Re: [Membership] James Fishkin proposes Internet Deliberative Council

Whilst applauding  many aspects of this model, do I understand these random
users undertake to remain anonymous to avoid 'capture'?

If I have read the text correctly, deliberative polling is a sampling technique
for one time questioning, not continuous representation.

Also the problem of anonymity remains, in terms of identifying whether the
pollee (?) is the same as last time, has been influenced by (i) outside forces
i.e.captured by interest (ii) has learned too much to be representative of the
sample or (iii) changed in some other way.

Why not take the model, but submit it to a new randomly selected deliberative
group anonymously each time there is a decision to be made. Confers great power
to the group of people assembling the results, but is otherwise complicit with
vox populi and the  principles stated by professor Fishkin.

A variant of this approach is I believe used in some large organizations and
societies where it is known that the obvious decision makers will be 'got',
therefore the decisions are pushed down to those who appear to be compos mentis
or uninvolved. There are obvious risks in appearing compos mentis in a possible
reference group under these initial conditions of course.

MM

--

Mark Measday

Josmarian SA measday@josmarian.ch/measday@ibm.net
UK tel/fax: 0044.181.747.9167
French tel/fax: 0033.450.20.94.92
Swiss tel/fax: 0041.22.363.88.00

L'aiuola che ci fa tanto feroci. Divina Commedia, Paradiso, XXII, 151