
HELSINKI – At-Large and Regional Leadership Meeting
Tuesday, June 28, 2016 – 13:30 to 15:00 EEST
ICANN56 | Helsinki, Finland

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Ladies and gentlemen, we're waiting for someone from AFRALO. We need to have at least one person from each RALO leadership, so as soon as they come in, we can start.

Good afternoon, everybody. I hope you've all managed to grab some lunch. Welcome to the At-Large regional leadership meeting. Some people are still having their lunch. We did have a very short break at lunch time, and there were some queues around the convention center to grab sandwiches and so on.

Welcome, everybody, to this afternoon meeting. We have quite a busy agenda. The first thing that we're probably going to do is to quickly go around the table to [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Working? Working?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Back to work. Apologies for this. For those people following us remotely, one of the mics was plugged out, so it was not

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ensorship. It's fine. It's just a technical problem. You don't need to start a revolution or do a Brexit or whatever it is.

Let's get back to our agenda today. Welcome back, everyone. We're going to go around the table to see who is represented at the table. Let's start from my far left. Yes, you're the person. Don't look behind you. Could you please quickly introduce yourself and from what RALO you are from or what organization? Thank you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I'm Daniel Nanghaka from AFRALO.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Humberto Carrasco, LACRALO Chair.

MARITZA AGUERO: Maritza Agüero, LACRALO Secretariat.

MIKHAIL MEDRISH: Mikhail Medrish, EURALO Board member.

MICHEL TCHONANG: Michel Tchonang, member from AFRALO. I come from Africa.

AZIZ HILALI: Aziz Hilali, AFRALO Chair.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Judith Hellerstein, NARALO Secretary.

WOLF LUDWIG: Wolf Ludwig, EURALO Secretariat.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Olivier Crepin-Leblond, EURALO Chair.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco, ICANN staff.

DAN O'NEILL: Dan O'Neill, WBC Global.

ROB HOGGARTH: Rob Hoggarth, ICANN policy staff.

YESIM NAZLAR: Yesim Nazlar, ICANN staff.

ARIEL LIANG: Ariel Liang, ICANN staff.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Maureen Hilyard. I think I'm in the wrong meeting. ALAC.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Siranush Vardanyan, APRALO Chair.

SATISH BABU: Satish Babu, APRALO Vice Chair.

BASTIAAN GOSLINGS: Bastiaan Goslings here on behalf of Internet Society, Netherlands chapter, an At-Large Structure from the EURALO region.

KAILI KAN: Kaili Kan, ALAC.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn McKnight, NARALO Chair.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, everyone. Today, the few rules in the game: usually, if you want to speak, you can put your card up, or if you don't have a card, just wave at me and you'll be put in the queue. We have people also following us remotely, and we have

interpretation, so please say your name before you speak for the transcript and for the interpretation. Don't speak too fast. I have to be reminded of that from time to time. Due to the interpretation, one is able to speak in English, in French, and in Spanish. That's the thing. I don't think I've missed anything.

The first thing we need to do is to approve the agenda today. We will start speaking to Dan O'Neill and to Rob Hoggarth about the document development pilot program. Then we'll be looking at some of the ATLAS II, At-Large Summit II recommendations. After that, we'll look at the multi-year planning of At-Large face-to-face meetings, the Fiscal Year 17 special requests for the regional At-Large organizations, the At-Large review and the impact on the regional At-Large organizations. Hopefully by then, Holly will be able to make it here, and Cheryl Langdon-Orr also should be joining us. We will have any other business, if we still have time, speaking about the metrics. We have to do all of this in – is it 90 minutes? Yeah, 90 minutes, so no pressure.

Is the agenda adopted, or are there any modifications to be done? Seeing no hands being put up and nobody objecting, the agenda is adopted. We have regional representation from all of the RALOs present in the room. We can swiftly move on to number two, the document development pilot program with Dan O'Neill and with Rob Hoggarth.

I invite you to have a look at the ATLAS II recommendation number 30. The ATLAS was the At-Large Summit. I know that many of you here did not attend the At-Large Summit, since you are more recently accredited At-Large Structures, but this was a meeting that took place in London. I would say it's two years ago already, two years ago where all of the At-Large Structures met face-to-face. They worked an enormous amount to come up with a set of recommendations to be implemented, not only by the Board, but also by the At-Large community, by the different regional At-Large organizations.

One of these recommendations is number 30. We will be speaking about some of the other recommendations afterwards. Once the document was produced, passed on to the Board after full ratification by the ALAC, the community continued its work with an implementation taskforce and sent these recommendations to the various At-Large working groups to further the implementation to try and see what we make of them.

This one that we have in front of us mentioned the following thing. It says, “For each public comment process, SOs and ACs” – which by now you would have hopefully understood to be supporting organizations and advisory committees – “should be adequately resourced to produce impact statements.”

That’s one of the problems of our community. There’s a whole amount of notes underneath that. One of the problems is the fact that a lot of ICANN work is filled with acronyms, might not be seen as something that really relates to end users, and is quite complex, as well.

Impact statements. How does it impact on our users? And explanatory notes as to why we should care about this are something that was found to be really needed. Thankfully, ICANN have listened to us. We were quite shocked, I would say, to hear from Rob Hoggarth, who is the Senior Director for Policy and Community Engagement, that something was in the works in his department to be able to perhaps go some step along the way to help our community in being able to understand those issues.

Without any further ado, I’ll hand you over to Rob Hoggarth.

ROB HOGGARTH:

Thank you very much, Olivier. Good afternoon, everyone. Very good to see everyone again. The last time that a number of us got together, I think it was a smaller group. We spoke in Marrakech. The purpose of the conversation was to share with you some advancements, as Olivier mentioned, that we had been able to make with respect to recommendation 30, although it was introduced in a different context.

It was a conversation about producing a capability on a pilot basis of being able to assist members of the ICANN community, different community groups, in being able to prepare comments or statements, primarily in the context of the public comment arena, but potentially in other ways, as well. We spent a good period of time with a number of the leaders and the secretariats at a special meeting in Marrakech, exploring with you some of your insights, perspectives, backgrounds as to what types of resources would be of value to you in the production of documentation.

We took some of the information that we got from you and from others, basically went back to the drawing board and are reporting to you our progress today, including I think some news that will be welcome in terms of the initiation of this effort.

Essentially, we've proceeded in two channels of work. One channel of work, which is to focus primarily on developing this concept of issue primers, issue introductions if you will, to enable all of you, as regional At-Large Structures, to be able to explain to members of your community the importance of a particular public comment effort, be able to potentially use that documentation for recruiting purposes, for educational purposes, and for research purposes.

There's a second channel of the pilot program which features more direct facilitation from identified individuals who would be directly connected with a community that was interested in working together to develop responses to certain public comment proceedings.

The overall theme that I heard from you all in the Marrakech discussions were you wanted to focus primarily on the research and information side first. The facilitation side is great, but it requires a certain infrastructure on the community's part, and with the emphasis that you all had on outreach, bringing new participants into the process, it was probably better to focus on the documentation side. Dan and I are going to spend the bulk of the time today talking about that piece of the program.

Essentially, what we've worked through in planning with Dan is to set aside 20 public comment opportunities over the course of the next many months in collaboration with all of you to find out which are the most important proceedings to focus on and begin over the course of these 20 opportunities to develop a template, a template that you can use that provides what you need for research, development, and outreach within your communities.

We're starting out with the concept of one size fits all. That may end up not proving to be successful, but we need to start somewhere. As Olivier regularly comments to me when the topic

of a pilot comes up, it's an opportunity to experiment, to be educated, to learn, to fail fast, and then be able to improve things.

I'm going to turn over the microphone to Dan to explain a little bit about the planning process that he's engaged in, the outreach that he's done to identify individuals who are educated about ICANN, who can work with ICANN staff as well as with members of your community to start drafting these types of documents, to get your feedback, to adjust them, fine tune them, blow them up and start over, but over the course of 20 or so proceedings, to be able to ultimately focus and provide you with something that will be of value and achieve many of your goals.

With that overall introduction, I'll turn things over to Dan O'Neill and let him describe in a little bit more detail the work he's done and the next steps that we're going to be engaging in, in cooperation with all of you. Dan may talk a little bit about how he'll collaborate with us on staff, including members of the At-Large support team. We'll just then entertain any questions or any feedback from all of you. Dan, please proceed. Thanks.

DAN O'NEILL:

Thank you very much, Rob, and thank you to all of you for giving me the opportunity to spend a few minutes introducing the

document development and drafting pilot program that we have been working on, as Rob said, very much in response to the input from the community that this was an area that the communities were looking for assistance. ICANN staff heard that message, and we have been working diligently over the last many months to develop a program that we think is going to be responsive to your needs and the needs of other communities to assist in the development of your interaction with drafting comments for ICANN procedures.

At this point, I would like to identify that I do have one of the people involved in the program, Emily Taylor, who is actually going to be doing some of the writing of these primers that Rob described. She is actually online with us, so when we get to the question and answer period, I would also welcome any interaction that you would have with Emily. We have already had an opportunity with the ALAC support staff with ICANN to have some discussion, so there's been an introduction and exchange of ideas, as well as an understanding of the program.

Just to back up and give a bit of context for the program, as Rob said, it will involve two pillars, which is the primer activity, which will be the production of 20 primer documents focused on requests for comments issued by ICANN. We very much welcome your input in helping us develop exactly which 20 those are. We are working currently with ICANN staff again to ensure that the

online list of upcoming opportunities is up to date. We will be circulating that out and trying to understand from all of you exactly what your priorities are because we do wish to identify amongst those 20 the key opportunities that are of greatest interest to all of the communities.

That's where we would like to start with this interaction. Beyond that, once we identify that, we will certainly be working with all of the communities to circulate out exactly which ones we have started on. The more input that we can get from each of your communities, I think the more valuable it will be in the document that we're able to produce.

Again, what we are looking to do is be able to help you utilize this document however it best suits you to give you a better understanding of what that opportunity is, what that means, being able to share that out with your communities in any way that is most useful to you. At the end of the day, what we are looking for is greater engagement in the ICANN process with a better understanding of those opportunities amongst all of your communities, a heightened level of interest and willingness to engage more in that entire process.

As Rob said, we have identified 20. We would love to have that first one be perfect. Again, it is a pilot. I think we understand well that we are going to develop this as we go along. It's really a

pilot on both sides in that you as communities have not engaged in this process, so it is going to be new on your side. It's also going to be new on our side, but I can assure you that Emily and others that I've brought along have been involved in these kind of pilots before in the Internet governance space. There's a willingness and understanding that we want to be flexible. We want to understand. As Rob says, fail fast, understand what went wrong, and pick up the pieces and go from there.

What we're really looking to do over these first five primers is develop something that can be very, very useful, understand what is most useful to have included there, what is not, understand that. As Rob said, we're looking at something right now where the analysis is going to be very broad-based. Your community will be one of many that are going to receive this same document. It's going to go out to all of the stakeholder communities. Whether the analysis and the impact statements that we focus on are able to cover all of those communities, that is something that the pilot is going to test. If we find that it's not, then we'll change course and see how best to proceed.

I do want to emphasize that we've spoken with your support team. We are ready to be engaged at all levels of this process. The more input that you can provide for us, the more feedback that you can provide for us throughout this process, I think the

better the outcome is going to be, the more valuable the outcome is going to be at the end of this process for all of us.

With that, I think I will stop. Again, I do have Emily Taylor, who is one of our writers for these primers, on the line so that if there are specific questions that you might have for Emily, please feel free to direct it towards Emily. Other than that, I think Rob and I are available to discuss any points in the program that you might have questions on.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this introduction. It sounds like a pretty interesting resource. I note that Emily is indeed online. I don't know whether she has the ability to speak. She has been called, as well.

EMILY TAYLOR: Hi, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, you are there. Excellent.

EMILY TAYLOR: Hi.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: We can hear you.

EMILY TAYLOR:

I just wanted to confirm that I am on the line. I'm ready to work with you all. I'm looking forward to the pilot. Just to emphasize some of the points that have been made by Rob and also by Dan, this is an experiment and it will be all the better to have full engagement and input from the community, which I'm really looking forward to being part of. I note that there are a couple of questions and recommendations that have come up from the chat room, that I could just kick off with, I think both from Glenn McKnight.

It says, "Very helpful." Pointed to some resources and good practices from [Aaron]. Thank you for that. I will definitely check that out with Dan, and also a question. "What are the 20 policy primer documents?"

I think that this is one of the works in progress. One of the early tasks will be to identify with the community suitable projects to experiment on and to produce these template documents. The early stage of that is to coordinate with ICANN staff, to make sure that the list of upcoming public comments is actually accurate and up to date and then to identify suitable projects to work on.

“How does it work and what are the steps?” asks Satish Babu from the list. I think we’re all going to find that out, learning by doing, but the first thing to do is to identify at least five initial projects to kick off from. My personal input in choosing these would be to try to find ones that have a range of different audiences or different types so that we can really flex the model and see whether it’s actually proving useful. We can also see whether this project of working as a one size fits all really is the way to go or whether we need to adapt.

With that, I will just conclude these early remarks. I look forward to your questions and comments. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Emily. Rob Hoggarth, did you wish to respond directly to this, or shall we start with the questions?

ROB HOGGARTH: Let’s go in the queue.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: We’ll go in the queue. Let’s start with Glenn McKnight, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you so much. This is a great concept, and the devil is in the details, so can you guys elaborate? How did you select

the five to start with, and what are the five? I guess it's a question of expectations. What do you expect out of this? I assume it's a one-year pilot for a timeline. What are your expectations?

ROB HOGGARTH:

Thank you. You anticipated some of the statements that I wanted to make, Glenn, so we've coordinated very effectively. The first five have not been chosen yet. Essentially, Emily and Dan's focus here is to work with all of you and with us on the staff to begin to identify what the numbers would look like. We're governed pretty much in the mold that we have to rely on public comments that are coming out from ICANN. We can't make up proceedings. That is one of the limitations on this work. We're very interested in input from all of you, and a number of you did work with Silvia to produce questionnaires and answers to those that flagged for the list of public comment opportunities at the time ones that you were interested in.

What's great about working with you from the regional At-Large organization perspective is that members of your communities come from all walks of life within the multistakeholder community. One of the values of having you a part of this pilot program is that you will reinforce, I hope, some of the desires of other communities within ICANN who happen to members of

your regional organizations or folks that you want to reach out to.

We're first somewhat governed within this funnel, Glenn, of the universe of ICANN public comment opportunities. Then it's a matter of saying, "NARALO checked these two boxes. LACRALO checked those three boxes. AFRALO checked those five boxes, and if we're in luck, there's overlap of some of those."

Again, this is a pilot program, and Dan and I have had long conversations about this. The interest is in testing a number of different options. There may be a couple of these that come out that only impact a small percentage of people within your particular region. There may be others that only the registries or registrars are interested in. It will really depend upon what comes out.

One of the very critical aspects of this program – and this would be our ask from all of you – is please identify at least one person from your regional At-Large organization who is willing to own this concept within your own community because working with Silvia and Ariel, our hope is that with Silvia's leadership, we'll be able to have regular calls. When I say we, I mean Dan and Emily and their colleagues, to get feedback from you, to have conversations about these types of activities. The pilot will have much more benefit if we have your input, and your regular input.

This is not going to be something where we just come back and report to you at every ICANN meeting. The hope is that you'll have monthly conversations.

The specific ask we made of Dan and Emily was, "Give us some suggestions for what those first five might be." That will largely, again, be driven by timing. What's coming out in the next three months? We don't want to wait to start this until December, so they're going to pick from some limited options.

I would ask that even if a particular topic isn't of great interest to any of you individually, that you still be willing to participate in the conversations because we're also looking at what these documents, or what I say to Dan, documentation looks like. Is it a one- to three-page document, which is our goal, that touches on every specific potential community? If so, do we have just one-paragraph impact statement, or do we have a three-paragraph impact statement? What works best?

As Glenn noted, the devil truly is in the details. The ultimate goal, to answer your question directly, Glenn, is at the end of this process, we have a template that everybody is very comfortable with and a process that on the day a public comment comes out, you also have to accompany it a plainly written document in one of the six UN languages that you can immediately take and ship off with whatever bow and pretty wrapping paper you have to

those groups that you're looking to reach out to or to people in your community who will help determine what statement you want to write.

At worst, you'll have a more educated group of members who will be able to contribute to the ALAC statement writing process. At best, you may develop a set of expertise within your regional At-Large organization where you can have more detailed discussions within your community. The excitement about this project is we don't know what it will look like. That's also the scary part about it.

Now in terms of timing, Glenn, you said, "Is it about a year?" It really is going to be until we burn out the 20. I don't anticipate more than one or two in the first couple of months because Emily and Dan really have to begin to think about, "How do we set up all the stages of the process?" There will be much more interaction with you all. You're going to say, "I don't like that format at all, but I like this small impact." You're going to be part of a team of other communities who are also interested in this. I hope over time, we'll be able to develop something. I'm very optimistic about it, but many of you know I'm more of a glass half full person.

In terms of selecting, Dan and Emily will share with us their recommendations. We will then share those recommendations

with your designated reps, and we'll come to some understanding about what to pick. What I would just ask for is patience. We're going to have 20 of these. We'll learn over time. Please help us fail fast and succeed long-term. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Rob. One question I had when you mentioned the dedicated reps, you mentioned monthly calls with them or a mailing list with them and you on there? How do you want to formalize this?

ROB HOGGARTH: We are open to your suggestions because Dan, Emily, and their colleagues will set that up in partnership primarily with Silvia. In fairness to the other communities, we really view your group as the key parts of the experimentation here because of the breadth of your leadership, because of the breadth of the communities that you're engaged with. I think we're interested, particularly because you'll be the largest number as well, in getting that feedback.

For many years, you've demonstrated great organizational ability as a community that others don't really have, in other words, to be able to quickly bring groups together, set up schedules, get committed volunteers. If we can get that baseline

established and then invite others to join that, I think we'll be in very good shape. That's the plan. It will be in partnership with Silvia, Heidi, and the rest of your group in terms of setting that up.

Another person who has an important role in this is Ariel in that she's also going to be working with Dan and Emily on more of the drafting side because she's much more familiar with the statements that you all generate, with some of the background information that you may need to assist in educating people about that. We're really excited about having their participation in this effort, as well. I don't know if there's anything you'd like to add, Dan.

DAN O'NEILL:

Again, Rob, I just want to touch back with Glenn's comment, if I could for just a minute. Two aspects that I wanted to touch on that we saw as critical as well in terms of being able to do the kind of outreach and to touch the different communities as much as we can are both the timing as well as the translation of the update documents.

First of all, what we would like to do. Our target is to have these primers produced and distributed on the day in which those requests for comments go out to the community. The notion there is that with the usual timing of 40 days for an ICANN

request for comment response period, as soon as you start eating into that 40 days, it becomes very challenging. The idea is to be able to have this document as Rob described it, something that we see is going to be much easier to read than some of the background material, very useful, talking about impact of the particular opportunity.

The second would be the translation service. What we wanted to do, initially we had talked about with the pilot, launching this in English only. In conversations with Silvia, Ariel, Heidi, and others, it became very clear to us that as we talk about the RALOs and your engagement in this process, the ability to at least be able to get this out in English, French, and Spanish at the start would be very valuable. What we have taken on as just another management challenge is we would like to be able to, on that day in which the public comment is released, be able to get this document out to you in English, Spanish, and French. Again, looking to be able to reach into your communities as deeply and quickly as we can to give you the understanding and the value of the document. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Satish Babu?

SATISH BABU: Just a clarification or a couple of clarifications. One is presumably this will be taken in five different groups because we are five RALOs and we speak different languages. I just want to check if it's going to be done in one group or in five separate groups.

The second is what kind of preparation do you expect us to start with? When the pilot starts, what do you expect us to do? There's a rep, of course, but what else? Are there any other expectations that you have from these reps or from the RALOs? Thank you.

ROB HOGGARTH: I'll take the first, Dan will take the second, and then we'll clarify each other if we're not comfortable with either of our answers.

In terms of one group or five, the pilot is being set up where they are writing one document. It's not going to be a separate one for each RALO and then separate ones for the others. The initial goal is one document that is released when the public comment period comes out. That's the focus.

What we hope to have, though, is feedback from all of you, and direct feedback on whether it works just for your specific community. It would be great if you think much more broadly about how it might help people in other regions of the world, but we're much more interested in the expertise from your group.

The expectation there would be a draft gets generated and it gets circulated to you because right now, the goal isn't we're picking this public comment period and we're going to hit the mark exactly. The first couple might not hit the timing at all, but the value of the learning is going to be the format and the content. According to your rep – and we have your rep will work with your leadership, as well – does it have the segments that are needed? Does it have an executive summary? Does it need one? Does it have a module on businesses or registries or civil society? What does it say, and how in-depth does it go?

The hope is to get that feedback very directly and very candidly. You all never have had a problem with me on that, and I'm hopeful and I've told Dan and Emily they should expect the same. It works or it doesn't. "This one didn't work. Let's try again." We're going to give a good shot to each one that comes out.

I hope that answered that one of your questions. Did you want to talk about more collaboration?

DAN O'NEILL:

Sure. In terms of your second question, in terms of the ask from us to you, again, our initial challenge is going to be identifying and choosing what these initial three, four, five opportunities are going to be. Again, what we had done initially and some of

the communities had responded back was to ask if you could help us prioritize these opportunities. Again, I'm working with Carlos and others on the policy team to update that document and understand exactly what opportunities we have over the next two to three months to circulate that back so that we can get that feedback back from all of your communities again so that we have a very clear understanding of what those priorities are and which ones we want to focus on.

Once we identify what those are, I think that's where the collaboration really starts. Working with staff, obviously we were going to get these opportunities. This is where we are going to start developing a mechanism to encourage that input back from your communities into the drafting process initially, being able to share that draft out, work through questions that you have, issues that you have with format, content, everything else so that we're developing something that is very useful.

Again, the ask would be your continued engagement here. We're going to try to put those mechanisms in place to allow that to happen, whether that be a monthly call or outreach through e-mail or other vehicles to communicate and get that feedback. That's the most important at this point.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Silvia Vivanco?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Olivier. Just to summarize and to organize ourselves, I think a proposal, an idea for all the RALO leaders, if you wish to consider perhaps to designate one or two persons per RALO to work with us, with staff, with me and Ariel and to work with Dan and Rob on the details so we can start organizing conference calls, looking at the primer, brainstorming ideas and kick off the project. My suggestion would be to have one or two persons per RALO, and then those designated representatives can go back to their RALOs and start the conversation. That's the way I think that we can kick off the project. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Silvia. Any thoughts? Glenn McKnight?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: NARALO has a newsletter, and I was just chatting with Judith because we're the only two people here from NARALO. We can't really speak for the rest. We have a meeting this week. We'll ask our community, and we'll send out to the newsletter a request for people to participate. One or two is reasonable from each organization, but what would be helpful is an infographic of some kind showing the flowchart on what the expectations are.

I've just done a cut-and-paste from the description. The expectation is once a month calls. What other expectations? I want to make sure it's very clear. I don't want somebody to sign up saying, "All it is is once a month call, one hour a month. That's it." Are there more expectations from the process?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Glenn. Rob Hoggarth?

ROB HOGGARTH: Thank you. I don't think you should look at this as a monthly or a weekly exercise. Again, this will be part of the pilot. The input that goes into the fifth one will be different from the input that goes into the first one. We'll get advice from Dan and Emily on this. I think you should be looking at different stages of the writing of each of the documents. In other words, you might say, "We're going to produce an outline. We'll want to have a call after the outline. Then we'll do a draft, and we'll just expect e-mail edits back." Approach it from that perspective, as opposed to, "We're meeting every third Tuesday." I don't think that's the right approach for this specific effort. It's much more project-driven, not, "This is going to be an ongoing now new obligation that we have as the community." It is a pilot and it's a much more limited duration.

The only other thing I'd like to throw into that is – this would be very helpful to have from all of you – these documents are ultimately going to be translated into at least the six UN languages. You may individually, within your own region, say, “Yeah, we’re going to have to, on the side, translate it into another language or so,” but I think as part of the drafting process, it would be interesting – maybe not on the first one or two, Dan – but to generate some of the drafts in the languages in which they’re ultimately going to be produced so that we’re not just translating the final version, but that you have input at every stage of the process in other languages.

Just something to think about, but again, this is not a time effort. It’s much more project-driven. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this, Rob. I think we need to move on. I was going to just add more thing to this. Did you wish to respond quickly, Glenn McKnight?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I do understand it’s a project-based and results-based approach to this, but asking for volunteer, I need to have some kind of concept. What are they obligated to do? How much time commitment? These are busy people, and I don’t want to suck

them into something thinking that the impression, it's just a monthly thing. You're saying you can't really put a time to it. It's a project-based approach. It may take longer. It may take shorter. It's a process more than anything else.

ROB HOGGARTH:

That's correct. I think what we'll look for is feedback from Dan and Emily, new assignment. He was taking notes here to look at what that process might look like because you're right, Glenn. It's not realistic to ask somebody, particularly when right now, we don't know. Then again, there are folks in your communities who have talked about this before, who've expressed interest. You may have people who are really good writers or folks who have a particular interest in a particular area. You might have a different person for a different topic. I don't know.

I think what Silvia's point was, though, please, just as a start, maybe it's you. Then you turn it over, delegate it at a certain point in time. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Emily Taylor?

EMILY TAYLOR:

Thank you very much. Thanks, Glenn, for that question. It really raises a very practical issue about how you call on members of your communities to volunteer for something that is experimental and could be open-ended.

I do also see as part of the pilot, is for us jointly to understand the inputs that are needed and the rate of work that's really required with us and the community working together for it to be a success. I would imagine that a starting point would be to have quite a lot of e-mail exchanges on the mailing list, supplemented with regular calls. I think that Rob has been very realistic in outlining the experimental nature. It will probably take a while to crank up. Probably the first couple of attempts might well highlight areas that we can improve on.

I know this doesn't really help in getting a crisp call to action from your own communities. I think that Rob's suggestion is very helpful, that perhaps a way to start might be to add an extra burden to those who are already highly, highly committed to the At-Large process and ask for their help. Then once we all understand it, once it's part of the template – we're all seeking to get a templated approach, and part of that template will be understanding the expectations of community involvement.

Sorry not to be able to be a bit crisper or more precise, but it was really to back up that statement. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Emily. We do have to move on, but I was going to close this off with an action item on all the RALOs. I don't know who's taking the action items, but I will say it exactly as it should be recorded. All the RALOs to provide the details of one or two representatives to take part in this project.

I was going to add one more thing that's not an action item, but perhaps it would be. The next face-to-face meeting of the regional leaderships is going to be in Hyderabad. That's in November. It's quite a few months away. I would suggest perhaps to Siranush that we might wish to have more than just one call in between now and Hyderabad, maybe a monthly call of the regional leaders or every six or seven weeks or something, so that we could also keep track of this and not only have this small group of people working with you but also all of the regional leaders being able to be coordinated with this. Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Noted. I think that this is a good situation. Just related to the last action item, Satish volunteered to be a member of this group from APRALO. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Siranush. That’s what I love about Asia. They have answers before you ask the question. It’s so quick like this. Europe, come on. Catch up.

You do have this advantage. You’re further east, so you’re always ahead of us. That’s what it is.

Let’s move on, then. Thanks very much.

[SIRANUSH VARDANYAN]: Actually, this is the only opportunity to see these people in person.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Just last words from Dan.

DAN O’NEILL: I would like to add we have had the opportunity to have Emily Taylor on the phone, who is actually one of those that is going to be working on producing the primer document. I just wanted to identify a second individual who we’ve had the opportunity to speak with, have an onboarding call with. That is Samantha Dickinson, who has also done some work on other ICANN projects. Samantha has also agreed to help us with the writing of these primer documents. I feel very, very strongly about the

team that we've put together and the ability to deliver a very useful product to you and your colleagues.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's great. Thank you very much, Dan. It's good to hear some names that we actually know and who have been following this community for a long time. Thanks to Dan O'Neill and to Rob Hoggarth.

We have to move swiftly on with more At-Large Summit recommendations. The review of ATLAS II, I've already given the introduction. We can move straight to recommendation number 28, but there is one more thing I do need to tell you about, which is the follow up that Ariel and Heidi and I have been dealing with, which is nearing the completion of those recommendations. We have to have a final report at some point. It's been two years since they've been recommended.

There's been a lot of work done by the community. There's even more work done, and we're starting to close some of these off. Many of them are still in progress, but slowly, we're reaching the point when we can then say, "What has been done? It's enough. Is it something that's been passed on, that's been responded to, that has been implemented indeed?" and then see if there are any next steps.

I don't know how you wish to do this, Ariel, because I know that you have the control of all the electronics and all this thing. You're the number two in line, then, for this, but let's ask Ariel first. How do you wish to do this?

ARIEL LIANG:

I think probably we shouldn't spoil the report for now. I actually put the text for the implementation details and next step to each of the recommendations in the Wiki, so let's just take a look at the Wiki page and the summary box with the text.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Fantastic. Thank you, Ariel. Recommendation 28 has indeed the summary. The recommendation itself asks that “the ALAC should work with all RALOs and At-Large Structures to map the current expertise and interests in their membership, to identify its subject matter experts and facilitate policy communication.” You've all heard that before, haven't you? It's become a weekly mantra.

The Implementation Details, as you can see on the screen and that you can also click on from the agenda, says that “in the fall 2015, each RALO created, distributed, and analyzed a general survey to understand the subject matter expertise and interests

of At-Large Structures. The response rate is inconsistent across RALOs.

“At present, a centralized ALS information database is being constructed and every ALS will be contacted to check the accuracy OF their contact, communication, and membership information. As part of this effort, ALS expertise and interest will be included in the database, and ALSEs will be asked to provide that information.”

As Next Steps, there’s just a single line. “At-Large community leaders will work with ICANN staff to develop a specific question” – questionnaire perhaps would be the right thing because we’re not going to ask just one question – “a specific questionnaire regarding ALS expertise and interest to ask each ALS; information gathered will be included in the ALS database.” I’m sorry. My eyes are slowly going to go after a long day like this.

Are there any comments about this? Humberto Carrasco, you’re about to bring your flag up. You have the floor. I’m going to have to put my headphones on.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Thank you very much. I’m going to talk in Spanish. I’d like to tell you a brief story about this point because, although we did the

first part of the survey, we realized that it might be possible to move forward and get some additional information about all the members of the ALSes. For several reasons, between Marrakech and today, I haven't been able to participate in the leaders' meeting.

I have been able to talk to [Siranush]. I had committed to her to do this, but I have tried to develop a draft survey because, as you know, we asked the staff whether there was expert staff that could help us to create a more professional survey as this. They said there wasn't. I took up the challenge of drafting a more professional survey. Being a good researcher, I actually reviewed several documents in order to create a survey which was more accurate.

This has taken more time than I thought it would take me, but I believe that in the next two or three weeks, I might be able to submit a draft survey. I will send it to Siranush so that we can circulate it later on and move forward in this area. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: [Thank you very much], Humberto. That's really great news, which therefore means we can move on to the next recommendation. This is firmly in progress. Of course, we're not going to provide a final report at this meeting. The aim is to

make enough progress to have a final report of our recommendations by Hyderabad, but if in the next three weeks, we can move on this, that would be very welcome.

The next recommendation is number 42, I believe. This one is as follows. “ICANN should enable annual face-to-face RALO assemblies, either at ICANN regional offices or in concert with regional events.”

I’m not going to read through the full Implementation Details because I think that you all know what the answer is on this one. Effectively, what it speaks about is the multi-year proposal for general assemblies and for At-Large Summits. That, as you know or might not know, has been now agreed in principle by the Board for it to go into the overall ICANN budget, so we’ve made good progress on this. The finance department has adopted the recommendation.

The Next Step is for “the ALAC Chair, the ALAC subcommittee on finance and budget, and the ALAC selected ICANN Board director to maintain a watching brief on the integration of the At-Large multi-year schedule of general assemblies and summits into ICANN’s five year operating plan.” That’s the next steps with this.

I don’t really think we can ask for more than this. We’ve presented it, and it’s been agreed. That looks like we’re set to actually be able to have those regular general assemblies and

regular At-Large summits, which means we can move to the next one, recommendation number 43.

I hadn't seen. Sorry. Yes, Ron da Silva?

RON DA SILVA:

Thank you. Just thought I'd comment since Rinalia's not here. She's certainly been advocating for these and communicating with the rest of the Board that that's the plan and integrating that into the five-year plan and the budgeting and everything else. Just wanted to put in a kudos to her since she's not here to do so herself.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Ron. It's great that now when we have a Board member missing, they send someone else, as well. That's really good to see you here, so thank you.

Next recommendation is...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: What other end? That's because you're not putting your flag up. I thought you were just waving your hand around.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I can give you my glasses if you want.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: No, that's fine. Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: You skipped 31?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, I will go back to 31, sorry. It's just that I think I opened one window after another and I missed that one. It's a good point. Let's go to recommendation 31, where Glenn McKnight is going to provide us with an update after I read the recommendation, which is that "ICANN and the ALAC should investigate the use of simple tools and methods to facilitate participation in public comments and the use of crowdsourcing." Glenn McKnight?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: This has not only fallen on myself, but it actually went back to the TTF, so Dev and I will talk about two products: eXo, and in our next TTF meeting, we're actually going to be demonstrating a product that's being used by NCUC. Dev, did you want to talk about the two?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just as an acronym, the acronym police would call it the Technology Taskforce.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Yes, the Technology Taskforce has been looking at this recommendation. We have three possible tools in play, actually, and we'll be discussing it fully at our Thursday 8:00 AM session.

Briefly, the eXo platform has possible potential for solving the recommendation 26, which is the policy management process system, in terms of being able to track a person's comments. They appear in an activity stream. You can then search by those streams and even create spaces for likeminded persons to then be grouped together and then start commenting on things. That's one thing. We'll be discussing with ICANN's IT staff as to how we can best test this tool.

The second tool was something similar to a product that we identified, LiquidFeedback, something called Kialo. Jimmy Schulz knows the developer of that product, and he will be arranging to have that person on our next Technology Taskforce call after Helsinki.

The third one was ... Oh, dear. Now my mind's gone blank.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: The early afternoon blank, which affects us all after lunch.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That's what happens with no lunch and no coffee.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Was it SLACK?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. I'm going back to group chat applications. Thanks for that trigger. It was a group chat application, such as SLACK, and NCUC is using a trial chat application similar to that. They will be demoing it on the Tuesday session. Thanks.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev Anand Teelucksingh. It certainly is one of these recommendations where an enormous amount of work has taken place, so we're very thankful that the Technology Taskforce has taken this not with just one hand, but with both hands, their teeth, and everything else. The weekly calls have been very productive. This whole technology thing is particularly important because of the fact that we are so distributed around the world. In some parts of the world, it might be difficult to use some of these tools, so being able to

actually do hands-on testing. I know that it's a vibrant working group. It's really good to have that.

Seeing no other hands around the table, let's go on then to recommendation number 42. That's not right. Number 43. There we are. "RALOs should encourage their inactive ALS representatives to comply with ALAC minimum participation requirements."

Earlier this week, there was a discussion – I think it was yesterday. Yes, it was yesterday – on ALS engagement and metrics, since that is a component part of the overall discussion. The North American At-Large Organization, so NARALO and APRALO, have both made great efforts in contacting inactive At-Large Structures and informing them of minimal participation requirements. I don't know what it is like with the other RALOs, but it's certainly something that we can't say is just an ALAC thing. This is our own ALS representatives that have been asking for this because obviously they're the ones spending the time in the rooms and thinking, "Why should we drag along all of the ones that are not doing this?"

Maybe Siranush Vardanyan can provide us with some thoughts on this, and Judith afterwards, yes. Siranush Vardanyan?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Actually, I would like to tell you about one initiative which APRALO decided to start, and we're already in the process of discussion among leadership team. This is APRALO mentoring project, which we have an intention to put as part of our strategy for Fiscal Year 17. We intend to start the actual process from Hyderabad until Copenhagen to develop the capacity of the next generation for APRALO. That's some kind of [the stuff].

We already put this idea into our mailing list, and we already have nine or ten people express their willingness to be a mentee in this process. We will be doing pre- and post-survey among those people to find out more about their interest to match mentees and mentors among APRALO leadership team, as well. I hope that this will be a very good process for ourselves, as well, to learn and encourage ALSes to become more active in policy discussions, in discussions of any type within the RALO, as well. That's just as an update from our part on this.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much for this, Siranush. It's good to see that there's of course not only the threat of minimum participation requirements with the metrics, but there is also this enticing, this pulling forward and saying, "Let us help you be a better participant or a more active participant in this." It's great to see that, and I think we can all learn from this. Judith Hellerstein?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: This is Judith Hellerstein for the record, NARALO Secretary. Glenn and I have done a lot of work on outreach, as you mentioned, in trying to reengage our ALSes. One of the things that we found that we needed to correct as we're doing it is that we found out that according to NARALO's rules and procedures, we don't have any minimum requirements. We're looking at APRALO's and some other ones of modifying our rules and procedures so that we can have some type of minimum requirements, whether it be attendance at a NARALO meeting, participation in the working group, comments. We just want some kind of engagement and have some basic metrics so that if people are not doing that, we would want to get at them possibly. Also looking at having more than one contact person, so maybe two or three because sometimes some people are very busy and they can't get to it. They always intend to, but if you have a second contact or a third, we can get them involved.

We've been doing also, not official mentor programs, but we've been asking at our monthly meetings what different ALSes are up to and figuring out what are their interests and how can we address them. Also, found out a lot of them are not very knowledgeable about what the RALO is doing and what ICANN is offering. We're also putting together a series of discussions with members on what are the different tools that are out there. Last

year, for our recent elections, we did a get to know your candidates. We rolled out to the different ALSes, saying, “Please send us your questions, either advance or afterwards,” and trying to get them to come to the get to know your candidates. It’s our effort to reach out to different groups within our area.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Judith. I note that in EURALO, we had a general assembly earlier. We touched on this, as well. Maritza Aguero? Then did you wish to speak as well, Aziz? Then we’ll close the queue after Aziz because we really need to move on with this. Maritza?

MARITZA AGUERO: Thank you very much. I’m going to speak in Spanish, so please, your headphones.

As regards recommendation 43, we have a document. The corresponding working group has a draft project to implement a series of metrics. That document, due to the [inaudible] situation through which LACRALO is going through, is still in standby mode. Latest draft dates back to the beginning of the first quarter this year. This was reported to the RALO secretariat mailing list in May 16. We trust that very soon, we will be able to go back to this issue and continue with the proposal that was

initially submitted so as to provide our feedback and move forward. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maritza. Aziz Hilali?

AZIZ HILALI:

Thank you, Olivier. I'm going to speak in French. I just wanted to add a comment. It's very good to work on capacity building for ALSes. It's very good, but we need to think a little bit to go farther at the local level. We need to work with young people, with students. I want to remind you the experience we made in Marrakech in which we were during the ICANN meeting with students. Also, after the capacity building we made with these students in Marrakech at the university level that was near the meeting venue in Marrakech, afterward, we have received around 100 applications for our ALSes because after this meeting, they were really interested. They wanted to know more about ICANN, about Internet at the local level. That is very positive.

I also wanted to say that at the AFRALO level, we have realized some webinars on the IANA transition and we are also trying to recreate the working group on the new rules of AFRALO. I'm finished.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Aziz. [We'll move] on to the next recommendation. I believe it is number 29. This one says that “the ALAC should implement an automated system for tracking topics of interest currently being discussed among the various RALOs and accessible by everyone.”

Dev had alluded a little bit to some of these tools. I think maybe what you gave as an answer earlier would probably qualify with that, as well. Did you have anything else to add, Dev Anand Teelucksingh?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, not at this moment. Like I said, we'll be discussing with ICANN's IT staff on how to do the testing of these tools. Hopefully, we'll get some answers next month.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. I think we've gone through the recommendations at quite a good pace, but as I said, there is going to be some more work soon with Ariel to finalize some of these over the summer and over the next few months, and of course, with the additional input that will be received from the different working groups.

Have I missed anything? I have missed something.

Correct. The way the process will work is that we'll have a first draft ready at some point. Let's not put a deadline. Let's not do it like everything in ICANN. You put a deadline and then you come back afterwards and say, "We can't hold that deadline." We'll have a first draft ready. That will go back to the ATLAS II recommendation taskforce. They will be able to review it, refine it, change it, and so on. Their aim is to be able to have it before the ALAC itself for, again, ratification, etc., by the Hyderabad meeting, which is in November.

Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. Two comments. I believe that the plan then, after the ALAC looks at it one more time, is that it's then going to go to the Board via perhaps the ALAC speaking to the Board in Hyderabad. Also just to note that when Rinalia speaks to all of us as well as the ALAC on Thursday, that draft report, she's going to be looking at it. You're going to be presenting it, I believe, Olivier, this Thursday. Then just getting some feedback, her initial feedback on the approach to the draft. That's what we discussed earlier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Heidi. I'm glad I got told about it now. Did I get told about it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm reminding you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You're reminding me. Okay. I wasn't even aware of the original request. Fine, your people will get with my people and we'll make things happen. No, that's the wrong place.

Let's go to agenda item 4. We only have 15 minutes. In fact, 11 minutes until the end of this meeting, and we still have 35 minutes' worth of things to go through. That's going to be hard.

The next one is really going to be easy because it's the planning of At-Large face-to-face meetings. That, we've already gone through. As I said, this is the statement which was submitted and which was agreed on by ICANN finance.

We can swiftly move on to number five, the FY17 special requests for RALOs. What do we do as next steps? I'm not quite sure. It does put my name next to it, but I wasn't quite sure whether we would have to actually review what was done or what was granted. I know that there was a meeting of the finance

yesterday, so it sounds to me like we're redoing what we did yesterday. Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you, Olivier. Yes. I think most of us were there yesterday when each of the requests were reviewed. The next step, as set up by [Alan], is that the finance and budget subcommittee will be convening shortly to go over the details of the implementation, including who's going to be [leading] that from the community, as well as any materials that might be needed. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Heidi. It takes me to the agenda item which I've been waiting for. I'm a bit concerned because neither Holly Raiche nor Cheryl Langdon-Orr are here. I've been watching the room ever since being there.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Heidi's going to [get her].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Someone might be following us remotely. Might they be in Aurora next door, thinking that they could just jump in? I do know that Cheryl is following us remotely. She's always follow us

remotely. She's actually following most of the meetings in this building remotely.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Heidi went to get her.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi went to get her. Holly is not online, but that means we've got 15 minutes. In the meantime, what we can do is to go for the any other business discussion so we don't waste any time. Are there any points that anybody would like to bring up or questions, comments, cooking recipes? Judith Hellerstein?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I very much liked the description that Ariel was talking about yesterday about the online databases. I think that's going to be very useful for us, especially as we are trying to do our work in reengaging our ALSes. I look forward to having access to that database and being able to use it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this, Judith. Indeed, another step forward. In the meantime, we've got Ariel Liang first and then we'll go over to Holly Raiche, who has just stepped into the room. Ariel, you have the floor.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, Olivier. Just to respond to Judith, the database, only staff can have admin access at this point, but we will collaborate with RALO leaders to get all the data points accurate and [then] we will have an interim database to share with you. Then we will put that into the online database that we're in process constructing. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Ariel. Now we have Holly Raiche and Cheryl Langdon-Orr joining us to speak to us about the At-Large review and its impact on the RALOs. For those people that were in the room during the EURALO general assembly, we had one of the people from ITEMS, the company that is doing the review. I'm not going to say what Holly and Cheryl have to say, so I think I can pass the floor over to Holly and Cheryl. Holly, you have the floor.

HOLLY RAICHE: Cheryl will follow me, brilliantly.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm not following you.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think all of you have probably followed the progress. We started off several months ago in terms of realizing that the review was scheduled, working with the structural – I’ve forgotten – [inaudible] structural committee.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Structural improvements committee.

HOLLY RAICHE: Structural improvements committee, working with them in terms of finalizing the sorts of qualifications we wanted, the sort of questions we wanted. In terms of getting the information together to select the kind of independent examiner that would actually try to understand what we do. To back up, we’ve had a review of ALAC. It started off in 2008. At the time, the RALOs were barely in existence. ALSes were probably existent, but not within the structure very well. The first and only review of ALAC concentrated just on ALAC. This review – and this review is part of the constant review process that is written into ICANN’s Constitution – will therefore focus very much on RALOs and ALSes and how they actually contribute to the ICANN process.

Where we’re up to now: the independent examiner, based on criteria that is standard to ICANN but also with input from all of you, has been selected. The team is here. There are four people.

There's Tim, Tom, Nick, and Rosa. They've been assigned to various regions. We're all meeting them and talking to them. In fact, in about ten minutes, members of APRALO will be talking to our examiner.

Where we are up to, based on all of the interviews that they will have done with all of you, they will then develop a survey following on the sorts of input that they've had. Based on that survey and on the interviews and discussions they've had, they will then come up with a draft report, which will be given back to the working party, particularly to Cheryl and myself, for input, for comment, for whatever. If my schedule is right, by the end of the year there will be a final report. I have to say, at that time, that's when the fun begins because there will be recommendations. Presumably how to improve, although I recognize none of you think we need improvement, but just in case, how to improve the structures, how to actually make the structures that we have more a part of the achievements of ICANN's mission.

Where we're up to now is really the four team ITEMS are going to be talking to all of us. What they've done is offer various ways of communicating with them. What APRALO has done is say, "We're just going to have" – I was going to say "group think," but that's Orwellian – "We're going to have a group meeting with them, talking through our own vision of our particular RALO and how it

works.” You can do the thinking and the meeting that way. You can do it individually, or you can do both. It will be your call as to how that’s done, but they certainly are looking forward to talking with all of you on input into how you’ve input into the ICANN process, what you think works, and what you think doesn’t work.

I would urge all of you to make whatever effort you can to talk to the team leader that has been assigned to your area, and then when it comes time for the survey, to actually participate in the survey. Then you will be hearing from us again. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Holly. One of the things I wanted to take a couple of minutes today to talk specifically to you as regional leadership is a little bit about what you can expect and what you should plan for for this process. We have Wikis. You know how to use them. We have resource material. You know how to look it up, but what can you expect?

This is very much an opportunity to have an externally managed and unbiased view by people who are looking at us, and in this case, particularly you and your parts of ICANN in context of At-Large – and keep thinking At-Large. It would be nice if we kept saying At-Large more in this next 12 months, as opposed to the RALOs and then have to say this one, this one, this one. Let’s

think from an At-Large and then RALO and, of course, ALAC as well – as a fitness for purpose test. That’s pretty much what’s going to be happening. We will be looked at and an analysis will be made and an outcome will indicate how fit we are as entities for the purpose we are in this organization to do.

If you think about it as organizational RALO or At-Large Structure fitness for purpose, it will help you take a journey that is designed really to improve us all and to find perhaps novel or new ways of doing what we do well even better. If you come into this exercise and treat it as a threat or as critical to your professionalism and skills, it will be a very uncomfortable situation that you’ll be putting yourselves in. I’d like to particularly encourage you because the At-Large Structures will be looking to you for explanation as to why is this happening and what’s going on and does this mean everything’s going to change and does change mean risk. You’re the first point to give a degree of confidence and understanding as to why all of this is a good thing, and it is.

You also should remember to reassure everyone involved, including yourselves from time to time, that as a result of very good, deep thought-out advice on how we might do some things better, achieve our aims more effectively, make a better model for us all to benefit from, it will be up to us to implement. There may very well be then an opportunity for you to increase

engagement in your areas by getting more people that have just had their appetite whetted by doing a survey or being interviewed to get more deeply engaged in your region by getting them on board in parallel implementation.

I'm looking to Dev because he knows how much we all got to get to know each other and how we grew as a broader leadership team, not just the 15-person ALAC, but the 15-person ALAC and the key people in the region when we did the implementation of what the suggestions were as a result of our first review.

Take it as positive. Take it as an opportunity, and take it that you can ask veterans like Olivier and like me at any time to come and talk to your At-Large Structures. The ITEMS people will be there to help and make it as positive and as gentle as possible, but we can also do things to help, as well. You are a partner in this process. Don't be passive. Make it the best you can make it, and you will reward and our organizations will, as well. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Cheryl. That was eloquently said and quite robust, I would say, as well.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Moi?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. Thank you, Holly and Cheryl. [inaudible]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I do apologize. I have to know where my next meeting was going to be, which is starting now. They're all leaving for it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually, the next one is 3:15 is you're looking for the auction proceeds.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: How little you know of my diary. Go on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Your point about how the RALO leadership could communicate with their At-Large Structures, very good point. Do you have any particular suggestions on how best they might wish to do that?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: One of the things I'd like to suggest – Holly, I'll just hold the fort here. You go do the more needful and give my apologies in

advance. I'll get there eventually, or not. The fact that you've all had briefings and have a set of information and knowledge, that now needs to be shared. That needs to be shared in a way that's most effective for your communities. Your communities may benefit more from having a PDF attachment that you can send out off a mailing list. It may benefit by also, or instead of having an active Wiki within your regional space, it could of course benefit by holding a regional webinar.

In the case of some regions, this can be done in different languages and in different time zones. All of those opportunities allow you to build a body of work that when an At-Large Structure or an individual member, which many of our regions have now, and they've just not been available at 13:00 UTC that day, they know that they can pick up that information and pick up, "Why am I getting asked to do more than one type of review survey?" We may end up doing different things at different times.

We also should probably, in my very biased view as someone who's run a few meetings in their time, including some regional ones, have, if not at every meeting, at regular meetings, a fixed agenda item whereby the update on what's happening with the ALAC and At-Large review is looked at.

It may be one of those meetings, it will be a two-minute section, and at other meetings, it will be a ten-minute discussion with pre-provided support information and links that people have had to look at. I'd go for diverse.

I would also suggest that while we go through this process, you will also warn your At-Large Structures, and particularly those that are likely to be engaging with other activities in the Internet ecosystem in their area, that it is quite possible that you will run into some of the review team, the independent examiners, who will be attending a non-ICANN meeting and approaching them in that context for sharing of information and perhaps even follow up on something they may have seen earlier. Forewarned is forearmed. Not everyone can just respond to questions at the drop of a hat, so share information in as many ways as you think is practical. Any other questions?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani Ben Jamaa?

TIJANI BEN JAMAA: Thank you very much, Olivier. Very relevant point, Heidi. I think that this review without the ALSes will not be really a real review of the At-Large. We need this involvement of the ALSes, and it cannot be one size fits all. Each region should have its own way

to do it. It must be for each call a section about it. Second, we have to have something for such as Wiki, as you said. Very good. Also, I would like the team, the four people of the review, to have the contact of our ALSes and to interview them, also. This is the way we will have a real review of the At-Large. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much, Tijani. [inaudible] came over to make the foolish mistake of talking to me while I am concentrating on someone who's speaking to me, so he got the usually polite "Wait," as anyone, including the CEO, would get if they did exactly the same thing. He then got partway through his sentence, which says, "I'd be happy to provide progress updates to At-Large at a -" I believe the rest of it would be regional meeting.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [And on a] regular basis, actually.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And on a regular basis. That's good, but that it's not just a one-way update. It's an opportunity for questions, what's happening next, why is it happening, etc. Yes, one size is not going to fit all, but you certainly need to all make sure you look at what each other's doing and say, "Are the regional leadership team in that

region doing something my region could benefit from?” Cheat sheet off each other and just all make it better.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Tijani, if you could please turn your mic off, as well.

I think that we’ve gone through each way of all of the ALS metrics. What am I saying? Not the metrics. The At-Large review. I was going to say, “We still have one AOB which says metrics on there, and I was just wondering.” It’s not even a five-minute thing because we’ve already done all of our AOB.

I was just going to mention two words on the metrics. How is the ALS metrics working group doing?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Let me take a dollar each way. The term metrics may be interpreted to belong in a number of places these days. If that reference was in fact for the At-Large Structure expectations and criterion, then that is an active group which you have recently seen an update of. There is a lot of opportunity for more input, especially as we move to our next phase of work because we’re starting to put our draft documents. Our draft documents need feedback from you and your regions and your At-Large Structures.

If that is what that refers to, then it's live. It's important that part of our time is spent on that, and it actually dovetails with the review process because criterion expectations is a natural fit when we're looking at something that says how fit for purpose are At-Large Structures. Are we recruiting right, for the right reasons, giving the right information, enabling in the right way? All of those questions will be helped by exploring that work, as well.

If you mean the dim, dark, distance past on the not yet bereaved but still sitting on a life support system metrics working group, when we have far too few committed people volunteering for key roles, a consequence of just human bandwidth is when they are taken elsewhere for more time-critical activities – and apparently there's an IANA transition thing that hopefully by the end of the year something might have happened about – if that happened, then a lot of work that's being done will have been validated, but we simply put that work on the back burner for now. It is absolutely flick a switch and it's ready to go, but ladies and gentlemen, I will not let an opportunity go past for a quick ad while I have the microphone.

It would be marvelous if each of your regions could now look at even that metrics working group and say when that gets turned back on and they call for a refresh of people because many of the people who are currently listed as working group members

are no longer in the roles and positions that they had when they were put on that work in the first place. You can start looking now for enthusiasm, for talent, for skillsets, for people who just want to do something and they're not sure what yet, and get them to join us when we start that up fresh and get that going again.

Anybody who has any concerns or questions about the metrics working group should see Maureen Hilyard or myself.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Cheryl. Tijani, 30 second question or comment.

TIJANI BEN JAMAA: Thank you. Thank you very much, Cheryl. Our RALO has its operating principle and a review. One of the points that are reviewed are the performances and the metrics for performances. Unfortunately, we were supposed to finish it in the end of 2015. You know. We resume now, and by the end of this year, it will be for sure finished. Please don't finish your work before we give you our input because I think that, especially for the performance [and metrics], it must be each region has its own way to do. As you know, the cultural difference, etc. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you for that, Tijani. Just briefly in closing on that, what you said is vital because what the metrics working group has done is said, “Here are some overarching principles and some methodologies we can use. The specifics are, of course, culturally sensitive and going to be best managed within that larger framework by specifics within region.” I’m delighted to hear you’ve made that particular commitment because as I’ve seen now, all but – Has LACRALO finished their review yet? No, they’ve not finished their rules of procedure. No. As I’ve seen NARALO has done theirs. I believe EURALO is or hasn’t yet, is about to. APRALO has done theirs, and now AFRALO is doing theirs. Metrics component has become a new, in some cases, but a very important part of the outcome document, so looking forward to that.

There’s not a hope in Hades that we will be finished before you’re finished. I can assure you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Cheryl. With a big thanks to the interpreters for staying another extra 15 minutes, I’d like to close the meeting. Thank you and goodbye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]