
SAN JUAN – ccNSO Council Meeting
Wednesday, March 14, 2018 – 17:00 to 18:30 AST
ICANN61 | San Juan, Puerto Rico

KATRINA SATAKI: [inaudible] withdraw resolutions. Welcome everyone to this face-to-face council meeting and before we proceed with the meeting itself, we have a short announcement. May I ask BYRON HOLLAND to read it.

BYRON HOLLAND: I wanted to do a brief reading in memoriam of Ben Fuller from the council. The council notes with great regret the unexpected passing of our esteemed colleague Ben Fuller. His contribution to ICANN and particularly the ccNSO community may not be well known, but they were extensive and invaluable. As an active member of the guideline review committee, he made significant contributions to the ccNSO. Ben was also a most effective liaison to the GNSO. His regular reports to the council were both clear and comprehensive, giving the council a clear sense of GNSO activities and concerns. His people skills went far in elevating the relationship between the ccNSO and the GNSO to its current state. On behalf of the ccNSO community, the council wishes to express its deepest condolences to his family, his friend and

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

colleague Eva Hartleys, and the dot na ccTLD, and [inaudible] internet community.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you very much. We proceed with our proposed consent agent, the proposal is for the council to adopt all resolutions under 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9 of today's consent agenda. Take items 2, 3, 5, 11, and 12 as discussed and read. There shouldn't be any surprises unless you want to say something or maybe remove one of several items from the consent agenda. We could approve the entire list. Anyone would like to move?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: I'll move.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you Stephen, seconded by Byron. Any questions, comments, suggestions? OK, I see none. Then, let's proceed with the vote. Please all those who are in favor raise your hands. Thanks you. Against. No. Abstain, abstentions, anyone abstains? No. Thank you. Passed unanimously. Which means we have all are doing very well. Regular meeting, starting from agenda item number 13. That's an update on SSR2, purely information. This week SOAC chairs have prepared a letter and sent it to the OAC committee of the board. We tried to be more precise about our

expectations, so what we expect from this external facilitator that we proposed to have. The idea is that this external facilitator would help the team to understand the basic principles, try to explain and help them to identify leadership team. Tried to help them to understand how to reach consensus, what consensus means, and basically help new members that will shortly be appointed to the team, to get them on board as quickly as possible. I really hope that we can restart the SSR2 team, as you remember, a specific review on security stability and resilience. We hope that this team will be able to work and be as team members, ready and willing to do the review, but they were paused and now it is time to move forward. Of course it raised many different questions, how to proceed in similar cases if sometime in the future some other review will note difficulties and problems with the team. Those issues of course still need to be addressed, but please for now it seems that we have a common understanding on what needs to be done to have SSR2 team repost as soon as possible. OK. Then you heard today about the initial discussion about the rules of the ccNSO, this is something that we as the council need to think about, to make sure we are on the same page. Discussion today showed that probably we are not. One of the ways would be that we ask guidelines review committee, both Stephen and I are on this committee, purely by accident apparently. So that the guidelines review committee start thinking about to do next,

how to proceed, basically. Any other suggestions? Maybe you have had time to think about this and have some ideas, what really needs to be done. Nigel, please.

NIGEL ROBERTS: I think at least discussing it within the GLC is a good idea as it does impact upon the whole structure that includes the guidelines. That's not the worst idea.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you. Byron Holland.

BYRON HOLLAND: I would support Nigel's comments. I think that the rules and bylaws from 2004, clearly over the last 15 years, things have changed and to reiterate Stephens point from the discussion this afternoon, our conventions and actions have moved some degree from the strict rules and letters, words on the page. I think we need to reflect on that and probably renew and refresh some of them. If I just think back to how we handled the IANA transition, or the finance working group even, they were processes that were slightly different than what is on the written page. I think that we need to renew and refresh to make sure that we're properly aligned with our own rules and if we have to edit them and change them to reflect the current reality, I think

we should undertake that work. I just agree with Stephen's comments earlier this afternoon and the comments Nigel just made.

NIGEL ROBERTS: Thank you for that.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much. Yes [inaudible].

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you Katrina. I'm just wondering what the GNSO and the ALAC have done with their rules, what the situation is there?

KATRINA SATAKI: They don't have the same setup as we do, so we cannot refer back to what they are doing. Yes please, [inaudible].

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I mean, they must have a set of rules for deciding on certain things. Am I completely displaying my ignorance in wondering about that?

KATRINA SATAKI: Let's do it a simple way. Let's ask Maureen?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Can you repeat?

KATRINA SATAKI: No, you should have been listening in the first place. OK, sorry. I know. The question, do you in ALAC have any rules, some basic document that when you develop a new guideline or some other document that you must make sure that you follow those rules.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think the only sort of rule that we actually has is related to our general, the actual policy development process we actually have, and the pin holder. Basically we have a pinholder and a [inaudible] that generally put something together and then it comes back to there's actually consultation with the ALAC, comes back for further consultation. We don't have formal kind of rules, it's pretty much voluntary, who wants to do it, gets it done and basically seeks consultation from everybody else, until there is some sort of consensus about what actually results. Sorry about that, I just got a message from them and I was ah...

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: No worries. We appreciate your work.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much. I hope that answers your question [inaudible] and it also means as just as I said, we cannot look at others, they operate under a different framework. OK, let's just agree on that, that we ask guidelines review committee to look into the issue and come up with some proposals. Here I just looked that in our consent agenda we somehow jumped over agenda item number 10. Which means it is a study group [inaudible]. The question was, should we have a call for volunteers to set up the group and today we asked people in the room what is their feeling about having a study group and you saw some were in favor, some were not in favor. This is one of the things that probably the council should discuss. I think there is some good arguments why we should not invest our time and efforts into this study. We have our terms of reference for a study group adopted, we did it in February, and we decided to defer the call for volunteers to our face-to-face meeting which is today, because we thought that we need to hear something more from ASAC during tech day and today during our ccNSO members meeting day. One other thing is that, OK, we can think about it now and just decide to do it or not to do it, or we can still defer it to our next meeting in April, when we probably have thought about it and have some other ideas. Debbie.

DEBBIE MONAHAN: Thanks Katrina. I was one of the three people that put up their hand against the concept for the reasons that roll off nicely and very eloquently explained. I thought the explanation today that we got from ASAC was very clear, and I think that ITF right down through, if you will, a whole panel of experts. I thought it made sense, and following up and reading other things about it. I just don't think what a working group we might set up would actually add to that. I would be happy to follow the lead of ITF. I don't think we need it.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you. Stephen.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: I echo Debbie's comments. If ASAC says this is not a good idea, I am happy to defer it to the experts on that. Besides, we have enough on our plates as it is, with regards to workloads.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you. When you say defer to experts, you mean who exactly?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: ITF and ASAC in a global sense, all 32 or 35 of them, whatever they are.

KATRINA SATAKI: Nigel?

NIGEL ROBERTS: I'm going to mildly disagree with Stephen and Debbie. I think that we heard today some very useful information, some of it for the first time and it is clear with a lot of things like combining [inaudible] that there's a lot that is still unsure and study group, I have no objection to it. I think Stephen is right, we have plenty on, so if you decided not to do it, I wouldn't be at all unhappy. But, if we do it. I seriously caution against doing it in a manner that might be seen as setting policy in contravention of the subsidiary rule.

KATRINA SATAKI: Bart.

BART BOSWINKEL: For avoidance of doubt, I am looking for the terms of reference as adopted. It is definitely, as far as I recall, it's definitely not the intention of the study group to redo the work of the ITF and/or ASAC. It is building on it and it's definitely not the

recommendations are not in the line of asking CCs or suggesting even policies. It is in the line of what maybe some of you will recall from 2009, with respect to wealth guarding. It is first of all seeking additional informations with the ccTLD colleagues, why they use [inaudible] and why they allow it. If they have understood the risk, etc. What the argument was, that's the first step. The second one was, reporting on them and making them aware of the risks. That was the intention of the study group and of the [inaudible]. It is definitely not going over the work of ASAC, going over the work of the ITF. What I will do is recirculate the terms of reference and what my advice would be to revisit this in April.

NIGEL ROBERTS: Thanks Bart, and like I said I am mildly in favor.

KATRINA SATAKI: OK, so the proposal is that we look at the terms of reference once more in light of everything we've heard during this ICANN meeting and then come back to it in April and again, discuss it, think about it, and decide what to do next. OK. If there are no objections, let's move forward. That's the list of our next meetings, first one April, May, June. In June we may meet face-to-face, then again in October. Then we have more or less set all the meeting dates for this year. Now we have agenda item

number 16, that the fun part of our meeting. We have, we already discussed it during our prep meeting on Sunday, we have a proposed procedure in front of us. We still do not know how it all turns out, so I propose we do not spend much time on discussing the procedure, we just move forward and see how it proceeds. Which means that now we start with chair election, and I give chairmanship of this council meeting to Byron.

BYRON HOLLAND: Thank you Katrina. For the role of chair, I would like to ask if there are any nominations for the role of chair. Debbie?

DEBBIE MONAHAN: Katrina Sataki.

BYRON HOLLAND: Any seconders for that?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Second.

BYRON HOLLAND: Stephen, thank you very much. First I should ask, are you willing to accept that Katrina?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes of course, I do.

BYRON HOLLAND: Thank you. By acclamation. Now I am going to ask are there any other proposed nominations? Seeing none, we'll take it as by acclamation. Congratulations and thank you very much madam chairwoman.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much Byron. Next step we'll have to select vice-chairs, the proposal is to have two vice-chairs, we're working very well in this setup. Are there any nominations?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I have two nominations. I have Debbie and I have Byron.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much, first nomination, Debbie. Anyone would like to second. I see Peter, thank you. Seconded by Peter. Second nomination Byron?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Me [inaudible]. I am so far if I don't say anything I will be second place.

KATRINA SATAKI: Good, before anyone. That was very well done. Thank you very much. Any other nominations? No, excellent and what was the term by acclamation.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: You didn't ask if they were willing to accept?

KATRINA SATAKI: Sorry. I forgot, excuse me. Debbie? BYRON HOLLAND? Thank you very much, we are already acclaimed. Thank you very much that is done, we also have a part of consent agenda we have accepted the list of roles and responsibilities for the ccNSO council, for this year. As you can see, so thank you very much for everyone who stepped forward to do the work. We still have two roles to fill. That is rejection action process manager, and approval action process manager. As soon as we adopt the guidelines we will be able to appoint these people too. That's official.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: At some point after this meeting, you'll need to start the procedure to elect or select a new liaison to the GNSO.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes. That we will do right after this meeting. Next agenda item, any other business? Yes please Byron.

BYRON HOLLAND: I just wanted to pick up on the discussion that we had earlier today when we had the presentations by Hiro and Pablo, and the discussion that ensued around some of the disaster mitigation, business continuity planning. It seemed to me that I heard an appetite for potentially the ccNSO doing something beyond the work that the ROs had done. Whether it is until the ops, or the tech day, or in the ccNSO, I would just like to put that forward for the council, to put as an action item to in our next meeting or so, to pick that topic up and think about what we could do with it for the benefit of the broader community.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much and I think there is much to be done. Nigel, please.

NIGEL ROBERTS: I would just like to comment on Byron's suggestion. What I'm hearing is that we might consider using this as a theme for future, one of the two days that we do, disaster recovery or coping with disasters. Just put that out there.

KATRINA SATAKI: This is one of the ideas. I think we could definitely do that. Yes with the help of [inaudible] perhaps. Any other business? Bart please.

BART BOSWINKEL: I just received a message from Hannah Forest on the GNSO liason to the ccNSO council, [inaudible] was confirmed today to be the new GNSO council, so you know this is hot off the press.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you. Then also some items under any other business. During our meeting with the GNSO council we came up with a few, I think 2 action items I think we could work together on and those also should be followed up. Also all the outcomes of our discussions during the workshop on Sunday and during these interactive sessions we had yesterday, also need to be summarized and we could, very efficient, thank you. Then we could think about next steps so that everything that had been said, and every idea that was generated, so that they are not forgotten and we can think about the ways to improve the way we operate, the way we get more volunteers on board. Anyone would like to add anything else? This was.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: There is one item, but I suggest that you defer it to the April meeting. That is the follow-up on the letter to the board around the IDM PDP.

KATRINA SATAKI: True, that is another item that came up after our discussion with the board yesterday. Yes, clearly that's an old document and we need to look into it to make sure that everything is properly addressed. If there are no more any other business then we move forward with thank yous and welcomes. One of the first thank yous goes to no other than Maureen, Maureen. Yes please come. Unfortunately Maureen is leaving in her capacity in ALACs liason to the ccNSO council, but she will be around, she will be vice chair of ALAC and so we will meet again, we will work together to make sure that you do everything properly in your new role.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'd like to thank you all very much. I must admit, I think I conceded in my letter to Katrina I mean, when I first came into this room, within the group. I must admit it was quite daunting, especially when you are following someone like Cheryl Langdon-Orr, I mean she's quite someone. I have to admit, 5 years of being within a group, I certainly learned a lot. I certainly learned too, as I just explained, your systems are very formal but then

you're a business, you run businesses. Within the at-large of course, we are all casual, [inaudible], so our systems aren't as formal. But we try to get the job done, probably not as efficiently as you guys do, but it is great to see the different ways that people operate, the different perspectives, the different views, and it's been really nice to be able to be part of discussions within the ALAC and to be able to say the ccNSO do it this way, and they go, yeah. But, at the same time, it's been also nice to be able to be pass on the sorts of things and concerns that you have and they are similar to the concerns that we have. I would just like to continue our collaboration at working together and just sharing, so we are all doing what we can for us, for the people that use the internet. Thank you very much. Of course, I am sure you will all welcome my follower, Barack, and he has been part of your team anyway for so long, he knows the systems, so it is not going to be so much of a surprise for him.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you very much Maureen. I think that everyone who works in this business knows very well that end users can be really annoying, but we're here to serve you. No matter how annoying you are, we love you, we do. The next is a welcome. With his new hat on, Barack now is the new ALACs liason to the ccNSO council. Welcome Barack. With that, anyone else needs to be

thanked? I mean do we need to thank anyone else before we move to our host? Thank a lot to all participants, thank you very much to all presenters, thanks a lot to all working group members, thank you very much to the ccNSO secretariat who did a great job, thanks a lot to meetings, programs, working group that set our agenda and made sure that we follow it closely. Yes as I already mentioned today and yesterday during welcome and opening, it is a great pleasure to be here. It is great pleasure to stand next to you, and make sure that you recover and we're happy to help you to do so, and you know that anytime you need we are with you and same goes to all ccTLDs. Thank you very much Pablo. I see that Stephen wants.

PABLO:

I, once again, thank you so much to all of you for supporting us all along this [inaudible] that we lived. Thank you for coming here, your presence and your support has made a difference and has sent a big message to the rest of the world that this is not just a club for people to talk about their hobby. It is more much than that, it transcends boundaries and geographical boundaries, we are a real family and we take care of each other. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you very much [inaudible].

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Pablo, I have a question. Since this meeting came off so well, when are we coming back?

PABLO: Only for vacations and on an individual basis.

KATRINA SATAKI: OK. I hope I haven't left out anyone. Thank you very much counsellors, thank you for your trust in me, thank you for your continuous support for your contributions, and have a safe trip back, see you soon.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]