
MARRAKECH – ccNSO: Meetings Programme Committee
Thursday, June 27, 2019 – 13:30 to 15:00 WET
ICANN65 | Marrakech, Morocco

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: This meeting is being recorded.

MANAL ISMAIL: Good afternoon, everyone. Welcome to the ccNSO Meetings Programme Committee face-to-face meeting here in Marrakech. Hope you all had a great day so far, some lunch. Now we need to review what we did this week. In front of you, you can see the agenda. The first thing, welcome. Then we will review what happened here. We need some feedback from the embassy members and feedback from decision chairs if they are here with us. After that, we will have some suggestions from the ccNSO Organizational Review, from the Meridian Institute. We will review them and discuss them. I hope it will be fun. It will be interactive.

After that, we will need to review the tips and tricks for session chairs, and how to increase the level of engagement during the members' meetings. Right before we close, I will make a very brief report on what happened in the ICANN 66 kick-off session that just finished before this meeting. We will have any other business and we will talk about next meeting. So any other topic

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

or do we agree with the agenda? I see nodding heads, so thank you.

Okay. So let's start with reviewing what happened here in Marrakech. Any feedback? Any comments? Anything you would like to say? While you think about it or finish eating, let me start with saying that I found the remote presentation very successful. We were very scared and afraid that it might not work or that we would have technical issues or maybe we wouldn't hear properly or there will be any delay to communicate with them. But it was really good. So I wouldn't say that we will encourage to have more of those, but at least it's a possibility, so please, Barbara, if you can say something else.

BARBARA POVŠE:

I'm also, the presentation was great and also, there was no delay. We were able to communicate with presenters and questions and answers, that were pretty well. For this ccTLD news session, I think it's difficult to predict what amount do people need to present their subject and then how much interest will that then be in the audience because my feeling was, I saw presentations before. I had a feeling that people will ask question after first presentation, but there were, except for the remote participant, none. But then, my feeling was that people would gladly discuss, really, there was a lot of interest for

dot-NZ presentation and also dot-AU, so and we needed to cut this off because of the time limits. So it's, but on the other hand, last time, there was too much time and we didn't exactly know how to fill the time. And so it's hard to predict.

MANAL ISMAIL:

We need to be a little bit of future readers because we cannot predict that. But I agree that it's good to have enough time as in it's better that, well, it's not ideal. But we could end early if necessary than to be running too much. That's my ...

BARBARA POVŠE:

Maybe it would be an idea that we have something there prepared just in case if it turns out that there is still 20 minutes that we agree before what subject or what do we want to do to ask participants to present something short. It doesn't really mean that it has to be some ccTLD news. Maybe something that we want to discuss with members, and then if it's time, we do it. If there's no time, we just don't do it so that we have prepared something in our pocket and if we see that there's an opportunity.

MANAL ISMAIL:

I think that's an excellent idea. Of course, we need to think about it. Another thing that I think it would be a good idea if we

have any other remote presentation is for the Chair to have access to the chat because I noticed that there were questions being done in the chat room that none of us that were outside the Zoom room saw and then we didn't know what were they responding. But somehow, we need to make that come up. But it was a first experience so I think it's super valid.

Microphone, please.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You can also open the chat window on the screen, on the big screen and everyone would see the questions are [inaudible].

MANAL ISMAIL: Excellent. Yes. Now we know that we need to do that. Any other comments on any other session? Yes, Young Eum?

YOUNG EUM LEE: Well, I'd just like to make a general comment that I think the cc meetings are becoming, or have become, more active than before. It's much, well, I find myself engaging in it much more so I guess it's in part thanks to you. But I really like the various sort of things that we are trying.

MANAL ISMAIL: Thank you. Thank you very much, Young Eum. I did hear some feedback regarding the dynamics of the session. Some people told me that they really liked when either chairs or presenters walked in the room because I know this is not easy to do because we like to stay in a safe place and in one place, but moving around the room also brings the session closer to the participants. So maybe, and it could be another advice for presenters, to try to move a little bit more, like to actually grab the microphone and move. I know it might be difficult for participants, for the camera to follow or anything. But still, the audio will help. It's just a comment I received and this time, we didn't use the barstools too much, but I think they were used okay as in maybe there were too many panelists and they were in the back and the chair of the session was in the barstool and I think that was great because it break that barrier. Yes, Young Eum?

YOUNG EUM LEE: I think just the presence of the barstool sort of makes the presenters and others, and the Chairs, much more sort of obliged to engage people.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes. It's like a psychological effect, right? Any other comments, suggestions? Yes, Patricio.

PATRICIO POBLETE: There was a comment from Peter Van Roste. Peter, did you see it?

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes, I did.

PATRICIO POBLETE: Yeah. Do we have anything to say about that?

MANAL ISMAIL: Well, I haven't think of anything to say right now. But do you, Katrina?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. I just wanted to say that I think he is a member of the MPC, right?

MANAL ISMAIL: He is an observer. Yes.

KATRINA SATAKI: Observer. Yeah, okay. As observer, well, we really welcome any comments from our observers on how to improve the agenda.

MANAL ISMAIL: Before the fact, right?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes. It's always helpful. Yeah.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: That is the reason why the regional organizations are participating in the members or in the MPC. Say Barak is and [Nacho] and Leonid are also observers. They are also observers.

MANAL ISMAIL: Sorry, Bart. But I cannot hear you because the air conditioning is really loud. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: But I think others are not observers on MPC. Are they?

MANAL ISMAIL: All the regional, I think.

KATRINA SATAKI: Nacho and Barak, are they observers? Are they? Okay.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If anybody hasn't seen Peter's comment, it's basically about he measured, kept a running count, I think, and 76% of the time of the ccNSO was spent on things that are organizational and process issues, and only 24% was new and substantive matters. That's his criticism and I think as MPC, we might want to see if we agree or not and if that's good or bad, that's that the split of the use of our time.

MANAL ISMAIL: I think we do need to discuss it. Maybe not right now, but certainly in our next call when we start to look for subjects for our next meeting in Montreal, and maybe we can all think about it and say what, how to balance it and what is good or not good because in the end, of course, we need to have ICANN-related topics in ICANN meetings. So I will request for everyone to think about it and we will come back to this on our next call. Yes, Barbara?

BARBARA POVŠE: I'd just like to suggest to thank you, Peter, because he means, I know him well. He means really just well, not criticize because of critics.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes, it's not taken as a bad comment. Yes.

BARBARA POVŠE: And we should really invite him to participate as much as possible with his suggestions because he is experienced and maybe he's got some suggestion that we didn't think of.

MANAL ISMAIL: No. Completely agree and Peter used to be very active in our calls. I'm not sure if he had a, maybe conflict in the time that we're having the calls or something, but certainly, we will reach out to him to let him know and we know that it's not a bad intention, right? Yes?

JIAN ZHANG: Some comments. Some comments from members said we spend a lot of time on policy process, update the policy process progress, and they would like to hear more what's going on with other registries. It's more like other registries' marketing or

operational program issues that they want to share. So that's some comments from members.

So I know we have a certain time block for each part of the program, but I'm not sure if that's flexible or it has to be that way.

MANAL ISMAIL:

It is flexible and we can mold it the way we think it will be better for our community, but taking into consideration that this is a policy forum, that's why it's heavily on the policy side of things. That was the intention of the agenda. So that's why. And also, we tend to have other sessions like marketing or legal, when the call for volunteers comes.

So we launch the call for volunteers and when we receive all the presentations, then we know if we have enough material to build these other sessions. So, so far, the ones that presented were the ones that we had and we can only make another one if we have the volunteers. So that's one. I saw a hand here. No? Okay, maybe it was my hair. So that's the reason. But definitely, it will change in Montreal because this was the policy forum.

Any other comment, suggestion? Yes, Hiro?

HIRO HOTTA:

Yes, I'm sorry I couldn't attend almost all of the meetings this time because I have an appointment for RSSAC and something, so. But, for example, ten or 15 years ago, the sessions, as far as I remember, the sessions are mostly substantive for registry operation and registry policies and something like that. But as Peter mentioned, the ratio of the policy, not registration policy, organizational policy or structure discussions are growing and growing. Maybe, for example, it's a [inaudible] but the average age of the attendees may be growing older and older because I became 20 years older, so I think we need to attract younger people from the ccTLD world.

To do that, maybe as some of us think that the content of the service or the registration service, such topics should be more attractive, not just ccTLD [inaudible] session. Thank you.

MANAL ISMAIL:

Well, thank you, Hiro. I think, then, that we need to think of a strategy to make those topics happen because right now, we rely on the call for volunteers and that's when we want to know about the community, right? So maybe we can think of some other way, like we know of someone who could give a good presentation. We can contact them and then we can make that happen. Yes, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: I think that is a great idea, but I think about five or six years, the MPC at the time embarked on such a thing. So to add more thematic sessions and try to find presenters, and that didn't work out either so we went back, or you went back to say you got the ccTLD news session and that goes from left to right and from up to down, what is presented. It is new, and therefore, from a ccTLD perspective, interesting. And sometimes you are able to cluster these things in, for example, a legal session.

But, say, keeping this constantly in mind is probably a very wise way of dealing with topics and to keep it interesting for ccTLDs. But yeah, it needs to be updated and more thought through in a kind of strategy and also in contingencies, how do you deal with it and maybe also review the role of the MPC, how active or inactive should it be in seeking presenters, etc.

MANAL ISMAIL: Thank you. Thank you very much, Bart. I agree. I remember being in charge of the marketing session, chasing everyone around the world. But I think we should think of a new strategy among ourselves and maybe discuss it in our next call what ideas we have because right now, what went on top of my head was to actually get the help of the regional organizations because they do their own thing by themselves and they have a

sense on what’s happening on their region so they know whom we might contact for certain topics. Yes, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL:

And in addition, this goes back to what you just discussed. One of the things the MPC or issues the MPC and the regional organizations were facing is you don’t want to have the same presentation twice and that’s the risk of going down a topical approach that somebody is invited to give a presentation because the presentation was so nice, for example, at the LACTLD meeting or it was so interesting at the APTLD meeting so let’s do it at the ccNSO meeting itself as well. So that’s, it’s also to avoid overlap so the community is served best. That was not a reason and something to take into consideration.

MANAL ISMAIL:

Yes, definitely we don’t want full overlap, but it’s important to know that what happens in Europe and maybe in Africa, it doesn’t get the same. They don’t know what’s going on there. But thank you, Bart.

Any other suggestions, comments, ideas? No? Yes, Bart.

BART BOSWINKEL: Maybe one question. Just by chance, everybody stayed in the room during the GAC ccNSO meeting. There was just an update to the GAC on the two policy development-related topics, retirement and the IDN ccTLD. The first question is did you miss the engagement with the GAC as member? Secondly, say it results, say that you had half an hour. It's almost like something that comes up which is of interest, it allows something to organize and have a session which is reasonable in duration, which is very actual like the SOBC exercise and maybe other things as well, and what you could do on the fly because you had the room to do it. Maybe that's something to take into account in scheduling the meetings that you have a kind of half an hour somewhere just to put in an interesting topic that was circulating around at the meeting. So it's kind of spare space for something else. But that's why ...

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes, Katrina?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, thank you. Just to explain how we, on a related note, our interaction with GAC. So to explain how we set up agenda with GAC. Before some years ago, I don't know, we came up with something and then we went and talking to them. Now we have one person from the ccNSO Council and one person from the

GAC leadership and we try to agree on agenda, but I'm just thinking maybe MPC could also get involved in thinking about topics to discuss with GAC to make it more interesting to the community because, well, I have to say that the process, okay, it's better than it used to be but there's still room for improvement because I feel that we still cannot have a meaningful interaction. I don't know if that's even possible.

BART BOSWINKEL:

Probably if you look critically at the sessions with the GAC, and maybe I'm too critical, it's a one-way street. Unless you're at the end, which is very important – don't get me wrong – but it is one directional and only at the end of certain developments, you see there is a real interaction and that's a very, very valuable interaction. Don't get me wrong either. The best example is probably at the end of the FoI, when the Framework of Interpretation was done and we had, I don't know what it was and when. But say there was almost two sessions and one hour full of very intense discussions and the GAC understood. They were late, but still, they tried to do their best to accommodate everything else. That was a very, very valuable session and that's why you see people from the Retirement Working Group, they are constantly hammering about, "We need GAC members. We need GAC members." But that's something probably to do as

well, say, what is, what do you want to get out of the interaction with the GAC, yeah, before we embark?

MANAL ISMAIL: Thank you. Thank you. I agree. So that's another homework for our next call. We need to think what we want to do regarding the GAC. Yes, Barbara?

BARBARA POVŠE: But I think that, well, I know it wasn't just a GAC session, but DoH session was at the end, the debate and I don't know how much did GAC members participate but the questions that were asked at the DoH session were very valid and interesting. So I think that was one of the best sessions. It was very interactive.

BART BOSWINKEL: You mean the one in Kobe?

BARBARA POVŠE: Oh, no, no, no.

BART BOSWINKEL: No, but that was a high interest topic. Yeah.

KATRINA SATAKI: So I think not too many GAC members, if any, asked questions. Yeah, but I just remember our DoH session in Kobe. They stared blankly. So either it really, like, helped them to look into the issue or there was some more advanced GAC members. Yes, please?

BART BOSWINKEL: Maybe that's something for you, like the DoH session, it was more or less organized in the way we, in the past, before the transition caught up with everything, panel discussions were organized on the Wednesday afternoon for the ccNSO and, say, the way that that one was structured and the ones in [inaudible], say we gained a lot of experience as a community with the panel discussions and some of them were very, very interesting. There was no resolution or anything at all. But it's just having that conversation.

KATRINA SATAKI: Actually, I really miss those panel discussions. If we could come up with something to let them get engaged.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes, Joke?

JOKE BRAEKEN: so in this room right after this meeting, the Internet Governance Liaison Committee is meeting and one of the ideas raised by the Chair is to have a panel discussion on Internet governance with topics relevant for ccTLDs in Montreal. Thank you.

MANAL ISMAIL: So now we have a place to start. I think we're having a really great conversation and we have a lot of homework. I hope you are taking notes. Otherwise, I know Joke will remind us of our homework. We need a lot to think for our next meeting. But now I need to close the discussion so we can move on with the agenda. And now we will have the review suggestions from the ccNSO Organizational Review. So, please.

I see candy in the room.

BART BOSWINKEL: Maybe explain why the, Kristy and Mallorie were asked to attend this and to provide their observations. It's, I'll do it.

MANAL ISMAIL: I'll let Katrina. Okay.

BART BOSWINKEL: Okay. The reason was if you go back to and you haven't, so you didn't spend much time in – that was yesterday, was it –

yesterday on the suggestions included in the report because it was focused on the recommendations. But if you look at the suggestions and look at the findings, there is a lot about the interaction at members meetings and how to engage the community and there is a critical role in that process for the MPC because you set the agenda and everything else for the members meeting and that's probably almost the core of, say, what the ccNSO brings to members.

So, say after talking, say, with Alejandra and Katrina, Meridian was invited to present their findings and focus them on the role of the MPC and maybe it could be of help for you in your future work of the MPC, just have an outside look on what you were doing and are doing, and how to move forward.

KRISTY BUCKLEY:

Thank you, Bart, and good afternoon, everyone. I'm Kristy Buckley with Meridian Institute. This is my colleague, Mallorie Bruns. Thank you for inviting us in. As Bart mentioned, we've been invited to share some of the draft suggestions that are relevant to the MPC that came through the review. And one of the things that we thought about in planning for this session is that we also want to try to model interaction, right? It's one thing to come in here and say, "Well, here's what all these people said about suggestions for how to make sessions more

interactive or change the format,” and it’s another to also demonstrate that in real time.

So we’re going to be a little bit interactive in the time that we have today so I hope you’ll bear with us and allow us to experiment a little bit.

So the first – I want to see if this works. What do I do here? How do I move it down? Ah, okay.

So just the agenda, we’ll do a quick icebreaker, both one here in the room. Salud. And also just share some of the ideas around icebreakers that may be helpful. We’ll review the suggestions relevant from the review and share and discuss additional ideas that you may have, some of which you just shared in the previous discussion. And then we’ll attempt to test out electronic polling software just to collect additional input and just see how it works in case you want to use it for future sessions.

So the icebreaker, we’re going to ask that you stand up in groups of four to five people, the fewer the better and we’ll ask you to come up with a list of the things that you all have in common among four or five people in your group. For those of you that are joining remotely or virtually, you can use the chat function to come up with a list of things that you have in common. We’ll take about five minutes to do this and then whoever has the

longest list of things in common will get a prize at the end. So take five minutes. Stand up. Groups of four or five, things that you've all got in common.

One more minute, folks.

Okay, folks. Do your final tally. We're going to see who has the longest list of things in common. Okay, time is up. Everyone take a seat. I see some long lists going on over here.

So just by a show of hands, can anyone beat this list over here in the front corner? Anyone have more than this one? I can't read any of it, but ...

So anyone from this group just want to share a couple of the highlights? Go ahead. Use the mic.

KATRINA SATAKI:

We are not [bought] yet and we're all liars. We all have dry sense of humor and we can count and read and write. And we all love swimming. We all had wine during the ccNSO cocktail and yeah, many other things. Actually, we are very, very similar. Thank you very much.

KRISTY BUCKLEY:

Raise your hand if you're in this group. Excellent. Bravo. That was some quick work. Anyone else want to share? What was the

most surprising commonality in your group? Anything really interesting other than you have two eyeballs or you all drink wine? Yes. Please, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Worries.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Okay, worries. All right. Anyone else? Bart, what did you get over there?

BART BOSWINKEL: What is an interesting one, level of education, Master or higher.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Wow. Okay. That group didn't get to that. And was there anyone on the chat? There's a list. No, okay. And was there anyone on the chat? There's a list. No. Okay. Yeah?

BART BOSWINKEL: It's very important for this group. We're all non-native English speakers.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Very important. I imagine there's a lot.

KATRINA SATAKI: But in our group, we all speak more than one language.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: That's good. That's great. Cool.

BART BOSWINKEL: [inaudible]

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Okay. So the next activity is to use this polling software, so thanks for doing that icebreaker. You don't need an app. You just need access to the Internet. If you type in this address, pollev.com/meridian, and apologies that it's our name, but this is just a demo. But in the future, you could name it whatever you want. And we're just going to use this for a couple of questions throughout the session as we go through, so keep that open on your browser. You can use your computer, your phone, whichever is easier. Once the question is up, yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Everybody get the link? It's on this over here, too.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Why did it change? I didn't respond.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: So you should see, you should be able to click anywhere on the image with your mouse or your finger on your phone. What country do you live in? And I'll say that for this particular software, you can use any clickable image. So you can put any image up here. It could be a spectrum of colors. It could be your favorite flower. It could be what's your favorite planet. Whatever image you want and people can click on it and you can show the results in real time.

Okay. Sorry, we can't zoom in. But you could, for instance, you could upload your own map, right? So you could make it a bit more zoomed in or show the countries or even a region.

Okay. Next one.

MALLORIE BRUNS: Should be slightly easier.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: This one should be easier. Again, just to give you an example, how are you feeling today? So for instance, this could be used after a session to get a sense, similar to how you use the temperature cards. How did you feel about this session? How

useful was it? Do you like it, not like it? Are you yellow? Are you green?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Happy bunch.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Happy bunch.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Looking happy.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Okay. And then just to give you a couple of other, there are so many different icebreakers and we know that you're probably very well familiar with them but a couple that we thought of that might be useful in the ccNSO context would be to line up alphabetically by ccTLD name around the room or line up by the number of years as a ccNSO member or ask people to find a partner [to] near them – ideally, not someone that they already know – and ask each other if you could know the answer to one thing, what would it be, most memorable experience from the ccNSO or as a ccTLD manager, a question that you would like to ask a famous person, your favorite author, astronaut, and so on. Just some food for thought on the icebreakers.

BART BOSWINKEL: Just a question. When would you use this, icebreakers?

KRISTY BUCKLEY: So typically, at the start of a meeting, people are just getting in. They're maybe not quite awake yet. They haven't really talked to each other yet. They haven't seen each other for three or four months, it's good. But also, if you feel like the energy in the room is slumped, right? So oftentimes, after lunch, people are kind of dragging and tired so it's good to get people moving around after a bunch of presentations. Again, it's just a way of forcing people to interact with one another a bit.

BART BOSWINKEL: so it should not have a relation or it doesn't have a relation with a topic. It's just a separate item to start the, to create a kind of cooperative atmosphere, collaborative atmosphere in the room.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Yeah. It changes the energy in the room a little bit. Please.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I think especially for the CCs, that map exercise would be a very interesting exercise so that we sort of know where everyone else is from.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Yeah. Okay, so Mallorie is going to present some of the draft suggestions that are relevant to the Meetings Programme Committee and there's a longer list of suggestions in the report but we just pulled out the ones that were really most relevant to you all, so she'll quickly walk through those and then we'll do a little bit more interaction at the end.

MALLORIE BRUNS: Hi, everyone. Thanks for being here. I hope you're awake after our icebreaker and be ready. We're going to give more candy away for those of you who are here. So stay awake.

Okay, I'm going to go very quickly. So I know you all think very hard and work hard to plan interesting meetings. So here's some ideas. During your ccNSO meetings, think about having panels with rapid fire Q&A sessions. Katrina did a great job opening the meeting, running the microphone around to people so you can recruit volunteers to help run around the room and pass it out to get people to ask questions of panelists is one idea. You have this great tool in the mailing list. I know you all have. You ask for volunteers.

You can also do outreach as you were just discussing, trying to get high interest topics because one of the things we heard is

people are hungry to have the meetings more focused on timely topics and maybe, perhaps, do less topics but integrate more conversations on the topics. So you'll have presentations and then have small group discussions or that kind of thing.

You can also, as we just showed you, use any kind of polling software in advance of meetings or during meetings as we just showed you to, you could use the maps. And you can also, you have your color cards. This is just kind of an extension of that idea of getting feedback from the room. Anything you want to add on that, Kristy? Okay.

So one other thing you might want to consider, you can have very, very short surveys using Survey Monkey or other really simple tools and send it out through a mailing list. You could ask specific groups like your work group or committee chairs or co-chairs, "What is the biggest issue that you're facing right now? What do you really want input from the community on?" to help you with the priorities you're working on so you could do that as a way to identify high priority topics.

You could also send out a very short, like a two-question survey to all of the members to help you ID topics that are timely and do this. I know you, I'm assuming you plan the agendas for the meetings well in advance so it would be like now for subsequent

ICANN meetings. And so polling surveys are helpful for us as well. You want to do this one?

KRISTY BUCKLEY:

Sure. So on the program ideas relating back to your earlier discussion about what we heard from folks, there were some suggestions that thinking about the third meeting of the year, reserving that second members day meeting for different programming such as cross-community sessions, collaboration between GNSO and ccNSO, you talked about the interaction between GAC and ccNSO, other folks, similar to what you mentioned, Bart, about the policy or legal or communications, and it sounds like you've tried different ways of getting out this. But people like the format of Tech Day and they thought maybe there's an opportunity to talk about, can we talk about more than just technology but also policy or legal version of Tech Day. And it sounds like there needs to be a combination of kind of demand-driven but also supply-oriented, like who can you actually get to present and how do you organize that into themes? So I think taking that earlier conversation into account what we heard, I think it's a combination of where is their demand and how do you link that up with where you can get volunteers and material, right?

MALLORIE BRUNS:

One other quick note on the cross-community sessions, I know it's really hard with busy schedules at ICANN meetings to get entire communities into the room at the same time, so you might even think about having a panel with representatives from the different community groups so you're trying to schedule 500 people to be in the room at the same time. That is one option. But I know scheduling is tough so you could have a cross-community panel or things like that.

So there are a couple of ideas with regards to capacity building, which is not entirely related to the MPC but we thought it could be useful to inform some of your thinking. So a lot of people emphasized continued capacity building. Obviously, there's a lot of resources, materials, orientation efforts that you already have in place. People really like that and they'd like to see that continue and maybe even more of it. There was one example that we wanted to flag here in case anyone was at ICANN 47 in Durbin. We weren't there. I don't know what the format was, but people really liked the capacity building sessions at that and they would like to see some variation or replication of that in the future, so we wanted to flag that as well.

And then this is something that we talked a little bit about in preparation for the session, which is, and you also mentioned it earlier about articulating the goal. What do you want to get out of a session, so whether it's ccNSO GAC or whether it's a panel of

presentations or a workshop or capacity building that you're trying to do in the room. We like to think of it as sort of reverse engineering, so figuring out what is your goal, what is your objective for the session and then considering what are the process design options to achieve that.

So we give a couple of illustrative examples here. So if your goal is information sharing, some process options for that are small groups, presentations, mailing lists, newsletter. If your goal is to build agreement, having working groups or committees that are focusing on that topic in particular, using polling or survey software to get priorities from the community and also making sure that you're building a shared understanding of the problem and solutions. So this is, again, just the main message is to first figure out what you want to end up as your outcome or your goal and then go backwards to figure out how do you design a process and a strategy to get there.

And so of those that you just heard, this is an opportunity to, again, put some input on the polling software. So were there ideas that you just heard or others that you have on your own or that you've seen work well in previous meetings or in other conferences that you've been? So this is an opportunity to put that into, not with sentences and sentences, but a short version of that into the polling software. And then as the inputs, the responses come in, you should be able to vote on the ones that

really resonate. So we'll add a few on our own just to give you an example.

So this is a way of collecting a whole bunch of ideas from a large community and then getting sense of prioritization from the community on which ones are really rising to the top for people. So take a few minutes and add some ideas or input some that resonated with you on what we saw and heard from the community and the review. Giving away candies. Yeah, that's going to be high.

So we're seeing a lot of polling and then you don't have to re=enter polling. You could just vote it up if you agree with a response that's already in there. So you could imagine right now you use the temperature cards which is a great way of very quickly getting a sense of the room. But if you need to go a little bit deeper, this helps give you some options for getting that qualitative input and then getting a sense of where people are sitting on it. Yes, please.

PATRICIO POBLETE:

I'm a big fan of polling in the classroom when I teach, but I've suggested in the past that we use and we have the cards. We could be doing it all the time but we don't mostly. And it seems to me that this is because of a lack of discussion topics where people would disagree. I don't think we have many of those

because polls are interesting when you have a difference of opinions, but we don't see that very often.

BART BOSWINKEL: May I ask you how much time did you spend in prepping these questions?

KRISTY BUCKLEY: Twenty minutes maybe.

BART BOSWINKEL: Because I think this works and I agree with Patricio. It works if you have prepared questions and that's one of the things. That's why, at least in my view, why we hardly use these polling questions or these cards is people do not prepare questions properly. And say asking a [inaudible] depends very much on the questions asked.

PATRICIO POBLETE: One useful trick that was introduced by a professor from Harvard, Eric Mazur, is you have a discussion topic, then you do a poll at the beginning to see what do people think coming into this discussion. Then you hold the discussion and then you ask the people to vote again and see how opinions shifted because of the discussion.

KRISTY BUCKLEY:

Yeah, so it may be that this is a way to invite more views, more participation, and it's less so of trying to understand where there's agreement or disagreement, right? So there's all different variations of where and how you could use this. And so for instance, if the MPC is looking for ideas or here's a whole lot of ideas similar to what you did in Kobe with the flip charts, right? You said, "What are the sessions that we should have at every meeting versus only sometimes?" So it's good to get people up and moving around. If you don't have the luxury of time or the space doesn't allow that, this is a quick way of getting that input as well.

Okay, so just to give you a sense of that and then we have one last poll here which is in one or two words, what's your description of the ccNSO community?

Some people have already figured out that you can submit more than one answer. So again, we hope this is useful just to give you some food for thought and to share some of the reflections that we heard from the interviews and the survey and talking with many of you in the community on suggestions for improving interaction, participation, engagement. And overall, you have a wonderful community as exemplified by the lovely words that you're seeing on the screen. And we encourage you to continue

the good work that you're doing and we're around if you need any help or if you've got any questions. Thank you.

MALLORIE BRUNS:

There's just one last thought I would like to share is I know doing small groups can be kind of daunting. But, and especially room set-up, I know, can be an issue when you have people in long rows of tables. It's hard to do small groups. But I think they're a great way to get people talking to each other. There's, people want the opportunity to talk. It's intimidating getting up behind a microphone and talking in front of a room of 100 people and it's also a good way. Often in our work, we'll have a small group and you have people in the group decide what kind of roles they'll take. So often, you'll ask a volunteer to help kind of run the discussion. You can give every group a common set of questions on the front of the room on the screen and also ask them to identify someone who can report out from the group. And you can say, "We don't want the reporters to be people who normally talk. We don't want the work group chairs to be the reporters. We want new voices." So I think the more you can get people talking to each other and get them used to talking in front of the group and make it slightly less intimidating behind a microphone when it's appropriate. I understand the microphone certainly has its uses and it's great. But I guess that would be my biggest piece of advice is people are more comfortable talking in

small groups. So really great being here with everyone. Love working with all of you, so thanks for listening.

KRISTY BUCKLEY: And we have more candy for anyone who wants it. Thank you.

MANAL ISMAIL: Thank you very much, Kristy and Mallorie. This was an excellent exercise. I think we all see the benefits of how to plan more interactive sessions. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Okay. Coming back to our agenda, now we after having all these recommendations, it's time for us to review the tips and tricks for session chairs, and also how to increase the level of engagement during the members meeting. So now that we have some –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

MANAL ISMAIL: Yeah, I know. There were some suggestions, but maybe we can already see something that we can improve. Yes, will you guide us through presenters? Well, whatever. I leave it to you.

JOKE BRAEKEN:

I just wanted to go over the briefing document that we have for the session chairs. It's not the idea that we have a final version by the end of this meeting so it's also an invitation to do homework to you, to have a look at the ccNSO website and to have a look at these documents that are posted there on the section dedicated to the Meeting Programme Committee.

So if you remember well, we have two types of tips and tricks. One is for session chairs. One is for presenters. So the briefing for the session chairs really explains the role of the session chair, which is focused on keeping track of the time, encouraging people to share their knowledge and also to make sure that the session runs in an orderly manner. And, of course, to invite discussion from the audience and to make sure that the audience is engaged as well.

So in terms of logistics, there are some tips and tricks there. It's quite basic. One moment so that I can scroll in my document. I hope this works. So regarding ... Can you hear me okay? Regarding the moving of the slides, you've heard that many people say, "Next slide, next slide, next slide," That's a bit annoying, so if the session chairs could help the presenters in locating the clicker, the little remote control, so that presenters can move the slides themselves, that makes it a little bit more attractive to listen to.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah. But I don't know if that works all the time because some presenters tried the clicker first, it didn't work, and then started asking you to move the slides.

JOKE BRAEKEN: I think we need Kim's input for that. I don't know what the reason for that might be. No. I know that the presentation needs to be shared from the in-room presentation laptop in order for the clicker to work, so it might be related to that.

And yeah, the time tracker. I think we need to update this one because we haven't used it since the past couple of meetings. I don't even know where it is, and to be honest, it's difficult to use. It was kind of a traffic light, which you had to set for each presenter so you allow their maximum time and then at a certain point in time, it became orange when you approach the end of ...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There must be a [map] for that.

BART BOSWINKEL: But I think, say, with this document in the back of the ... Let me stand back. Sorry. If you look at the last couple of meetings, I

think overrunning, etc. is becoming less and less of a problem because we got more and more experienced session chairs and they know what to do. There is plenty of time for question and answers and so it is not as necessary anymore to have something like a time tracker. As a session chair, you're in the position to speed it up or expand it and that's one of the things that failed in the past probably is because you just had presenters and they just went on and on and on, and the role of the session chair was less clear. So maybe it's more a question of whether it's needed, or say, breaking up for educating and working with the session chairs.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: I will suggest, well not to remove it because it is a tool that we have, just to know that it's available. I think that we don't have it anymore maybe. Okay, since we don't have it then we should remove it. But otherwise, if we did, just to note that it's a tool and I agree with Bart. The timekeeping has been incredible in the past meetings so maybe there's no need for that visual aid for everyone to see if they are on time or not.

JOKE BRAEKEN: I am happy to raise a card. It's a little bit less technological and I feel a little bit more comfortable in doing that.

BART BOSWINKEL: You can always use a sledgehammer.

JOKE BRAEKEN: The next one, walking moderators and session chairs. This is really something that has proven to work. We started experimenting with that and in Kobe, continued as well and here in Marrakech. And yeah, it decreases the barrier between the audience and those that are talking in the front. So that really is very helpful, also especially because of the barstools.

Another important trick or tip is to prepare together with a presenter. I know it's not always easy because the slides very often come in last minute. But we are happy to facilitate that conversation between you and the presenters and if there is any need for you to reach out to them or to bring you in touch with people you don't know, please let the secretariat know.

MANAL ISMAIL: Just a quick observation, I think that is one of the most important things for the chairs because sometimes maybe the audience is still digesting what has been said. I don't know what to ask or how to ask it and, while they are thinking about it, if the Chair starts with the question, then that gives the time and you

don't get that awful silence that nobody will ask a question so I think that's very, very important.

BART BOSWINKEL: Question. Did you have a pre-meeting call with the session chairs as we did before Kobe? At the meeting, yeah, we did a face-to-face. But so what we did the first time before Kobe, we introduced this document with the session chairs two or three weeks before the meeting.

JOKE BRAEKEN: [inaudible]

BART BOSWINKEL: Yeah, the session chairs.

JOKE BRAEKEN: [inaudible]

MANAL ISMAIL: May I? Sorry. Can you use the microphone please?

JOKE BRAEKEN: Sorry. I think this time this was not necessary because all the chairs were the old chairs, so we got this document again. Yeah. Okay, okay, not old but more experienced. Yeah, thank you.

MANAL ISMAIL: On the other hand, just a quick note. Always we have the time between the first meeting and the second meeting, so short, so actually, we didn't even have the time to plan it but even though it's the same usual chairs, I think it's worth refreshing and maybe we will have new chairs. So even so, if we have new and usual, then can be some good feedback. Yes, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: Maybe because one of the reasons why I'm thinking about this, and going back to one of the suggestions, is that we use that call to bring the MPC informs the session chair why this was organized at this session and what to expect. So the chairs can prepare before the meeting, before they start traveling on the topic itself.

KATRINA SATAKI: One more thing, I think it was a little bit annoying that we only had one mic that we needed to share between presenters so you had to pull it in front of. It was difficult to invite people to ask questions while he was still, so two mics.

MANAL ISMAIL: Totally agree.

PATRICIO POBLETE: I was going to say the same thing. I found that we needed more mics and also I think we haven't made up our minds whether we want people to walk to the mics or take the mics to them.

MANAL ISMAIL: Well, I think my sense was that some people are comfortable standing up because it gives them a chance to stretch and have their blood circulating and some are really shy. So they want to speak but they don't want to move, so we should have both options.

PATRICIO POBLETE: But if you want to do that, you have to add, to have more mics.

MANAL ISMAIL: Completely agree. Completely agree. And since we are on the topic, the next, I think we all have the homework to review the documents. But I would like to talk about now the presenter's side. There is, we talked really briefly with Joke about an idea of making maybe also a call or a webinar for presenters, especially for people maybe who it's the first time they will present to us,

just to let them know the tips and tricks and dos and don'ts and to make them more comfortable to interact with the audience because, well, we saw all kinds of presentations. Even those that have more interactive things like videos, they need to know, okay, if you're having a video, let us know beforehand so it can be displayed, for example. Or we have some people that are really scared to speak in public for the first time and they have this huge room with lots of people and they freeze, for example. So just this is the idea. Maybe we will discuss and how to do it and what ideas are good to tell them even though, of course, we know we give them the document and there is everything there is to know but there is nothing like interacting with someone and let them know why. Why is this important and how to be less scared or more comfortable. Does that sound like a good idea? Yes?

Okay. Yes, Hiro?

HIRO HOTTA:

Yes. How about making a video record of some presentation in ccTLD meeting and put it up on the ccNSO website, for example, for the newcomers to see what kind of atmosphere is the [presenter] is [made].

MANAL ISMAIL: Well, that’s a good idea. We can do that. Souleymane?

SOULEYMANE OUMTANAGA: What I want to say is if you want to increase the audience of ccNSO, you must have good ideas. So to collect what is needed in the countries, for example, and to have also good presenters, the person who is going to present the topics must be very good to prepare the PowerPoint, I think, and all the things. For example, in Africa, we have a lot of problems of delegation of re-delegation, automatic registry, for example, DNS industry or the topics are very interesting for us.

So it’s better to include it in the meetings, in the next meeting, if it is possible because this is what I want to say. Thank you.

MANAL ISMAIL: Thank you, Souleymane. Definitely we will take those topics into consideration for the next meeting. So we agree that we should do either a webinar or a call for presenters. Yes? I think so. I don’t see any objections and I see nodding heads. So thank you. Yes, Pablo? Patricio, sorry. I’m so sorry.

PATRICIO POBLETE: Okay. I forgot what I was going to say or what Pablo was going to say. This thing with using videos in your presentations, they

almost always don't work or they require additional work to finally be able to run the video. So people should consider whether it's really worth the effort, or perhaps, do a rehearsal before.

MANAL ISMAIL:

Completely agree. I think there were more issues with using Adobe Connect than Zoom, and I spoke to Kim about this because of the issue that we had with dot-AU and, well, she didn't know that that was going to happen. So she told me, "If I had known, it would be a more smooth transition and it didn't require to stop and lose time." So both things. One, to say in advance that they are going to use that, and two, just to do a run-up just to see that everything works.

BART BOSWINKEL:

That is the reason why Joke always reaches out to the presenters, "Please, please, please send it two weeks in advance," and then one week in advance, "Please, please send it out now, so we can test them." And when do we receive them? One day in advance or even an hour.

JOKE BRAEKEN:

Bart, we are not the best examples, okay.

BART BOSWINKEL: But I've learned. I've learned what to do, make them as Zen as possible.

MANAL ISMAIL: Okay, thank you very much and moving on with the agenda, unless there is any other comment on the tips and tricks, either for chairs or for presenters. Yes, Joke?

JOKE BRAEKEN: This is the document that you see now on screen that was introduced before the Kobe meeting, and just wanted to bring your attention one more time to this document if you could also please review this one. It is a start to what the [inaudible] examiner just presented, I think, with the idea of making sure that you have a clear idea of what the goal is of the session, what would you like to achieve, and we define those three. My brain is thinking faster than I can speak.

MANAL ISMAIL: Levels of involvement?

BART BOSWINKEL: Maybe this document and you discuss this. I know this because I was present at that call of the MPC. This is about when people

start thinking of topics, when you start thinking about topics, also start to think about what you want to, what's the goal of the topic, what's the goal of the presentation because that drives the format. And if you want to have, say, this is the claim of every session needs to be interactive. No, it doesn't. You don't need to have [inaudible] charge of icebreakers for every session. You need to be sure that the format and content match and it just could be a presentation is good enough, but you make it as lively as possible and it could be just questions interspersed in the presentation, that's one, or the way you present it.

But I think the MPC needs to think through what they want to get out of a session and what they want to get out of a presentation because that drives the type of format that the session will [raise] and that's what this document is about. And I think you discussed this before the Kobe meeting because then you could list, you could very clearly distinguish this is an interactive session, so we need to have flip charts, etc. in the room or other means, for example, the polling tools. In other sessions, like the ccTLD news session, most of it is presentation but even presentations do not need to be [talking heads]. It could be interactive. Now, one of the roles of the session chairs is driving [inaudible]. Thank you.

MANAL ISMAIL: Thank you. Thank you, Bart. Thank you, Joke. Definitely that document can be also shared to other presenters that will come to us, but that definitely is for us to plan our meeting. So I hope you are taking notes. I know Joke will remind us, but we have a lot of homework. So take that into consideration and please do give us your feedback.

BART BOSWINKEL: But the good thing is you have a lot of time before the November meeting.

MANAL ISMAIL: Yes. Thank you, Bart. So any other comment regarding that? Yes?

MUSTAFA MOHAMED: Just [inaudible], this is a useful document and I will recommend it to be used and it's good that we are going through [inaudible] as needed for [inaudible] but also I will recommend if we can make a small presentation covering the main points as it seems like a long document, so it's better if we can summarize it on a small presentation that the people can tolerate easily and read it if they feel lazy on reading this long document.

MANAL ISMAIL:

If I'm not mistaken, there is a summary of the document, so we will share it also. Thank you, Mustafa.

So a quick report on the ICANN 66 kick-off session is that we are just starting to try to organize the general overview of the next ICANN meeting. There is not yet a block schedule. There was a brief discussion on reducing the number of cross-community sessions and to rename them so that there is no confusion with high interest topics and cross-community sessions. Now they will be called plenary sessions, so that people know that it's for a broad audience and we should start to seek if there's any topic that the ccNSO would like to propose for that, so we will be sending an e-mail as soon as possible to meet the deadlines that were set.

Other than that, maybe the next call for the planning session will be at the beginning of August if I got that correctly. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything as a summary. No? Okay, that was a quick summary because, remember, this is just to get our heads already in Montreal mode. So I would like to ask if there is any other business, anyone would like to share anything else outside of the agenda? Yes, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: What is your tentative schedule? So we got the Montreal meeting in November, I believe. When do you want to publish the draft meeting schedule? So that would be early September.

MANAL ISMAIL: Honestly, it was shown on the screen but I don't have the dates with me so I really don't remember.

BART BOSWINKEL: No, but this is the ccNSO. This is the ccNSO schedule.

MANAL ISMAIL: Ah. Please, do you have the dates, Joke?

JOKE BRAEKEN: I just took a candy, apologies. If the planning of the first planning meeting of the SO/AC leaders is at the start of August, I suggest we meet as soon as possible with the MPC after that, so that when we have a block schedule, we can start to fill out the agenda and have already a first proposal by the start of August to the Meeting Programme Committee and then publish it later at the start of September.

BART BOSWINKEL: In the meantime, you do your homework with respect to the document and the other work.

MANAL ISMAIL: Exactly. That's why we have that time to do other homework. And well, I'm not sure if there is any other business. If not, well, that goes to the next meeting. So our next meeting should be scheduled after the general ICANN planning call, so that will be around mid-August. It will be on the day and time that we all agreed. If I remember, it's Wednesday, right? I don't remember the time in UTC. Is it 18:00 UTC? No. 6, sorry.

JOKE BRAKEN: I think it was 13:00 UTC.

MANAL ISMAIL: 13? Okay. Thank you. I mixed now time zones. And well, if there is nothing more that we need to say, I thank you very much for getting together today. I think this was a very productive meeting. Please do your homework. Try to be safe back home and see you in our next call. Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]