[Membership] At Large Council

Re the Santiago resolution "that the At-Large Directors should be
selected by an At-Large Council, the members of which are directly
elected by the at-large members of ICANN," as posted at
    http://www.icann.org/santiago/santiago-resolutions.htm

I recall with fondness those early, headily enthusiastic days when
the proposed Bylaws included such phrases as

"(c) At Large Board members
 other than those serving on the
 Initial Board shall be elected
 by a process to be determined
 by a majority vote of all At
 Large members of the Initial
 Board, FOLLOWING SOLICITATION OF
 INPUT FROM ALL INTERESTED PARTIES [see Note]
 AND CONSIDERATION OF ALL SUCH
 SUGGESTIONS. AT A MINIMUM,
 SUCH A PROCESS SHALL CONSIST OF
 NOMINATIONS FROM INTERNET
 USERS, INDUSTRY PARTICIPANTS,
 AND ORGANIZATIONS, AND SHOULD
 GIVE CONSIDERATION TO SUCH
 NOMINEES. Unless a majority
 vote of the At Large members
 of the Initial Board determines
 that it is not possible to create
 a workable membership
 structure, such process shall
 call for election of At Large
 directors by one or more
 categories of members of the
 Corporation admitted pursuant
 to qualifications established by
 majority vote of the At Large
 members of the Initial Board.
 Any process for election by
 members shall provide an
 initial means for determining
 adequate support for any
 nominee and establish
 qualifications for submission to
 the membership."
   --From Section 9 of the IANA draft proposal for the establishment
of ICANN as a non-profit, public-interest organization.

I'm sure it is not the intention of the Interim Board to create a
rubber-stamp council of any sort -- for a group of 9 officers to
appoint a group of 18 councillors to select a new group of 9 officers
would be too blatantly antidemocratic to even think of -- but,
to the degree that this resolution contradicts the MAC
recommendation (as set forth by mediating staff at
   http://www.icann.org/santiago/membership-staff-report.htm ) that
"'Members' should be individuals, and only 'members' should vote
for At  Large Directors," and indeed insulates the Board from the
direct expression of the wishes of any At large Membership, it
behooves the Interim Board to make public the detailed basis of its
apparent determination that no other 'workable membership
structure' could be found.

Admittedly, the staff report goes on to recommend "that the Board
adopt the CONCEPT of an At Large Membership Council, with
duties and responsibilities to the At Large membership..." but this
is hardly a mandate to create a Council which (s)elects the At
large Directors, nor is it clear that this in any way creates 'parity'
with the Supporting Organizations.

If some analogue to the SO's Council structure is desirable, can
its formation not be left to the at large membership as it was left to
the DSO, the PSO, and the ASO? (Would not  this task, in fact, be
an excellent proving ground for the ability of an at large
membership to learn to work together as a body?) Is it the Interim
Board's intention to _define_ the At Large membership as a
Supporting Organization (ALSO)? (Could this decision not have
been made several months ago?)  While the Interim Board may
see itself as a doting parent, I'm nevertheless curious what age
group it imagines its troublesome membership to have, that it must
be so assidiously protected from any possible contact with the real
administrative world.

kerry

=========
Note:

Perhaps the one substantive 'input from interested parties' (out of a
total of 9 at http://www.icann.org/comments-
mail/membership/current/ )

is msg00005.html :