
ICANN67 | Virtual Community Forum – RSSAC Meeting
Tuesday, March 10, 2020 – 09:00 to 10:30 CUN

FRED BAKER: Okay. Ozan, can we see the agenda, please?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Fred, may I point something before we start?

FRED BAKER: Sure. Go for it.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Because I see we have 45 participants online. I assume we have some quorum or not with RSSAC members. I just want to point out this meeting is open for observation, but basically it's an RSSAC meeting for the RSSAC members. So, caucus members or others are welcome to observe. I guess if you want to make a comment, it's best to first check with the chair and co-chair, Fred and Brad, before jumping. I assume I'm correct, right?

FRED BAKER: Right. Okay. So, are we recording yet?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes, Fred. The recording has started.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, hello. We're all here. So, call to order. Roll call. Who is here from Verisign?

BRAD VERD: Brad is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Who is here from USC?

WES HARDAKER: Wes is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. DISA?

KEVIN WRIGHT: Kevin Wright.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ICANN? Okay. So, I guess Matt and Terri didn't make the call. ISC, I'm here. Jeff, are you here?

MATT LARSON: I'm sorry. Matt Larson is here. Technical difficulties unmuting.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Yeah. Well, I'm forever looking for my mute button as well.

JEFF OSBORN: Fred, I'm here. This is Jeff.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. Okay. NASA?

TOM MIGLIN: Tom Miglin is here.

FRED BAKER: General comment. Your voice is very feint. Maybe you need to be a little closer to your mic or something. Netnod?

BRAD VERD: I put in the chat Liman sent his regrets. He's unable to attend.

FRED BAKER: Right. Is Patrik here? Okay, I guess not. RIPE? Kaveh, you're here.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. And I'm here as [inaudible] today.

FRED BAKER: Okay. UMB?

KARL REUSS: Karl is here. Sorry. Mute again.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. Okay. ARL? I'm sorry, I skipped ... Okay, USC, Wes is here. ARL?

KEN RENARD: Ken Renard is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And WIDE?

HIRO HOTTA: Hiro is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Liaison to the Board. Kaveh, you're here, correct?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And if Liman isn't here, I don't think we have the liaison to the CSC. Brad, you are liaison to the RZERC. Russ, are you here, liaison to the SSAC?

RUSS MUNDY: Yes, Russ is here. Good morning.

FRED BAKER: Good morning. Okay. Liaison from the IAB, Daniel Migault? Okay, I don't think Daniel is here. IANA, Naela are you here?

NAELA SARRAS: Yes, Naela is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And root zone maintainer?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay, cool.

BRAD VERD: Matt Weinberg is here also. He commented in the chat that he was muted when you did the Verisign call.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Mute is a double-edged sword. Okay.

TOM MIGLIN: Hey, Fred. Keith is on. He's just on mute.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Cool. Thank you. So, can we go back to the agenda? So, now, does anybody want to change the ... I'm sorry. We finished the roll call. So, agenda review. While we've got Duane on, we've got several documents to vote on—one that we have specifically deferred and that has to do with the empowered community, reason being that we changed it yesterday, so it's not stable. And we've got some updates and we need to discuss some statements of work. Scroll down a bit, please. Statements of work for possible work parties and then random reports from various liaisons and such. And finally, AOB.

Is everybody happy with that agenda? Do we need to change it in any way?

Hearing none, this will be our agenda today. Let's go back to the top of the agenda. Oh, Daniel is here. Okay.

Now, we need to approve the minutes. Are there any concerns with the minutes as circulated from the last meeting? Okay. Hearing none, let's call for a vote to approve the meetings. Does anybody object? Hearing none, are there any abstentions? What was that? Somebody said something and I didn't understand what was said.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE:

Fred, I think it was just an echo.

FRED BAKER: It was just an echo. Okay, cool. Well, if nobody objects and there are no abstentions, then I think we have approved the minutes. Matt, do you want to talk about the RSSAC Caucus membership?

MATT: Yes. Can you hear me okay?

FRED BAKER: Yeah.

MATT: Okay. Honestly, not too much to report. We did not have new applications in the past month since we spoke. We continue to work with Ozan on following up with some of the caucus members that have not contributed. We did clean up the RSSAC Caucus page on ICANN's website and removed some people who agree that they should no longer be on the caucus. So, that was done and we continue that effort. But beyond that, nothing new to report.

FRED BAKER: Okay. How do you see that proceeding?

MATT: Well, we'll finish that first batch of 20 that we talked about in the previous meeting and then the goal is to identify the next list of people, caucus members, that have not contributed at all or maybe just once in the past five years and we'll reach out to those caucus

members to confirm whether they still are interested and available and being in the caucus and participating in the caucus.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And timeline. Is that this week? Is that between now and June? Is that this year?

MATT: I think the goal would be for us to identify that list of 20 prior to the next meeting and potentially even send it out and I can report on it in the next meeting.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Anybody have a comment on that? Failing that, that works for me. So, thank you, Matt. Let's move ahead. We have four voting items. We discussed the metrics for the DNS root servers and the root server system. I'd like to believe that we're ready to vote on that. So, let me start out, does anybody object to it in any way? Are there any remaining issues on the metrics? Is anybody abstaining from the vote?

If there are no objections and nobody is abstaining, then I have to conclude that everybody is okay with this. So we'll consider that a done deal and move on to RSSAC 2 version 4.

This is something that we've been discussing in calls and on the caucus mailing list. Does anybody have any outstanding issues with it? Is anybody opposed in any way? Is anybody abstaining? If nobody is

opposed and nobody is abstaining, then we must all be for it. So I'll consider this accepted. Directions to publish.

One of the things that grew out of the metric work was some updates to the RSSAC lexicon. Now, are there any objections to the new RSSAC lexicon? Anybody have an issue? Is anybody abstaining?

If there are no objections and nobody is abstaining, then we must all be for it, so we need to go ahead and publish this. We approve it.

Then, the report on the SSR2 draft report or the comments on the SSR2 draft report. Has everybody read this? Is there anyone that has not read it? Does anybody have any objections to the comments that we make?

RUSS MUNDY: Fred?

FRED BAKER: Yeah?

RUSS MUNDY: Sorry, I couldn't find the hand on the device I'm using. Just to let folks know, there will be a fair number of commentary and input from the SSAC on the report. It's quite a bit more extensive than what the RSSAC has reported. I don't want to particularly influence what RSSAC says, but I did want to just advise folks that if that's the case.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. And I'm obviously okay with that. SSAC is allowed to say anything it likes. But with respect to the RSSAC comments, I haven't heard any objections to RSSAC's comments. Is anybody abstaining?

Failing that, it sounds to me like RSSAC approves this statement as the comment from the RSSAC on the SSR2 report.

So, let's move on to Andrew's document RSSAC 23 version 2. Andrew, do you want to comment on that?

ANDREW MCCONACHIE:

Yeah. Sure. Thanks. So, I guess the comment here is this document has been somewhat on the back burner compared to the other ones that were just voted on because there was so much in the pipeline.

But myself and Paul Hoffman and Daniel Rutherford have been doing some work on this document and I think we're very close to a place to where we can have another call and discuss the changes we've made.

So, the update here is that we will schedule a call most likely in the next couple of weeks once we finish up the work we're doing. Thanks.

Back to you, Fred.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. The Governance Working Group update. This has my name beside it, but Brad, you're the one that's actually there. Is there anything you'd like to say about the GWG?

BRAD VERD: Again, I'm there with my RSO hat on. The GWG has met one meeting and it was all procedural and they're working through the initial actions of forming this working group and setting forward regularly scheduled calls, so that's what's going on. There's been really no content yet. It's just all been procedure so far.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Somehow, that's not completely surprising. So, ongoing process—Brad, correct me if I'm wrong here—the GWG is going to be figuring out RSSAC next generation. We're going to be continuing and this is probably for, what, a year or two years?

BRAD VERD: The current timeline as written, or as proposed, I think it's almost two years for the GWG, but I believe that the members think that it can get done a lot quicker, so we'll see. We'll just need to monitor and see how that goes.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. Okay. And I agree that it seems like it could go a lot more quickly than two years, so we'll ask you to comment again as the GWG progresses. We're supposed to approve it at the end of all things. I wouldn't want to be surprised at that point. The point is to keep track of it.

BRAD VERD: Correct.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, moving on. Statements of work. Ken, you have written two statements of work—you were asked to and you did—for possible caucus projects. We have some people that have signed up to them. Would you like to talk about those two statements of work, Ken?

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Fred. I've posted links to the two documents, two statements of work, in the chat if you're interested. So, now that we're done with the Metrics Work Party—thanks, Duane and Russ—we have potential new work items and these are ... Out of a list of topics, these two settled to the top of people being interested in them. Thanks, Ozan, for poking those folks and getting their input.

So, we've gotten some feedback on the statements of work. I would request, encourage, and appreciate any RSSAC members that have any comments on those two statements of work. They are a tool to gather local perspective of the RSS. So, this is not to be confused with the Metrics Work Party, but just getting towards what does the RSS look like in arbitrary locations. So, take a look through that, through the statement of work there. What do we want these work parties to look at?

The other statement of work is the effects of a rogue operator. There's a couple of different ideas of what a rogue operator might be. The statement of work says here are a few examples that a work party would define further what the rogue operators would look like and

what kind of detections, what kind of mitigations and who could/should do what on that front.

Given we don't have the face-to-face time this week, there will be a scheduled call after this week to discuss further the statements of work with some of the caucus members that were interested. I think, Ozan, if we could invite RSSAC members as well, you're welcome, encouraged, and again appreciating any feedback and thoughts on these statements of work. Once we can refine these into something worthwhile, I guess it would have to be approved by RSSAC, and then potentially turned into work parties.

Back to you, Fred.

FRED BAKER:

I'm trying to figure out what the timeline and process is, then. If we're having calls in the next few weeks, I could imagine accepting these and asking the caucus to go do something with them on our April call. Does that sound about right?

KEN RENARD:

That seems reasonable to me.

FRED BAKER:

Yeah. Okay. Let's target that. If it doesn't work that way, then we'll do it in May. But let's target in getting them done and in the mill on the April call.

So, let me ask is that okay with people? Does anybody have comments to make there?

Okay. Hearing none, we'll move on to reports. Frankly, I'm not sure what I have to report as chair that you guys don't already know. Surprise, surprise, we're not in Cancun. So, my report would be that the GWG has had its first meeting. Brad already talked about that. So now we're essentially on a track or a timeline. If there's anything that we want to say to the GWG, such as Jeff, the financial discussion, we need to get that on the table. And that would include any other comments that people have. Brad, do you have anything to add to that?

BRAD VERD:

Really, the only other thing I would add—and it's really a question to you because I was not there because I was on travel. You had a call with Goran or was that cancelled at the last minute?

FRED BAKER:

Yeah. I had a call with Goran. Since it was just the two of us, it actually [inaudible]. I found out, for example, that somewhere in the course of his history, he worked for the same company that I did at the same time that I worked there and neither of us knew that the other worked there. So, he was the head of Cisco sales office or sales division in Stockholm.

There wasn't a lot of real ICANN-related conversation that with had. Things are moving on and he is glad that they're moving on.

BRAD VERD: Outside of that, there was no other update that the group was not already aware of from the chair or vice chair that I'm aware of.

FRED BAKER: Right. Correct. So, let's move on. Kaveh, do you have any comments from the ICANN Board?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Basically, [inaudible] meeting and it was nothing related to [inaudible] that work agenda. We also [inaudible] engagements. As you all know, there isn't going to be an engagement with RSSAC and the Board on this virtual meeting. I think it was basically [inaudible]. Again, I asked the Board one last time. I think it was this Friday. And there wasn't anything special on the Board [inaudible] which wanted to check with RSSAC. So, nothing.

GWG updates. We still have a few more calls [inaudible] for the RSSAC, used to basically Board is going to focus on GWG, although so far nothing has happened. So, no action.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Question for you. You indicated that the financial function discussion that Jeff is working on, that that might come up in the Board discussion at their workshop in May.

KAVEH RANJBAR:

No, I suggested that it's good if we have material reserve sometime in May. So, basically, I can prep the Board on the history and the need and basically not the actual content, but what's the question. And then when the full RSSAC engages with the Board, let's say in Kuala Lumpur, for example, then the Board has a very good idea what we're talking about and then we can actually really dive into the content and talk about the real issues and stuff. Spending a lot of that time explaining, basically, the history and [what are the needs] and all of that.

So, my suggestion was if RSSAC has material ready, the best approach is to spend some time—that I spend some time—in the Board prepping for the RSSAC full engagement with the Board. But no, it wasn't indicated by the Board that discussion needs to be [inaudible].

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Yeah. So, Jeff is pulling together those comments and initial draft of the document that would be headed off in that direction. And let me just leave this open with you. I don't know where the Board workshop is, but if they want me there, I can go there. Okay, anything further with the Board?

KAVEH RANJBAR:

No, I have nothing add. If there is any question or comment ... Generally, the [root] is not so in the spotlight these days which I find good. And I assume GWG will be very soon. So, I think this year [inaudible] most of the actions [will be on] GWG.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Cool. Thank you. Liman isn't here, so I guess we're not going to have a report from him. Brad, do you want to talk about RZERC?

BRAD VERD: Yeah, not much to share. I guess the big news from RZERC, the chair seat was up for reelection. Duane was reelected chair for a year and RZERC is working through potential work items we're just discussing right now. That's all I have.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Russ, comments from the SSAC?

RUSS MUNDY: Thank you, Fred. As I mentioned earlier, SSAC is going to have a fair bit to say on the SSR2 public comments. One of the things that SSAC has been struggling with is the quantity of public comments that seem to hit all at once. So, there's a lot to say on a bunch of different topics and the topic itself of having to review so many things at one point in time is also a topic for discussion with folks.

One of the things that did have SSAC comments on was the KSK rollover plan, as did RSSAC. But one of the things that was in the SSAC comments was that SSAC would like to see an actual more detailed procedure for the KSK rollover prior to going forward. The plan looked good but we'd like to see the specific details.

So, I do not know—I have not heard any response to that input but we are hoping to have an update on the status of the plan, the KSK rollover plan and plan review at the DNSSEC workshop which will be held virtually tomorrow.

So, that's I think the main highlights from SSAC that impact RSSAC folks. Any questions from anybody? Okay, thanks.

FRED BAKER: It helps to press the mute button. Okay. Thank you, Russ. Daniel, do you have comments from the IAB?

DANIEL MIGAULT: No, I don't have any comments.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Thank you. Naela?

NAELA SARRAS: Thank you, Fred. So, one quick update. IANA or the PTI was looking forward to ICANN 67 to go through the PTI strategic plan that's mandated by the PTI bylaws that we've been working on. Regrettably, because we didn't [inaudible] meeting, that session got cancelled. The idea was for PTI to have a session and also talk to the different communities to gather input on the PTI strategic plan. Since that's not happening during the physical meeting, what Kim will be doing is inviting communities to come to a series of webinars to discuss the

strategic plan. So, I will make sure that this group is updated when the webinar is up to gather input from this community. And that's it.

FRED BAKER: Well, great. I think we might be very interested in what the IANA is up to as it affects us.

NAELA SARRAS: Absolutely. Yes. Thank you.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Duane, root zone maintainer.

DUANE WESSELS: No, nothing to report on at this time.

FRED BAKER: Okay. We've come to the end of the agenda. We're at the AOB section. Let me just throw this open. By the way, we actually have 90 minutes scheduled and we've used 31 of them. We've got plenty of time to talk. Does anybody have other issues that we haven't gone through in the agenda that they would like to bring up?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I have a lot of time, Fred, but not related to RSSAC.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, with that, I don't have any AOB on the agenda and I don't hear people bringing it up. So, I think we're done. Let's adjourn the meeting. We'll be back in 90 minutes, I guess.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, all.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thanks, all.

OZAN SAHIN: Fred, this is Ozan.

BRAD VERD: Go ahead, Ozan.

OZAN SAHIN: I just wanted to clarify that the next session on RSO identification will start in about 73 minutes, so it starts at 1545 UTC.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. Okay. Thank you much.

OZAN SAHIN: Sure.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]