Competition; was Re: [Membership] ICANN: The Issue of Membership---

Excuse me. In every market I know where telecom has been privatized and
rendered competitive, prices have gone down.  And generally, service has
even improved!

THe countries I know well are the US, UK, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary,
Russia...... Which ones are *you* referring to?

Esther

At 08:46 PM 29/01/99 -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Kent Crispin a écrit:
>
>> The same verification problems exist with domain names.  Especially
>> after we actually get some competition in the DN market, and
>> they cost $10/year.
>
>There is no reason at all to suppose that this is what will happen.
>Probably, they will become more expensive. That is what the result of
>telecom de-monopolization has been in every country where I have witnessed
>it, and the same goes for the privatization of government-regulated monopoly
>railroads. Cartelization will probably occur, whether it is called that or
>not. And, since the SOs and the ICANN that are setting up the new registries
>are not representative of consumer interests, nor even of the interests of
>small service providers, there will be no recourse nor pressure to keep name
>registration inexpensive.

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"