

---

MARRAKECH – ALAC Work - Part 2  
Tuesday, March 08, 2016 – 16:30 to 18:30 WET  
ICANN55 | Marrakech, Morocco

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: This is ALAC Work Part 2, 16:30, Marrakech, Morocco. March 8<sup>th</sup>.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, folks. We don't want to waste time here. Now I'm on but I'm not going to have any slides, and I've already talked to you about the review and what's in it. And what I would like now is to have a really open discussion for feedback. There are two questions that we didn't even get to, but I think we should be discussing. And that is with Scott, the independent examiner, is supposed to have an idea of who to talk to, and that's positions, as well as people, and why we don't want to talk to them.

But the other this is what documents or committees should the independent examiner talk about? And listening to a lot of the stuff today. Listening to, for example, the mission and outreach. Well that's something that the independent examiner ought to know about. Because if he, or she, or they, are actually looking at the ALS/RALO interaction and the communication all the way up from the executive and all the way down to the ALSes. Then we have to be saying to that independent examiner, "Here's

---

***Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.***

---

what you can already learn so you're not even asking these questions." So you can get a feel for what it is that already there that you should absorb.

And I don't want the individual or the company to spend time asking questions where the answers are already available. So I want to spend the first, say, five minutes of my ten minutes. Whom should this person be talking to and why? And you can give me a position, you can give me an individual. Who do you think, if we are looking particularly at the structure of ALAC but the relationship between ALAC and the RALOs and the ALSes, where would you say that this individual or group should start? Ideas? Vanda.

And by the way, I'm not going to take notes because this is transcribed and there are going to be notes taken anyway. Vanda.

VANDA SCARTEZINI:

Okay. The relationship in the different RALOs is completely different. And so they need to have views from the presidents or the shares, of course. But we need to have a random aspects of each RALO and get persons, like old and new, north and south, something like that.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: By age as well as by length of time?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yes, because the view of each group is completely different. So if they come out with some questions, certainly, that they go to APRALO, that is more, it's completely diverse but more organized. So they will come out with less questions if they go to maybe to Africa, maybe to Latin America, and so they need to get those information's to have a picture of what is really the RALOs relationships and those relationships with the ALAC. Because it's quite different.

I've been here for so long to see that that is even for ten years now since the RALOs, we had not make much progress in bring more people as the effort we made was not related with what we get. So it's something that they need to figure out and give us some suggestion and some answers to that. Because seeing from outside, it's a very poor result that we got in ten years.

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me. We are on ten minutes per slot. Please keep your interventions very short. We'll be using a one-minute timer. Thank you.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: All right, Jimmy. You're new here. Who do you think the independent examiner should talk to? Why? I'm talking to you. Should the independent examiner talk to you and why?

JIMMY SCHULZ: I really don't know why he should talk to me. Well, because I think we examiner should see us in a whole. And do you think he should really examine each one of us personally?

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm asking. Sandra, your view?

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Thank you, Holly. I was thinking about if this examiner should talk to me. To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't ever gone through such a review, and I will have feared to say something which is not for the benefit of the ALAC.

HOLLY RAICHE: Anything you say can be taken in a positive light. And if what you're doing is highlighting things that could change or improve, why is that not for our benefit? Jimmy wants to talk again.

---

JIMMY SCHULZ: Okay, because I have to think for a second about your question, which I hadn't before. I think, yes maybe it's a good idea that we should have individual talks to see maybe this is the chance to say, to reflect on yourself and on our performance as a group better than in the whole group.

HOLLY RAICHE: Excellent. Wafa?

WAFI DAHMANI ZAAFOURI: Sorry, Holly. I will not be effective for you in this issue. No answer.

HOLLY RAICHE: No. Maybe somebody says to you, "You're very new. What do you think?"

WAFI DAHMANI ZAAFOURI: I have no [inaudible].

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. Leon? Pull your head away from the computer. What or who should be talked to as part of the review that's going to highlight either the strengths or weaknesses or both? And you've

---

been living in a very different kind of way, the whole accountability thing. What's your take on it?

LEON SANCHEZ:

Thank you, Holly. Well I think that there's a lot of work to do in many aspects, right? I think that if we're going to review At-Large, we need to look at different issues like, of course, diversity, support. And by support, I mean, how do we get people in less developed countries or less advantaged countries to actually join the discussion, get engaged? How do we get to have more people than we now have in the discussion? I mean, it is very nice to see all my friends here in the At-Large community, but I don't get to make more friends. You know what I mean? We're missing new faces in the landscape. We're missing new faces, so we need to enhance outreach, I think. We need to enhance the effective role of the different ALSes in regard to leadership positions.

HOLLY RAICHE:

When we're talking to people, would you be making suggestions on who to talk to, to how to produce these outcomes?

LEON SANCHEZ:

Again. Could you please repeat that?

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Who do you think should we talk to, to actually bring forward some of your ideas on improvement? Other than talking to you, they're not going to talk to Wafa.

LEON SANCHEZ: Do you mean internally [inaudible]?

HOLLY RAICHE: Well I want to hear from you, so I'm not limiting what you say at all.

LEON SANCHEZ: Okay. Well I will definitely try to build some kind of plan that involves both ICANN staff because it is, at least to me, it seems obvious that we should need to include ICANN staff. I would also talk to people outside our current ICANN structure, our current ICANN community. Like, for example, I think that the CROPP has done excellent job in outreach, although we have not yet got the results that we expect from it. But I think it's a step-by-step process that we should keep doing. And I don't know, I'm thinking, of course, about universities and thinking, of course, about customer associations in the different countries in which

---

the different RALOs have influence. I think there's a lot of people to speak to.

HOLLY RAICHE: Seun, you're not allowed to yawn.

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me. This session is way over. You have another three minutes.

HOLLY RAICHE: Seun, you've got one minute. And Wolf has a minute.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sorry. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm supposed to have [inaudible] only got ten minutes.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. That was not part of my one minute, right? I think the scope of how to talk to really depends on the depth of the review that is to be done. But from what I get, I think it's an overall review down to the ALSs and so on. So I think we need to talk to each of those levels. I will suggest that all the need to find,



---

maybe at the level of ALAC, but at the level of the ALS, we just pick a fair sample randomly. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Well, to be honest in one minute, it makes no sense to make this comment. Thanks.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think we'll have him talk to you. Maureen, I'm going to ask you because in the outreach, there are plenty of documents that the independent examiner can be looking at to see what we have done for outreach. And the other person that this is at the independent examiner is going to talk to is Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Indeed, there's been a wide, the At-Large Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee has catalogued a variety of outreach materials. And there's been attempts also to create e-books of various materials, and it's all up on our wiki page and in our workspace.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think it's going to be really important that the examiner also talks to ICANN. I mean, the staff and that. Because I think that we're going to look at things like our RALOs actually meeting the, like, I mean, what ICANN believes is the future of ICANN. The way that they're organized. I mean, what they're doing, organizationally, rules and procedure. Are they sort of like, I mean, are they appropriate? And, I mean, how effective RALOs are as getting information out to our IRSs. Of course, I don't think it's been mentioned but ALSes also need to be. Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I did put my card down, but since you called on me. I don't think the examiner has any choice but to talk to all of the RALO-appointed members of the ALAC because they are the interface between the ALAC and their RALOs. So if they're not going to have some opinion, I'm not sure who would. And similarly for the RALO leadership. There's lots of other people, but those two I see as mandatory. I don't see a way of not doing it.

HOLLY RAICHE: Alberto, you can have the final comment. And we all pause for one second.

---

ALBERTO SOTO: I will speak in Spanish. I believe you ask who to, I ask, what people to many people, who do they have to talk about? I suggest that he should talk to the six members of each RALO that are part of the NomCom, the secretary, the chairman, members, ALAC members, but with the ALAC member, but with the previews, preparation. We have developed a strategic plan two years ago. And in that plan, we have a chart with strength and weaknesses, which we have already identified in the RALO. So with that previous preparation, this will give the guidance the examiner would need to start working. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you, and a final world. All of you have got to be starting to think what you're going to be saying to the independent examiner and I very much appreciate the mission and outreach, the sort of documents. Those are the sorts of documents that, in fact, we have to give to the independent examiner, so there's enough, if you will, knowledge of what's already been done to understand, and the strategic plans, for example. Those are the sorts of documents.

So if you think of anything in terms of who should be asked, in terms of what they should look at beforehand, that would be really, really useful because the more information we're going to actually provide to the independent examiner, up front, then the

---

more meaningful the review will be. So all of you really need to think this through, and by all means, email any and all suggestions to me to make sure that we can make this a review as productive as possible and coming with an informed independent examiner when he or she starts. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: And we now revert to our originally planned schedule. Dev, would you like to do Technology Taskforce? Sorry.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. Thanks. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking, Chair of the Technology Taskforce. So the Technology Taskforce has had four conference calls and all of them looked at different things. One of them looked at ClickMeeting conferencing solution. This is our ongoing evaluation of conferencing solutions. Trying to see if there is a better alternative than Adobe Connect.

Next conference call we had was a meeting with David Goulet, who is a developer on the Tor project. Tor is a project that allows you to be anonymous on the Internet. And that was a response to one of the ATLAS II recommendations asking for how given that social media is blocked in certain countries, we should provide credible alternatives.

---

The next two calls were focused on what we have developed as At-Large technology issues page. What we tried to do is just if anybody has any technology issues, they have in using any technology in their daily interaction with ICANN At-Large, be it conference calls, etcetera. We have a wiki page and we try to have staff ICANN IT staff there to hear the complaint and see if there could be workarounds and so forth.

And one of the final calls also discussed the budget proposal to fix the LACRALO mailing list, and which was ultimately submitted and was approved by the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. Just to give an update on the LACRALO mailing list translations, the volunteer ICANN staff person put in some fixes into the new translation tool, doing it all on his spare time outside of ICANN hours, which is not much.

And since the tool is now working again, a call for volunteers was done and several persons have now subscribed to the new list, and new bugs have been noticed and filed for possible fixing. We continue to update the Technology Taskforce workspace. We have been documenting various things, such as the translation tools, for example.

There are now a wide variety of translation tools now available to At-Large. One prominent example is now Skype, which now Skype Translate is now built into regular Skype, so you can have

---

a machine transcription and translation of text messaging between two persons of different languages.

And I think that's a general summary of the Technology Taskforce. I'm happy to answer any questions. And of course, welcome anybody that has any technology issues to please raise them with us so we can work on them.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Dev. One little comment. I'm not really sure with regard to your comment on Tor that we, as ICANN, want to be in a position of saying to people, "These are the tools you should use to violate the laws of your country." We may want to be just a bit cautious on that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Actually, that was one of the initial concerns, actually. But the thing is that we have, we looked in the past and actually At-Large did organize a session on Tor and other solutions, I believe. So it was an opportunity that presented itself as also a learning experience to learn about these things that we always hear about in the news. So that was the intent for actually doing it. Not to say and we have in our ATLAS II recommendations that we have noted your concern.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: There's a substantive difference between having an educational discussion about something and suggesting that that's a solution to the problem. Just noting that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Understood.

ALAN GREENBERG: We have Garth next.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Yes. We didn't present that as a solution to anything in particular. The session was geared towards things that are outside of the DNS that people didn't maybe know about that there were these other Internets, maybe people weren't aware of, and they should be.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for the record, I was at the session and that session is not the session. It was what the way Dev phrased it as a the solution to the problem. Jimmy.

JIMMY SCHULZ: Well in fact, I do think Tor is one solution for the problem that in some countries, you're not able to access the information we

---

provide. And we should be well aware that we are the ones, especially in the Technical Taskforce group, to help them and evaluate tools so everyone on earth can access the information we provide. So I don't think that's a bad idea. And on the other hand, Tor is, of course, also subject to the domain system because, otherwise, what happens if someone registers a New gTLD called Onion?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Just to be clear. There's a subtle issue of just how you phrased these things. Using this information and you, of course, should consider whether it's appropriate in your domain and your jurisdiction is a different issue from saying it's the solution to your problem. It's all in the wording. Anyone else? You've bought us back a few minutes. I'd like to turn –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I will just [inaudible] then give a quick update on the Technology Taskforce session that was held yesterday. So we met with ICANN, Chris Gift and Jeff, I've forgotten his last name now. No. Chris Gift, yes, but it will come to me. But, yeah, no, not that [inaudible] all right. Nope. Anyway, ICANN's IT staff, including Chris Gift.



---

And regarding the LACRALO mailing list issues, there's now a point person assigned to it so and I have to say the translation tool is much better than the current one. So there's been a few bugs identified, but I think as we do the testing, we're going to then decide is it good enough to deploy? Are there any real showstoppers? So that's one thing to note.

The other thing to note that we are going to be looking at the group chat services, and we probably will investigate much more thoroughly. One of the popular alternatives for [inaudible] well one of the popular group chat applications is something called Slack, and what that allows you to do is create a message history sorted by hashtags of conversations.

And, of course, you can do the direct messaging than Skype. We've noted some disadvantages of Skype in that you can't search between message conversations, history is lost if you upgrade your computer, you don't have access to your past years' history, and, of course, the general that the conversations that happen in Skype isn't really accessible outside of Skype itself.

Yeah, so that's it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Dev. Wafa.

---

WAFI DAHMANI ZAAFOURI: Just a little question, Dev. I don't think I missed something or what are the topics you deal in this taskforce and how you choose them?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Well the topics are brought up by the At-Large community. So some of the things that we have been working on is the ATLAS II recommendations and we've been, if you look at the presentation, which is 58 pages, you would see that we've extensively documented what were At-Large recommendations for the Technology Taskforce and what we are trying to do to address them. So that's one of our key things of the work.

The other thing is to find out [inaudible] I guess seek out new tools that could help At-Large do its job better or do it easier. So anything that breaks down barriers, solves ICT issue in terms of communication, messaging, conferencing, we want to test it, to try it out, and hope that answers the question.

WAFI DAHMANI ZAAFOURI: Just I want to add something. Is it related with the concerns of the countries within At-Large? For example, in Africa, there isn't ISPs and they don't know what an ISP is. Do you think that you

---

can do deal what with the concerns of countries in this community?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Judith, I'll be interested to hear your answer before I answer. Go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. So Wafa, we also had then assert, we asked in the beginning of each call before the year, we did this, we asked the participants to send in their comments of what sessions they would like covered for next year. And so we did the sessions from there. And also, on the other thing with ISPs, the reason why we don't cover that is that it's our remit of the taskforce is just applications that ICANN can use or that we could use in there. So we would look at any tools that could help our groups within ICANN Engage.

WAFDA DAHMANI ZAAFOURI: Thank you. ISPs, it was only an example to explain what I wanted to say.

ALAN GREENBERG: Jimmy had his hand up. Did you take it down?

---

JIMMY SCHULZ: It was just a comment that I'm not a fan of Slack because it's not open source. It's a company, and that would make us dependent on one single company. And I would prefer to stick to open protocols.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I mean, there are other group chat applications, including there is an open source version of a group chat solution which is called Mattermost and that could also be evaluated. I just use Slack because it's the common example.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Thank you, Dev. Two comments. Number one, with regard to Wafa's question in ISPs, that's really outside of ICANN's remit. Now on the other hand, when we start talking about use of auction funds, that's a real interesting thing that we should be considering. And lastly, on the translation tool. For those of you who weren't following the details, ALAC put in a budget request, special budget request to give money to IT to solve the translation problem.

We clearly understood that we were not asking for money for IT, we were asking for someone in IT to pay attention or wake up and address a problem that we've had for eight years. It seems to have worked. We asked for resources, but resources mean

---

money or staff or something to do with the work. We weren't worried about whether you had to hire someone new or use existing staff. The whole purpose was to get someone's attention and we apparently did, so it worked.

Thank you very much, Dev. We're going to now turn over to a new speaker for the new speaker, Dev, on Outreach and Engagement.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. And just to summarize some of the things that the Outreach and Engagement has been doing since ICANN 54. So since ICANN 54, we've had like nine meetings. And so, and during those sessions, RALO members have continued to provide updates to their outreach strategic plans, developed as a requirement for the CROPP FY '16 program, and there are links to, well, the slides I provided has links to all of those outreach strategic plans.

And also, we've been continuing to track regional outreach events. All of the five regions have group calendars that we can now update to highlight events that might be of interest for outreach purposes. And also, not just even if it's not outreach events we will go to, we can still do the research to find the suitable candidates from those people that attended just by

---

browsing their archives and who attended those outreach events.

And we're also promoting it as also to [inaudible] those calendars can be of importance to other communities such as the ICANN's GSE for their civil society engagement opportunities. And possibly even for NomCom, actually, which also has to track outreach events. So there's a link on our wiki page that points to the outreach calendars.

Let's see. What else? Yes. Also, a lot of our work was focused on the outreach events for ICANN 55 Marrakech. And just to summarize what is happening during the Marrakech meeting, the university students from the city of Rabat will be at the ICANN venue, close to the ICANN venue from Sunday and here until Tuesday. I actually saw some of the Rabat students attend the Technology Taskforce session and, in fact, we have a new person that's now joined the Technology Taskforce from that session. So what the students have been get from Rabat and from the local university are the USB drives.

[off mic speaking]

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, I see. Thank you. So these students will be getting a set of outreach materials on USB drives that have been prepared by At-Large staff. And on this afternoon, group of persons from At-Large and GSE and staff will be going to the university, Cadi Ayyad of Marrakech nearby, to do a panel discussion with the students there.

Also, AFRALO will be having daily sessions in the morning with several NGOs from the region that are attending this conference. So what we also have done is submitted a proposal to the At-Large Finance and Budget Subcommittee for access by RALOs for funding of local engagement activities. So the idea behind this is that that, okay, the opportunities for At-Large members to do local outreach and engagement about ICANN and ICANN policy-related issues.

So it's not traveling to an event but it may be a local event, so that way the ALS is situated. So that may require a speaker that could speak on the issue. So these open up opportunities for speaking engagements at minimal cost, so the budget proposal states that what we can do is what we are proposing is that each of the five RALOs will be given access to a certain amount for targeted local discretionary funds to permit the local travel, any luncheons, displays, promotions, and so forth.

---

And the idea it will be complete transparency and oversight so that all the RALO budget requests will be reviewed through a process defined once funding is approved. We also then submitted a proposal for the ALAC discretion to use allocated travel slots to support active volunteer leaders within At-Large to travel to an attend ICANN meetings. The rationale for this is that the ALAC has been allocated travel slots for specifically for certain liaisons, and currently, those positions who have been filled by persons who are already entitled to travel to ICANN meetings.

So the proposal is for the ALAC to have that flexibility to use those slots to any particular volunteer leader it may choose. We continue to consult with ICANN GSE staff in chart of the civil society engagement. We've had several discussions with them on our calls. Our key concerns is that we want to ensure that the messaging marketing towards civil society is inclusive towards civil society becoming a member of At-Large as well as the noncommercial stakeholders group. And we will also in working to coordinate with GSE on possible ICT IG events that will benefit with an At-Large presence to assist with outreach.

Finally, we also updated the analysis of the Fellowship program, and that would improve on searching past fellows from a particular region. And we're continuing to update that to include



---

other stakeholders like if the country has a GAC representative, for example.

And let's see, oh, sorry, just two more things. Ongoing discussion regarding ICANN Learn, the Fellowship, and NextGen programs. You heard Nora talk about some of those things earlier today. And the proposal to enhance the stakeholders journey, which was covered earlier.

And finally, we also then worked on tracking document requests. One of the concerns has been for CROPP proposals, the documents were requested and then just submitted too late and staff is not aware of it, and so forth. So we created a wiki page so that it's all centralized in one location. I think that's a summary. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's a mouthful. Comments, questions. You might hold the record of not having any questions. Wafa, go ahead.

Wafa DAHMANI ZAAFOURI: I have just a comment here. Very good work, Dev, and very, very, very persistent, and I hope I can help any discourse that you are involved in.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: You'd be most welcome to join.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anybody else? Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: I speak in Spanish. Dev, the potential fund allocations for the RALOs. In our case, we had this situation that we wanted to organize events, but there was not a problem of location of equipment, but we had a problem or an issue with the translation services. How are you considering the fund allocation? It is provided for catering, for coffee breaks, for the rental of the space, for translation services. My question is how are you considering this? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. So the amount is not a large amount, as we want to see, we can get this approved and have it as a pilot project. So it's not a very large amount, so I don't think it would cover interpreters. Well, interpreters are quite costly, but it's intended to cover like if you have to print outreach materials for the attendees or come up with billboards for that type of stuff, possibly even things like, say, USB drives to give to the attendees or something like that. So that's the idea.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Follow up with Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO: In Brazil, we were going to organize an event and we were not able to organize it because we had \$2,000 lacking in our budget. Would that be, could we have got that amount in that case?

DEVANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. So the idea also would be for if there was a speaking event and it required a long drive of a bus or a train or whatever, you could put in a budget the budget request to say that will cover this cost of the people going there. So that's the intent for this budget request, is to be able to fund the local ALSes to be able to do their local engagement activities. And how it will work is something similar to CROPP in a sense. It will require, you have to do a budget request, state the amounts needed and what it's for, and then it will be approved by the ALAC or some other similar process. I hope that answers the question.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for the record, the amount we requested, if it is approved, of course, is \$2,000 per RALO per year. So conceivably, if you wanted to put all of your money for the year into that event, it

---

was something that could be responded. Personally, I would think putting the whole year's budget into one event would probably not be the wisest way to get it approved next year.

Further comments. Go ahead, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

What I would like to ask first was the limit of the amount that each RALO we have. So I think Alan has said that I wanted to also ask is this schedule going to run throughout the year, or there's really a specific period where you expect the submissions to be made and so on? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: The intent was for that it will work similar to like CROPP, which will be applicable to each physical year.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. To be clear, the reason we requested the money in this way is so when you have things that are on shorter notice than that, which is too late to make the budget request, there may be a way of doing it. Now remember, however, there's a separate budget for printing. We've already established that printing can be done through a separate process. So printing itself doesn't have to go through that one, and with regard, just a follow-on

---

thought, with regard to what Alberto asked, this vehicle is probably not the right one for that. But if you're \$2,000 short on a really great event, and you know that's several months ahead of time, that may be one of the things that GSE can help on.

We have suddenly gotten a large number of people, and I don't have a clue what the order was. Can anyone give me insight or I'll simply, they were around the table. We have Siranush, Wafa, Yesim, and that's an old one. Siranush first, Wafa. Seun, is that a new one? Okay. Siranush, go ahead.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: We have remote participants. Maybe we'll go to them and then.

ALAN GREENBERG: Fine.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Chair. Yes, we do have a comment from a remote participant named [inaudible], saying, "Employee transmission formats such as audio and video [inaudible], which it has been developed by working group of the IETF." Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well I think that was a common bulkhead for the TTF. Yes. We have noted the rise of WebRTC as an important communications

---

standard that will allow audio transmission without any specific browser plugins like flash and so forth. One thing we have noted, though, is that of those conferencing solutions that use WebRTC, they don't have a feature set that would match the needs for At-Large. They don't have a speaker's queue, the ability to show a document onscreen, that type of thing. It just focused entirely on voice chat. But we are looking and we welcome any suggestions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you very much. Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you, Chair. Dev, is there any application form for submission developed for this or we just can send an email requesting, this, this, this, this? This is first question. And second one, if this is not for printing, so my assumption was that we probably can ask for threefold or business cards for the whole year to be distributed during the outreach events, which are planned through different activities, CROPP, etc.

If this is separate and there is a budget for printing, so if it is not for translation, if it is not for any location renting, how we can use those funds? Thanks.

---

DEVANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Well, so you are referring to the document tracking request for outreach proposals. I would say that what you have to do is if you know of the event, you need to notice that the key thing is in advance, you can't do it at a very short at the last minute because staff will not be able to process it and also get the materials to you. And I would also have a caveat, of course, within reason. I mean, you may want to have, say, 1,000 items but realistically, that wouldn't be possible, that would be too expensive. There is a small budget. Now perhaps staff can elaborate on that for communications to be able to do this. So perhaps staff could answer that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So the communications does have a budget for all ACs and SOs. So basically, it's the request, it will first go through a cycle, there's one it would be each request. And then if there's funding towards the end of the fiscal year, then there are additional publications, etc. can be printed. But the key is really to coordinate with At-Large staff way in advance of when you need that. For example, we've recently produced an APRALO brochure, we made the AFRALO for this meeting, we're doing EURALO next, NARALO's after that, etc. So we need real advanced notice.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Private conversations that don't go on the record aren't very useful.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We also did through this special printing budget the cards for the captioning pilot, and Heidi worked with us and helped them to design them according to ICANN standards and what kind of marketing brochures and that style guide they use. And so she was very helpful with that first.

ALAN GREENBERG: With regard to process for this new fund we've requested, I think we may want to wait till we see if we get it before we set up the procedures. There are no specific restrictions at this point because we don't even have the money to start with. Is it conceivable that you'd need a small amount of printing on a very short notice and use it? That's probably reasonable. But we'd like to use the printing service to the extent so we don't draw on this fund. I would suspect we could use it for facilities rental, renting a PA system, if that's what's necessary to do the event.

So there aren't a lot of restrictions but there's not a lot of money, so clearly, there are limitations with what we can do with it.



---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Just to follow up. It would be good if we know all those restrictions to be sent in advance for us not to request and spend extra time on writing the requests.

ALAN GREENBERG: If and when we get the money, we'll think about that. Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you very much. I don't know. I didn't see any other business on the agenda, so I just wanted to throw an any other business item. It's fine? [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: We are about a half an hour late right now. We have Sandra, who hasn't had a chance to speak, and we have our guests for the next session.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Never mind, then.

ALAN GREENBERG: And we've already eliminated a session that was on the list. So I would prefer not to go on to other topics. Sandra, you're on.

---

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Thank you, Alan. I think I can catch some of the time we spend on other working groups. In short, there hasn't been any community activity since Dublin, one reason is because the time in between two ICANN meetings is always too short. And the other reason is that for those work to be done in the near future, drafting a charter and so on and so forth, we need community attention, which we cannot get at the moment because everybody is so busy with the IANA transition and the CCWG proposal.

Nevertheless, one new project is underway and here the credit goes to Heidi. She was preparing all the documents to submit the budget request, and this will be a program to develop sharing skills, which will directly be designed for working group or SO/AC chairs. The idea came up during the last leadership program in Dublin, when participants were discussing how to improve and how to make the meetings more effectively so the idea came up there.

Heidi did submit the budget request. We will contact SO and AC share soon in order to find out if they have an interest in participating in such a program. This will be a sort of a mentorship program. So to say that an external and also and internal community facilitator will participate in teleconferences, we'll meet the chair during an upcoming

---

[inaudible] meeting, probably the C meeting this year, in person, give some feedback, work on his skills, do a review.

So this is a very focused program and we will see how much interest it will find in the community. Alan already not agreed but indicated that you might have an interest in participating in such a program. Knowing the community, I could also think there's some of the chairs say, "No, I'm not interested at all in this," because these things also get very personal when you work with a mentor.

So let's see how this evolves. And the next leadership program will most likely start in the first meeting next year, which will be the A meeting or even the B meeting because it turned out that a C meeting is too much overlapping with other onboarding processes, especially the onboarding process of the Board, but also the GNSO, and this kept away some of the participants at least for a couple of hours or some days, and it was just a pity. So we will start with the next leadership program towards to the next B meeting. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Sandra. Questions? Seun.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah. Thank you, Sandra. I do know that in the past, the Academic Working Group do have an e-learning space sometime. I don't know. Is the scope of the Academic Working Group now limited to organizing physical meetings only? Or is there an intention to also use the ICANN Learn sites to create some learning materials [inaudible]? Thank you.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Thank you, Seun, for that question. Let's say both. I mean, the Academy Working Group is not necessarily producing material themselves, but the aim was that we collaborate with Nora Abusitta's department in order to develop the Online Learning Platform. But it was agreed that first, this group has to be resettled with a charter with a name, with another name in order to make it cross-community working group, and this needs to be done first before we start or before we restart the work.

But as I said, it was not possible to get full attention of other community members. I might have been able to get attention within the At-Large community, but this would not be sufficient. So this is, at the moment, postponed.

ALAN GREENBERG: Anybody else? Oh, sorry. We have Alberto.

---

ALBERTO SOTO: Sandra, the new leadership program, will it be focused on leaders who are already in leadership positions or might there be a leadership training program before they become leaders? In my case, I have attended several leadership training workshops before I joined ICANN but other people in our group who haven't attended those workshops don't have that training, and we cannot train them once they are a member of ALAC or when they want to run for chairman position, etc.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: [inaudible] question, and to be precise, it was more or less agreed to skip the word training, so not to say leadership training program, but leadership program because this actually is the right term for this program, and it is designed for incoming and current leaders. For the current leaders, to mentor the incoming ones, and for the incoming to get prepared for their next duty for their next term.

And also, a very big component in this program is the networking effect and to get to know each other so that really, those who are working for the next two or three years together in their constituencies or cross-community-wise so that they really have a chance to meet each other and to form a network.  
Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG:                   And Alberto.

ALBERTO SOTO:                   Thank you very much. I'm going to speak in Spanish, well if you want I can – I'm going to speak in Spanish. I just want to say that what Sandra is saying is fully true. I was lucky to participate in a leadership program and it was thanks to this leadership program that I decided to run for LACRALO Chair because it enabled me to do some networking and I also felt the support of ICANN and somehow I also felt the responsibility of having to give back what I had learned, and I also realized that many other participants should be taking a similar program. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG:                   [inaudible] comments. Thank you, Sandra. We now have the honor of having Allen Grogan and Maguy Serad. We have skipped a meeting or two without seeing our compliance friends, so I'm glad to see you. I have one question to lead off, but are you planning a presentation of any sort or just here to talk questions and answer?

ALLEN GROGAN:                   I was here to answer whatever questions you want to throw at me.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Well I have one question. I don't need to remind you that there was an exchange of letters between the ALAC and Fadi. And one of the issues was the Consumer Safeguards Director, which was announced an eon ago, and the hope was at the time, Fadi replied that you'd either have a name or at least a statement of progress. So where are we on that one?

ALLEN GROGAN: Sure, so happy to address that. So regarding the Consumer Safeguards Director position in the correspondence that I think both Fadi and I sent to you, we had indicated that we were optimistic we would be able to announce either that we had extended an offer to someone or be able to identify the person by this meeting. Unfortunately, that has not happened.

We have interviewed a number of candidates, we're still engaging with a number of candidates. I'm not sure we've arrived at the right candidate yet, although there are a couple of candidates still in contention. We are also going to do a public posting, which we'll do as soon as we get back to Los Angeles or within a few days after that to try to solicit additional candidates for consideration.

---

Part of the reason why it doesn't account for the entire delay, I'll admit, but part of the reason for the delay was that at the time the position was originally announced by Fadi, we were in the middle of a fiscal year and nothing had been budgeted for this position. And in the ICANN world, it's always challenging to try to figure out how to address cost overruns and budget overruns, so it is budgeted, we are in a position to be able to hire someone. We just need to continue the process of interviewing people and happy to entertain suggestions if ALAC has any candidates they want to offer for us to consider.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I must admit I have two comments to that. You were in the middle of a budget year at that point, but a budget year has come and almost gone since then. So presumably, it was budgeted in the fiscal year '16 budget.

ALLEN GROGAN:

Correct, and we have been engaging with a number of people. We've talked to both people inside ICANN who might be interested in moving to a different position. We talked to a number of candidates outside ICANN, as well.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Since as far as we can tell, that position was never formally posted in a posting. Presumably, you were using headhunters or something. It would really be nice to see what the description was you were using then, and I understand you may do a posting soon once you get back, but I presume there is a description that is on the books right now that you were using to try to fill the position. It would be rather useful if you can distribute that if only as a show of good faith.

ALLEN GROGAN: Sure. We'd be happy to.

ALAN GREENBERG: And, perhaps, we could actually make some comments as to what might be changed in your formal posting you're going to do to help along, help the process.

ALLEN GROGAN: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Questions? Garth, go ahead. You didn't have to put your card up.

---

**GARTH BRUEN:** So thank you. In lieu of filling that formal position, what kind of steps have you taken to reach out to the consumer and gain the consumer trust?

**ALLEN GROGAN:** So I think as we talked about in our session in Dublin, we have done several things in terms of communicating with consumers, posting videos that explain how they can engage with compliance, and those are posted in multiple languages, also posting written explanations of how consumers can engage with compliance. And I think part of compliance's job in performing its functions is to engage with the consumers who interact with compliance and do our job in the best possible way, and we think that helps to build trust with those consumers.

**ALAN GREENBERG:** May I for a moment? I put myself in the queue and we'll go back to Garth in a moment. Let me give you a little bit of history, which you may or may not have been paying attention to in the last couple of months. One of the items in the Affirmation of Commitments, which is in the accountability process being rolled into the bylaws is a mention of consumer trust with relation to gTLDs.

---

As most of the other parts of the Affirmation of Commitments rolled were either confirmed that they were already in the bylaws under mission or something. That one was in an early draft and then disappeared. And we, the ALAC, sat on that issue, not sat on the issue. We pushed it hard. We believe that should have been mentioned. The ultimate decision was that the reference in the Affirmation of Commitments was there purely in relation to New gTLDs and, therefore, the CCT review addressed that issue.

And we agreed. The general consensus was we were not through this process trying to add things to the bylaws, which weren't already there. And since indeed the U.S. Department of Commerce confirmed that the words that we were pointing at were there only for New gTLDs, although it didn't read that way, we dropped the matter.

Be that as it may, the vehemence with which the concept of adding consumer trust in the bylaws was objected to by some parties was noted. Almost as if we don't dare do that, heaven help us if we actually start thinking about consumer trust and have to. But given the fact that it's already in the mission of compliance, that's sort of an anomaly, which is one of the reasons that we were in most right now.

---

Not because the words are not in the bylaws, but because so many people objected strenuously daring to add them. So we really need some signs and messages coming back that this is something that ICANN is willing to be passionate about because we certainly are.

ALLEN GROGAN: Sure, so happy to address that at least in part. So my involvement with the CCWG in terms of the transition was minimal.

ALAN GREENBERG: That was just history. It's not your fault what happened there.

ALLEN GROGAN: But just to put it in context, because I think it's important. In the Affirmation of Commitments, there are a couple of mentions of consumer trust and both of them are in the context of reviews of the New gTLD program. One of them talks about reviewing the extent to which the introduction and expansion of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust, and consumer choice, and the others in assessing the extent to which WHOIS policy is effective in its implementation meets the legitimate needs of law enforcement and promotes consumer trust.

And I think that's the reason that when asked, NTIA said the two places it was mentioned in the Affirmation of Commitments are in relation to a review of WHOIS and a review of the New gTLD introduction, and NTIA said that was not intended. The use of the words consumer trust in that context was not intended as a general commitment by ICANN for that to be part of its mission, and if that were to be the case, it could be a matter for policy development for the community to decide to do that, but that there was nothing in the original Affirmation of Commitments that bound ICANN to that.

In the context of the ICANN contractual compliance department, we do say, and I pulled up the language, I think, so I can quote it accurately. We do say that it's to promote, the security, stability, and resiliency of the Domain Name System and to promote consumer trust. And we do think that's part of our job.

Again, I think as I understand the ALAC has wrestled with from time to time defining who their consumers are and what that means is a complicated issue. So when Fadi announced the appointment of me to oversee contractual compliance and consumer safeguards and announced the creation of this position, which we're now trying to fill, he made it clear that that was not intended to expand the remit of ICANN. It was not intended to make us into a regulatory agency or a law

---

enforcement body, that the job that we do I think is in two components.

In terms of contractual compliance, it's to do our job well, and if we do our job well in terms of enforcing contracts, we build trust with consumers of our services, who include contracted parties as well as people who submit complaints to us. And then more broadly on this consumer safeguards position, which I've been working on part of my time pending the appointment of a consumer safeguards director, a lot of that is about conducting outreach and working with those people who are entrusted with regulatory enforcement and law enforcement to see what we can contribute cooperatively to do that, but the intention is not to turn ICANN into a consumer protection agency or a regulatory body or a law enforcement body.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Nor our intention to ask you to do that. No. I mentioned the whole issue of the AOC and the accountability work not because of the outcome or the details, but because of the vehemence with which it was fought. And not by ICANN staff but by various parties within the community and that sent a message, which was not pleasant.

---

**MAGUY SERAD:** Thank you, Alan. We have had the vision and the mission statement for compliance out there since 2012, and that's because when I first came onboard, it was very obvious there was no trust in our services and we also quickly realized. So do we call customer trust? We struggled with that.

In the absence of a definition, we said consumers we are all consuming these services. Now as Alan said, with him taking leadership of our department in addition to another role, the safeguards, and since this stakeholder group also is questioning the consumer, I even want to ask, "Oh, my gosh. Do I need to now change the mission?"

So we put a hold on that because we still believe in the service we deliver. Compliance doesn't sell cars. We enforce the contract. We deliver a service to all the community members. Everybody comes to us for complaints. And we also monitor on behalf of enforcing the contract, so just wanted to also add that one note, please.

**ALAN GREENBERG:** If you do remove it from your mission, you will be sending a rather bad message to us. Garth.

**MAGUY SERAD:** Exactly.

GARTH BRUEN:

I have to disagree with both of you in terms of the AOC. The consumer trust issue is in several portions of the AOC. That's at the top level, too, Alan, in section number three. While it is referred to specifically in other sections along with the new gTLD program. And it also stresses that the consumer trust issue be implemented before the new gTLDs are deployed. That's actually what it says.

And it's been a long time since the new gTLDs went live, and we're still talking about defining the consumer trust. And whether or not consumer trust was an intent when it was in isn't the issue. The issue is that it's there. If people don't like it, then they have to find a way to remove it from the AOC, which I don't know is even relevant anymore.

ALAN GREENBERG:

We could but I would prefer not to revisit the several hours of discussions we had on the Accountability Consulting Group within At-Large on that issue. We can hold it privately. I put a fair amount of my soul and energy into trying to get it changed. That wasn't one of the ones that we want.



---

**GARTH BRUEN:** I'm talking about what the millions of people out there might be reading as opposed to what you were thinking. Anyway. About the videos that you mentioned earlier, do any of them deal with any issues other than domain transfer issues or domain registrant problems?

**MAGUY SERAD:** Thank you, Garth, for the question. One of the initiatives we put on fiscal year '16 is to improve the knowledge and the awareness of contractual compliance role. So the first video we put is very simple what to do, what is contractual compliance, and how we can help. And we've been working with the Communications Team to test the traffic.

Again, we don't want to just spend money if nobody is looking at it. But we are building additional infographics to drive the different areas that we are seeing, confusion from the community on how to either understand a provision or understand a complaint type. So we do have plans to continue the video. I don't have an answer for you at this moment.

**ALAN GREENBERG:** Thank you, Maguy. May I suggest that we try to talk to each other and communicate other than at these meetings? And perhaps we could have some insight. We have just a few people in this

---

group who do care passionately about it, and may have some suggestions, and also a few who have some experience in this area in their own parts of the world. So we would be delighted to work with you and BE given the opportunity to help you do what we believe and hopefully you believe needs to be done.

ALLEN GROGAN: Happy to engage with it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Holly, we've already established that roses are not a sufficient for speaking rights. Go right ahead. Go right ahead, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: What is your relationship with the Ombudsman? Because it would strike me that people don't necessarily understand the jurisdiction of the Ombudsman and its limitations. Are you getting information? Do you coordinate with the Ombudsman? Because it strikes me that there may be an interesting source of information in terms of people have a complaint, it may be a compliance issue. He may or may not be able to deal with it. And I'm just wondering if there's a coordination there where you can actually pick up some problems that may not come directly to you.

---

ALLEN GROGAN:

So I'll try to address that and then ask Maguy to jump in if she has additional information to contribute. So the way the Ombudsman is established at ICANN, which is true in most organizations that have an Ombudsman is the Ombudsman's office is really independent of every other department, and that's intentionally so. Right? It's really walled off, complaints to the Ombudsman are not shared with other departments, the Ombudsman doesn't inform other departments what he's doing, how his deliberations are going.

We do, from time to time, communicate with the Ombudsman after the fact. We do, from time to time, suggest to people who've submitted complaints to us, and been dissatisfied with the results or complaints to us that are outside the scope of what we can do from a contract compliance perspective that they might pursue a complaint with the Ombudsman. But there is sort of a wall between the Ombudsman and everybody else and that's intentional.

ALAN GREENBERG:

You have a follow-on? Go ahead.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah. The reason I ask in the telecommunications industry ombudsman in Australia, it started off, as you describe, completely independent and so forth. Not very quickly, within two or three years, what they set up was what they called systemic complaints. And what they did with systemic complaints was they identified there is an issue that they keep hearing about, and rather than simply keep referring complaint by complaint by complaint and saying the same thing, it then they go back into industry, the regulator, whomever, to say, “This is an issue. You need to solve it.”

And so, I mean, while I see the role of the Ombudsman, yes, necessarily independent, that is a really important source of feedback that may actually enhance your role and what everybody else does.

ALLEN GROGAN: I mean, I think that’s a constructive suggestion to think about, whether there’s some way to address systemic repeated complaints, whether it’s to compliance or to the Ombudsman. Something we will consider.

ALAN GREENBERG: Further comments? May I then follow up? Maguy and Allen said you’d be delighted to interact with us. How do we do this and

---

actually make it work? Because we've said things like that before but it never seems to come into being.

ALLEN GROGAN:

So yeah, I guess the question is I'll pose back to you is if you want us to reach out to you, who's the right person for us to reach out to? Should we reach out to you? Should we reach out to? Is there a committee? Is there a person? Who's the right contact person and how should we do that? And we're happy to do that.

ALAN GREENBERG:

For want of anyone else [inaudible] and copy to our staff to remind me to make sure I do it. But once we see the kind of thing we're talking about, we'll put something in place as necessary. The item we skipped in our agenda because we ran out of time was a revamp of our working group structure. And there was one there looking at registration issues, which was a sort of generic name, which includes compliance and if indeed there's something for that group to do, then we will make sure that there are people who will eagerly respond to you.

ALLEN GROGAN:

Okay. We will reach out to you accordingly with you on who else within ALAC we should contact, if it's not you after that.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: And similarly, once a very long time ago, and we won't talk about that. We won't analyze that right now. We were told that if we have something with compliance, fill out a form and someone will look at it. And I'd like to think we're on a better relationship now than that and can find a better vehicle to do it.

MAGUY SERAD: I think you have all heard me say it in all stakeholder groups. My email address, and I check my email seven days a week, every day of the week, every night of the week. And I do respond. I don't go to bed with an email not addressed. Let me put it this way. So please reach out, but I would like to suggest is when you reach out, reach out with clarity.

I hate to be playing ping pong emails with people. It's not efficient. We would like to talk about this topic and these are the team members, even suggest placeholder dates for me. Then you would hit three emails in one. Okay? That allows me then to bring the subject matter experts and engage with the right people. We're very happy and always available for any dialogue.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you never go to bed with an unanswered email, you're far more diligent than I, I must admit.

ALLEN GROGAN: She is that diligent.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand. Personally, I hope the answer is once there's an exchange of email, let's talk on the phone and make sure that we understand each other. Thank you. Any other comments? Do we have Olivier back yet? We're chasing Olivier. Ah. So we're comparing a music event to all future At-Large GAs and summits. Okay. That's a reasonable tradeoff.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You have to have priorities.

ALAN GREENBERG: Indeed. All right. We'll take the opportunity, perhaps, of a few of the people who are on the outreach event to tell us how great it was or something, and while we're waiting for Olivier to come in. Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to cut you off.

MAGUY SERAD: Oh, no, no. Thank you. I know you invited Allen and Allen brought me along, so thank you for bringing me along. But I want to remind everyone, every Wednesday at every ICANN meeting, I fight for a high-interest schedule. I need you there.

---

---

Holly's been there, many of you have been there. This is a forum where compliance facilitates, we provide you high-level updates, some metrics on our operations because that's always important, but the most important part of that session is you.

You bring forward a concern, I facilitate the dialogue. You're going to have registrars, registries, sometimes even law enforcement, IPC participation, and I would really encourage ALAC to join us in that dialogue.

ALAN GREENBERG: When is the meeting this week?

MAGUY SERAD: It's Wednesday morning. I'm sorry. I've been hopping meetings. This is my roadshow today. It's on the schedule, contractual compliance program update. I think it's at [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: I encourage our people to go to it unless, of course, there's a competing At-Large meeting.

MAGUY SERAD: 9:00 AM.



---

ALAN GREENBERG: In which case, you're not allowed to. It is in conflict with Capacity Building and with the Board and the GAC meeting. It's not against any ALAC/At-Large-wide meeting, but Capacity Building does have some merit.

ALLEN GROGAN: There's also another session that might be of interest to you, which I reserved, but is going to be chaired mostly by the Domain Name Association. They came out with a what they're calling Healthy Domains Initiative, which is to try to self-police abuse in the DNS through collaborative efforts and best practices, so at 10:45 to noon tomorrow, there's a session called Healthy Domains Initiative. So if you're interested in that, you might want to attend. They announced that about two or three weeks ago in Seattle and they're going to give a presentation here explaining what they're doing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Allen and Maguy. And Tijani, I didn't forbid anyone going to your meeting, I just said I'm not absolutely requiring everyone to go.

ALLEN GROGAN: Thank you very much. Very, very much.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. Sorry. Okay. Could we have a report from Tijani, Sebastien, someone who is at the outreach events, to give us a three-minute summary? We have pictures. Cheryl? Cheryl taking the microphone.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think it is on. There we go.

ALAN GREENBERG: There we go.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Tijani, I'm just going to talk for a moment because I don't know that you and Aziz in absentia. Where is he? Is he not with us? Anyway. I don't know that you and Aziz could say enough complimentary things about each other, and I want to. I think this afternoon's activity was nothing short of superb. We had a highly engaged group of bright-eyed bushy-tailed youth. They were scarily intelligent. They were asking brilliant and wonderful questions.

The work that Tijani and Aziz had put into coordinate not one but three institutions, if my counting is correct, means this is a stepping stone for a regional initiative, which I know they will do

---

us proud in, but I want the rest of At-Large and the ALAC in particular to recognize this in my less than humble opinion as a benchmark moment in outreach. Thank you, Tijani.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, thank you. I want to take the world of benchmark because one of the discussion about the B meeting, it's what we will do on Monday. And we are benchmark on what to do on Monday. We could have spent all day with this 100 student because they had question and question and question, and we cut them. And we have few answers, someone says in which cut the answer.

Then we are really where we wanted to be for the B meeting on the Monday, and it's why I completely agree with Cheryl. I can't put better words but I want just to raise that issue because I know that it's something a lot of people, including in this community, have difficulty to understand what was the dream of the Meeting Strategy Working Group, when they say, "Okay, let's go to a small country, small with the facility," I am not talking about the what is they're doing, but with small facilities, those country, and we need to one day have outreach.

---

Maybe it will be just a half day, but it was a showcase of what we can do in the future in those B meetings. Thank you. And thank you for, yeah. I agree with Cheryl, then I will not say again.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much for the compliment, but I would like to report on what we did. We intended to make it a more interactive than a simple panel. We made it, if you want, the panelists spoke very, very short. And then we gave the floor to the students and they asked very pertinent questions, sometimes some stupid question, but there is no stupid question for me because – even if it is stupid question, it is perhaps stupid question for me. It is not stupid question for them.

So I love it, we did it in a cool manner. There wasn't, if you want, it was very cool. Everyone was very relaxed, and the result in my point of view was very good. As Sebastien said, and as I said in the teleconference, this event is a training for the meeting B and a hope we will try to make better in the future. Thank you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Tijani. For those who haven't kept up on this, can you do a very brief summary of what kind of pre-meeting, pre-work was done with this group?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. There was a huge work done before because, first of all, we have to identify students and we did it from three different university. So why it is three? Because we wanted to be diverse. Telecommunication, IT, and IT and telecommunication. So it is diverse.

Second point, we tried in the selection of students because there was a lot of applications. In the selection of students, we tried to make it really balanced, gender balance, also a region balance because they are from different region. And before they come, Aziz briefed them. And so they are not absolutely, absolutely newbie. They know more or less about the subject.

What else? There is the logistic issue, I will not speak about it. It was really something very difficult to organize, but they managed to do, and I want to thank them very much. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you, Tijani. I think there's a direct relationship between what you just described and what Cheryl described as the outcome. Going into this kind of thing cold would not result in

---

the same thing, and the passion that you and Aziz had and put into it in preparation for it, I think, is directly reflected in the outcomes. So thank you very much not only for today, but for the work you put into it ahead of time, and for the vision of the committee that recommended it.

Anyone want to describe who's in the pictures while we're waiting for Olivier?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I see Cheryl, Tijani, [inaudible], Asia, Aziz, Olivier, Daniel. I can't see the back. Who's in back of Aziz?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I am sleeping on the back of the bus.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Who's next to Aziz?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sebastien is hidden.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry. Who is next to Aziz? He was an integral and essential part of the success of the operations, and I can only apologize, for the record, I do mean for the record, that I did not specifically call

---

out Yesim’s work. He acted as our voice and our ears when we did not speak the same language. So he did simultaneous English to French to the audience, and French to English for those of us sitting at the table next to him without the ability to, in my case, even speak English well.

So he was terrific. He was terrific particularly because he is clearly experienced in this work. Not just familiar with our technology, but he knows how to stop, clarify, and ensure that what you are saying is said accurately in the other language. It was as a trust exercise with professional interpreters, par excellence.

**TIJANI BEN JEMAA:** And someone who understand both languages, I can tell you that he’s a very skilled interpreter.

**ALAN GREENBERG:** Thank you very much. All right. In the absence of Olivier, we’re going to go back on the schedule to the item we missed because we ran over on the workgroup review. And that is the discussion on revitalization of workgroups and what we should do going forward. There is not enough time or, I think, nor have we done the preparation to make decisions at this point, but I’d like to have a general discussion.

---

It's one we've had before without any real result and I think this time going forward, we don't have the accountability group and the stewardship taking up all of our time. And hopefully, we can move forward with it quickly after we go back from Marrakech. Can we have up the list of the working groups we're looking at? I'm presuming we have one ready for the session we didn't have.

Okay. I'm told we don't have a list, but staff will read it out, and we'll do it one by one. All right. Finance and budget and outreach and engagement. I think they are both actively working and there's no question about whether they're continuing or anything in relation to that.

Committee on metrics, we decided to put in advance while we're working on the ALS expectations and criteria, I think that still stands. Cheryl, as chair, is that correct? Capacity Building Working Group, Tijani already said that's defunct and not doing anything. Capacity Building.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thanks to Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Capacity Building is doing a fine job under Tijani's work, and he's doing it so well that most of us can pretend it's not there, but they keep on churning out webinars and other materials,



---

and I thank you. I don't think there's any question of revitalization of it, although with the turnover in people, Tijani may well be asking for additional people to get involved. But I'll leave that up to him.

IDN policy. Anyone has done anything in the last year? Two years? Do we need an IDN Policy Group at this point? Cheryl, go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Alan. As someone who had served in this committee for an extremely long time a while back, and who when IDNs were in their earlier stage and doing the Cross-Community Working Group on IDNs, and this was a vital working group for the ALAC to have. I do not believe that vitality is still the case.

I do believe that should we have the need to make expert commentary into something that this would normally be taken care of, we have specific individuals that we can task. They are really the same individuals without a working group that we'd be asking to do via the working group to do the work we ask them to do. Wow.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Alan. A general IDN Working Group, I don't believe it is necessary for us now. But there is a subdivision of

---

IDN groups that are now working, such as the LGR groups, and Edmon asked us to join a group that he was chairing. I think that it would be good for people for the specifically because each LGR is for one language, for one script, for people who use this script to join the group so that the voice of the users would be there. But a general IDN working group, I think that first it wasn't active, and second, there is not a real need now.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah. I'll point out that as the LGR groups are being formed, there are calls going out for membership. Look who's here? So we may actually want to pay attention to those a little bit more than we have in the past. But that's not something that we need to a working group to do. Yes, Tim. Go ahead.

TIM DENTON:

I think any group inactive for two years, you should just have a general rule that it should be discontinued until otherwise justified. And that might handle those an automatic process a number of committees that have fallen into inactivity. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Probably a good general rule as we'll find out when we finish going down this list. It may not apply to one or two of them that

---

for whatever reason, are still there and may be more relevant than we think they are. But this one we clearly have a recommendation to dissolve. Olivier, do you need a couple of minutes to prepare? We had a session of a half an hour to look at the it was called a deep dive into the white paper. We now only have 18 minutes or so left.

Pardon me? If you're prepared to start, we'll switch off this immediately. Otherwise, we'll do one more working group. Just tell us which. One more working group. Next one is the At-Large New gTLDs Working Group. That was a reference to the New gTLDs before they were announced and during the implementation phase. Under normal conditions, I would say that group should be dissolved, abolished, it's finished.

But we are just starting a PDP, which will go on for some time, on the next New gTLD. And as I said in the GAC meeting today, I do not believe we have enough involvement from At-Large in that group, so I think we need more people who are active on that group But in addition to that, we've learnt a lot from the IANA Issues Group, and although I don't expect this activity to be quite at the same level, I think we really need a support group that talks through these things so we're not just having individuals each contributing what they don't want.

---

So I would suggest, perhaps with a slight rename, that this group be revitalized, that we find someone who's willing to chair it, or some, perhaps, pair of people willing to co-chair it, if necessary, and start populating it because I think it's a really, really important issue.

For those who weren't around, we spent five years building the applicant guidebook for the New gTLD process. It was a painful process, there were a lot of decisions to be made. Once the program was announced, there were then a whole new set of problems, which no one foresaw to begin with.

They were just through a number of mechanisms that are probably not available to us anymore because we have gotten a lot more careful about how we design policy in ICANN, so we can't make as many mistakes. Therefore, it becomes much more important that this new PDP really address some of the hard issues, then otherwise they're going to come back at us later. So I would suggest with due consideration for, perhaps, a rename that we do what we can to get this committee going again. Kaili.

KAILI KAN:

Yeah. Also, I think about a few months ago, as Carlton and myself were appointed to be to join the CCT RT, the Review Team. I believe that within our ALAC, we had a discussion that ALAC does not have enough representation, CCT RT, when we're

---

thinking about establishing some kind of home base or home team to support ourselves at the CCT RT.

However, and are there some discussion, as I remember, I think we talked about this working group that At-Large New GTLD Working Group to continue and then to play the role as support for the CCT RT. But after since then, this seems like didn't happen at all.

And also, I do feel the pressure to represent ALAC at the CCT RT. So I urgently need this support from this working group. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you, Kaili. And as a suggestion in the future, when we ignore something that we said we're going to do, remind us continually. We'll eventually remember. But you are correct, we did say that this group would be somehow revitalized to serve that purpose. We have not done that. That's another reason to do this really quickly.

Now given that, we will need some people to chair this and lead this. I'm not going to ask for volunteers today. It's possible that we may come out and point to people and say, "Are you willing to?" But think about it. We do need a lot of active participation regardless of whether you're chairing it or just being a

---

contributor to it. So we'll stop now and turn it over to Olivier. Thank you, Kaili, for the intervention or reminding us of what we promised, and we will make it happen one way or another now. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. So I'm not quite sure how we're going to work this one out. I thought that the deep dive would just be Alan, Heidi, and I. I haven't had a chance to read Heidi's responses or feedback from what she's provided so far. I've been a little bit busy this afternoon, so I'm not quite sure how we can take this.

We can have a look at the main document again and, perhaps, point out any specific inadequacies with it. I know that Heidi did mention that in my traumatic experience, I think that's the word, traumatic experience of Costa Rica, I completely forgot that a LACRALO general assembly took place there. And so it seem that the numbers have a few errors inside the past, if you want.

But apart from this, I'm not quite sure what else we can sort of add to the whole thing. We've reviewed the proposal as a group, as a large group, a number of times. It was just down to putting the last few final touches before we move forward with it.

---

I have sent a copy of the latest document to Rinalia; I haven't heard back from her on it. And I've got the corrections from Alan. I don't think any of them are major, per se. They don't change the context of the document. And maybe Heidi can let us know if there are any things that she thinks needs to be typos and stuff like that, we can work out.

ALAN GREENBERG:

If I may. Clearly, the document as it was distributed beforehand, although much of it was appendices and annexes and things with various similar names, it was a 26-page document, I believe, or 22-page. No document we send to Board members is going to be read like that. So I think we have to make it look shorter, even if we don't change the content.

I'm not sure at this point, given that you're still in the midst of revamping it and we're missing some of the hard data, whether there's a lot of merit in us trying to do it on the fly right now. That sounds too much like trying to wordsmith the document. So I would suggest, perhaps, we defer this and try to have, perhaps, a dedicated teleconference soon after this meeting ends. Once we have a good document that we can then get people to read, but I open up the floor, if that's a good idea or not.

---

Tijani was first, but Olivier, I'll give you the floor first to because whatever you say may affect what Tijani says.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for your suggestion. I would be happy proceed forward with that. One piece of feedback I have received, as you mentioned, it's a 26-page document. The actual proposal is nine pages. So we could have a one-page summary added to the beginning of it, and I do note that several people that have come to me directly have told me that the second appendix, so not the one, which describes ATLAS in detail, but the one, which provides full details of the ATLAS II program that we had in London could be scrapped altogether.

Perhaps I could ask if people here think that it should be scrapped. That will take away, my math is ridiculous at this time. A number of pages. 22 minus 14.

ALAN GREENBERG: At worst, it can certainly be summarized into less than one page.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Eight pages gone.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani.



---

**TIJANI BEN JEMAA:** Thank you very much, Alan. I said what I am saying now before. I find the document Olivier wrote very good. But I would see it as a main document, short, because the main document is very short, and appendixes or addendums. Because what is in those appendixes? It is the history, what we did before. Now we have a proposal and we give the proposal clearly and we say it is, we are saying that because before, we did that, and you see the appendix. I think in this matter, the document that the Board will read will not be long. Thank you.

**ALAN GREENBERG:** Thank you very much. Kaili. Oh, old card. Olivier, go ahead.

**OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:** Yeah. Thanks, Alan. So just earlier, I said, “Well we could scrap that second part.” Of course, Tijani did mention that yes, there is history in there. Rinalia said, “Well, you don’t need to look at the past; you have to look at the future.” The thinking behind having the two appendices was to know that there are a lot of new Board members who might not even have been there during ATLAS II, and this would be entirely new for them.

So we have a mix now of Board members, some who are new, some who have been there and who will snigger at the fact that

---

the whole thing was there for so long. They'll be like, "Well hang on, why did you give us such a big document?" I don't know how we're going to work this one.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I have some suggestions, but we don't need to talk about the detailed editing. Go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Olivier, just two quick comments is that at the beginning, just because the Board's attention needs to be really focused very quickly.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Was it a four-year-old that's gone on to a two-year-old now?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So I would suggest that at the very start of the document, that you prepare in just outline form what the document is requesting and what the paper contains, and then go on to what paragraph, one or two paragraphs of an executive summary. And then just carry on with meeting those aims.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: The history is important in how it evolved, but we don't need to go into too many levels of detail. I don't have in front of me right now, so I'm not sure I'm going to try to, again, design the paragraphs on the fly. We can certainly talk about it later. And if anyone who hasn't looked at the document wants to look at it and give some critiques as a new set of eyes, where you may want to wait till the next version, but we don't have a large window.

When does the comment period close on the budget? Okay. We're a month away, approximately, or a month and a half. Clearly, we have to do it well before that, but I think we need to actually submit it to the Board prior to that, although we may choose to contribute it to the public comment, as well. So we've got a few weeks, I guess, at this point, but not a lot.

Yes. But time so that we have a new, clean version by then. So we'll have to coordinate with Olivier on when that will be done. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. So since we are all face-to-face here, there is another question, which we have worked on with Ariel, and that's the table. The table is pivotal to the whole document, and I'm not talking about the extensive table on the Google document, which is just for anybody who's really interested in

---

total numbers, and I don't imagine anybody else but Xavier will be looking at that.

Ariel and I have worked on the table on the white paper to try and simplify it and clean it up. We wanted to find out right here, as you see it, whether it's more understandable than the previous version, which I agree was confusing. That is not the table. Try again. Version 0.4, we edited it together, so you should have it. Okay. If you allow me one minute, then I'll email it to Ariel and we can have the latest.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I can comment without seeing the current version. Yeah. I think what we need to do is show what we have done to date. So if we simply have essentially the GA meetings that were held, and I actually think there's some merit in showing the ones before the first summit, because those were the ones that were for the formation meetings to a large extent. And then we showed the summit, and then a list of in order with the appropriate dates, if necessary, when GAs were held in the five regions, then the next summit, then the current one. Problem there is we have far more lines than we need to convey the information. And that makes it somewhat confusing to someone. Dev.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Would a timeline be better for this to show the instead of all these actual tables? Just have a timeline highlighting what's happening, what was a GA, what was a regional assembly.

ALAN GREENBERG: That could well work well. That could well. Sorry. My mouth is not working. That could work well. Cheryl? Are you just repatriating the microphone?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would like permission to go to the toilet, please, Mr. Chairman. I could take the microphone with me, but I'm not sure the reach is [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Cheryl, it was for the record.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can we edit the audio transcript, please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm an open book, it's fine.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you very much, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Follow that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So the table is here, well I'm focused on the table at the moment. The table is as you see it there. I thought this was a timeline, I don't know how you would see the timeline to be.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No. What I mean when I said a timeline, I mean like the graphical timeline where you have like a line either horizontally or vertically, maybe vertically given it's a lot of data. And then you have draw outs, two tips that highlight what you're trying to illustrate. That's what I meant by a two timeline.

ALAN GREENBERG: We'll go to Sebastien in a moment. We're officially over time and we have to let the interpreters go shortly, but I will keep the floor open for one or two quick interventions. Sebastien then me, and I don't see any other cards up. Go ahead.

---

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Olivier, you may remember, I met a presentation with a timeline from their story of ALAC and At-Large, and you take this presentation in some of your own presentation. Maybe you can use this type of timeline to those information or to do it the same way, and it will be easier to understand on the image, I guess. And thank you for the proposal and the idea, Dev.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, just as a comment, although I think what Dev suggested sort of as a horizontal timeline may have some merit. Even in this format, if you look at the columns that say that that have yeses and nos in it, they basically replicate themselves except for the ones where there is no summit that year. There is no GA at all. In which case, they're all nos. So I'm not sure there's a lot of information conveyed in them, and that's the kind of thing I was talking about.

But really, editing documents and tables in a group of 25 people, I find exceedingly unproductive. So we are over time right now. Does anyone else have any final comments before we go? Tijani. Tijani and then Olivier.

---

**TIJANI BEN JEMAA:** Thank you. I see the timeline here. The second column is exactly the timeline. Why do you want it to be, I don't know, a scale of? You have the timeline. And I find this table very helpful. It is not complicated. It is clear here.

The other tables were really confusing. This is not confusing. So you can improve it if you want, if there is any improvement, but I find it workable. And we put all tables as appendixes so that our proposal will be short to the Board, so if they want to read, and then if they want more information, they go there.

**ALAN GREENBERG:** I think we have plenty of ideas and plenty of people volunteering to be editors. Olivier.

**OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:** Thank you, Alan. So on the idea of a timeline, I'm not against it, but I do remind you that we have 24 past meetings and 15 meetings in the future. So that will be a timeline. I don't know how many lines you can fit on a timeline, but it's going to be equally as crazy. And we need to have the 24 past meetings because it spans the five years and we need look in the future until we know, until we reach at least the summit. So I don't know.



---

Might I suggest we continue this later? Because, okay, it's fine, but maybe you can attempt to sort of because I'm – choose the word, crap, crap is the word. I'm crap at drawing. So if you could please. I was going to use another for that word, but this one. And if you could please help on this one and try produce a timeline, that would be great. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

We are losing all of the audience. We may just let the interpreters go and adjourn the meeting. I think there's enough people around who care and we can come to some closer on it. I do think we have a problem that this document has been floating around for such a long time, and we're having this discussion today, but that, perhaps, is a different issue. Thank you. The meeting is adjourned for today. Thank you very much to the technical staff, to our interpreters, to our ICANN staff.

Enjoy whatever you're doing tonight. Olivier, do you have any comments on what people might want to do tonight?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

I think you got it in your email, but there is a global equal multi-stakeholder band that is lining up tonight. Same sort of thing as what they did in Dublin and in London at the ATLAS II. So they're putting their, I've just been over to the place, they've got all the

---

instruments delivered. It's at the Asian Bay Restaurant. Food, drinks until late.

ALAN GREENBERG: Inside this –

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's after China night because it starts at 8:30. I think China night finishes at about 9:00 or something. And we timed it and said, "We need to warm it up at 8:30 and then we're sure that we'll have a lot of people coming from China night."

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**