
ICANN72 | Prep Week - GNSO Policy Update Webinar
Tuesday, October 12, 2021 - 13:00 to 14:00 PDT

Recording in progress.

TATIANA TROPINA: So hello, good afternoon, good evening, good morning to anybody who is joining us or who is watching us in the recording.

Welcome to this pre-ICANN72 GNSO policy webinar. And on behalf of Generic Names Supporting Organization and the GNSO Council chair, Philippe Fouquart, and the outgoing vice-chair, Pam Little, I'd like to extend this warm welcome to everyone who is attending today, to our speakers and to everybody who is listening and hopefully is going to ask your questions.

So for those of you who don't know me, I'm also an outgoing vice-chair of the GNSO Council of the Non-Contracted Party House.

So what about this webinar? During this webinar we will be hearing from our active GNSO policy development process and expedited policy development process and Scoping Team chairs, and we hope that this will give all of you an idea what kind of work

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GNSO is engaged with right now, and also hope it will help you to prepare for all the discussions during the ICANN72.

So before we start, I would like to go over a roadmap very quickly and some housekeeping points before we begin.

So what is going to happen after these opening remarks, which are rather long now, right? Getting long. So we will hear from each active GNSO policy group chair for about ten minutes each. I will ask them some questions about how the PDP is going, and they will provide you an update about the status of their work, of what is important for you to know and for the GNSO Council and community, and how we all can assist them with their work. And then at the end, we will have a Q&A session at the end of -- at the end of all the presentations.

So if you have a question or a comment at any time during this webinar, of course they will be addressed a bit later at the end, so you have three options here. First of all, you may enter your question into the Q&A pod. Then you can type your question into the Zoom chat; however, for them to be noticed and read out, because there is always some chatter going on anyway, please do type "question" or "comment" in capital letters.

And lastly, we want to hear from you. So you can always raise your hand and ask your question verbally during the Q&A session, you will be unmuted, at the end of the webinar.

So please know that the questions will be addressed during the Q&A portion. As I said, it's going to be during the end of the presentation, but please feel free to post your questions or comments during the call.

About interpretation. This call is being interpreted. So to listen to it in a different language rather than English, please do click on this small "Interpretation" icon in Zoom webinar in the window. And if you wish to speak during the webinar -- for example, when you ask your question -- before you speak, please ensure that you selected the language that you will speak from the interpretation menu. So, for example, if you're going to speak in Spanish, please do check that you have Spanish on the menu.

And of course to view the real-time transcription, click on the "Closed Caption" button; again, in the Zoom toolbar.

And before we hear from the GNSO working group chairs, we thought that it would be helpful to show a sort of visual of the current work of the GNSO community.

So we have here, you know, posted like a bit of information about process that are wrapping up, it's on the 1 there. And some of you, many of you, actually, probably have followed the work of the first-ever GNSO EPDP, EPDP PDP, although some people refer to it as eternal policy development process.

I remember it starting. I can confirm that it's not eternal, not only because we have not run out of letters and numbers to, you know, mark some of its phases but also because it is, indeed, landing right now, it is wrapping up, and the GNSO Council is going to vote on the EPDP Phase 2 final report during this meeting on Wednesday on the 20th of October. So make a note about this and sort of celebrate with us the end of this process, hopefully.

So the EPDP Phase 2A, we don't have a chair here, but just a small update. It did cover two topics. First of all, the differentiation between legal and natural person registration data, and also the feasibility of unique anonymized contact.

And I would really like to say massive thanks to all, everybody who was involved in this process who worked on it and who kept it going and wrapped it up in these three years.

So the next four project on the GNSO slate which appear on this slide will be covered in detail during this webinar by the active

chairs of this process. Some of them are in flight, like, for example, EPDP on specific curative rights for IGOs; others just taking off, like accuracy, registration data accuracy team.

So without any due delay, I'm going to turn to the first PDP or EPDP which is currently in a great progress. I'm going to talk to Chris Disspain who is the chair of this working group and ask him about few questions about this work.

So, Chris, if you had to explain the substance of what you're doing in these EPDP to a newcomer, could you summarize this in few sentences? What is your working group doing?

CHRIS DISSPAIN:

Hi, Tatiana. Hi, everybody. This is Chris Disspain.

You asked me that last time, and I gave you the same answer which is no, I can't explain it in a few sentences. It's far too -- far too long-winded and difficult to do that. But I'll try.

It's the -- it's -- The work that's left in trying to solve the issue of dealing with the intergovernmental organizations acronyms and names. The names are reserved. The acronyms are temporarily reserved. In order for the acronyms to be unreserved, we kind of need to finish this work.

There was a PDP a couple years ago. It made a few recommendations. One of those recommendations wasn't accepted by the Council, and this started off as a work track and has now become an EPDP to try and solve that problem.

Does that give you a flavor, Tatiana?

TATIANA TROPINA: Yes, it does. And I wish I could say that next time I'm going to ask you to sum up in a (indiscernible), but as I'm outgoing vice-chair, so it's not going to happen, but I will submit it as a suggestion for the next ICANN meeting.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Thank you.

TATIANA TROPINA: Chris, before I ask the next question, there is a exhibit of explanation, perhaps, needed here for those who have not seen this, you know, snake as, you know, Z letter graph on the left hand of this slide before.

So the graph shows a visual depiction of all the steps that GNSO policy development process takes before the final report is voted on. So, Chris, if we look at this graph, I -- yeah, the letters are a bit

too small so I will ask you to explain in words. Where is this EPDP at?

CHRIS DISSPAIN: So we're where the gold star is because we get a gold star for the amount of effort we've put in so far. We are out for public comment on our initial report. And on the right-hand side of that slide, you can see a summary of the six preliminary recommendations which we have made, which it might be useful for me to just touch on, Tatiana, if that's okay with you.

TATIANA TROPINA: Yes. Please feel free to.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Okay. So basically there are six -- there are six preliminary recommendations in the report.

The first is to add a definition of IGO complainant. The second is that assuming that the Council were to accept the recommendations of this PDP, that the original recommendation 5 should be rejected. Doesn't make sense to accept our recommendations and then not reject recommendation 5, which is the reason why we're here.

The third preliminary recommendation is that the IGO should be exempt from agreement to submit to mutual jurisdiction. The third is that there should be an arbitration option following a UDRP decision. The fifth is that there should be an arbitration option following a URS decision. And finally, there are some recommendations about determining the applicable law for arbitration.

That sounds like a lot. The report itself is very clear about what it -- about the background to why those recommendations are being made in this initial report. They're not agreed yet finally. And we're now seeking public feedback, community feedback on those recommendations. And I've got a couple of points to make about those in the last slide. Thanks.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much, Chris. So very well deserved star. Indeed, stellar, stellar work.

Has this PDP status changed between ICANN71 previous meeting --

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Yes.

TATIANA TROPINA: -- and ICANN72? And what are the next milestones for this PDP? I think you mentioned quickly about the public comments I so --

TATIANA TROPINA: Yeah.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: It wasn't a -- last time we spoke about this, it wasn't a PDP. It was -- it was a work track. It's now a PDP because it became clear that the work track didn't have a -- I don't want to get too complicated about this but in simple terms, the work track didn't have a home to report to and so, therefore, it was necessary to convert it or the Council decided it was necessary to convert it to a PDP.

And so in the -- in the 20-something years that I've been involved in this ICANN community, apart from chairing a ccNSO PDP on the ccNSO checking its own rules, this is the only PDP I've ever chaired. And not only that but it's an EPDP, which makes it extra special.

TATIANA TROPINA: Indeed, extra special. And perhaps if you wrap this quickly it would be really EPDP. Maybe we'll see --

CHRIS DISSPAIN: That's the goal. That's the goal.

TATIANA TROPINA: What is the next milestone and what is the time frame for your "E" goal?

CHRIS DISSPAIN: That's -- the public comments are coming in. The comments close on the 24th of October.

And then there is -- the goal is to publish the final report before Christmas, all being well. No guarantees, but that's the goal.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much, Chris.

So to reach your goals, can the Council and community assist you with this PDP somehow?

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Yes! If we can go to the -- that's the one. Thank you.

So as you can see, it's open for public comment. The comments close on the 24th of October. This initial report is -- asks a number

of -- asks for feedback on a number of very specific areas. There are some matters which the team -- in respect to which the team is still considering a range of options. And we felt it was appropriate to actually go out to the community and ask for their feedback on the possible choices or possible options that there are. And it's worth mentioning them. They revolve around recommendations 4, 5, and 6 and are basically to do with options for handling arbitration following a UDRP decision or a URS decision. And then some options for determining the applicable law for arbitration and some options for presenting a case during arbitration.

It's impossible in a short section like this to go through that in any great detail, but it is clearly set out in the report and very much hoping that the community is able to provide us with some clear and useful feedback.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much, Chris.

And I just want to acknowledge the comment coming from Owen on the chat. And, indeed, "E" stands for expedited, which means that there is no issue report. And of course I shouldn't have been joking about this. Of course it doesn't mean to be speedy and stellar and whatever. So there is just some period that is

shortened at the beginning. So thank you, Owen, for clarifying this.

Chris, before we wrap up, is there anything else you would like to highlight about the work of your group? I see that the questions start coming for your group, so perhaps you will have time to answer them. No, you will have time to answer them at the end, but anything else you would like to say now?

CHRIS DISSPAIN: No, thank you. I think I've covered as much as I need to cover at the moment, and I'll happily try to answer any questions there may be. Thanks.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Chris. We're not done yet. I want to ask you when was the last time --

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Oh, there's more?

TATIANA TROPINA: -- you went to Starbucks?

CHRIS DISSPAIN: When was the last time I went to Starbucks?

TATIANA TROPINA: Yes.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Gosh, now, you see, that's a really -- see, you always ask these tough questions. You may not know this, but Starbucks -- I hope -- Starbucks did actually, when I used to live in Melbourne in Australia, Donna will understand this, Starbucks actually arrived in Australia and didn't last very long because certainly the people in Melbourne decided that their coffee was far more preferable to the coffee provided by Starbucks. I don't remember the last time I was at Starbucks, Tatiana, to be honest. A long time ago.

TATIANA TROPINA: So why I asked you this tough question, it's because this ICANN meeting was supposed to be in Seattle and Seattle is, indeed, the home of Starbucks.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: The home of Starbucks, yes.

TATIANA TROPINA: I'm trying to bring it -- I'm trying to connect it from some ubiquitous policy to a place.

So then if you don't go to Starbucks, where do you buy your coffee? What is your favorite?

CHRIS DISSPAIN: I make my --

TATIANA TROPINA: Oh.

CHRIS DISSPAIN: Too hard to answer. You see, but in Seattle you could equally ask me when did I last appear in an episode of Frasier? The answer would have been never, but it is, nonetheless, still an interesting question.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much, Chris. And, indeed, at least if you go to Starbucks, they can probably spell your name properly there. They're never able to spell mine.

And with this, thank you very much, Chris, for all the updates. And I'm going to chat now with Roger Carney, who is the chair of the transfer policy review PDP.

So, Roger, the same question to you. If you had to explain the substance of your PDP to somebody who is new here, who is listening to us for a first time, how would you sum it up for them?

ROGER CARNEY:

Yeah, I think maybe mine is a little bit easier than Chris's. It's -- we're working on refreshing the current transfer policy dealing with how to get a domain name from one registrar to another registrar. And the last time it was updated was, um, a while ago. I think the work finished several years ago but the policy was completed I think more than a decade ago.

So we're looking at the new data privacy laws and all the new -- all the recent EPDP work that's been completed and trying to roll that into a brand-new updated transfer policy.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you very much, Roger.

In terms of this Z graph, what is your group going to get a star for? Where are you now?

ROGER CARNEY: So we are currently in discussions. So we're -- since beginning of early summer, we started our discussions afresh, and we are working toward an initial report sometime next summer.

So we are just discussing all the points, and we have several different phases and many different charter questions that we have to answer, and we've made it through our first three large sections of discussions. And I think that was about a dozen or so charter questions.

So we are making great progress, and we are just continuing our discussions.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you. So you started around the ICANN71. Has the PDP status changed between ICANN71 and 72? I gather that maybe not because you're discussing, but maybe there are some nuances.

ROGER CARNEY: Yeah, you bet. Actually, we have changed quite a bit. Probably the first month that we did work, we really worked with staff on trying to come up with this beautiful project plan here. So at ICANN71, we really hadn't talked about any true substance yet.

We were just doing all the planning and seeing how long we thought it may take us to get to each of the stages.

So since ICANN71, we've really got into a lot of the meaty discussions. And so, yeah, we've made great progress really since 71.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Roger.

So it's quite some time between now and next summer when you expected to produce your report.

ROGER CARNEY: Mm-hmm.

TATIANA TROPINA: What is your next milestone on this way? And what are the expected time frame for that milestone? We know your long-term goals.

ROGER CARNEY: Yeah, you bet. So our next milestone really is to -- we're going to continue working on these discussions and getting everything hammered out and all the charter questions answered. But our

next true milestone is the initial report coming out next June. I think that -- I don't want to jinx our ICANN staff or anybody, but I think we'll be ahead of that. So, yes, exactly.

TATIANA TROPINA: Let's keep our fingers crossed.

[Laughter]

ROGER CARNEY: But yeah, that's our next target, so...

TATIANA TROPINA: Great. So how can the Council and community help you to achieve this target? Anything we can do?

ROGER CARNEY: You bet. So -- And I think, you know, going into this there was a lot of understanding from the community at large. You know, this really impacts contracted parties and registrants mostly. A lot of the other groups are, you know, tangentially affected.

So I think the big thing is just staying aware. All the groups that aren't, you know, dealing with this daily, just keeping aware and watching the progress to make sure that, you know, we don't do

nine months of work and then someone say, "Hey, but what about this" after we produce our report.

So I think just looking for the community to stay involved, even if it's just not -- just observing and interacting when needed. So I think those are the big things.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you.

So it all sounds great. Anything else you would like to highlight about the work of this group? Anything I missed?

ROGER CARNEY: I would say this group is great. I mean the interaction every week, we -- the project planning may have started off slow, because I'm not sure there was a lot of project planners in this group, but once we got into the actual discussions, we've had some great lively discussions, and very, very collegial. I mean, it's been back and forth and great, and we've made great progress. So that's all I can share.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Roger.

And my question about Starbucks. If you had to take this great group for coffee or tea or any other drink, what would be the place in Seattle or anywhere else, or what would be the drink? What's your favorite?

ROGER CARNEY:

You bet. So I am not a coffee drinker, I am not a tea drinker, so I don't visit Starbucks often unless I'm taking someone there. But I would say the one coffee I drink is probably my favorite and it's Irish coffee. So the more Irish, the better, the less coffee, the better. So I would suggest that for anyone.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Oh, thank you, Roger. And somehow now I want Irish coffee. It's quite cold here and it's the evening, so perfect for this beverage.

Thank you very much for updating us and for all the information.

And I would like to move along to the next policy development process. And again, it is going to be an EPDP, this time on Internationalized Domain Name. And we have the chairs of this EPDP joining us here, Donna Austin and Edmon Chung.

And again, just the usual question. You probably know what I'm going to ask first. If you had to sum up the essence of this policy

to someone who is watching this for the first time, who is at ICANN for the first time, what would be, in a few sentences, what your group is working on.

DONNA AUSTIN: I'm going to hand this one over to Edmon, Tatiana, and I will explain a little bit more about why the two of us are here in a minute. Thanks.

EDMON CHUNG: Oh, thank you, Donna. Not a problem at all.

Again, I guess like Chris, it's very difficult to answer in a few sentence, but this is the part of the EPDP where it feels a lot like eternal, but it's eternal in making and hopefully it will be expedited and fast, if you will.

The background of it really started more than a decade ago, and the -- what it is addressing mainly is Internationalized Domain Names and, in particular, internationalized domains variant gTLDs, IDN variant gTLDs; how the process of introducing IDN variant gTLDs into the root zone as well as once they're introduced, the implications on the second-level registrations of IDN, and also a component of it is the -- an IDN implementation guidelines that have been put in place since 2003, but the process

of which in terms of updating that will be included in the EPDP. But it is -- The reason why it's an EPDP, the expedited part, is that it's building on work that has been really more than a decade really now, starting from the joint ccNSO and GNSO IDN working group, the Board Variant Issues Project, and the Root Zone LGR, or the label generation rule sets, and some of which has been implemented into the Subsequent Procedures, but there have also been a number of IDN gTLDs introduced in the 2012 round that are still left hanging because they are missing their corresponding IDN variant TLDs. And this is the EPDP that is addressing those IDN gTLDs already out there as well as the new gTLDs -- new IDN gTLDs coming in.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much. And, Donna, you wanted to add something?

DONNA AUSTIN: Thanks, Tatiana. Just to note that Edmon and I are here today as co-chairs of the working group. Edmon was originally appointed by the GNSO leadership as the chair of this working group, and then a few weeks after that, Edmon found out that he was being appointed the ICANN Board. So the Council had to find a new chair, so I'm the new chair. I've only really taken over the last

week to some extent. So a little bit of changes early on in the piece, and that's why both Edmon and I are here today.

Thanks, Tatiana.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you very much, Donna. And congratulations, Edmon. And it's great to have you both here so we can see this and also, I hope, capture this process a bit in transition between one chair to another.

And my question to one of you, I don't know to whom, can you tell us where this PDP on this Z letter on the visualization?

DONNA AUSTIN:

So we're very much in the early stages of the work, Tatiana. We've only really started get to go the substantive discussion on the early charter questions. And what we found is that there are a lot of questions about the process for the root zone label generation rules. So we've taken some time out of substantive discussion to give some (indiscernible) the opportunity to take the working group through that process. So we're kind of level setting a little bit in terms of our knowledge so that we're better informed when we get into some of the substantive policy discussions.

Anything to add, Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG: No. That's pretty concise and precise where we are.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Donna and Edmon. And as the group started its work quite recently, how has the EPDP status changed between the last meeting, ICANN71, and now, ICANN72?

DONNA AUSTIN: I guess the fact that it had its first meeting. I think, Edmon, the first meeting was at the end of August. So at ICANN71, I think the charter was probably in development and perhaps under consideration by Council. So I guess the change is that the EPDP has kicked off its work.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you.

And again, I know that you are on quite an early stage right now, but, Donna, perhaps more question to you because you're going to take this over, the chair. What is the next milestone for this EPDP? What is your expected time frame for this next milestone?

DONNA AUSTIN: So to be honest, I don't -- I don't know. I know we have submitted a project plan to the Council, and the Council will consider that at, I think, this ICANN meeting. And I guess it's only an acknowledgment.

So I think our overall goal is to have the work wrapped up within about 16 to 18 months. So I'm not sure where the initial report will fall, you know, in that scale of time. But, fingers crossed, we can make that 16 to 18 month time frame.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Donna. And, indeed, we will again keep the fingers crossed.

I know that many in the community are actually very much interested in the IDNs, so how the Council, how the community can assist you in your work on this?

DONNA AUSTIN: So this EPDP in terms of composition is a little bit different to some of the others in that we've -- I think we're calling it a hybrid model. We have members that are representing different parts of the community, and then we have participants that are representing in an individual capacity, I suppose. They can

contribute to the discussions, but if we get to a point of consensus designation, they wouldn't be involved in that discussion.

And we also have observers.

So obviously, you know, generally that's the way that most PDPs are brought anyway. If you want to participate, that's available to you. I think we're also looking at appointing or requesting of the Board that they appoint a liaison to this working group. We think it's -- we understand that IDNs and universal acceptance, I think those two are interlinked in some way, are important priorities for the Board.

So we think it's important that the Board appoints a liaison to this work and understands where we are in the process and some -- perhaps some of the challenges we may encounter along the way. So that's another thing that we have in train, just seeking non-objection to that at the moment from Council. And then if there's no problem there, then we'll make a formal request to the Board for a liaison.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you very much, Donna.

Anything else to highlight here? I think that you pretty much provided a lot of comprehensive overview about what is going on. But if Donna or Edmon want to say something else about all this, the floor is yours.

DONNA AUSTIN: Just a thanks to Edmon for the early work, not only with this PDP but I think Edmon, you know, one of the first -- very first meetings we had of the working group, Edmon acknowledged that this is probably about 20 years in the making to get to this PDP. So -- and I know Edmon has been closely involved in that for some period of time. So thanks very much to Edmon for his contribution not only to this work but also the IDNs in particular over the last -- well, more than a decade now.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much.

Edmon, anything?

EDMON CHUNG: No. Just to return the thanks to Donna for stepping up as I had to have to step down from the chair. It's still very much dear in my heart. I will try to definitely follow one way or the other the

working group going forward. And if the Board liaison works, I would try to volunteer myself through that process.

And it's a very important piece of work, and so, yes, the membership has a particular structure, but please join us as participants and join the conversation.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you very much, Donna and Edmon.

And I'm going to ask you that question about Starbucks because I'm a one-trick pony. So what's your favorite beverage in Starbucks or anywhere else? Donna, let's start with you. Chris already mentioned that Starbucks didn't survive in Australia.

DONNA AUSTIN:

Yeah, it had a very short-lived history, but I will say that when I go back to Australia, I do enjoy a flat white from any cafe. As most will understand, Australians are coffee snobs. But I have changed that a little bit, and I now need to have an almond milk flat white, which I can say is just as good as the normal one. So that would be my preference.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Donna. I'm certainly going to try almond milk flat white next time I go to a coffee place.

Edmon, what about you? Are you a coffee drinker?

EDMON CHUNG: I love coffee, and these days it's all about the hand-drip pour-over coffee.

And in terms of Starbucks, I was amazed that the hand pour that they actually offer tastes exactly like the regular coffee. I don't know whether that's a good thing or bad, but for some people, maybe good.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much. And I see that some are saying on the chat that it's not milk. Nevertheless, let us go to the last speaker. Last but not least we have Michael Palage, the chair of the very newest effort, the registration data accuracy Scoping Team, an effort that many were waiting for.

So, Michael, I know that it might be a huge task to sum up it here in just a few words, what this is all about for the newcomers.

MICHAEL PALAGE:

Sure. I think the best way to describe this is the issue of accuracy is something that has been long debated and discussed within the ICANN community. And part of this Scoping Team is to, if you will, collect a lot of this information and put it together so that the Council can determine whether a PDP is necessary to give further guidance.

So I would say we are in a fact-gathering exercise, and we are not seeking to make policy or anything like that. So that's perhaps a little different than some of the other groups that had spoken before and what we're doing.

And again, looking back to the remit that Council, and as well as ICANN org in the briefing documents talked about, really taking a whole -- a holistic approach. And I guess the best example I could give is, you know, one of the documents we were looking at -- or we were discussing on today's call was the original 1999 Registrar Accreditation Agreement. So we are looking at 20-plus years of documents from contracts to bylaws to compliance programs and how they have all referenced this concept of accuracy. And to be a little more specific, there had been, if you will, three -- four specific remits or questions that have been asked. The first two - - the first one is about enforcement and reporting; the second is about measurement. So these -- these two issues are kind of a

precursor. We need to address these questions before we get to the final two questions, which are effectiveness, and impact and improvement. So again we've only had a total of two calls, the second being today.

We are hopeful to get our work done within a year. Again, since we are not doing a formal consensus policy recommendation, we will not have to go through a formal comment, public comment period in connection with our work. We are hopeful that we will be able to expedite our work and get it done within a 12-month period of time.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you, Michael.

I was just going to ask you what do you think is important for the Council and the community to know this time? I actually think you highlighted everything, what is important to know, but if there is one message you can say about the importance of something for the community right now to know, what this would be?

MICHAEL PALAGE:

I would say one of the -- one of the perspectives that I am trying to bring to the group as a whole is to recognize the multi-

dimensional aspect of this and encouraging each of the different stakeholder groups to respect the other perspective. So for the contracting parties that have contractual obligations with ICANN and have, you know, GDPR requirements, making sure that those viewpoints are appreciated as well as the perspective of the business and intellectual property community that have historically had issues regarding the accuracy. And then again, we can't forget about the civil society as well as the GAC.

So I think it's really important that as we are in this fact- or data-gathering phase that we really get all of those different perspectives to the community. And if we get all of those data points and we present this to the Council, I think that is -- that will be the sign of whether we did a good job or not.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you, Michael. And in this entire context of, you know, respecting each other views, of, you know, recognizing some of the differences, what could be the practical steps? How can the Council and community assist your group right now, if there is anything?

MICHAEL PALAGE:

I guess the most important thing is to give us data. I -- As we look at some of the processes, you know, some of the things that are

taking place right now with SSAD and the ODP. So what's interesting is that's an example of an operation -- an ODP that is being done at the end, and it's interesting that ICANN has said they found that they're missing some pieces and they need to do some further research.

So we actually look at the work that we need to do as trying to address all those unknown variables sooner, not later. So what we're trying to do is really engage in outreach to the community. This is something we're talking about, in fact create -- one of the things that's up for discussion is creating an email so that third parties that want to contribute have a way of contributing. This is something that ICANN has actually done with the SSAD ODP. So we're trying to be creative and model our approach to increasing participation and inclusiveness.

So I think that's -- yeah, that's what we're trying to do a little differently. And the more data points, the better.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you very much, Michael.

Anything else you would like to highlight? About this work.

MICHAEL PALAGE: If I could, currently there is one deficiency. We do not have any representative or participant from South America. So if there is anyone from South America that is interested and is participating in one of the various ICANN stakeholder community groups, please reach out to them and see how you can either participate as a direct or as an alternate member. We really do want to make sure that we have not only stakeholder group but also geographic diversity, because we think it's just important and is a fundamental aspect to the ICANN multistakeholder model.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Michael.

And lastly, are you a fan of Starbucks? Which coffee would you order?

MICHAEL PALAGE: I only eat -- I only eat coffee ice cream; however, when I do go to Starbucks, chai latte is my drink of preference.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Michael.

And I would like to thank all of our chairs, especially for so wonderfully sticking to the time and being on time while being so comprehensive.

So I would like now to open the floor for questions. As I said, if you would like to ask a question, you may do so by raising your hand, and our tech team will unmute you so you can ask the question. Or you probably wrote your questions on the chat. And write -- please do continue writing them questions or comments. And now, just because I'm so utterly not multi-tasking, I'm going to hand it over to Caitlin, I think, who is going to help me with reading the questions aloud and perhaps distributing them to the chairs.

Thank you so much.

CAITLIN TUBERGEN:

Thank you, Tatiana. This is Caitlin Tubergen from ICANN org staff. Thank you to those who have populated questions in the chat and in the Q&A pod during the webinar.

We will begin by addressing those questions. But again, as Tatiana has noted, you're also welcome to raise your hand if you have a question and we'll unmute you or during the Q&A portion, you're still welcome to type your questions into the Q&A pod.

We'll begin with a question from Susan Payne: When you identify the GNSO current slate of work, why do you also -- do you not -- why do you not also include work that is in implementation? I appreciate that implementation is led by staff, but GNSO community members actively participate, and it is the GNSO's output that is in play. Isn't this apparent view that once the PDP wraps up it is off the GNSO slate part of the problem we are now encountering whereby policy recommendations are, in some cases, years old and still not implemented? Should the GNSO Council take a more active interest in the status of PDP implementation?

Thank you for that question, Susan. I can address the first part of that question, which is why, within this webinar and in that slide about the GNSO's current slate of work, the implementation work was not included. And that was merely a practical reason, and that is for timing constraints. We had 60 minutes to get through the work, and we thought it would be important to hear from the active chairs of the current EPDP, PDP, and Scoping Teams that are under management of the GNSO Council, and so we didn't have time to include the implementation work. However, if that's something that is of interest to the community, we can certainly let our colleagues in GDS who work on the implementation projects know and see if perhaps during the next round of prep week they could consider having a webinar on those topics.

In terms of the other parts of your question, if there's anyone, any of our panelists or any of our GNSO councilors who would like to address that question, please go ahead and raise your hand or respond within the chat.

TATIANA TROPINA: As a moderator, I don't know if I can also give floor to Philippe Fouquart if he has any thoughts on this.

Philippe, sorry for -- or maybe Pam Little. Sorry for putting you two on the spotlight, but I think if there is anything you want to intervene with from the GNSO Council perspective, please feel free to. And I will wait a bit. Yes.

PHILIPPE FOUQUART: Thanks, Tatiana. Can you hear me?

TATIANA TROPINA: Yes. Thank you, Philippe.

PHILIPPE FOUQUART: Yes, that's what's called being put on the spot, I guess. And I hope my audio is good enough.

And to that question, I guess the question is more because the Council is already quite engaged with GDS and the implementation. The community is, obviously.

I guess the -- So there are two questions. The first was why don't we do it here already. And I guess the answer is because we've got already a lot on our plate, and it would -- it's also meant to cover policy-related issues that are, at the moment, the priority of the community and also a way for us to reach out to newcomers in particular.

So to that purpose, the webinar format may not be the ideal way of -- especially for policies that have been approved already, to cover those.

Now, I guess the other way to answer that is the issue of bandwidth. We're very much overloaded at the moment, and I suppose that's also because Council reacts upon request on those IRT-related issues.

That being said, and I think I wrote it in my statement just a couple of days ago, that given the format of the EPDP, the interplay with the ODP, and the fact that we are deadline driven, it's true that (indiscernible) -- there are policy-related issues that might be overlooked. And Council moving forward, I don't know whether

that's for this one, but will need to keep an eye on both the ODP and the implementation because, again, the odds are that there are items that may have to be not revisited but possibly clarified.

I hope that somehow addresses Susan's question. And I'm sorry for the rambling. Thank you.

TATIANA TROPINA:

Thank you very much, Philippe.

And I don't know, of course I will ask the chairs if they have anything to add, but I think that this is quite purely the leadership question and how we handle this. And I find the idea of perhaps providing another webinar with updates on the implementation teams is a good idea for the next cycle of meetings.

Caitlin, over to you with the next question, unless any of the chairs want to speak.

CAITLIN TUBERGEN:

Thank you, Tatiana. This is Caitlin Tubergen again from ICANN org.

The next question we received in the chat pod, and the question is from Philip Corwin, and this question is to Chris Disspain: As

you know, I have some history on this complex subject. Will the post-UDRP arbitration be determined under UDRP rules or per the law of the jurisdiction if there had been mutual jurisdiction? And would the arbitrator be the original DRP provider -- WIPO, et cetera -- or another entity?

Thanks.

And, Philip, I believe this question is partially addressed by our staff colleagues, but, Chris, if you have anything to add, please go ahead and do so. Thank you.

CHRIS DISSPAIN:

Thank you. Just a couple of things. Firstly, respect -- huge respect to Philip for all the work he did in respect to this matter in the previous PDP.

Secondly, yes, Mary is -- Mary has typed into the chat the right answer, which is that that's a very detailed question and is the subject of some of the questions that the EPDP team have asked in the report and thought your input and comments would be appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

CAITLIN TUBERGEN: Thank you, Chris. This is Caitlin again. I will be reading more questions from the Q&A pod.

The next two questions come from Laxmi Prasad-Yadav, ICANN72 Fellow. I think these questions are interrelated, so I'll go ahead and pose these to the group. And again, other GNSO councilors feel free to weigh in if you like by raising your hands. The questions are how are issues introduced in PDP? And what are the sources of issues?

TATIANA TROPINA: Anybody wants to take this one with the example of their PDP?

DONNA AUSTIN: So, Tatiana, if I may. It's Donna Austin.

So, Laxmi, that -- that's kind of a pretty complex question as well. It depends on the history of the project. As Edmon said, with the IDN PDP that we're doing now, you know, there's ten years of work that's gone into getting to this point in time that we're at now. So it's not -- we'd need to -- we'd almost need a full presentation to be able to respond to your questions more fully. And perhaps that's something that, you know, could be done as

part of the Fellow program, and I'm sure the GNSO secretariat and support team would be happy to do that.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you very much, Donna.

And anybody has anything to add here? And if not, Caitlin, again, over to you with a question, next question.

CAITLIN TUBERGEN: Thank you, Tatiana.

The next question comes from Nicolas Fiumarelli, another ICANN72 Fellow: Firstly, congrats on this process transition. I have a question regarding the update on the EPDP; in particular, regarding new gTLD IDNs compliance. Could you briefly comment on the general terms for ratification of IDN-related policies? For example, I imagine if in the future you want to propose a condition so that for new gTLDs with internationalized use that is mandatory that they must implement a mechanism to control how they have efficiently implemented the resolvers correctly. How long could this type of process take from the moment it is proposed until it is ratified?

And I will hand this over to Donna and Edmon to answer. Thank you.

DONNA AUSTIN:

Thanks, Caitlin. I will take a first crack at this and then if Edmon has anything to add.

But, Nicolas, probably what we should have mentioned as part of our presentation is that the IDN EPDP that we are dealing with is really looking at gTLDs from the 2012 round. So the treatment of potential variants from the 2012 round hasn't been dealt with, so we need to do that kind of retrospectively.

The Subsequent Procedures PDP actually has developed policy as it relates to IDN gTLDs moving forward in -- kind of in an application process since.

So in some respects, we're doing something that's a little bit retrospective, and you could say it's a little bit late in the day to be doing this. But one of the things that's happened in that period of time since 2012 was the development of the label generation rules, which is really the technical piece of how to manage IDNs in a single-root environment, because that was a -- if you can solve the technical problem, then that may help with the policy issues that we're now dealing with.

So I think probably what we should have mentioned is what we're doing in this EPDP in some extent will potentially build on or agree with some of the recommendations that were made in SubPro, and then that will carry forward -- SubPro will -- will set the rules and expectations for whenever the next round happens. What we're dealing with here is trying to fix a problem that happened in 2012.

Edmon, I don't know if you have anything to add to that.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you, Donna. Yes. I think -- Nicolas, thank you for the question. And I'm not sure if I'm getting it correctly, but if you are talking about making sure that the different-language TLDs are usable, the usability of them with the resolvers and browsers and email hosting and those kind of things, then I think that discussion is actually not part of the PDP but, rather, I'm going to send something into the chat. The UASG, the Universal Acceptance Steering Group, is the place where that is being discussed. And I think it's a very important matter to make sure that the IDNs do work in the network. But that would be an ongoing process if you're thinking about making sure that the IDNs do work in the hosting email and all that other part of the network. So please check it out. That's the UASG website that I just sent into the chat.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Edmon.

Caitlin, I see that we have two questions left. I would say you decide which order to go through them. Can we extend this for a few minutes? Do we have to end sharp?

CAITLIN TUBERGEN: Thanks, Tatiana. I'm going to go ahead and ask the last question first as it's directed toward one of our chairs. Sorry to put you on the spot, Roger.

The question is -- again, it's for Roger Carney regarding the transfer policy PDP.

Is the working group considering or planning to consider abusive transfer scenarios like domain hijacking/ransom? And if so, is it realistic to expect the PDP to create a transfer policy which reduces the risk/impact of such abusive transfers?

ROGER CARNEY: Thanks for the question. And we've actually already started those discussions. You know, how much we can do to stop some of those, we're hoping to stop everything that we can. Obviously some of the bigger hijacking issues have to deal with passwords

out of other systems, and things like that, that we don't really have control over.

But, yes, we're definitely looking at those abusive items every time we look at adding on another security mechanism or something to that effect. So, yes, we continually look at those abusive situations and look to see if we can solve those either -- hopefully actively solve them so that we're stopping them as they happen, and if we can't do that, we're hoping to be able to create policy to at least control them and to be able to revert back to where we were before that happened. So...

CAITLIN TUBERGEN: Thank you, Roger.

TATIANA TROPINA: Thank you, Roger. Caitlin, last question. We still have time?

CAITLIN TUBERGEN: Yes, thank you, Tatiana. We have one question left and this question is from Andrey Shcherbovich, another ICANN72 Fellow. The question says: Could you please outline the policies concerning interaction with U.N. institutions like the IGF. Is there a need for the special policy development in this regard?

TATIANA TROPINA:

If I can address this, unless anybody from the chairs is going to address. I just want to say that ICANN, especially when it comes to the GNSO Council, has a very narrow policy remit. The GNSO Council makes policies about registries and registrars for the generic top-level domain names, full stop. So it wouldn't be appropriate for GNSO to develop policy about interaction with the U.N. institutions.

ICANN, indeed, had a Cross-Community Working Group on the Internet governance which -- and its mandate expired so it was cross-community -- so it was transformed to cross-community vehicle, but I do know that there is currently discussion, and Board is going -- the ICANN Board is going to organize the session about engagement with governments and apparently also with the intergovernmental institutions. I do not think that this is a policy development process. ICANN has a very narrow mission and narrow remit; however, indeed, there is some discussion on how to inform the outside world. And of course ICANN as an organization does have the special sort of department or -- how is it called? Which is responsible for the IGO engagement. And of course many community members are attending the IGF.

Personally, I do not think that there is need for any policy, but some people might disagree with me.

Anybody wants to add something from the GNSO perspective? Chairs? Or maybe Philippe? I don't know.

But we are at the top of the hour. If anybody wants to add anything, please raise your hand. And if not, just because I don't want to keep you all here for too long and I think we exhausted the questions, so I would like to thank, in no particular order Michael, Roger, Donna, Edmon, Chris, and you all who attended, who listened, who asked the questions, who work in these groups, who keep the discussion going, who keep us all alive. It would be great, of course, to see you in Seattle, but as we are not going to do this, please do grab coffee, tea, go for your favorite beverage now during the ICANN meeting.

So on behalf of Philippe, Pam, and myself, I wish you all a wonderful morning, day, afternoon, evening, whatever time zone you are in.

Thank you very much, and I guess this meeting has now been adjourned. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]