

---

ABU DHABI – Cross Community Committee on Accessibility

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – 10:45 to 12:00 GST

ICANN60 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: It is October 31, 2017. This is Cross-Community Committee on Accessibility, Capital Suite 6, 10:45 AM.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So, let's begin. Hopefully my audio is fine and I'm not too loud, which sometimes happen when I start using my parade ground voice, but I'll promise not to do that, unless I get really agitated. My name is Cheryl Langdon-Orr. I am the nominal moderator of this cross-community committee on accessibility within ICANN. Because we have a small group today and some new faces, I'm going to suggest we go back to ice-breaking exercises 101, and we do a very quick around the table.

Do not assume that just because you've been here, like me, since Adam was conceived, that people do actually know you. Say who you are. I would like to suggest, if you have a particular connection to any part of ICANN or the ICANN community or, of course, the ICANN organization, confess that, but we really don't care that much, excepting if you're in a power position and then we want to utilize you.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

I for one am not a big fan of privacy, because in the disability sector, what tends to happen is we lose all sorts of privacy. The day will come when I have to have someone dress me and take basic care of my bodily functions, and therefore I might as well start preparing now, while I am exposing myself to you all, the public, and the record for perpetuity. I have a hidden disability, or what's declared often as a hidden disability. No, not my insanity. I know you think that's what I'm going to be saying.

But in fact, I suffer from—I'm going to say it—a progressive degenerative bone disease, which is called Ankylosing Spondylitis. I've had it for going on almost 40 years, and the fact that I'm standing here at all—as Don can well attest to, because he has connections and family—is one of those use it or lose it exercises. Yes, I will fall down one day and break permanently and descend. I think perhaps I would prefer – let me go with purple irises for the funeral, if you're making choices now.

But until that happens, I'm going to do my best to make sure that we improve accessibility for all, and hopefully ICANN will be one of the models we can look back on and say wow, as a multi-stakeholder model, that we really got this right. I'm going from my left, brief introductions.

---

EMILY PIMENTEL: Hi, I'm Emily Pimentel. I'm on the communications team at ICANN Org.

BUTCH PFREMMER: Hi, I'm Butch Pfremmer. I'm on the language services team with ICANN.org, and I'm very interested in accessibility because many of the accessibility enablement's mimic the same enablements required for language support as well, so thank you.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Hi, good morning. I'm [NAME 0:03:19]. I'm coming from ISO Trivandrum and I'm the vice chair for ISO Trivandrum. I work for open source technologies. We have got an international center for free and open source software at Trivandrum. One of the critical areas which we work on is accessibility-related things. Thank you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Hi, my name is Fatimata Seye Sylla. I'm a member of AFRALO leadership, and I'm very interested in accessibility because I think that's one of our major issues in Africa, to have more people involved, more people participating. That's why I'm here.

---

JUSTINE CHU: Good morning. My name is Justine Chu. I'm a member of At-Large, in particular APRALO, and I'm just here to absorb, really.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Good morning. My name is Alfredo Calderon. I'm an ICANN fellow in this meeting. I'm a member of the ISOC chapter from Puerto Rico. The next meeting will be in Puerto Rico. I'm interested in accessibility from the point of view of using technology to enhance and deal with digital breaches or divides among various sectors in the community.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Hello, I'm Evan. I'm with the At-Large team, ICANN staff.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Hello, [NAME 0:04:46], At-Large support staff.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, aren't you going to introduce yourself? Alan Greenberg, At-Large. I'm chair of At-Large, and I wear one of my disabilities in my ear, and we'll talk about them later on.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, this is Heidi Ullrich, from ICANN staff. I'm sort of—vision, having accessibility issues with my vision, and wow, this monitor is giving me some challenges.

DANIEL DARDAILLER: Hello, my name is Daniel Dardailler. I work at W3C, and about 20 years ago, I started about the Web Accessibility Initiative. Since then, I've been pushing for accessibility for the web. Now, the web accessibility guideline is nice standards, so it's a really solid base for all the websites. It's not everything that you have to care about, but at least for the web, it's important that we follow your work.

DUNCAN BURNS: I'm Duncan Burns. I lead communications and languages services for ICANN Org.

JENNY GENOVICH: Jenny Genovich. I've lost my voice. Communications team.

CARINA ACE: Hi, I'm Carina Ace. I work for ICANN Org, part of the product management team.

---

MARK SEGAL: Hi, I'm Mark Segal. I'm also ICANN Org. I'm responsible for the digital services we provide the community.

SARAH CAPLICE: Sarah Caplice, also with ICANN Org. I'm the manager of meetings technical services.

JOSH BALCH: Josh Balch, ICANN meetings team.

DIANE SCHRODER: Diane Schroder, Senior VP of Global Human Resources, and a person who has shared way too many freight elevators with Cheryl Langdon-Orr at meetings, because I have mobility issues. Cartagena was particularly fun.

GINA VILLAVICENCIO: Gina Villavicencio, recently joined the ICANN Global Human Resources team.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I don't think anyone else has snuck in since we've started that, so Cheryl Langdon-Orr, for the record. When you make an intervention, I will encourage you to say that, just for the

---

transcription. It looks less peculiar, I guess. Did you notice, ladies and gentlemen, the amazing number of ICANN org people sitting around this table? That is because this cross-community committee is a resource for them to pick our brains and our experience and road test, field test, beta test, or alpha test—we don't mind, we're here for you—to try and make sure that there are minimal barriers in engagement in ICANN activities, whether that is the intersessional staff, whether that's the communications staff, the web staff, and of course the meeting staff.

Yes, sure, there's challenges. Surprise, surprise. This meeting should be seen as a frank and fearless space, where we can say, "But it's not fair that we don't have gold standard services up to this particular benchmark," that some organization once sanctioned. You can say, "That's fine, where's the \$27 million for me to do it?" We recognize that priorities have to be sorted somehow, et cetera.

We will always want more than you can give, and hopefully we can help you sort which giving's of the greatest need. I have a couple of people who have flagged to me that they would like to have been here, and obviously Lorissa is one of them. If you are aware of any other apologies, can we please let either Erin or

---

Jasmin, whoever is taking the notes—It looks like Erin is—I would like to record those people, for the record.

Please come join us at the table. There's no hiding in the back. Accessibility is not invisible. We do not hide. That's better. If you would like to briefly take the microphone, tell us who you are, where you're from, and why you think this might be worth all listening to.

ALEX ZANCE:

My name is Alex Zance. I come from Uruguay. I was born in Quebec, but I work from the Montevideo office for ICANN. I'm in charge of communication for Latin America and the Caribbean, and I'm here in this meeting to help with social media. That's why I was hiding.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

You can tweet, stream, or anything else from where you are. It's not a problem. Give us the hashtag, and we will all comply. Now, that said, I for one am perfectly happy with my lack of privacy in all things, to be photographed during this session. We are in a country where we need to explicitly request and receive your permission to be photographed, and because this is a small room and you would be clearly identifiable, I am now asking if there is anybody who does not wish to be photographed and



---

used for any social media or ICANN purpose? Let us know now, or forever hold your peace. Nice, we've got that done.

We have also had a couple of people mention that they have needs that they've recognized and experiences they'd like to share. I know we've got some updates on the agenda, but if I can beg your indulgence, before we jump into some updates, can I get the people who are here with a little something to tell us about, to speak first? I have Alan, and I have Justine, and I have Fatimata, correct? We'll do it in that order. Alan, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I have some mobility problems, but the one that gets me at ICANN meetings, despite the far distances, is I don't hear very well. I will do my best with the services we have, but they're not adequate. Often, they're not adequate in ways that I am told it's not because it costs more or it's harder, it's just we don't bother doing it. For instance, in a room like this where everyone has a microphone and you can plug an earphone jack into the microphone, I can hear everything that you're saying, and I can turn up the volume.

If we're in a room with a podium, chances are the podium is wired on a separate loop. When someone on the podium is speaking, if the speakers in the room aren't good, I can't hear

---

them. If I happen to be at the podium, I may not be able to hear the other things. Now, we know that we funnel all of these different loops into the same thing for Adobe Connect and role participation, but we don't choose to route them into the individual loops, and the technical people have several times told me it can be done, but we just don't wire them that way.

That works, assuming I'm in a room where I happen to be one of the privileged people at a microphone, in one of these little boxes. If they're wired properly, then my problems would be solved. If I happen to be in the audience of a room that has language translation, language interpretation, I'm fine. I plug into the little box. If the transmitter was put in a place that I can actually see it from where I'm seeing, which often they're not.

I think we have placement issues there, and of course if I'm in a room without interpretation facilities, then there is no little infrared transmitter and it's not something we provide. There's a lot of people in our world that don't hear perfectly, and I really think it's something that we could fix, probably with very minimal cost. We just have to think about it when we're setting these things up. Thank you.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. Due to gesticulating at me, because she wants to respond specifically to what you're saying, go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, this is Judith Hellerstein, for the record. Also, I am told that the Capital Suites rooms do not have livestream transcripts. That's another issue, because people who couldn't hear in a situation could be looking at the livestream transcripts that come out, but these rooms don't have them. That's also an issue, when they think about if they are not going to put the livestreams in the smaller rooms, think about where they are putting different sessions or have them all on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Points well made. We're not trying to solve the problems here today, but we wanted to give people the opportunities to raise them, and we also want to put ourselves at your beck and call. I make that seriously as an offer. If I don't have a way of finding someone with the particular skill set and experience that you guys need in ICANN Org to talk to, test with, or whatever, I will be very surprised. If you want somebody who is deaf-blind, let me know, and we will find a way for you to communicate with that individual or groups of individuals to do whatever it is you think that would be useful input.

---

Our job is to make your job easier for us to engage. I'm going to go to Justine? No, okay. Fatimata, and then I'll go to you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you, Cheryl. I will start by commending all the thoughts that are being made by ICANN. Justine, do you have mine? Yes, all your thoughts that are being made by ICANN to outreach to further communities, to faraway communities. I mean like in my region in Africa, where we have some challenges in terms of communicating with people, because so many translations are being made into other languages.

But we also are doing some other outreach and engagement activities on the ground, and the challenges we're facing there is about mobilizing community to talk to them about ICANN issues. Why? Because they have other priorities. Many of them don't understand much why they will use their time to listen to all these issues. They don't know how concerned they might be impacted, or concerned about anything happening in this.

You know what we do when it comes to capacity building, even for issues like training teachers or you name it? Sometimes you have to give some incentives, to have them come to a meeting. First of all, you have to have a good venue, you have to have speakers who are known. That's not a problem, because we're

---

known in our areas. Also, sometimes you have to give transportation costs to people, to come and attend, and also to provide food, be it coffee breaks. If you sit all day, you have to provide lunch and coffee breaks.

Well, when we have to count on ILS's to do that, we just go with that. This is a problem I just wanted to talk about, and this is why we're not doing – we're being efficient in terms of mobilizing people, but we're not being very efficient in terms of having people understand the real issues to be able to participate in policy development processes within ICANN. That is a problem we've been dragging all along for years, and we are not being that great.

For example, today, when the picture was being taken, I was in the meeting with the board, ALAC and the board. We could see that there was not that much diversity. I'm sorry to say it, but there was not. This is a problem I wanted to share with you, thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, and I think I'll put an opinion in that, because I'd like to hear some of the updates. I suspect there may be some things that come out in terms of dealing with some of these issues.

---

Let's just collect some of the problems for now. Please, go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, this is Alfredo Calderon, for the record. I wanted to share a small experiment with all of you guys here. I'm going to talk in Spanish now [Speaking in Spanish 0:18:40]. Those that don't understand me, what are you going to do? If we're in a room like this right now? That's my comment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: For someone who only speaks Australian, which is barely recognized as part of the English language, I actually—and that's all I speak—I stand in awe of all of the people who do these multilingual things, and I spend a lot of time talking to the language services teams that come to these meetings, because they are nothing short of phenomenal. We do have access to the skillsets, but it's still a scarce resource. There might be ways for us to work smarter, and not harder. There might be some digital mechanism that we could be utilizing. There might be something. I don't know. Clever people out there undoubtedly will find solutions. Justine, you sure you don't want to make a comment? I'm happy to draw you out. No? Not at all? Okay.

---

Anyone else want to share anything? Any confessions? We have one in the remote room, Renata?

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Cheryl. Yesim Nazlar, At-Large staff. We have a remote participation question on the AC chat, from Renata Aquino Ribeiro. The IGFDC's papers are out. It would be great if the CCWG would tell a bit about the work done to the—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just pause on that. That's exactly right. It keeps on moving. In the absence of—this is a tool we all use, right? In the absence of, transcription pod going on. If you're trying to catch up with chat or notes or anything, staff are putting notes in and you're continually dragging, scrolling down and dragging it back up again. Go on, I like to watch the stuff. Go ahead.

YESIM NAZLAR: The IGFDC's papers are out. It could be great if the CCWG could tell a bit about the work done to the dynamic coalition on accessibility and disability. Also trying to understand synergies the group might have to other works. Any info appreciated, and she also adds, sorry, I'm without audio here to speak and connection unstable but following. Thank you.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Renata. I appreciate that. We actually have a closed nexus between this cross-community committee within ICANN and DCAT, as it runs under the ITU and contributes to the Internet Governance Forum. That's because of a couple of members, which include Ganella, who I'd like to recognize, and Judith, who I'd like to recognize, and myself with Ganella, right back at the beginning when DCAT started.

We do have some nexus there. We also have made very sure that when, for example, the meeting's best practices work that comes out of the IGF, when that was published and updated, we make sure that that's a resource we share across to ICANN org staff. Now, I know, guys, this might get lost in the back of somebody's email pile or somewhere on a wiki and maybe we occasionally need to refresh it. But we do our very best to make sure that there is a nexus on that.

Good points made, and I'm sorry that bandwidth and audio are not your friend at this time. Daniel has a question.

DANIEL DARDAILLER: Another question, you asked for general updates. I can give you some news on the web accessibility front. Right now, there is a public review of the 2.1 version of the guideline. The 2.0 is the



---

one that people have been using for years. There is a 2.1 coming out in about June, normally in June 2018. There is a public review right now, and the focus is on mobile web accessibility. It's just the focus, that it's compatible with the old one.

There is another news related to digital publishing. We have a new activity [INAUDIBLE 0:23:27] digital publishing, and there are accessibility requirements and guidelines being looked at for digital publishing in particular for eBooks and things like that, which are a bit different than for the web.

Then the third thing is that there is some ongoing work on accessibility evaluation of websites. If you're interested in that work, there's also some public review happening on the web accessibility. But in general, the web accessibility initiative is open to the public, so you can join at any time, any group. There are seven groups, I think. They're working on different things, and these are technical or education or guideline or policy. There is an update on the policy aspect of accessibility. Some countries have different requirements for public sites, for non-public sites. It's completely different, depending on the jurisdiction.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much for that update, Daniel. I'm quite confident that there will be aspects within ICANN Org that we'll want to keep a watching brief on that. Anything you can push to our list, because we've got key staff that also watch our list, that would be great. I don't think we've managed to catch up with the current version, so it'll be exciting to see what we get to do to update the new ones. But hopefully. I've got Judith and then I've got Alan.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I just wanted to add the [INAUDIBLE 0:25:03] DCAT, and we are also working with them. There are a bunch of resources, and we're adding to them, some of the work that the technology taskforce has done with Adobe Connect on accessibility, and general accessibility of different captionings and that type of work. We are adding to that work there, and we're having several sessions in the IGF on those, with many of the staff who are on the accessibility committee, working on that, too. I'm monitoring one of the panels.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Judith. Many of us will take the opportunity to be remotely participating in the IGF activities. I certainly stay in as many rooms as I have both interests and computer screens

---

available for, and it would be nice to actually see perhaps a little more proactive, if I can suggest, Judith, recognition of those who are attending those sessions remotely. It's quite easy to be left out there on an island by yourself, so to speak. But we'll deal with that with the moderators at the time.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Let me know, because we have a remote moderator. I'm either a regular moderator or remote, I've forgot which one I am.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Understood, and whilst the remote moderators do a fabulous job, it is often a matter of getting their attention. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I have an unpopular one, because it involves money. It's a follow-on to Fatimata. One of my hats I wear is chair of ALAC, and one of my jobs is to find people that I can get to volunteer to do things. It's hard finding people who are willing to put the time and effort into doing it and have the skills. It's a real shame when we have people who meet those qualifications and can't do it, because of accessibility problems. I'm talking about internet bandwidth and things like that.

---

They could get better bandwidth. They would have to invest, from their perspective, based on their salaries, in Africa or other places, a significant part of their income to increase their bandwidth enough to be able to, for instance, chair a meeting. Of course, if I were to mention that in the normal circles at ICANN, eyes would roll and say, “There they are, looking for more money.” Yet, we are putting people at a significant disability, because they cannot take on tasks they’re willing to take on, because they can’t afford more hours on their mobile phone or another mobile line that works at a higher bandwidth.

It’s not unique to Africa. Just talk to our young lady from the Cook Islands, about how much she has to pay per megabyte for her access, and she has to limit what she does because of that, or she has to put a pile of money into it. I think we are significantly disadvantaging some of our people, and we’re losing skills and valuable donations to us, because we have a policy that says, “Sorry, we don’t do that.”

It’s not unique to communications and particular places. We see it in other parts of ICANN that are not related to accessibility because it’s simpler to have a simple rule that’s easy to administer than look at individual cases. I know I’m talking to someone beside me who has a couple of examples of her own, as do I. ICANN has to start looking at supporting its volunteers

---

better, and in some cases, that means doing things which you wouldn't want to do for everyone. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Alan. I've been reminded by staff that people are not stating their names, so state your names.

ALAN GREENBERG: That was Alan Greenberg speaking just now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, there's a lot of doom, gloom, and despair in all of this. There's disadvantaged communities, there's people with low bandwidth, there's all sorts of things that are out there. There's natural disasters, which take out whole swathes of islands and all sorts of things. I obviously was reflecting on our recent hurricane issues. They're not quick fixes, rebuilding infrastructure.

But humans, at least in my experience - and hopefully in my humanist belief, it will continue to be the case - are amazingly resilient and clever little beasts. They do these incredible workarounds. Some of them come up with ways to do end to end communication and things like the internet happen. There's perhaps clever ways of us looking at not always high bandwidth-

---

demanding mechanisms, when we're looking at pushing our technologies or utilizing some sort of communication system.

Is there a low bandwidth, a medium bandwidth, and what you would be perfectly natural and happy to use in Midwest America, alternative to everything you do? I don't know. I don't have an answer, but I'd be very surprised if people could not come up with some possibilities. That brings us back now to looking at some of the successes and pathways that we've already found ICANN going on, in terms of updates, because we will find that, for example, the success of the pilot program with the captioning is a good example of a low bandwidth ability for someone to have access to what's going on.

It's not the only way, but one way that we can do that. What I want to move to now – and I have absolutely no idea who's going to be reporting on any of these things, so let's just ad lib, shall we? There was, first of all, ICANN communication and – let me start that again. I'm having a connection problem, I think. Anyway, let me see if I can get my mouth and my brain somewhat in sync. ICANN communications and publications, who's going to get that? Duncan wins the prize.

---

DUNCAN BURNS:

Duncan Burns here, from ICANN Org. I might touch on 2A, and maybe B one and a half, to wrap a few things together. I lead our communications team and our language services team. That's been for a year now, with language services. One of the things in accessibility we really try to make strides on is to bring that process closer together, so that there is more translated content, so that there is an understanding of what plain English looks like.

I think we recognize that's not something you can do overnight, and it takes a long time. Every document you've got to try and tackle, and some of the documents we have more control over with than others. What about executive summaries? We're really trying to think about how we can make our content accessible, how can we have hi-res versions, how can we have versions on the screen that people can see more easily, how do we take videos and put them together into downloadable podcasts?

I think there are, at the same time that we create this content, some contradictions within the community in terms of needs. For example, mobile first is an obvious strategy. It's one that Josh and Sarah can talk more about in terms of our IT approach. But then you come to an ICANN meeting, and 70 percent of the people here are on laptops or non-mobile devices. That's when you look at what the data is saying.

---

That's actually quite an interesting dynamic in the meetings, creating content that bridges all of that, bridges multiple devices. But I think one of the main things I wanted to talk about is the information transparency initiative. There is a session on Thursday, 1:30 on Thursday. Yurin has talked a bit about it. He talked about it in the opening ceremony, and it's a recognition that, at the moment, the website is our portal for access to ICANN's content, and that it's not doing a good enough job.

The material is not findable, it's not findable in the languages that we translate into. Rather than trying to just address the very top layer of what's visible on the website, we're undertaking a multi-year effort to essentially install a document management system. It's really foundational, get the guts right of our system, that includes tagging, taxonomy, that really thinks about it from an internal point of view, and how do we make sure that there is a governance process, that what needs to be translated is translated, that it's been tagged, that we can find it, and then surface it in a way that is more accessible?

Now, what that looks like we're still working on, and I think that's going to be an obvious interaction for this group, over the next couple of years. Jana and Mark here are our day to day leads, and David Conrad and I are leading the effort. I think it's not – 20 percent of it is the visible bit. 80 percent of it is getting



---

the guts right, and if we can't get that right, then we won't fix the findability. We won't fix having a site that actually works in all languages that we do, that you can also find the language that we do in Turkish or through our MOUs in translation with the Japanese or Koreans.

I think that's something that we're very focused on. We're just starting it, in the embryonic stages now, and then the board approved it and moved on to the board meeting. Come to the session, if you're interested. I really hope – I'm very glad that there's someone from W3C here. Those are the sorts of things that we need to be looking at, working out what we can do, what's fit for purpose, what works for the ICANN community, which is both unique but also people do websites and document governance every day all around the world, and we need to draw on some of that best practice and some lessons from when perhaps we haven't been so successful in the past. I'll stop there, because I know there's more to cover, unless Mark or Jana, there's anything?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'd like to give you a chance, if you wanted to follow on with anything? No? You just covered it all, what can I say? I have Alan and then I have Judith.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. The first part, very simple. Can you tell us when and where? That would be really nice. I'm sure we can find it, if we can figure out how to go through the schedule and find the right one.

DUNCAN BURNS: 1:30 in the GAC room, Thursday.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's hall 3. Okay, are you including the wiki in this? I knew that was the answer. There is a horrendous or a huge amount of information that is put on the wiki. It is, of course, much of it posted by volunteers, and to be honest, that is where almost everything resides that one wants to find, at this point. How do we somehow integrate that into it? At least by telling us what the taxonomy is and the tagging system, so that if we should choose to care, we could perhaps do something. But almost everything I try to find these days is on the wiki, not on the web, and we've heard the story before, when At-Large web was being done, saying, "Oh no, it doesn't include the wiki," and the search won't include the wiki and we're living on the wiki, I'm afraid.

---

DUNCAN BURNS:

It is not, at this time, including the wiki. But what we're trying to do is impart the foundational elements of this, is if we can get that taxonomy and the tags there, that can be extendable. We're then trying to use these and commit to these platforms as what will then be the basis, going forward. At the moment, it's not a document management system for every document ICANN touches. It is for ICANN Org and about twelve other websites that we're trying to collapse, so that we don't have 35 platforms we're having to support, trying to reduce the costs and align in.

It will include – let my memory get jogged here. For example, the meeting site, the mobile app, some of the features – the meetings is the really important. There's massive amounts of content on the meeting site. That's where people go and get the archive. It's not going to include, at this stage, the SOAC website. The next step, once we've got the guts right, is then it's much easier and quicker to then start to do that. We'll talk about it on Thursday.

We currently have about 105,000, 120,000 pieces of content, just on ICANN.org, and it's growing at 20 percent a year. We have to get that right quickly, because that's often the first landing spot when people come to ICANN, and then where they go. We also need to make sure – I know Chris and Tim talked about it in previous meetings, that then the joins are there, when you're

---

driving through, taking people onto the ALAC site, to the GAC site, to wherever it is, that people can follow that journey. I think that's a large part of the heavy lift that we have ahead of us, is to really think that through.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Judith, go ahead.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: In line with all of that, the documents, are you making sure that the documents that are put up are using the two different standards on web accessibility that W3C does, with the PDFs and the ability to annotate and comment on those? This is the cross-community on accessibility. That is something a lot of screen readers that have navigation problems, they're very pronounced on some of these sites. It's important, especially the way PDFs are committed, or when you do presentations or when you do any type of these devices, that you use the two different standards that are set up by the W3C on both of these accessibility issues.

DUNCAN BURNS: I'm going to say I don't know, and that's just partly intentional, is that that's what we need to sort out. Don't leave before we've

---

had a chance to exchange cards. I think that's what we need to look at. Those are the choices, that we need to make sure what platforms are good. I think one of the observations I would make is ICANN and the community use a lot of PDFs. It seems to be almost default. Is that the best thing, to always be using? Are there other ways that allow us to better surface content? All of that needs to be looked into. That's why I can't commit, because we haven't gone through that process yet, and I want to make sure we do that publicly first.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I know that the mantra open source was annotated over there, when we were making introductions. But the only place I have any form of Microsoft product is on this phone, because for whatever reason, Google must pay for it. I don't know. I can read Microsoft things on this phone. That's the only thing I own that does that. Of course, every time staff sends me anything, it's a docx, and every time things are marked up, it's in Word, and I keep suggesting to them that that's great, but you do realize I will not see those changes? It's not going to show, and I'm happy to work with it.

But we do also need to look at what the people who are not engaging in ICANN and that we seek to engage in ICANN activities are likely to pick up and use, and the more expensive

---

licensed products just might not be the short list for that. It might be on the list, but it might not be at the top of the list. Again, there might be some prioritizations that you can work through with our community. I'm sure there's plenty of opportunity for us to actually give you some real metrics, so you can make informed decisions based on factors, opposed to hearsay and conjecture.

DUNCAN BURNS:

Mark, jump in on what products we use. I think one of the other sides of this, that we realize isn't working as well as we'd hope on the current site, is to that point, what content are you interested in? What can I sign up for and get pushed to me, rather than having to go and find it? I think that is suboptimal at the moment. We have various thoughts about how to improve that. I think one of the challenges we've now run into – actually, there are two.

One is we did have profiles on the site, but then they became a home for a lot of spam and fake profiles, and we had to dismantle that. Now we've also got to grapple with how do we balance the concept of profiles? I mean that in the broadest sense, and signing up for newsletters with GDPR, privacy, what data we're asking for. We have to work through all that as well.

---

There's no, "Here's a simple bit on the making content appropriate," but that will come. In terms of platforms or open standards, I'll let Mark answer if there's anything else.

MARK SEGAL:

Yes, I think you just said it, Duncan. As we get into the requirement stage of this project, we're going to really get a better feel for what's the appropriate platform for things. We are very well aware that the WCAG – and we've been reviewing at least 2.0, obviously. I took note of 2.1 coming out. But I think that there's a lot of governance. There's a lot of this behind the scenes work that needs to be done to determine our governance of what is acceptable and how far do we want to go? Do we want full AA? Do we want partial AA? Do we want to even get into AAA? I think that you're asking those exact questions we're going to be asking of ourselves during the requirement sessions.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. Alfredo?

ALFREDO CALDERON:

I mentioned, when I presented myself, that I'm an ICANN fellow, and I want to get more involved in ICANN issues. Alan and Cheryl read my mind. There's a huge amount of data, information

---

documentation that you have. Now, in my case, if I want to get involved in some working groups, there's so many documents I have to read, but I can't find them.

The time that I'm investing, as a volunteer, is huge, just to catch up. In terms of the tools that I use, this is a tablet. It's not a computer. Those are just my comments.

DUNCAN BURNS:

Yes, and I think that's really at the heart of what we're trying to address here, is if we can make the content, whatever it is, findable at this stage org and the fellowship website and a few others, then you can start to piece together the narratives and allow people to follow the threads from when the initial working group material, the first public comment, to policy development to the implementation.

Now, it's not going to be a beautifully laid-out thing, and instantly, I think that's what we have to work on. We have to make sure the tagging really covers what it needs to, that we don't overcomplicate it. There are so many dials that one has to turn, but I think yes, I would also introduce you to Alex Stands, who's in the pink top, who is our Latin American and Caribbean communications manager, and does speak Spanish, and would be very happy to help you. She's wonderful.



---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I have Alan and then Fatimata, I'm going to come to you, because I want to raise a question about this issue I've heard, just as you were talking, when we're accessing documents. We've managed to find the documents, so we've got that far, and then we wish to read the documents. I personally am more likely to be reading it on my mobile phone or my tablets. I'm not that often tethered to my desk. It seems to be more and more common that then we have to download. I want you to come up with that one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Just a small anecdote, disc space is not one of the highest costs in data processing these days. But I wonder if you ran a compare on all of the documents, on all of your systems, how many copies of many, many documents you would find? Things are so hard to find that when you find it, you copy it somewhere else where you'll be able to find it next time, both onto your individual machines and onto different places on the wiki.

I know I have personally deposited so many documents in so many places, just because I knew I would never find it again. Plus, several gigabytes of my personal or a fraction of a terabyte

---

on my personal computer, replicating these same documents, because who knows if I'll ever find them again? It's just an anecdote.

DUNCAN BURNS:

I think maybe over the next – it's probably going to be eight months, we're doing an audit of every single document on ICANN.org. We're trying to automate as much as we can, but someone will eventually have to touch every document and make sure it's tagged and the title and everything's right, and that's also a point then to work out where are duplications, what's cross-linked.

I think the goal is also, as you go forward, once you've got the system installed, is that there is proper document governance. Every document has a unique ID – you can find it – that we should be avoiding that issue. Now, that's not the wiki. That'll have to be down the line, but at least we're starting that journey to fix those types of issues.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. For your enlightenment, do run a scan on the wiki anyway, even though you're not going to fix the problem. I think you'll find some interesting results.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Judith has a point to that. Go ahead, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Especially most of the problems, half are using mobile or tablets on the wiki, where most of our documents reside, is the issue of having to render every little point on a page in confluence. On a mobile – on the web, they come up. On a desktop, they come up. On a mobile device, you can't find anything because you can't render the page. Then, if you find it and someone sends it, then you have to render each little section. Sometimes the rendering doesn't lock out.

I know, in the technology taskforce, what we've done and something is also, depending on uploading things in a different process. There's some documents that can be uploaded in a different process, so that they can be seen on mobile devices and not need to be rendered. I think that is such an important thing, especially as we are looking at these documents from an accessibility point of view in this committee. That is something that I think needs to be – and I think you'll be remiss, if you're not looking on the wiki. It has a lot of these issues.

---

DUNCAN BURNS:

Mark, I'll let you answer on the wiki in a second. I think one of the things we are looking at – and again, I've been much more aware of it in the last year, working with Butch, actually, is the range of document types that we are given or are asked to work with. They all have different abilities to be translated, manipulated, the complications of them. I think one of the things we'll need to look at as part of this is what are some of the core templates that we want to create and work with those?

It can't always be an all you can eat buffet of any standard. The more we can focus our resources and attention on, standardizing behind best practice, I think the better it will be for everyone because it'll allow us to focus on translating more or making it more accessible. I think in terms of the wiki, I'm going to let Mark answer that.

MARK SEGAL:

Thank you for that. As far as the wiki goes, that one's been organically grown over time, as everybody knows. One of the things we're purposefully doing, why we selected ICANN.org is because there's a lot of requirements for the ICANN org, to be more findable. But it's also going to launch us into a lot of the learnings we get from this, are going to help us for all the future sites like the SOAC sites and the wiki.

---

I think Carina and I and also Chris Gift have had some preliminary discussions on where do we go with the wiki, because it hasn't really been a managed service. It's been primarily just left in the hands, unstructured. It's been doing the job, but then as with anything that grows organically over time, it needs to probably be revisited. I think that's where we're at, and how do we do it in a way that doesn't completely disrupt all the work that the community's putting in? I think it's one that we're going to be revisiting, as we get further along into ITI and getting those learnings from that project.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Back to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. As much as I am frustrated with our current wiki, many times I cannot contemplate changing it. We have now started – not only is the wiki itself complex, we now use an infinite number of macros, which do specialize things. I cannot believe we will ever find a way to automatically convert them, and that means data loss. We're still suffering with many, many links for social text, not only on the wiki where they don't work, but embedded in PDFs and things like that, where they will never work. Careful what you wish for, if you want a better wiki.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Mark, if I may, I'm just very aware of the time and I'd love you to talk to some of the people who have recently gone through the APRALO ten-year history project. That's just a mere decade of trying to find early stuff, from earlier wikis. There's some interesting learnings, but we are very short of time. If you don't mind, ladies and gentleman, I'm going to be the bossy bitch that you know I can be and move us along.

I have absolutely no memory whatsoever of what the issues were raised by Renalia and Abdul Rehim, so there you go. We'll sort that out some other year. It won't be this one. Now you tell me you have it!

HEIDI ULLRICH: It was for a universal acceptance and scripts. She was asking for a beta. She was offering that the APRALO region might be in an area for beta testing.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, let's carry that for further discussion at our next meeting, and let's actually write down this time what it is, because it took some time to find out what it was. I will come to you. I just want to make sure that what we've done is ticked off. There's a few

---

things here that were given-y type padding for an agenda, like remote participation, face to face, et cetera.

From the technology taskforce, I'm going to request that we link to this meeting's records, the most recent reports and updates, and if there's anything, Judith, that the TTF would like to specifically raise to the attention of this group for this meeting, if you could let staff have access to those links or that document. We will tie it for the archive, but we won't discuss it in the room.

I'm particularly keen to hear in terms of the staff survey on accessibility. There was a huge amount of work done, that Diane has spoken to us before. I'm assuming that we have some follow-up. It's just everyone's been busy and there's a next step. What's going on, Diane?

DIANE SCHRODER: You were to provide me with updated questions that you wanted answered in the survey in the next round, and I have not received those. We're waiting at the moment, on that step to move forward.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Let us refresh that action item, make it as clear as day that that is what we should do, and I believe actually selected three or

---

four people to do that job. If we could go back to the record from that last meeting, I think we did a little subcommittee to do that. I will send mea culpa, even though I'm not, but I can, and we will fix that as soon as possible. It was too much good work done for it to just get lost.

That said, I do want to have a brief moment, Fatimata, with your reaction when I mentioned the fact that one tends to have to download so much these days.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Yes, thank you. Cheryl, you talked about your computer. He talked about his iPad. Think about people who only have – not those smart phones, with 32-gig and who would like to download from the site. It's just a nightmare. That said, my question this time is to me and to Alan. Are we talking to the right people? We're talking about money this time. We're talking about support. We're talking about providing resources to potential volunteers who could work for ICANN, who could work for the community, because I think ICANN wants to be the more inclusive, as much as possible. What can we do? I don't hear anything about my question and about Alan's question. Thank you.



---

DUNCAN BURNS: You're right, this probably isn't the perfect group to be talking to about that. I think Pierre Dandjinou, who is our head of engagement in Africa – I'm sure you know – and Sally Costa are probably the best people to talk to. I know there is an African engagement strategy, an Africa regional strategy, rather, which Pierre and his team have developed with community members.

I don't know enough about what's in there to be able to answer your question off the top of my head, but I'm happy to mention to Pierre and have him come talk to you, if that would be helpful.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Go ahead, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I'm currently involved in a completely separate subject, not associated with accessibility, but could cost money. A point I've been trying to put forward on that one is first, ICANN needs to decide is this a priority? If it's a priority, then maybe we can then talk about money. But just talking about it as money is not sufficient. Is accessibility an issue that we want to try to address? It then rises in the priority when you start talking about money. The decision has to come first, and it has to be a conscious and understanding decision that it will cost money. But is it something that you want to be able to do?

---

DUNCAN BURNS: I know, because many of us at this table are starting to have to develop RFY19 and RFY20 budgets, that we are starting, looking at the ongoing strategy plan, operating plan. I would just highly encourage you all to raise this in available forums, particularly the public comments, when any of these are going out. I think it's very hard to advocate in a vacuum, so the more one has, the examples, specifics, and those contributed into the forum that's out there, it's public, then it's easier to have that discussion about what are the resources? We are in a relatively flat funding environment, so priorities is really hard in this forum.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Daniel, very, very briefly.

DANIEL DARDAILLER: Yes. I wanted to mention that the assumption that we make in accessibility for the web is that people have an HTML viewer, something that can read HTML, validate HTML. There are issues, of course, with people having only SMS, for instance, to access the web. But it's not our issue, in a sense. Once the content is accessible, it should be easily transformable into SMS or audio or braille.

---

The issue of the end user access using an assistive technology or an outdated technology is something that is usually taken care of by different organizations, that the one doing the standards – there are assistive technology organizations, and there are projects that give access through SMS to the entire web, not just to the ICANN site. You should be looking at this layer of technology, which is after the web, in a sense. Once the content is accessible on the web, then you can process it locally or regionally, to different media modalities.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm Cheryl Langdon-Orr and we are about to wrap this session up. But I want to mention two things. First of all, nobody has indicated that there is any other business, so unless you yell extraordinarily loudly now, I will assume that that is the case. I also wanted to remind you that we only meet at the long form meetings, not the longest or the long and longest-form meetings that ICANN offers, so we will be meeting at ICANN 61.

I for one would like to see that we get a little bit ahead of the game on some of these things. It'd be very exciting to see if there's any update on some of what you've brought to us. It's closed, Judith. Not going to happen. With that, I want to thank you one and all. I really value your time, both the volunteers and

---

especially – I think we’ve got the cream of the crop in terms of staff representation of ICANN Org. I want to give you a round of applause, and you a round of applause. Let’s work together. We can swallow this, but it doesn’t have to be in one great big mouthful.

ALAN GREENBERG: I’m going to say one more round of applause. When I registered for this meeting, I ticked off the box, having accessibility problems. Someone contacted me. Thank you.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Alan, that’s a direct result of earlier requests from this accessibility working group. Direct result.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**