Historical Resolution Tracking Feature » ICANN52 Meeting Location - Move the February 2015 Meeting to an Alternate Location

Important note: The explanatory text provided through this database (including the summary, implementation actions, identification of related resolutions, and additional information) is an interpretation or an explanation that has no official authority and does not represent the purpose behind the Board actions, nor does any explanations or interpretations modify or override the Resolutions themselves. Resolutions can only be modified through further act of the ICANN Board.

ICANN52 Meeting Location - Move the February 2015 Meeting to an Alternate Location

Resolution of the ICANN Board
ICANN52 Meeting Location

Board approval to identify an alternate location for ICANN 52 and postpone Marrakech as a host location until 2016

Meeting Date: 
Tue, 28 Oct 2014
Resolution Number: 
Resolution Text: 

Whereas, on 26 June 2014 the Board previously designated Marrakech, Morocco as the February 2015 location for ICANN's 52nd Public Meeting.

Whereas, ICANN is committed to holding three public meetings in 2015.

Whereas, unforeseen circumstances, including increasing community concern, lead ICANN to postpone Marrakech as a host location for an ICANN Public Meeting until 2016, and identify an alternative location for ICANN52 (for 8-12 February 2015) as quickly as possible.

Whereas, ICANN has a limited opportunity to secure the required facilities sufficient to host an ICANN Public Meeting in an alternative location for the previously announced dates.

Resolved (2014.10.28.02), the Board approves the postponement of hosting an ICANN public meeting in Marrakech, Morocco until 2016 and authorizes the President and CEO, or his designee(s), to take all actions necessary to confirm the postponement.

Resolved (2014.10.28.03), the Board approves the identification of an alternative location for ICANN52 from 8-12 February 2015, and authorizes the President and CEO, or his designee(s), to take all actions necessary to hold the ICANN52 Meeting in an alternative location.

Resolved (2014.10.28.04), the Board authorizes the President and CEO, or his designee(s), to engage in and facilitate all necessary contracting and disbursements for the alternative Meeting venue for ICANN52 Public Meeting, from 8-12 February 2015 in an amount not to exceed US$2 million.

Resolved (2014.10.28.05), the Board authorizes the President and CEO, or his designee(s), to use the Reserve Fund for additional costs associated with an alternative location for the Meeting, in an amount not to exceed US$1.0 million.

Resolved (2014.10.28.06), the Board directs the President and CEO to continue to assess the circumstances, including travel restrictions, relating to the alternative location for ICANN 52, and periodically advise the Board.

Resolved (2014.10.28.07), specific items within this resolution and rationale shall remain confidential pursuant to Article III, section 5.2 of the ICANN Bylaws until the President and CEO determines that the confidential information may be released, as soon as reasonably possible

Rationale for Resolution: 

As part of ICANN's public meeting schedule, three times a year ICANN hosts a meeting in a different geographic region (as defined in the ICANN Bylaws) of the world. Holding three ICANN meetings in 2015 is fundamental for the ICANN community to complete its work, particularly as the community works to develop proposals relating to the IANA Stewardship Transition and improvements to accountability mechanisms, as well as the substantial policy-related work underway across the ICANN community.

ICANN initially identified Marrakech, Morocco as the meeting location for the February 2015 ICANN meeting. Due to recent circumstances and community concerns, there appears to be a high likelihood that there will be a curtailment of transportation facilities that could prevent a significant portion of the anticipated community and staff members from being able to attend in person.

The risk that many ICANN participants may not be in attendance puts the work of the organization in jeopardy at a critical time. Similarly, hosting a meeting in the African region with significant groups of Africans likely not able to attend negates the rationale behind ICANN's regional rotation of meetings.

By postponing the meeting now to address community concerns, ICANN has the option of finding an alternative location for the February 2015 meeting, and selecting another date to hold the meeting in Morocco.

ICANN conducted a thorough worldwide search of all available and suitable venues. Our analysis of venues to meet our requirements for a full meeting confirms that our options for a February 2015 now are limited to one alternative location. Contract negotiations are close to finalized and must be executed, with Board approval, by 31 October 2014. If the alternative location is not selected now, ICANN will not be able to identify any further alternatives for holding a full meeting in February 2015.

Moving the February 2015 ICANN Meeting as-is to an alternate location makes it more likely that we will have key contributors and a balanced critical mass of community members available to discuss, among other things, the IANA Stewardship Coordination Group (ICG) report together using the consensus process.

The Board thanks the local host for the Marrakech meeting for the extensive work that has already been done on preparing for the meeting, and for its indication that it will accept a postponement of the 8-12 February 2015 meeting. The Board affirms that ICANN is expected to host a meeting in Marrakech in 2016 and has expressed to the President and CEO that it is imperative to identify a specific date for the 2016 ICANN meeting in Marrakech as soon as possible. This decision is not taken lightly, and was reached only after substantial discussion and debate.

ICANN will continue to monitor the evolution of circumstances including travel restrictions and to consider the continuing feasibility of hosting ICANN52 in an alternative location in February 2015. A contingency plan is also being developed to allow a distributed meeting based on remote hubs, should travel restrictions prevent a significant portion of the global community from attending a meeting in one location.

The change to the meeting location likely will result in some financial losses to ICANN, though acting at this time (as opposed to closer to the meeting date) reduces the potential losses.

There is no potential impact to the security, stability, or resiliency of the DNS.

This is an Organizational Administrative Function that does not require public comment.