RE: [Membership] MAC reports and models-New URLs

At 11:07 AM -0800 2/11/99, Antony Van Couvering wrote:

>Darrell Greenwood wrote,
>
>> You may also want to consider that the two approaches need not
>> exclude each other.
>>
>> i.e., have automatic membership with prepaid dues included in the
>> registration for all domain holders, one individual, one vote
>> regardless of the number of domains held, _and_ allow others to
>> enroll as members by paying dues directly as set by ICANN.
>>

>Then you had better consider that getting information about the registrant
>will require some arrangement with *all* registrars, since as currently
>conceived the registrars would keep all the customer information, and the
>registry would have only the domain name and DNS records.

Perhaps this is an indication that the 'currently conceived' approach
is not a good one.

I really do believe that 'who the registrant is' must be easily
available online public information ('whois') for many reasons...
legal, technical, practical, even without taking into consideration
the possible need for the information to be available for ICANN
enfranchisement reasons.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a way for registrants to prove to ICANN's
satisfaction that they are registrants if necessary.

Cheers,

Darrell

--
Darrell Greenwood           mailto:Darrell_Greenwood@mindlink.net