Domain Name Users Workshop: New Top Level Domains
Open discussion of how individual Internet users are affected by the introduction of
new top level domains
Sponsored by the ICANN At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)
Sunday, 10 July 2005
14:30 – 17:00
LuxExpo, Luxembourg City
14:30 Welcome and Introductions – Vittorio Bertola, Chair, ALAC
- New Sponsored Top Level Domains (sTLDs) – What are they? How are they chosen? When will they launch? What do they mean for individual Internet users? Can we expect more? ICANN's Board has designated .JOBS and .TRAVEL as new sponsored top level domains (sTLDs), and five more applications are pending: .MOBI, .XXX, .CAT, .POST, .ASIA, .MAIL, .TEL-Pulver, and .TEL-Telnic. How will they benefit the world's individual Internet users? What are their deployment plans, including initially-reserved names and registration of personal names? How will they apply internationalized domain names (IDNs)? What is their perspective on ICANN's current sTLD process and what are their suggestions for ICANN's future process for the introduction of new TLDs?
- Introductions and Overview of the sTLD Process – Bret Fausett, ALAC GNSO Liaison (Moderator)
- New sTLD: .JOBS – Ray Fassett, Executive VP, Operations & Policy, Employ Media LLC.
- Pending sTLD: . XXX – Stuart Lawley, Chairman, ICM Registry
- New Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs) – How are they different from sTLDs? What process for introducing new gTLDs (or more sTLDs) would most benefit the world's registrants !K.and the world's individual Internet users? How should ICANN promote such objectives as: registrant choice; value to individual Internet users; an open and competitive domain name market; TLD applications in major non-English languages; and a wider geographical distribution of TLD registries (to name a few)? ICANN's Board designated seven new gTLDs in 2000: .AERO, .BIZ, .COOP, .INFO, .MUSEUM, .NAME, and .PRO. Since then, ICANN has been considering technical, economic, operational, legal, public policy and other issues involved in new TLDs, and has proposed a "New gTLD Implementation Strategy."
- Introductions and Overview of the gTLD Process – Bret Fausett, ALAC Liaison (Moderator)
- ICANN's Strategy and Timeline for New gTLDs – Olof Nordling, Manager, ICANN
- At-Large Advisory Cmt. Recommendations – Wendy Seltzer, ALAC member (via phone)
- Recommendations of Business/Intellectual Property/Internet Service Providers – Philip Sheppard, member, Business Constituency and GNSO Council (invited)
- A Registrar's Perspective – Ross Rader, Director, Research and Innovation, Tucows
- Next Steps for At-Large Community – Bret Fausett, ALAC Liaison