Re: [Membership] A Model for Community & Global - complete version

Tom and all,

  A few comments.  (See below toms)

toml@communisphere.com wrote:

> My original plan was to post this document after ICANN's March meeting
> and its initial decision on at-large membership. However, I
> inadvertently released notes for the paper earlier today that I'd
> carelessly left in my out box. So while this "late draft" version has
> several holes in it, I find it necessary to release it now and hereby
> request your thoughts on plugging them up.
>
> Tom Lowenhaupt
> -----------------------
>
>   A Model for Internet Governance at the Global and Community Levels
>
> This posting presents an Internet governance model for use at the
> neighborhood and global levels. It reveals how, in our effort to fulfill
> our local need for a geographically-aware Internet, we can create the
> basis for a secure and reliable voting mechanism for the global
> Internet.

  We already have several reliable voting mechanisms.

> While the model's implementation might be impractical for ICANN's
> initial election, its structure proffers an effective voting system for
> the second election of ICANN's Board of Governors.

  FIrst of all they are not a board of Governors.  Secondly, in accordance
we already know whom the Stakeholders are by definition in the
White Paper.

> BACKGROUND
>
> While the U.S. government, ICANN, its Membership Advisory Committee, the
> Berkman Center, and a multitude of individual supporters have struggled
> to create new mechanisms for the administration and governance of the
> global Internet, my neighbors and I have been focused on creating a
> communication system that will help meliorate the many problems of our
> geographic community.
>
> Our 125,000 residents live in three distinct neighborhoods that together
> comprise Community District 3 - the smallest planning and administrative
> division of New York City. The District has a planning and service
> delivery monitoring unit called a Community Board, of which I am
> currently vice-chair.

  GOod start.  However you community is not very geographically diverse.

> In an ongoing effort to improve our community, the Board, through its
> Communications Committee, has reviewed the capabilities and limitations
> of traditional communications media and the Internet for six years. Over
> that period the Internet "'arrived" and we're eagerly awaiting
> neighborhood benefits, particularly improved communication and decision
> support.
>
> In reviewing the Internet we detected several features that forebode a
> negative impact on neighborhood economic development and the governance
> of District 3 - particularly, the network's geographic ignorance and
> distance insensitivity. I'll focus here on a timely example of the
> problems caused by geographic ignorance, offer a solution, and review
> its implication for ICANN.
>
> LIFE AND DEATH
>
> New York City's TV and newspaper headlines are filled these days with
> talk of Amadou Diallo, an African youth shot to death by four NYC police
> officers in a barrage of 41 bullets. One New York Times headline read "A
> Brewing Storm".
>
> District 3 is quite diverse with many black and Hispanic residents. And
> the need to assure our neighbors that they are, indeed, our brothers
> seems appropriate, and maybe essential, these days. But the basic design
> of the Internet doesn't allow it to play a role here. AOL, AT&T, Bell
> Atlantic, Netcom and dozens of others provide Internet access to our
> residents. And those systems know nothing of our local needs. They do
> not connect the people in our neighborhoods. Here we have a life and
> death situation and today's Internet offers no solution.

  THe solution that you seem to seek can only be created for your community
must and should come form your community.  Why not provide a
"Community" based web site that provides for the sort of events and news
that is central to you own community?

> A NEIGHBORHOOD INTERNET MODEL
>
> What we need is a way for our geographic community to communicate in
> time of need. But equally important is a "neighborhood network" where
> people regularly meet to share ideas, make decisions, and organize for
> solutions.

  Exactly (See above comment).  Create your own "neighborhood network"
as many communities have already done.

> At minimum, the Internet needs to provide a means for our residents to
> communicate with one another in times of emergency.

  The means is already there.  What seems to be missing in your particular
case or situation, as with others, is the will to created it.

> In Radio and TV land
> there's an Emergency Broadcasting System (EBS). In the 1950's our
> neighbors decided EBS technology could warn against missiles, tornadoes,
> and other imminent dangers and instructed our government to install one.
> In the 1960's telephony provided us with the 911 system. And our cable
> TV franchise provides the municipality with the capacity to interject a
> message of civic importance. But the Internet will fall far short in
> this regard. It's a fundamental flaw.

  But that flaw is not the fault of ISP's it is a neglect of your own
community
to band together and form your own "neighborhood network" .

> But it's not only emergency applications that society asks of its new
> technology. With each wave we look for broader community benefit, e.g.,
> universal service, educational TV, public service announcements, and
> C-SPAN. The Internet's potential contribution lies in a "neighborhood
> network" where people meet to share ideas, make decisions, and organize
> for solutions. (These are more commonly called "community networks" but,
> because of the many virtual Internet communities, I use the more land
> based "neighborhood".)
>
> While most agree on the desirability of these networks there is some
> confusion as to their method of birth and sustenance. Some suggest that
> neighborhood networks be created through voluntary enrollment by users.
> But sans regulatory intervention, the reach of this voluntary system
> would be miniscule.

  Whether the reach of a small or even very large "neighborhood network"
is great of small is the dedication of that "neighborhood network's"
volunteers and those that through various means, sponsor that
very "neighborhood network" .  Many all over the US anyway are quite
successful.

> They'll have no marketing punch against AOL et al.

  Why not work WITH AOL, to assist in creating your "neighborhood network" .

As I am personally aware that they would be very interested in doing so.
Have you considered doing this?  If not contact me privately, possibly
I can help you get started.

> And most will see them as government or quasi-government; and we know
> people only seek government in time of dire need. We need a way to
> provide neighborhood networks with the desirability and inconvenience of
> a flu shot.
>
> There are several ways to develop Internet-based neighborhood networks.
> I'll outline one that provides harmonious benefits for ICANN and global
> governance of the Internet.
>
> NEIGHBORHOOD NEEDS AND NETWORK FUNCTIONS
>
> (The neighborhood network described here is appropriate for a community
> located in the "world's capital" in booming economic times. Other
> communities might decide on lesser or more capacious networks.)
>
> If our neighborhoods are to govern themselves and prosper as part of the
> networked world, all our residents need: email accounts and access to a
> Community Service Tier - providing federal, state, city, community
> board, and civic web sites.

  You can do all of this yourselves with a little effort and some thought.

> They also need a structure that develops and
> maintains the web page housing the Community Service Tier pointers; and
> training. The network must provide immediate notification of emergency
> situations upon connection - or a beep with always-on technology.
>
> But since the Internet was not designed with geographic communities in
> mind, there is no simple technology tool kit to provide these features.
> So how do we create a neighborhood network?
>
> THE COMMUNISPHERE PROJECT
>
> In my community we created the not-for profit, Communisphere Project,
> to develop the neighborhood web site, maintain mechanisms for
> discussion, decision making, etc; promote and provide training, and
> promote and/or provide access. Communisphere's web site will be the
> Project's key undertaking; however, we're prepared to be the "provider
> of last resort" for Internet access. (Currently, we provide email,
> listserv, and BBS services.)
>
> We've a board of directors to help decide on access issues: who we list
> on our site - who we host - who we train, etc.
>
> Working through the Community Board, and with the support of our
> community organizations, Communisphere will be designated as the
> "official" site for our community. We'll maintain that all good citizens
> connect to Communisphere - the place where neighborhood discussions and
> decisions are made. And (assuming we take the ISP route) we'll sign up
> about 300 do-gooders via direct dial up accounts.
>
> So how do we let our neighbors using AOL, AT&T, etc. know about us? How
> do they gain access? How do they reap the benefits of a Community
> Service Tier, discussions, emergency notification, etc? How do we reach
> more than the do-gooders? This involves ISP Certification.

  Why does it involve ISP certification?

> ISP CERTIFICATION
>
> Since a key Communisphere role is facilitating the resolution of
> community issues we will only accept bona fide residents as full
> contributing members. We'll use snail mail to a neighborhood address to
> verify residency.

  Why do you need to use snail mail to verify residency to your
"neighborhood network" ?

> These "CERTIFIED RESIDENTS" can also be provided with voting rights to
> elect ICANN Governors. Perhaps ICANN's newly appointed Government
> Advisory Committee can recommend ways to bridge the gap on determining
> which local government is appropriate.

  Do you not know what district your community falls within?  If not
you can easily get that information by contacting your local city council
member.  I believe all of NYC is online.

> But what about the AOL, AT&T, XYZ…users? How do they get Certified? How
> do subscribers to these ISPs gain the safety features and  the right to
> vote in neighborhood and ICANN elections?

  By registering themselves through your own "neighborhood network"
registration process, whatever that might be.

> Our Community Board will provide "Community-Friendly ISP" Certification
> to ISPs that meet minimum qualifications. These will be similar to the
> features promoted/offered by The Communisphere Project: provision of a
> free email account and access to the Community Service Tier (CST).

  Than you will be wanting to have your own small "Community ISP", if
this is your needs.

> Access to the CST should be provided from the ISP's browser - with the
> neighborhood network's icon going bright red in times of emergency.

  You can do this with a simple Browser Java application.  Netcom for
instance does something very similar to what you are outlining now.

> I'm not suggesting that all residents will care to be part of the
> neighborhood. But those who do will be provided with the participation
> and safety features that our "Certified" ISPs offer. And they'll receive
> the additional benefit of qualifying to vote in ICANN's elections. (I'm
> sure billions are holding their breadth on this one.)
>
> ISP's who do not participate and provide these foundation neighborhood
> features, will not be contributing to our community. We'll work with
> Certified ISP. Non certified ISPs will wait.

  And what are your grounds of what a "Certified ISP" should be?