Re: [Membership] The People's Republic of ICANN?

TO clarify:

There *is* more to the world, and even to the Internet, than the people
willing to spend several hours a day reading/writing the lists....and there
are publics besides the US public.

On the campaigning, I'm talking about getting people *involved,* not about
getting them to be members.

Esther

At 01:35 AM 07/02/99 -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Esther Dyson a écrit:
>>
>> Getting the public involved is, among other things, a job for our
>> much-vilified "public-outreach" firm.
>
>I hate to always take an adversarial position with you, Esther, but you
>don't really believe that this PR firm is going to have any effect or
>influence on the Internet community, do you? It may have some slight effect
>on the general populace of the US, but the Internet community is more likely
>to turn against ICANN if it finds PR-speak type communications lying around
>here and there.
>
>> It is also something that should
>> happen semi-automatically when people campaign to be elected as AL directors.
>
>Beg pardon? How's that? I really wonder what you see this campaigning to be.
>What little there will be, since we're all in far-flung places, wil be on
>the Internet. No one's going to go riding around town in a Cadillac kissing
>babies and winning over mom and dad, you know. How is the election of AL
>directors going to get users and others to join ICANN? I don't get it.

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"