The .Org Foundation, Inc.
The .Org Foundation was established to efficiently serve the needs of .org registrants and the wider Internet community, via the Domain Name Server (DNS), to be the most accountable registry provider possible for the .org community and to, secondarily, foster self-sufficiency for nonprofit organizations worldwide through the use of Internet technologies.
We believe that technology has the ability to strengthen the nonprofit community by bringing people together, extending the nonprofit community's reach, and leveling the field between the for-profit and nonprofit worlds. We believe that technology, and specifically the DNS, can be one of the most powerful tools nonprofits can use in the pursuit of their missions.
The .Org Foundation intends to fulfill its mission by implementing an action plan that includes the following:
- Operate the .org TLD registry to provide reliable and stable Internet support for the .org community.
- Partner or provide Internet based tools to support nonprofit organizations.
- Facilitate the granting process to provide Internet infrastructure.
- Promote best practices for nonprofit management.
- Provide a public forum for nonprofits to address needs and concerns.
- Hold regular meetings and an Annual Congress to address the information technology needs of nonprofits.
- Designate a specific number of Board Members be nominated by and elected from the .org community. The intention is to have stakeholders from the .org community give input and influence in the direction and oversight of The .Org Foundation.
- Establish a Governance Plan that designates a specific number of Board Members be nominated by and elected from the .org community. The intention is to have stakeholders from the .org community give input and influence in the direction and oversight of The .Org Foundation.
- Implement an EPP polling mechanism that will provide a voice for the .org registrants, the EPP interface will be extended to allow each registered domain to cast a vote on nominated candidates for Director for The .Org Foundation Board and other initiatives put forth by The .Org Foundation Board or the .Org At Large Supporting Organization for input from the .org community.