

---

PRAGUE – APRALO Monthly Meeting  
Tuesday, June 26, 2012 – 07:00 to 08:00  
ICANN - Prague, Czech Republic

Gisella Gruber: Welcome everyone [to the APRALO monthly meeting] on Tuesday the 26<sup>th</sup> of June. In the room we have Hong Xue, Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro I'm learning, Fouad Bajwa, Holly Raiche, Siranush Vardanyan sorry I didn't see your name written, Cheryl Langdon-Orr and we also have a guest.

YJ Park: A member of the APRALO. I'm representing the [OCEA], one of the Korea organization members. YJ Park.

Gisella Gruber: Lovely welcome. And from staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself Gisella Gruber. And we have someone who has joined us on the telephone bridge.

Pavan Budhrani: Yes this is Pavan here from Hong Kong.

Gisella Gruber: Welcome Pavan, we're just doing the roll call. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes, thank you. Over to you, Holly.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

Holly Raiche: Thank you and good morning, good afternoon, good evening for everybody. We'll be going through the agenda, just in case people don't have the screen in front of them we're starting off with roll call which thank you Gisella has been done. We're going to go next to the sorry – not my computer – the Action Items. Pavan have you followed up with Heidi on the dashboard?

Pavan Budhrani: I have actually sent Heidi an email. Heidi have you received that email? I just wanted to look at the next steps forward for the dashboard.

Heidi Ullrich: Pavan, this is Heidi. When did you send that email?

Pavan Budhrani: I think it was right after the last call; around the first week after the 22<sup>nd</sup> of May.

Heidi Ullrich: I will have to go back and look in my inbox.

Pavan Budhrani: No worries I suppose. Maybe I'll just forward to you again later and then we can just follow up on that.

---

Heidi Ullrich: Yes please. And I believe that there are some efforts, Sala perhaps you would like to discuss. You brought up the issue of the dashboard and I'm not sure if that's going to be discussed in the Secretariats meeting.

Holly Raiche: Sala did you want to just add something?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: You mean in relation to the dashboard? Sala Tamanikawaiwaimaro for the transcript. Yes work's been ongoing. It's going to be a tool that's going to be multidimensional. It will be particularly for the RALOs specifically, but we aim to complete it here in Prague. However, I'd also like to mention for Charles and Holly's attention and the Executives attention, that we intend to give the RALOs sort of like a survey which we would like you to facilitate with your ALS members.

Holly Raiche: Could we actually discuss that survey in other business, thanks. Next Action Item, Charles will check with Edmon on his IGF Azerbaijan proposal. Now, rather than talk about that there will be a meeting in Prague today at 12:30 to 2:00 in the Dublin Room, no that's not Ireland, to talk about IGF. So Fouad you'll be there, I will be there.

Pavan Budhrani: Yes I'll get in touch with Charles. Charles actually sent his apologies for this call. He's busy with some domestic affairs.

---

Holly Raiche: Okay and Cheryl has her hand up.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you Holly. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. I don't believe that's in my diary so I will have to check. I do however want to speak to the fact that I've already found out that I'm actually listed as speaker in other peoples' workshops, so if while you're planning you are aware of commitments into other regions, means that I have to be there, so I'm available so use me as a tool. And obviously if there is any allocation of support from APRALO people to visit, remember my name on the list. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you Cheryl and welcome Edmon whose just arrived; another addition to the roll call, thanks. The next Action Item also about the IGF, Charles to get in touch with people going to IGF Japan. Now I'm actually going to Japan and that will be discussed I think today as well, because probably that may fit into what's happening in Azerbaijan. Fouad?

Fouad Bajwa: Thank you Holly. Fouad Bajwa for the record. I'm going to be actually in the same session with you in Japan, so just in update, in case I get a Visa I'll be there.

Holly Raiche: Good luck. Cheryl?

---

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you, Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. As some of you may know, Hong and I serve on the planning committee for the AP RIGF in Japan. It would be very useful if we could know exactly who is going or who is probably going because I know there will be some fallouts and we might need pop people into roles and panels. So if we just have that resource that will be very, very useful. I would also suggest that certainly from the area that I'm managing which is part of the critical internet resources, specifically the panel on IPv4 and IPv6 issues, we will definitely be having remote participation.

So if we do get to the situation where someone can't get there and you're involved in other tasks that I'm not directly and Hong isn't directly involved with, remember that we should be able to bring our people in at least remotely so we can get that presence there. Thank you Holly.

Holly Raiche: Hong, are you coming to the meeting today about IGF? If so then we can actually talk through both Tokyo and Azerbaijan.

Hong Xue: Oh okay, very nice. I had suggested we have a workshop at the regional IGF. And I asked on the list if these leaders could propose a topic or a list of topics. I can draft a proposal immediately, but no feedback so far. And I consulted with Cheryl and she kindly advised as that as low interest from APRALO on this and they're primarily interested in Azerbaijan. So I thought well okay since we're busy, so there's no

---

workshop unfortunately but I'm going there if I can get a Visa, hopefully like you. So that's the situation, the status quo so far.

Holly Raiche: Thank you, and Sala?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the transcripts. I apologize Hong; I think I missed that in the mailing list. If I had I would have really responded. One of the things I would like to encourage the leaders in APRALO to push forward is particularly in Asia, and when I speak about Asia I'm talking about the APRALO region, is the abuse of Article 19 in the ICCPR, Freedom of Expression. Because under International Law there are three exceptions in terms of public morality, objectionable content in terms of what's legislated or national security. And we're seeing a heavy track record quite aside from Azerbaijan; Pakistan, all across our region, even in Fiji we're seeing a heavy track record of the objection of the exception being abused.

And even though there was a Geneva meeting addressing his issue at the Human Rights Counsel meeting, nobody actually went into that in great detail. So Hong, this is a suggestion for the executives and also for you.

Holly Raiche: Hong? Actually what I'm going to suggest, rather than continuing this is we use the time at lunch to go through the various IGF proposals to see

---

what, to talk through Tokyo, Azerbaijan and see who's doing what and then to tie in...yes, sorry.

Siranush Vardanyan:

Siranush Vardanyan for the record. Just for the information that I might not be able to join you during the lunch for IGF discussion, I've got a suggestion to present by Edmon I think to be a panelist in Azerbaijan IGF for ICANN Fellowship information. But to some extent you all know that's probably not secure as me for me as an Armenian to travel to Azerbaijan. So I raised that issue and I expressed my willingness to be, and readiness to be a remote panelist there. But just for you to know that I will not be there in person just for that reason of security. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Why don't we talk offline as to how we might involve you? Edmon did you have anything to add?

YJ Park:

YJ Park. First of all, I feel sorry the Korea organization which I'm representing has not been really actively engaged with these kinds of activities. So that's why it's a little bit sort of foreign to follow all of the details of the upcoming Tokyo meetings. But one of the messages I'm going to share with us is, probably Edmon would know and the Korean institutions including [Kisa] is very much interested in hosting this meeting next year. But unfortunately because of this lack of involvement with ALAC so far we haven't really followed up what is going on with the Tokyo meeting.

So I think the best way we can suggest is if there is some slide or some kind of things, we wanted to participate in the Tokyo meeting and see how the meeting is being managed and organized which will be reflected in next year's meeting as well. So one of the topics I suggested earlier is a sort of why don't we, people in Asia who has lots of kinds of issues with government relationships, talk about the [in est] corporation. What is the kind of concept of [in est] corporation in Asia region? What's the kind of our responses and what would be the best practices of implementing the [in est] corporations. That was one of the proposals I put on the table.

But since I'm not really in this communications on Tokyo, I was not quite so sure what's the status and what's the kind of outcome, whether that can be in the Tokyo meeting or not.

Holly Raiche:

Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. Thank you, that's really important to know. What I think we can say, looking to Edmon and obviously to Hong is that he planning committee for the Tokyo Regional IGF is having its next meeting on the 5<sup>th</sup> I believe. We do know that we have more space resources to us, but we will be looking at the final programming, which is why I'm going a little gobsmacked when I hear about people presenting workshops I don't know about. But you'll discover we're very flexible. We will make this happen. It will happen.



---

But what I could suggest is if you wouldn't mind perhaps penning and perhaps giving to Edmon and Hong, just that proposal. Because we have ad hoc opportunities as well, so if we know the 5<sup>th</sup> is when we can discuss it. I apologize Holly that is out of order business in as much as it's not APRALO agenda for today. But it is important that APRALO is strongly represented in the Regional IGFs. And you're absolutely right with the potential for you hosting the next one, we have to do this as an interface for the next stage, so thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Welcome Rinalia. Cheryl, because the Action Items really relate to various IGFs it's absolutely in order and I think we can use the time at the lunch to sort of sort through IGF Tokyo, IGF Azerbaijan and talk about the workshop. Now will you...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Sorry Holly, Cheryl for the record. Can I plead with you to talk only very informally about Tokyo because you need to get your house in order specifically for Baku, that relates to ICANN based funding and that one has to just be got right. And the Tokyo one, to be honest, we're practically printing the dance cards and we'll just have to sort something out separately. So if you focus on Baku in your lunch and then make sure someone gets back to us on the other that would be good.

Holly Raiche:

I've got Sala and Fouad and then I think we might actually have to move on from the Action Items.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Yes very quickly, Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the record. Just to notify APRALO Executives that I won't be in Tokyo Japan. I'll be in Cooke Islands for government consultations going on to draft a sub-security legislation, so I'll be heavily involved in that and will return to Fiji for the AP team meeting and the Pacific broadband meeting, so I'll be there.

Fouad Bajwa: Thank you Holly; Fouad Bajwa for the transcript record. I would like to support what Cheryl said because the participation we are doing in AP RIGF has been arranged through other sources and whatever the topics and everything is. So the IGF, which is probably in November is a more critical issue because of the state of where it's happening, number one thing. And I was in the MAG of the IGF till February and they my term completed for three years. So apart from that I was in the first, really first part of planning that.

And in the previous years I've been actually managing something called the Internet Governance for Development main session. That's what I introduce and have been managing for the past few years, so we can actually look at that. That's where we can actually utilize, as Cheryl said, the ICANN funding. For the AP RIGF I think more planning will go into next year's AP RIGF, which would be I think more planned and more grouped up in there.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: If I may Holly; Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. Of course that's what's so important for having YJ Park here today with the

---

intention of Korea to be hosting that, you see they're being very proactive. They're wanting to be very much forward. And I would suggest if I may, if we look carefully at where we set the time for next year's Regional IGF and think about when the ICANN Board does its business for funding additional requests in the budget. It won't be happening before this time next year and so we need to, we've got too short a time between hopefully a budget approval and in less than 14 days having a Regional IGF in Asia.

So we might want to make sure that those two things are further apart next time so we could look to more distributed funding and perhaps a larger presence. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

The only two, I'm going to finish this sentence and then Hong. The only two remaining Action Items are on us in terms of dealing with the workload and actually kind of helping Charles out given that he's been very tied up, so I think we will have to deal with that offline if that's okay. And because Hong very sweetly doesn't have her hand up but wants to talk.

Hong Xue:

I'm very sorry to intervene. I cannot join you at lunch discussion unfortunately, but the regional idea is finalizing its program. If they're still interested without the fund support to have a workshop or a gathering or any informal things or formal things, you need to let the program committee know quite soon. And the tentatively finalized

---

program will be posted on the website I guess next week, so that's the timing. I've nothing else to talk about, back to you.

Holly Raiche: One final comment but first, just today's meeting is really about clarification of budgets and so forth, but we can use that opportunity to arrange another meeting that sorts out first of all Baku and possibly Tokyo as well, but we can do that offline as well.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sorry Holly, Baku, Baku, Baku is what you need to do today.

Holly Raiche: Sure, but what I'm saying is we can use that opportunity to arrange a breakfast or something to deal with, we're talking about your proposals and how we can move that forward to. So let's just say the IGF is very much on the agenda, that we have a meeting today which is very focused, but there can be other meetings and we can use this opportunity to arrange other meetings. Now, can we close this Action Item please? How much am I offered?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Sala Tamanikawaiwaimaro for the transcripts. Just for the record there was an APNIC meeting in Busan, South Korea, which was jointly hosted by APNIC and [Kisa], and it was excellently and very, very professionally facilitated. And in fact the Action Item that I would like to suggest is this Holly, if a few volunteers from APRALO could sit together and sort of draft tentatively what would be needed, I mean in relation to Miss Parks

---

request, and that sort of thing or just generic for whoever else wants to sort of bid and that sort of thing or would like to express their interest. Just a thought in relation to the 2013 budget that was being mentioned yesterday in the applications.

Holly Raiche: Nobody's allowed anymore, that's it.

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche: How much am I offered and the price is rising. We have, it is 20 past and we haven't finished the Action Items, so you've got...

YJ Park: Yeah it's related with the budget clarification so that's why...as we said Korea is very much interested in hosting next year's meeting. So we were fortunate enough to secure the funding for next year, but unfortunately since we didn't really have any plan to be involved with this year's Regional IGF we didn't really have any funding to participate in that upcoming Tokyo meeting. So that was the reason I was asking whether there could be some kind of funding support for some of us to attend that meeting.

But as Sala said, Korea [.moon and Kisa] are very much interested in hosting next year's meeting which will hopefully be quite well organized

---

and we are willing to secure as many as audiences for next year, but unfortunately this year, not much funding available for us.

Holly Raiche:

That's it. Cut. If we have time at the end of this, before 8:00 we'll come back to IGF, we're not doing that anymore. Minutes – I gather you have all read the minutes and you're all very happy with them. Thank you Cheryl, these are stunning minutes, thank you very much. Everybody's very happy with them and we've dealt with the Action Items arising. Let's go back to what we're supposed to be doing for the rest of the day. Now, the next is ICANN policy issues, open public consultations. I'm taking the floor, thank you.

I would say there are probably two if not three main issues that are on the agenda. I'm absolutely open if people want to go to the policy page and see if there is anything else, but the one that's been occupying a lot of the discussion amongst the ALAC people in Prague has been the combination of the registrant's rights and the issue of compliance. There will be lots of minutes posted and so forth, but essentially there's going to be a meeting of the Registrant's Rights Group. It is tied up with the WHOIS Final Report because one of the main issues that came out of, actually it was the final, final report, it came out of the final, final report was WHOIS data accuracy.

And those two issues are merging now. There's a Registrant's Right Group meeting today I think, late. Some stuff will come out of that. But I attended the registrant's rights negotiation update yesterday, they, ICANN, are putting on the table two main issues that are the sticking points in the negotiation in terms of how do you actually contact people

---

and what are the issues surrounding access to data. They're both critical issues and I think we might actually do some work on that and circulate it because we need feedback.

The negotiating team has come pretty much to a screeching halt on those two issues, and the plea from what's his name, Fritz yesterday, the whole team was "these two issues we need to hear from the community." And so we as ALAC need to come up with a view on what we think about those two issues, and we'll probably discuss that today and then get something out to everybody.

The other issue has to do certainly in our region the main issue is IDNs. It is tied up with this magic word called batching, which most of us now kind of choke over. But where IDNs are sitting, and I just think Hong if you want to say a few words about where we're up to with IDNs which has become a particularly important issue for this group.

Hong Xue:

Well thank you Holly. I guess, and Edmon could have more detailed information on this issue, but I do have a serious concern about IDNs being back seated in the new batching policy; that's one batching for all of the applications. I don't want to listen to myself please. I hate it. Well now that the one batching is still in discussion, and we're not clear, it is one beginning multiple endings or is it one beginning and one ending, so everybody will have to wait until 18 months for the overall publication of the result of evaluation.

Or there will be a kind of ease in this assessment by ranking, and IDNs because of its complexity, its difficulty and certainly especially variant

issue is more complicated, it will take much longer time to reveal. What that means, there the will be de-prioritized because it's not so easy. This is a serious concern. And we heard the young man from China last night, he's now even desperate, would like to go back to the digital archeries hated by everyone. At least in that case there would be 100 for each regions, that's also fair for Asia-Pacific. Okay, back to you.

Holly Raiche:

Edmon do you have anything to add?

Edmon Chung:

Certainly, this is Edmon Chung. It's totally fair, the concern that Hong has. I understand that in the At-Large community we have general I guess direction that we should prioritize IDNs. However, there is often a caution of certain issues such as IDN Variants and that worries me a little bit. The problem is that the, for lack of a better way to describe it, the incapability of ICANN to put its act together for the IDN Variants should not have delayed, should not have created this particular issue of saying "oh because there's more problems to be solved we might have to de-prioritize this particular thing."

The other part is that I think that there is a time difference between the evaluation process and the delegation process and by the time we complete the evaluation process, hopefully, the IDN Variant issues would have been progressed much further. So just because currently the IDN Variant issue hasn't been resolved doesn't mean the evaluation for those applications should not be prioritized.



---

Holly Raiche: Edmon and Hong we are meeting with the Board and since Olivier is sitting there being very quiet leaning over doing absolutely bloody nothing, but suddenly he's looking fantastic and he's taking notes on what he's going to say to the Board about IDNs and our concern. You were taking notes I could see that.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Since I was dancing let me just go on the record, Olivier Crépin-Leblond for the record. No, we are not having the subject of IDNs in our agenda. And I think that the Board in what they have sent to us has not touched on IDNs either. What we can do is speak to individual Board members and we also have a lunch with the Board on Wednesday. So we might, those of you who wish to discuss this with the Board, might wish to speak to specific Board members that no about the subject, the other problem being that not all the Board knows about IDNs. So target the people. Maybe found out who of the Board has been following this and speak to them. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Hong and Edmon can I suggest an Action Item on you both that you talk to Olivier on how we progress this? And Cheryl has her hand up.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you Holly; Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. I think we also need to take the opportunity to talk to any of the GAC members and GAC representatives that we might find lurking about the corridors and that we know. I can assure you, Edmon and Hong, that I have had this conversation with our Australian representatives, and we actually

---

have a delegation of two here. So the man who is usually at the GAC table has brought his boss and his boss and I know each other very well.

So there is interest in this issue, but I can't tell you how important it is for a whole number of voices and not just our voices to be raising this. But I'm not sure it's going to get on formal agendas Holly, but there's a lot of corridor work to be done. So work Board members if you know them. Work community leaders if you know them. To be honest your hardest arguments are with those who have not seen the necessity and converting those people over is just darned hard work.

If you are going to talk to Board members over lunch, and I think that's a great way, for heaven's sake make sure you've spoken to Hong, to Rinalia, I'd even suggest speaking to me but you'd have to catch me first, and obviously Edmon, and make sure you know what variants means, what the issues are. Because if all else fails just say "it is really important that there is no first move or advantage that disadvantages the internationalized domain names that are required by the next three billion internet users." So try and popularize it rather than get them into variants tables; they'll glaze over really fast. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Fouad?

Fouad Bajwa:

Thank you Holly; Fouad Bajwa for the transcript record. Supporting what Cheryl said and picking up on that, I don't want to overburden the whole group that's working on the IDN and the IDN Variants issue, but a small paragraph if we can get it on the list would be really helpful, sort

---

of a sharing between us that's sort of an update which needs to be communicated for these people. Because I know from Pakistan, we have .pakistan on there right, and in Urdu as well, but somehow there's sort of a small gap going on, a communication gap right. I was invited into that particular meeting in Pakistan where the government and stakeholders were discussing .pakistan but I was stuck.

I had to run my kitchen and I was stuck in Europe for that purpose, so I couldn't really attend that meeting, but that was in February. So it's been like particularly three months to that now. So a small paragraph would be more than enough. I'll also check with my delegates from Pakistan, there's a pretty big contingency running around. So I'll check with Dr. Sarmad as well to what the situation on that is. But a small paragraph just for the like the particular corridor diplomacy.

Holly Raiche: Thank you Fouad, Edmon.

Edmon Chung: Thank you Holly, Edmon here. I think that's probably a good idea. One of the things I sent around in the ALAC IDN Working Group is to, we're meeting here tomorrow and I guess everyone is welcome to join. Is it tomorrow or today? Tomorrow?

Holly Raiche: Today is Tuesday.

---

Edmon Chung: Okay Wednesday.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That's a philosophical question.

Fouad Bajwa: Today you can't even breathe, look at the schedule.

Edmon Chung: One of the items that we want to discuss is whether to prepare a statement on this particular issue and it would, when we do, it would include enough version of saying why it shouldn't affect the prioritization. But on top of that I guess you wanted to, you're asking for a summary on the situation of...sure, I'll work on it and I'll circulate it and see what people think.

Holly Raiche: I think there are two points to the Action Item. One is just, I think what Cheryl was saying makes a lot of sense which is just follow up anybody you can and say this is an important issue. But I also think there's a lot of additional information that should be targeted as to why this should not be another excuse to put something back. And I think there are really two parts to what has to happen. One is a lobbying one, but one is also technical information as to why this should not be an excuse.

And that second part would be very targeted to the very people who are saying this is a reason to delay this. So I think Hong and Edmon, if you could kind of work together on that, and I think we can all work

---

together on the lobbying point saying “please don’t let this excuse mean that IDNs are just put off,” okay. Anything further on IDNs? Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Thank you Holly, it’s a very brief and just really a point of update for future reference. Please remember that the ccTLD IDN PDP Process is going on and I am involved in that and we do need to make sure that when comments come out from this process that we’re ready to respond as APRALO. So just make sure everyone keeps on their, I’m going to need you to be affirming and positive and at least say what you think is good about what the PDP process is. It is challenging, don’t get me wrong. I mean we’ve done the Fast track, but getting the rest of the PDP is challenging and so the more support we get, not only from the regions but I would like to encourage the individual ALSes when those things come out for comment; that would be very good.

To that end Holly it might be appropriate for us to have a undated but future to do Action Item of a teleconference webinar where individuals and ALS members could come in and get a little bit of an update and briefing. And we could get Bart from ccNSO to run us through what the specifics are of the policy proposals and bring people up to speed. So that might be something you want to consider. It will be no earlier than Toronto; it may in fact end up being shortly after Toronto. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you Cheryl. We’re still on ICANN policy issues, open public consultations. Now, I’ve gone through what have been the main ones for this meeting, which have been the WHOIS and the Registrant’s

Rights; those two are colliding. The other one that I've had a look at was the inter-registrar transfer, there's Part C. I've had a talk to Alan Greenberg who's already had a look, he has penned something. I have not had an opportunity to actually see what he's written, but if people could have a look and see if there's anything that they would like to add, that would be the other policy item that I've spotted on the policy list.

By the way Cheryl, where are we up to on the budget and at what point do we actually start to input if at all, or is that just gone?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Which budget? Seriously Holly. The 2013 budget?

Holly Raiche:

Fiscal 13.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Fine, the 2013 budget has been approved by the ICANN Board as she is writ with some modifications which has not been announced at this meeting; it's a done deal. 13 is gone. 14 however is starting right now and we need to get ahead of the game and I am very much convinced from what I'm hearing in the corridors, and I spend a little time in the corridors moving between rooms, and I'm going to have to move to a room right now Holly so do take my apologies as I finish this and leave. But the 14, they are looking very much at having a less compressed, a slightly changed model yet again. And to that end we might need to be prepared to have our proposals even earlier in the system. So let's get

---

organized now. And that would include for of course Regional IGF in Korea and that sort of support.

Holly Raiche:

That brings me to the next item which is priorities for the coming months. What we would want to hear from you is where we, let's have a timeline as to bringing together our proposals for a budget, and we need a timeline for that. So one of the priorities is going to have to be budget.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Holly if I may, Cheryl for the transcript record, I would suggest that between now and Toronto let's say that three to four weeks before Toronto APRALO should be in a position to have at least some send drawings done on what they would like to do. I would be, looking into my crystal ball, expecting the ALAC Finance & Budget Subcommittee convening if not in Toronto shortly after it. I would then expect socialization of plan coming out in what would be the end of the Gregorian calendar year, inconveniently positioned over all of the moon festivals and important parts where most of us in Asia are doing other things; Vietnamese are doing things, we're doing things, all of that inconveniently positioned for us.

So we need to be ahead of the game. Then and I would then see probably the March quarter and the March meeting the Board and the Finance and Budget Committees probably trying to be where they were this year, I guess two or three months ahead of themselves. And I really do have to go now, thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you Cheryl. I think that's one of the priorities for the coming months. I think the Action Item for APRALO thank you; look at the priorities for the budget. Could I basically now leave the floor a bit open to say what else should be on our priority list for the next months? We already have, and I'm going to just start at Hong and see, just go right down, people are going to, Hong's being very intent and listening. I'm asking everybody to put their thinking caps on and say what is the priority for the next month, two, three and Sala, you're going to have to follow two people, starting with Hong. I'm just going around the table.

Hong Xue: Well I heard that after so many years that ICANN is going to fund APRALO a mini General Assembly; that's really terrific. It will be next Fiscal Year and the budget has been approved by the Board, so we should really applaud that.

Holly Raiche: I think what we have to do though is there's probably an Action Item on us saying now that we've got something funded what is it we're going to do. So the priority has to be...

[background conversation]

Holly Raiche: Take that all back.



---

YJ Park: Well just responding to Hong's proposal about the APRALO General Assembly, I'm wondering whether it is going, is it possible to host it in the upcoming Tokyo meeting.

[background conversation]

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sorry, just to refresh everyone's memory, when we were working on that particular budget we had been overoptimistic and asked for many things, and fortunately we got a...

Holly Raiche: Sorry, some things should not be minuted.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: please do not minute that. I withdraw those comments. The point that I was trying to raise is exactly related to the comment I made earlier, 20 minutes ago. We need to put an Action Item where we set aside volunteers at this meeting, not over a conference call, to articulate in detail budget requirements. And here we have [Kisa] volunteering to host for example. And it's one thing that they've actually stepped up but we've got to step up our game and actually detail and articulate how much, what are the expectations for the host, what we could simultaneously hold, and we're never going to get the time until Toronto to actually sit around and discuss it.

---

So this is what I propose Holly, if we have excellent resource; Rinalia sits on the Finance right, the budget thing for the ALAC thing. So she's very familiar with the new budget mechanisms, so offline we can consult her. What I propose is if we could have a list of two or three volunteers that sometime whilst we're here to sit for one hour and create the budget template. Because when Charles and I were putting it together last time we struggled and you know, that sort of thing. But if we could detail it. And also at least if the draft, and I'd like to echo what Cheryl was saying, don't do it after Prague because communication is going to be hard.

But we need to think about what we simultaneously need to have together and sort of put it to the list and attack it just so that we can have good feedback.

Heidi Ullrich:

Hi Sala, this is Heidi for the record. I think that's an excellent suggestion, but again, just to clarify, today's session at 12:30 to 2:00 with the relevant ICANN staff is simply to clarify exactly what was intended by the Fiscal Year 13 budget. So I think today it might be useful if you would remain in listening mode to get clarity and then immediately afterwards carry out your proposal where you can already start planning. Once you know exactly what is being planned then make the details.

Holly Raiche:

Fouad.

Fouad Bajwa:

Thank you Holly. No minutes on this question because this is a repetitive question, and just out of sync on this. We had an allocation for AP RIGF and then it got approved but we're not prepared for that, right? So I mean...no I'm just asking what is it we're posting into the next budget, which is already approved. Okay, okay.

Siranush Vardanyan:

Siranush Vardanyan for the record. I feel somehow a little bit isolated, saying me I mean Armenia. And in APRALO region we are really to some extent a little bit isolated and even the fact that within APRALO having IGF in Azerbaijan that almost no one is aware about, Armenians have no possibility to go there. And speaking about enhanced cooperation, I think that this is nonsense, becoming nonsense. So within APRALO region we should be a little bit more aware to some extent to know the challenges and one of the challenges, at least for this meeting, we also face ISOC Armenia just joined last time as an ALS for APRALO, supported one of his staff to come here, meaning financially supported her, but she didn't get a Visa.

And yes we received that information very late almost on 18<sup>th</sup> of June, so just one week prior to this meeting. But the issue that they even didn't know who to apply with the support and there was no Visa and that's it, and ALS couldn't come here and participate in all these discussions. And having the monthly calls also a very appropriate time for us is also another challenge, so maybe we can start using a little bit more of this email communication or something. These online tools in order to make information available for us, because yes, we are really feeling very isolated. We are not completely aware about IGF in Japan.

---

So I mean that type of issues, these are very relevant to our community. So if there will be a little bit enhanced cooperation, understanding by using more frequently those online tools available, which would support this huge staff here which is doing a great job, it would be much more appreciated from our side and we could feel us a little bit much more involved in the process. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you. We promise to listen. Rinalia? No issues? You're going to be our backstop on budget stuff, you know this. You're so glad that you showed aren't you?

Rinalia Abdul Rahim: I will get Tijani to tell me all the important things because he's the one who always goes to all the key budget and finance meetings, and I'll find out about what's needed on 2014 for APRALO.

Holly Raiche: Thank you. Keith? We're really thinking about what are our issues for the coming months; we have got an issue with how we better involve Armenia.

Keith Davidson: Nothing in addition to what's been spoken about.

Holly Raiche: Sala?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: You know, first of all I'd like to thank Rinalia who's on our ExCom for fighting so hard to get capacity building on the agenda. And now that it's on the agenda, there's going to be work to be done. But primarily what I'd like to start off by saying is, as a RALO we need to start looking at how we can immerse our people into the various policy processes and I'm talking about take for example the PacNOG that's happening in July, the Pacific Network Operators Group where global partnerships is heavily involved.

We just heard from Heidi that ICANN finance is going to be sitting with us to tell us that the budget that APRALO fought for is going to be administered jointly with the global partnerships, so what's that going to mean. Just from hearing that we can infer that they're going to direct our funds into certain capacity building modes. So what am I saying? What I'm saying is we need to figure out a way, I don't have answers, but to strategize on how to get people involved in the APNIC policy processes from the APRALO region. And the plus is this, at the ASO Council meeting, and for those of you who may not know what the ASO is, anyway, it includes all the NROs, and for us...

Holly Raiche: All the RIRs.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Or all the RIRs, my apologies. And the relevant one being APNIC. They had at that council meeting publically declared their support for policy immersion and that they would finance it. So we need to start looking

---

at how to sustainably develop this. So even with things like IDN, yes we have Edmon, yes we have Hong, but we also need to sustainably look at how we're going to build a technical capacity to immerse themselves in those sorts of things, quite aside from the IGF. I'm talking about the ICANN policy processes and other technical policy processes that are relevant.

Holly Raiche: Thank you. Okay. It's been lovely. Fouad?

Fouad Bajwa: Thank you Holly, Fouad Bajwa for the transcript record. Picking up on what Siranush was saying earlier and adding what Sala has said, I think we can have a delegated page on our community workspace where we keep on entering sort non-ICANN events, but that you feel that really somehow affect the policy directions that we have in ICANN, number one thing. Number two...

Siranush Vardanyan: You mean Wiki page?

Fouad Bajwa: Yeah, a dedicated page so you know where you have to go. It can be called "other events" right, or "related events," we can even call it "the internet public policy events" or something because there is just too much happening. If I tried to attend all of those things I'd go crazy. So you really need a lot of people in there right now. And the second thing

---

is I wanted, can we have a dedicated sort of budget page which keeps sort of updated.

Holly Raiche:

The first idea I think is marvelous. I think we've talked about it before, which is if we've got events that we think others should know about in the APRALO space then it should be something that we tell each other about. I'm going to ask Rinalia what would be on the budget page, because I think budgetary matters are something that decided.

Heidi Ullrich:

Basically, this is Heidi from staff, we definitely can do that. What we will do, staff, will prepare the Fiscal Year 14 budget workspace and on that we can make a child page for APRALO. But again, just to go back to the page for regional events, excellent idea. EURALO has had one for years, they use it. Basically they just announced they use it, they update it themselves, they put what the activity is, who's going and it's an excellent space. Also APRALO has a page, I don't know if you know, but you have a page for regional policy development activities. So you can use that when you're developing regional policy and then bring up to the ALAC.

Female:

Just a question, do we have a consolidated calendar with ALAC and At-Large with the various subs for the various regions so we don't have to go to all the different sites, but just go to one as a landing page and then go to the other one?

Gisella Gruber: Gisella Gruber for the record. All we have at present is that we get the meetings through from global partnerships and they get put on the At-Large calendar which is on the main ALAC page or on At-Large Google and all the meetings get put on there.

Holly Raiche: Go ahead.

Female: And also, one of the items within APRALO for the next year, just as a NomCom person, I would like to suggest that start to think about next year there will be a position open for Asia-Pacific ALAC representatives. So you need to start think about outreaching that issue. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Excellent thanks. We've got five more minutes, is there anything else that we should be talking about before I let people go? We are meeting with the board in half an hour so if you haven't had breakfast or need another cup of coffee, think about it before we talk to the Board. Congress 2? If there is no other business...Sala.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the transcripts records. I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but there is a critical policy being debated, discussed right now that's going to be voted on by the ALAC and I'm a bit sad that APRALO hasn't submitted anything on it. It's on the



---

language services policy. And yesterday I was at a discussion when someone suggested that they remove interpretation, so things like this you see. So that's why one of the things that we need to do, I know Cheryl is going to fight hard to keep it, but we need to formally as a RALO, this is a note to the Executives to put in submissions, at least two pages. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you I wasn't...thank you. Any other business? Are we happy? Fouad?

Female: I think the deadline is Thursday. The deadline is this Thursday, so if APRALO wants to submit something it has to be done before Thursday.

Holly Raiche: Thank you. Fouad?

Fouad Bajwa: Thank you Holly, Fouad Bajwa for the record. Number one the language interpretation issue, lots of people are concerned about that so I don't know how we're going to work this out but we need a quick sort of compilation of existing information that we have from, maybe from our records that the staff can help us put together and have that submitted. We should like, the need for interpretation is going to definitely just keep on increasing, right. It's not decreasing. It's not a decreasing effort it's an increasing effort; it's a resource effort.

---

Secondly, on the other issue of us sharing the workload from Charles, whatever Charles has been directing towards me I've been trying to catch it up and get it to sort of relevant to Sebastien then. I'm in the new gTLD activities, I'm part of the CUI shared activity review group, and on the other hand I'm available for the technical staff as well within these task forces for like the implementation teams. So I think most of the things I'm catching up.

One thing we really have to work hard on is there's sort of a (inaudible) coming up as well, so I will be off and on online, but we need to work up how we're going to develop towards the Toronto meeting, it's going to be really big. And then travel issues for Asia-Pacific members is going to be immense. It's going to be worse than the US, so we've got to do a lot of stuff on that.

Holly Raiche: Thank you. One last comment before I close the meeting.

Hong Xue: It's not a comment, it's kind of...oh.

Holly Raiche: Oh sorry. Two people and then we're going to say thank you very much because people may actually have to eat breakfast before we meet with the Board.

YJ Park: Yeah I would like to just remind my request before about the availability of the funding support for this upcoming Tokyo meeting. So I'm not so sure who is the right person I have to talk to? Rinalia? Cheryl? Okay thank you.

Keith Davidson: My question was really – oh firstly apologies for lateness in arrival. Keith Davidson for the record. I was just really asking who in this room is attending the Tokyo IGF? And are others not attending because they haven't got funding? Because strangely Google, well not strangely, but Google has offered to fund a lot of people and a lot of people I know have refused the Google funding on the basis that they'd be captured by Google by taking it, but there is...yeah that's okay as long as you don't have a conflict with it. But I would think that's USAs 7<sup>th</sup> largest business, it's fairly capturable. But anyway, so if there is a need for extra funding I may be able to broker something between Google.

Holly Raiche: Thank you Keith, we'll follow up with that okay. Could I just say if there's nothing else urgent I think we do end at 8:00, so I will thank people for attending and say we will meet – where are we meeting – Congress 2 with the Board in 30 minutes. So if you haven't had breakfast, do so now. And thank you very much for everybody attending.

[End of Transcript]