were to take up the actual meeting time to do this explanation for the newcomers it is at the detriment of the work process for the rest of the working group -- if somehow the chairs are willing to do that then we could balance that at little bit, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Rinalia that's a very interesting idea. There is also another which staff has reminded me of a way of getting more comments to when we send a request for comments from the community have a little sideline on the Wiki that explains how that might affect internet users. In effect that brings it home rather than you know would you like to come into the RAA? What is the RAA? I don't know. I don't care.

Would you like to comment on something that is going to affect you in the future and make you pay more or less, lose your rights to do whatever you want; it just brings things a lot more home. I see a lot of nodding heads. José?

JOSE ARCE: Good afternoon. I just wanted to make a brief comment regarding this topic in order to supplement Fatima's comment. We have been dealing with this issue in LACRALO for quite a while. And we have become sort of specialists in engaging ALSs a little bit more. And we have devoted plenty of our energies to this initiative. Of course I thank Fatima and Natalia for creating this capacity building program that we have been implementing since last year.

Personally I do not think there is something that can suit or fit the five regions. I believe that each region may have different realities. I don't know all the other RALOs and their specific realities. But each of these RALOs might go deeper into the reasons of why people are not engaged or do not participate. Because if you seek participation without knowing the causes of the absence of participation it could be useful to convey surveys as we did or to communicate with each of the ALSs to find this out.

This is something I wanted to bring to the floor. Sylvia, Natalia, Fatima and I spoke about this while we were having lunch. And Fatima raised our awareness and she said what you really need to do is speak with each of the persons that integrate the ALSs. And I myself in LACRALO I have not done so. I don't know about the other RALOs but I believe this what we should do. We

should take our time to speak with each of the ALS representatives. We have two representatives per ALS. In some cases we have more persons.

But we need to take some time to speak with these people and Sylvia prepared a survey that Fatima mentioned. And the survey enabled us to identify certain things. For instance, people are interested in topics that are not debated within the At-Large community. So this is alarming. We have ALS representatives that apparently do not know what we are debating or what we do here within ICANN.

They put forth issues for debate that are on other forum agendas. At least since I took over the chair of LACRALO I have noted that there is a critical factor in our region in Latin America and the Caribbean regarding absence of participation and that has to do with an awareness or lack of knowledge. We are trying to go deep into that to find out the reason of that lack of awareness. We have a relatively new working group in line with the capacity building working group.

That is the LACRALO leveling working group. The aim of that group is to work with the ALSs and it targets ALSs or potential ALSs so that they are all leveled. And that will be useful to the entire community. In short the idea is to bridge that gap. If an association or organization applies for ALS membership the idea is that that organization should be able to participate fully in immediately.

Because sometimes a newly elected or appointed ALS do not know what to do or how to proceed when they become a member in the region. We do have excellent materials such as the beginner's guide which we send to the newly certified ALS. And I think that in most cases the recipient does not read the material. The material is very good in itself. I think that the failure is the channel the communication channel.

So that is why with this leveling group we are focusing on the channel of communication. We do not want to have this gap between the newly certified ALS and the fully engaged ALS. This is not going to be a mandatory training however we do want ALSs to have the opportunity to access that information by means of a friendly channel not only by email or in the form of a document. We are tackling this problem from the root cause.

Maybe from the stage prior to the ALS certification within our community and I believe we will reach very good results in the short term, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much José for this very comprehensive detailing of what you're doing in LACRALO. I'm very aware of what's going on LACRALO since I'm following what is going on from a certain distance of course. I think it was important for you to enumerate the work that is currently being done in your region. It's something which I would suggest other RALOs should be looking at as well.

If we're going to build things bottom up then building the RALOs, building the engagement at RALO level and building it up is probably going to have more of a chance than the ALAC trying to push things down on the RALOs and get the RALOs to do things or else. Garth Bruen?

GARTH BRUEN:

Well said José. I think that we as officers within At-Large have a responsibility to make a bottom up process work by reaching down the ladder because those who are truly on the bottom can only get to where we are with our help. And that's why we have to reach down to our ALSs, find new ALSs who are not at the table. And I spoke about it at length during our NARALO meeting this morning, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Garth. I'm well aware of the time that is passing quickly. We're supposed to move on now to the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee. This was actually just a placeholder just to announce that there would be a second round of requests that one can file. Before that I wanted to thank you for the input that we got on this discussion.

I would like the discussion to continue because ALS engagement and having the questions and policy and things from the top all the way down to the edges is really important and I see it more as a problem of communication as anything else. Yes it takes hard work at all levels but it's like the weakest link isn't it? There just needs to be one link in the chain that fails and the information doesn't get through.

And at that point we lose complete parts of the world. I think it's a very sad that this happens. There is certainly more work to be done in this direction. Finance and Budget Subcommittee quick announcement there is going to be a second round. The first round of RALO requests was initially we thought we could batch all the RALO requests together and have those all approved in the fast track.

The fast track being any requests that would be required for events taking place before the end of October 2013, but not since it appears a number of RALOs have somehow missed the deadline and it was a bit rushed, we will have a second round.

I believe that it's - I don't have the exact dates for the deadlines but it's probably - Even do you have the dates? No. We will send an announcement out to the lists and the Finance and Budget Subcommittee will be looking at those. I see Tijani was first.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: If you are asking about the deadline for the second, it is 19 of this month, please hurry up.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay thank you. Glen?

GLEN MCKNIGHT: Are you talking about the budget for fiscal period this year or next year?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: FY '14 which starts on July 1, 2013. It's bizarre. These are the FY '14 requests. That's why we were asking for a fast track for anything that starts happening 1 July 2013 onwards. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: My question is these budget requests keep getting tossed over the wall and occasionally some get accepted. Is there any way ahead of time finding out which strategic priorities drive what gets accepted and what gets rejected? Because the traditional problem has been we submit things and then the answer comes back well this didn't get put in because it didn't meet with the strategic plan for this year.

I wish we could know ahead of time what parts of the plan would be of interest so we're not wasting the time of volunteers putting forward projects that really wouldn't get in but they wouldn't tell us in advance that they wouldn't.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: thank you very much Evan. Over the years the process has evolved. There was a time we were tossing things over the wall and not getting any answer. Last year we did get some feedback although some of the feedback was a bit

strange. For example the ICANN [Inaudible 01:21:48] was nothing to do with ICANN. Well of course it's not an ICANN event per se but it was something that is related to ICANN.

It's very bizarre to have had such an answer. The strategic priorities Evan are in the strategic plan. And I do not know whether we would be told whether one of the strategies was more important than another one of the strategies at the time. I don't think we would ever be able to find if that's the case or not. I will hand the floor over to Glen McKnight.

GLEN MCKNIGHT:

It's one thing mapping a financial request to a strategic plan. But if there's an overabundance, there's obviously five or six strategic plan items if the financial requests are gravitating to one or two and the other strategic plan items are ignored there must be a weighing system in the process of selection I assume.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you. Some of the weighing system is done by the Finance and Budget Subcommittee depending on whether it fits the priorities of the plan. But in most of the requests they've all been submitted at the same priority because we really leave it to the ICANN finance process to deal with it. ICANN finance has in the past come back and said if you have to make a choice which one would you go for? And that's when the engagement comes in and the engagement back and forth comes in. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I guess my concern has been about the lack of transparency in the way that the particular strategic priorities get determined. ALAC has never put forward to my knowledge a project that hasn't had explicit listing of meeting the strategic plan issues for any particular plan year for any particular strategic plan. They

haven't been passed through. Everything that we have sent through has met some of the strategic priorities.

It's just I wish we could get told ahead of time on any particular year where the slant was. This level of opaqueness and not knowing okay we've got this big strategic plan what we really want to do is focus on these three things but we're not going to tell you which of those three things until we've made our decisions. This is a very frustrating process to go through. And it wastes volunteers' time.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. Heidi who is the ExCom going to meet with on Friday?

HEIDI ULRICH: You're going to be meeting with Steve Crocker, David Oliver, and Steve Antono.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So perhaps Steve Crocker would be able to let us know what the strategy is this year specifically. Sebastien?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That would be Board strategic priorities not necessarily what the finance people have interpreted that to be when they pick which projects to fund and which they don't. The Board may have its ideas. By the time it filters out to what projects get approved and which don't, that can take some very interesting shifts.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: How does it work Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

First of all as you know there is no new strategic plan this year. It's something starting and I think it's important to be involved in these discussions the next few months. When the difference they see the request it goes to the finance team at the staff level. They put a list and they say this one we will support, this one we don't think it's a good idea to support.

And for example, we get 24 different projects from all the SOs and ACs for the full force months of the fiscal year. They suggest taking 12 of the 24 and the Board Finance Committee accepts that. And it will go to the Board and the Board will make the final decision. And now you are asking for the next eight months of the year, I know that [Inaudible 01:26:57] I am biased but frankly speaking next years the summit, push a summit.

If you want to have a different issue, we will get into trouble to explain why the main project and there are others. I can understand that you want to do other things. But sometimes you need also to decide what is most important, where you want to put the money. And I just want to raise that it's not yet a done deal. I know that there are a lot of people who agree to have this summit. But it's necessary to have or take care, it's part of how you want to present [Inaudible 01:27:51].

My impression and I have no rules written but it's - the answer very often is [Inaudible 01:28:07] ICANN meeting or not linked with an ICANN meeting is one type of answer. For the rest it's really depending on the level of the money. And it's not just to tell you this one from you it's not accepted, it's also to see the overall project, what is happening in the others.

For example, there were a lot of projects of outreach and staff decided to put all that in one bucket and to take that into account and not to take each project from each SO and AC in this arena. Then it's some ideas that there are already on the table about the subject, that's all I can say about the process.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Sebastien. We are running out of time and we should even be speaking to you about something else as well. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sebastien I don't think you've answered his question. Evan is not speaking of this year, not the summit in particular. He's speaking in broader terms. In fact this question as was asked previously. And I understand perfectly it's just that as of last year - going back to the strategic plan in fact - and every year there is a project which goes through a public comment period and every year we prepare a statement on the strategic plan.

So if we had something that we have to change or if we see the priorities are not right we can say it. We have the possibility of having an impact on that and changing it instead of commenting on it. It may not be taken into account of course but at least that's an opportunity we have. The last year the assessment was done together with us and I remember perfectly well because I represent ALAC before the Finance Committee.

We held a special teleconference for me to explain what the criteria are when we have a [Inaudible 01:30:41] and assess proposals and requests. That was transparent. They used those criteria and the results you saw what they were. I'm not happy with the results either because as Olivier said when we speak of ICANN and we say that ICANN uses a means we should say that ICANN cannot fund one event or one ICANN meeting which is not logical either.

But that's the reason they should have given us. To my mind you speak of opacity, I don't think it's opaque. I think it's transparent. Not just enough, it's transparent to me. But I hope in the future we can do better, if not we should read the strategic plan and if we contribute the statement we write the result will be closer to what we want, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani and Jean Jacques Subrenat?

JEAN JACQUES SUBRENAT: Thank you chair, so much for business as usual. I'd like to take up something different which is the way forward, why? Because we're coming into a new world, potentially ICANN is about to have a financial income of an order of magnitude superior to what it is today possibly. Even the chair said so this morning at the Board Alumni Breakfast with the current Board members.

I think this is the time when we as the ALAC should be thinking even further than what Tijani mentioned, planning one year ahead, etc. No we have to be braver than that. Now is the time I think to fix ourselves more ambitious goals, objectives. And to have this prepared in time to put out our arguments to the chair and to the CEO in the coming months so that when this new windfall becomes available we are ready.

If we go on talking only about business as usual we will miss that opportunity. What is it that we can think of as worthwhile objectives and objectives we may defend as legitimate on the part of ALAC? One I think is already to think about a third summit in a few years from now. But having a summit is fun but what for? We have to define the objectives before we think about the numbers. The second thing we would want to do is to assemble all the things we have failed to do these past few years with budgeting.

For instance why is it that up to the very last moment it is difficult to find out who will be supported travel wise to attend IGFs and other such events outside of the purely ICANN world? The question fundamentally is do we believe that participation by ALAC in outside of ICANN events of a certain magnitude is important? Is the answer is yes we have to prepare for that. It won't come from the staff. It won't come from the financial department of ICANN. It can only come from us.

My short message is planning yes but fix the objectives first in a brave way and then the figures you will be able to align them. My last point is a very specific request to Tijani as the representative in the financial sector and to you as chair Olivier, to take note of this and start working on this right now, not in one year's time but right now because the windfall may be announced earlier than you think.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Jean Jacques. And I'm told by Heidi that the issue of the last minute travel to the IGF has been now resolved or addressed with the fast track requests so that the requests can be coming earlier. One of the problems was that the budget was only approved in July. And then the two summer months were generally a little bit wooly, less people working, etc.

And the IGF was immediately afterwards so you ended up with a last minute green light to purchase tickets, etc., thus not making good use of the resources that were at hand especially with travel issues.

JEAN JACQUES SUBRENAT:

True but I just like to not limit ourselves to the IGF participation. I was just giving one example in a category. So we'd have to make a catalog of that category.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

There is a policy versus implantation thing here. I think the policy was designed the implementation was not particularly great on that occasion. We are running out of time, you have 30 seconds Sala.

SALANIETA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: I support Jean Jacques statement. We really need to be to have a long term strategy. And also factor in potential things we would like to do and link it to

the deliverables as well as the budget allocation and not to be restricted by the present, by whether we have funds or not and to things like network operator groups or those things which ICANN officials readily attend and we can also have parallel capacity building tracks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Sala. And that closes the discussion on the budget. We can continue this afterwards offline in the mailing lists and we can continue of course with the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. There are members in the Finance and Budget Subcommittee that are in charge for each region and should liaise with each one of the reasons.

Check the page, if you don't know who your representatives are and then hound them. We have Sebastien Bachollet to speak to us about the ICANN Meeting Strategy Working Group, Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Just to tell you we have a proposal for a meeting organization for the next few years, it's in the comment period. And the answer from two regions, mainly Africa but also Latin America was quite in disagreement and we decided to take that aside. We take the decision to organize the meeting almost in the same way it was organized before 2014.

We have done it to change to the European meeting with the Asia Pacific meeting. But next year this meeting will stay at the same place. Then we decided to create a meeting strategy working group to answer the question of how we want to organize the ICANN meeting in the future with all the questions about the number of meetings per year, what is the purpose of a meeting, where it will be done and so.

Everything is open at discussion and you have - there are five members of At-Large who are participating in this meeting, working group. You are welcome

to give them inputs because it's important for you to not just leave them to do the work but to be your [Inaudible 01:39:14] to the working group to give ideas. The goal is to have something ready, we are a little bit late and it will not be for Buenos Aires.

My goal is to have something ready for the end of the year with a decision taken by the Board at the end of the year. That will allow some discussion, one face-to-face discussion in [Inaudible 01:39:42] and another one prior to the final document in Buenos Aires. You know the five persons from each of your regions, member of this group? Maybe you can - stand up so you will recognize for each region.

As you can see it's not always easy. We tried to balance regionally. We tried to have gender balance, 7 women, 9 men. But some of the SOs and ACs just give us no choice, some newcomers and old timers within ICANN. The goal was to have as much as possible real discussion and I hope that it will be done. The first meeting will be on Thursday morning.

It's an open meeting but the meeting room is smaller than this one, there are 21 members of the working group and two Board members and three staff. If you want to come you can but I don't know where you will stand. Your input will be welcome.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Is this a subliminal message that you're trying to send that ICANN is growing and we're running out of space? Any questions? You've seen your representatives. If you have any issues I urge you to take it to your representatives so they bring it to the table in that small room. And this concludes our afternoon's work for the ALAC Policy Session II.

[End of Transcript]