From: edyson@edventure.com [mailto:edyson@edventure.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 1999 12:12 PM
To: Michael Sondow
Cc: Diane Cabell; Membership
Subject: Re: [Membership] Fees for Organizations

so make it a smaller percentage of revenues, or define it differently.
I.e.
go with your second paragraph.

esther

At 03:09 PM 01/05/99 -0400, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Esther Dyson a écrit:
>>
>> Excuse me, but 1 percent of revenues is often equivalent to 10
percent of
>> profits. That is rather high....
>
>True enough. But what about enterprises that have high revenues and
>no profits because they are over-spending, paying their executives
>too-high salaries, or any of the other things they do to the
>unhappiness of shareholders (when these exist)? Should these pay no
>fees, when more financially responsible corporations are paying high
>ones?
>
>Lest ICANN fall into the position of the tax-collector,
>across-the-board fees are more feasible.

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: March 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"