
ICANN76 | CF – GNSO: NPOC Membership Meeting
Saturday, March 11, 2023 – 16:30 to 17:30 CUN

ANDREA GLANDON: Hello, and welcome to the NPOC membership meeting. My name is Andrea Glandon, and I am the remote participation manager for this session. Please note that this session is being recorded and is governed by the ICANN expected standards of behavior. During this session, questions or comments will only be read aloud if submitted within the Q&A pod. I will read them aloud during the time set by the chair or moderator of this session.

If you would like to ask your question or make your comment verbally, please raise your hand. When called upon, kindly unmute your microphone and take the floor. Please state your name for the record and speak clearly at a reasonable pace. And I just want to reiterate to please say your name for the transcript. Mute your microphone when you are done speaking.

This session includes automated real-time transcription. Please note this transcript is not official or authoritative. To view the real-time transcription, click on the closed caption button in the Zoom toolbar.

To ensure transparency of participation in ICANN's multi-stakeholder model, we ask that you sign into Zoom sessions using your full name. For example, a first name and last name or surname. You may be removed from the session if you do not sign in using your full name. With that, I will hand the floor over to Raoul Plommer.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Thanks, Andrea. Welcome, everyone, to NPOC's membership meeting. Nice to be here in Cancun. Got a good few people with us today. And, yeah, my name is Raoul Plommer. I'm chairing this meeting, as well as the constituency. And I think we could go through the people, introductions of who's here. Maybe start from the right. Ken?

KEN HERMAN: Hi, good afternoon. Ken Herman, NCUC North America delegate. Thank you.

SAM LANFRANCO: Sam Lanfranco, NPOC, NCSG.

JAUN MANUEL ROJAS: Juan Manuel Rojas, NPOC PC chair.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Caleb Ogundele, membership chair for NPOC.

EMMANUEL VITUS: Emmanuel Vitus, I'm the general secretary of the NPOC PC.

TAPANI TARVAINEN: Tapani Tarvainen, Finland's representative in NPOC, and also NPOC's representative in NCSG EC.

DAN GLUCK: Dan Gluck, ICANN staff support.

ANDREA GLANDON: Hello, Andrea Glandon. I support the noncommercial groups. And if people in the back there are going to introduce yourself, please come to the miCROPhone.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Judith Hellerstein.

JULF HELLSINGIUS: Julf Hellsingius.

CARLOS GUTIERREZ: Carlos Gutierrez.

PAUL MCGRADY: I'm Paul McGrady. I am the Nominating Committee's appointee for the noncontracted parties house. And so I am here to listen and to answer any questions that you guys may have, all with the hope of taking back your points to the Council table. So thank you for allowing me to sit in. So thank you for allowing me to sit in.

JASON ELSTER: Jason Elster.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Okay, anyone in the chat? Ines, possibly?

ANDREA GLANDON: Yes, we do have Ines online. Ines, would you like to introduce yourself?

INES HFAIEDH: Hi, everyone. This is Ines Hfaiedh from Tunisia, NCUC and NPOC member.

ANDREA GLANDON: We also have Jean Queralt online from Malaysia.

JEAN QUERALT: Hi, everyone. Jean Queralt Speaking from Malaysia.

ANDREA GLANDON: And it looks like Olévié Kouami is online as well from Senegal.

OLÉVIÉ KOUAMI: Hello, everyone. Good evening from Senegal.

BOLUTIFE ADISA: Hello, everyone. My name is Bolutife Adisa from Nigeria. I'm the current chair for the communications within NPOC. It's a pleasure to be here with you all. Thank you.

RAOUL PLOMMER: I think next on the agenda is some announcements that are prepared which are as follows. So basically, this is some of the things we made decisions about in our last EC meeting. One of them, I think, which is

quite a hope everybody takes advantage of, is EC meetings are now open to all NPOC members from now on. I would strongly welcome you to join them. You can be there with an observational status and also comment in the chat while we go through the meeting, but it would be great if more people joined us in those meetings.

Then we have been saying this a while, but the new charter should be—there's basically two things we need to do, and that is like we've had in the last EC meeting, we went through sort of the last things we need to change in the charter, and after that, it goes to the Board to accept or ratify. Then, hopefully I'm not feeling too optimistic here, but I would say late spring, during the summer, we will actually have the new charter finally online.

And then also, I want to remind everyone, all the NPOC members that elections are coming up. Andrea, did you have any information on the schedule of the election?

ANDREA GLANDON:

I don't have specific dates, but we will get started around April, send out the emails for people to start checking in, and then I believe the final will need to be done.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Okay, so that sounds pretty much like it was last year. Starts with nominations, which is a period of two weeks, and then there's the election period, which is a month, and yeah, and after that, we elect the new EC in that, and I think with the charter not quite ready for that election, unless some miracles happen, we will still have six members

election for the EC of NPOC. But once the new charter is online, we will only have four EC members, so that's going to be a bit of a change. I hope for the better. And I think that's pretty much all the announcements I wanted to make. I think we can move on to the membership matters, so I'll give the floor to Caleb.

CALEB OGUNDELE:

Hi, everyone, good morning, good afternoon, good evening, from wherever you are. My name is Caleb Ogundele for the record. I'm the membership chair for NPOC, and we will be having a little conversation about some of the membership issues, some of the things we've done and some of the things we'd like to hear your feedback on as we continue to strengthen NPOC and to make things better all the time.

So just to give you a little bit of some information, we had a couple of new members join us. I'm pretty sure you've seen it on mailing list. We are still treating new applications at the moment, but I just wanted to also let us know that we are having a little bit of some challenges with the membership portal. So it's a gradual phase, we're doing it phase by phase to make sure we approve new members that are coming to join NPOC.

So I would say that for last year, we showed our strength and we had a good outing last year till this year that our membership increased by some numbers. And we do hope that probably during this ICANN meeting, we will have like some membership meeting with the NCSG EC and then we'll sort out the outstanding applications. That's on the one hand.

One of the things we also thought about within the EC because we'd like to serve you more better and we'd like to make sure that we are all on the same page. We thought that it's good that we have like a membership survey that we can share with our members. We want to hear your voice. We want to hear your feedback. We want to hear how you would want us to run NPOC, what are some of the concerns that you have and how we can better serve you.

So probably in the coming days, probably immediately after this meeting, we will be sharing the membership survey with our members and we will probably give it like a month to receive your input and hope that you can contribute to how you want to see the future of NPOC look like through that membership survey.

On the other hand, this is also an opportunity to invite us to a joint outreach engagement session that we are having with a subset of At-Large, LACRALO. This has been in the planning for months. And we would want you to be part of the session. We will send the room number and also maybe the Zoom link as well. Yeah. As soon as we are able to get the room number, we will share it with our members and maybe the Zoom link as well so that we can all participate. It's such a good thing to see that we are in the LAC region and we are getting to do things with people who matter within the region and see how we have organizations also being part of some of the things we do here and extend our NPOC outreach to some of them. That's on the one hand.

This is also another announcement for members to maybe consider. We've organized an outreach engagement with the new fellows. We believe that the next generation of leaders are going to come from the

fellows as well, those who are just being introduced into the ICANN processes. So we are having a joint outreach fellowship engagement with them tomorrow. And that will be at about the same time at the fellowship room. And you can also check the ICANN schedule to pick out the exact room or the Zoom link as well. So that will actually be a good thing to have some of our members here.

We also want to inform members that the CROP support has also started. The last time we sent out to our members to see if anyone would be interested in the CROP support for the Cancun meeting. But we didn't get feedback on time. It is our assumption that maybe members were not interested or there was nobody within the LAC region.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: I'm sorry, Caleb. We had one person interested to come here with CROP, but we did the application later than the deadline. So that's why we couldn't bring someone from the LAC region to this meeting.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Thank you so much for that information. So one of the things we want to encourage our members is that when we send out some of this information, please take a quick look at it and quickly submit your statement of interest so that you don't fall behind the deadline such that such applications will be disqualified or cannot be accepted by the ICANN stakeholder engagement team as well as the Secretariat that we are working with. We encourage our members to strongly take some of those announcements seriously.

And how does CROP work? If you are within a specific region that ICANN meetings are holding and you feel that you can participate in that kind of outreach engagement session, we did share a strategy document. If you feel you can actively participate, we strongly encourage you to look at that document and try to see how you can participate more.

So to wrap up some of the thoughts on membership engagements that we are working on, we also do hope from our webinar series that we are able to we have webinar series planned. We've been in current conversation with ICANN Org to see how we can get webinar series to empower our members, for them to be able to understand some of the concerns that we have in NPOC, and we feel that that webinar series can also help to stimulate interest in people becoming penholders to be able to contribute to policies. As far as I'm concerned, we still need to make some improvement and contribution when it comes to policy engagement that we have from within our constituency, NPOC, to the larger NCSG. I feel we need to do more, and I'm sure that the policy chair will speak more on policy participation for our members. We will encourage you to attend policy meetings.

So an offshoot of some of those webinar series, we will probably, at the end of the day, when we have all these materials probably posted, we would maybe in a way try to see how we can also work with ICANN Org to see if we can have NPOC-specific e-learning materials derived from some of those webinar series that can probably be posted in ICANN Learn. These are just some general thoughts that we are hoping will come to fruition. But until then, we need to implement first. So on that note, I'd like to wrap up this current engagement that I have and welcome feedback. Over to you, chair.

DAN GLUCK: I have a question in chat. Dan here. The question is from Olévié. The NPOC executive committee has started shaping a new charter since the year 2017. So why did it take so long? Please, what are the issues?

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yeah. I mean, we, of course, invited all NPOC members to join to expedite that progress of making that charter. I'm happy to say that now that we are really about to finish it, all the work that's gone into it, we actually are taking most of the Work Stream 2 recommendations into account. So we won't have to do this again in at least another five years, I hope.

PAUL MCGRADY: When I heard that you guys were almost done with yours, I thought, wow, they're way out ahead. So it might have taken a long time, but there are folks that are behind you guys. So take some pride in the fact that you're getting yours across the finish line. Thanks.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yeah. Just to add to it, one of the things I'd like the person who asked the question to appreciate is ICANN is a multi-stakeholder process, and it takes us to have a big buy-in from every party that is involved in the process to make that single document sell through. So if it takes a while for us to have a bottom-up approach to getting the documentation strengthened by the contributions of everyone, I think probably it's worth the time, but I also do feel that if not for the COVID—I'm not taking

[inaudible] for Raoul, but I feel that if not for the COVID, that volunteer morale was low, that people didn't feel like they really wanted to contribute so much because people were dealing with a lot of things during the COVID period. I think we would have probably shortened the time. Yeah. So that's what I think.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Yeah. I could also add that the non-commercial stakeholder doesn't get paid for its work, unlike the IPC. Yeah. I think we can move on to the next agenda item, which is the communication platform. And Bolutife, if you can introduce this to us. Thank you.

BOLUTIFE ADISA:

Yes. Thank you, Raoul, for the introduction. Yes. So in the past couple of years, I would say, we have had quite a bit of challenge with NPOC when it comes to communication. So myself and a couple of others within the board, we have tried to address some of these issues, which includes proper management of our social media accounts.

Also, in cases where we have to hand over to new Board members, proper documentation and accountability for the social media handles and being able to secure things like passwords. And also, pretty much the ease of communication with our social media accounts. So this was something that we tackled head on. I think a big thanks have to go to Jean as well, who is a member. I think he attends many of our EC meetings and he was able to really support with this.

So in essence, the solution in which we came up with was a centralized software that helps us to communicate on all social media platforms

just with one post. I think it's a very powerful tool. It also helps us to have analytics and reports on our social media engagements, which is very helpful for us. So members must have noticed that we have a lot more activity going on on our social media pages.

Also, for many who haven't followed us on our social media pages, I believe the previous email that was sent out by Caleb today has all our accounts. So basically, we were able to achieve this for Twitter and Facebook as well as LinkedIn accounts. So for now, these are the three major social media accounts that we have as NPOC. But like Raoul has said many times, we are willing to also explore other social media accounts that members can suggest. We would like to move into those spaces as well. So this is pretty much the announcement for our tenure and also for the upcoming ExCos. I think communications will be much easier and more manageable based on these efforts from the NPOC EC. With that being said, I'd like to hand the floor back to Raoul. Are there any questions? I'll be happy to answer them.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Thanks, Bolutife. Yeah, there was a question from Olévié about the marketing materials and happy to say that we've got some here. So please, if you want to see some NPOC leaflets, we've got a good few here. You can pick a few if you know somebody who would also be interested. And yeah, I actually just talked with Adam Peake about our CROP application, but that's actually something that hasn't still been responded to once we submitted that application, but I trust that that'll be done very soon. Does anyone have any questions about the new communication platform? It's too bad we couldn't see any slides of

that, but we had a look at it in the last EC meeting and it did look good. It gives us much more control, like organized control over all of our media. Yeah, it should keep it better together and makes us easier to follow.

ANDREA GLANDON: Raoul, we do have a hand up in the...

RAOUL PLOMMER: Oh, Jean? Go ahead.

JEAN QUERALT: Yeah. Hi, everyone. I'm Jean-Francois Queralt from the IO Foundation for the record, speaking from Malaysia. Just following up to what Bolutife was mentioning in terms of usernames and so forth, it would be interesting that we start looking into the possibility of also having credentials stored in a vault that is managed by NPOC and made accessible to future members as we rotate in the positions, so we don't have to worry about whose telephone number was used for a specific OTP registration, etc., which may hinder a lot of [inaudible] for possible handovers or for even more collaboration between members if we ever get more volunteers to work on this. I could have a look at it if NPOC is interested.

BOLUTIFE ADISA: Thanks for that, Jean. Yes, I think definitely, Jean, you have actually been very helpful in the process so far, so, yeah, this idea is something that I think we will be open to. I would let Raoul also speak on it, but I

think as communications chair, this is something that will be very helpful, and I'll be happy to work with you on that as well.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Okay. Thanks for that. Definitely looking forward to us using that new platform. I think we'll have a fair bit of content coming out of this live ICANN meeting, so we'll be able to use our spanking new platform for that. So moving on the agenda, the new procedure for determining active membership. It's something that we've been talking about in the last meeting. We decided that basically we would go through our membership and differentiate between the—every election basically we go through our members and see if they're active or inactive, and basically only the active members get to vote in the elections.

But I think we need to take that a little further, and the way we would be doing it is basically after the elections, contact these inactive members of ours, and wait basically for a month for them to respond, and if they don't respond, then we'd be contacting the organization that they are representing, and basically get a statement from the organization whether it's okay that this person is still representing that organization. And in the case we don't get a response from that organization either, we would actually remove the membership of that organization. It's something we haven't been doing, but I think it's good to do this to keep our membership agile and sort of up to date, really. And yeah, we'll include this in the final update of the charter before sending it to the Board. Then I'm going to hand it over to Emmanuel, and it's on IDNs.

EMMANUEL VITUS:

Okay. Thank you very much, Raoul. So I'm representing the NCSG at the International Domain Names EPDP. So for those who are not familiar with this EPDP, I think I will give you a very short background. So the EPDP was initiated to allow the using of domain name suffix, what we call the top-level domains, to be represented in different scripts used around the world. This expansion is supposed to allow the DNS in local languages. That's what we call the internationalized domain names, so making it easier for the majority of the population to have an equal opportunity to access the Internet.

So this EPDP was initiated to provide the GNSO Council with a policy recommendation on the definition for all the TLDs and the management of variant labels to facilitate the delegation of the gTLDs in the root zones, and also to address how the IDN implementation guidelines should be updated in the future.

So I joined as a representative for the NCSG during the Hague meeting, and so far, the EPDP team has worked on deliberation on string similarity review, the hybrid model. We did contribution as a stakeholder group thanks to some of the subject matter experts within our constituency and stakeholder group, and also we participate at least to over 90% meetings of this EPDP group. We have 90 minutes every week.

So we continue the deliberation here in Cancun this morning. I think I saw some colleagues attended that meeting this morning. The draft text that we are currently reviewing is in response to the charter question E3, E4, B4, E1, B5 and E7, for those who are familiar with the IDN EPDP charter. So the outcome of those various charter questions

are under review by the team at the moment. So continuing the conversation after this Cancun meeting. So the team is working towards publishing the phase one report of this EPDP, focusing on the IDN gTLD definition and variant management. So the phase one report will be published on Monday, 24 April, so let's say a month from now. Staff have developed a draft table that provide a consolidated view of what we have worked on so far as recommendation. I think that's what Andrea has projected.

So the sequence of these recommendations are roughly based on the process flow of the new gTLD program. So once the phase one report is published next month, I encourage you to read it and get ready for the public comment. For those who want to have a very close look to the draft we are actually projecting, I can still share it with you so that you have a close look. And if you have any comment, I think we still have a few days to contribute to that as a stakeholder group.

But I think so far, the questions that concern the group, I reached out to a couple of members who have supported us in the course of this EPDP since I joined. The only thing that I can say concerning this work is that the workload is huge, and it requires a lot of expertise, I mean, technical expertise, understanding all those charter questions, and providing useful recommendation.

And unfortunately, so far, I think NCSG have two slots, but since the Hague meeting, I'm the only one participating, so it's becoming tough. But 90 minutes every week is quite a lot of job. So I think I recommend that we work on that slot so that we are able to share the task, because the workload is a lot. So we are able to share the meetings and see how

best—I think two heads will be always better than one, so that is something that I will recommend to the NCSG EC to look at it and nominate someone or encourage the person who has been nominated for a year now to participate to the meetings. I think it will be helpful.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Thanks for that, Emmanuel. I also encourage strongly to take part in that work. So if there's anybody here who would like to work on the IDN PDP, that would be great. Please tell us as soon as possible. Don't all rush at once.

I think we can move on in the agenda. Yeah, well, this is just really a quick one. Could have been in the announcements. But the sustainable ICANN is something that in the Kuala Lumpur meeting, I asked the room in a public forum, basically, that if the community members would like to see ICANN carbon neutral. And more than half of the room stood up, as I asked them to do, including all of the Board members, I think this is something that is not really NPOC's job, but the Board is always going to say that this initiative needs to come from the community, and I think there is no better party to bring it up than the Noncommercial Stakeholder Group. And I think I would like to see NPOC at least putting their name down on supporting that initiative. I think just the sheer act of a couple hundred people getting up and supporting ICANN going carbon neutral is quite a strong show that the community does want it.

There was a public comment on the new budget, and I made a quick comment on including some of the budget. I think I was basically asking ICANN to put aside something like \$60,000 per year for ICANN going

carbon neutral. And I think the obvious place to start that process is to actually compensate, or even better yet, to sort of help these emissions coming from the flights that the ICANN community and the ICANN staff make to come to these meetings. So that's a very quantifiable area of emissions that the ICANN produces in doing its work. But yeah, that's that. And I think we had something. Oh, did we have questions in the chat?

ANDREA GLANDON: There was one comment from Jean about the communications, I believe. Oh, okay, hang on.

ANDREA GLANDON: Dan will read it.

DAN GLUCK: Yeah, from Jean, "I can put a small proposal for that. Not sure if for this ICANN meeting, because of time constraints, though surely for the next EC meeting."

RAOUL PLOMMER: Great. Thanks, Joan.

ANDREA GLANDON: Raoul, Ines has her hand up in Zoom when you're ready.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yep, go ahead, Ines.

INES HFAIEDH: Thank you very much, Raoul, Andrea. Hi, everyone. This is Ines Hfaiedh. So actually, I have one suggestion and one question. So the first question is about if you have any updates about NPOC request for a NomCom representative, what happened in this matter, if you have any updates. And one suggestion is about item number four in the agenda, the procedure for determining active membership. I think it's good to check if a member in NPOC or any constituency is active or not. But I do believe that before checking that is actually trying to revive and like revamp and trying to get more engagement by the members first through by sending them reminders, links, etc., which is already happening in NPOC. When a new member joins NPOC, we actually receive that email with all the information, which is absolutely great. But maybe before like deleting or outing some members, maybe we should do that again with them, with all of the membership. And then we double check after some time if they are active or not. So one suggestion and one question about NomCom. Thank you.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Yep. Thanks for that, Ines. So, sorry, I'm frozen a bit here.

INES HFAIEDH: It's okay, I just asked it for an update about NPOC NomCom representative and suggested that we revive membership before outing them.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Yeah, so about the NomCom, we included that in the questions that the NCSG is talking about with the Board. So I think we'll get the most up-to-date information from there. But as you know, it's been an ongoing issue for the last seven years. And although it was made as a strong recommendation to rebalance the NomCom, basically the GNSO blocked that. And I think it might not... It should maybe not be able to do that, since it was a strong recommendation. And there's an obvious imbalance of power that is... Well, it couldn't really be more visible. Yeah, and Caleb is just going to talk a little about membership feedback.

CALEB OGUNDELE:

So, Ines, thank you so much for your question. I think that one of the feedbacks we got is that we need to also get more support from the community to make sure we get that NomCom rebalancing done. So it's already now probably in the hands of NCSG. We have to work with NCSG to see how we can get that done.

However, like Raoul mentioned, the question was part of what was sent to the board. We hope to get feedback. But the good thing I'd like to give feedback on was the last meeting at Kuala Lumpur. We had a very good traction when it came to this question. We got the support of a number of the board members. That traction was very encouraging. They encouraged us to see what we can do. And this possibly is a good green signal for us that whatever we can do to make sure we push that case up to the level of Board, it would be maybe an easy pass for them to grant our requests. But that's on the one hand. That's probably like the small feedback I'll probably have on that. Does that make sense? Okay, great.

So right now we would like to move to the next agenda, which is members' feedback. What basically is members' feedback? We really want to hear your voice. What have we been doing that we can improve on at the level of the EC? What are some of the things you would want us to do better? One of the few things that I mentioned earlier was the member survey, which is ready and we will be sending out to members. But before we document that, we'd just like to hear your voice. What is it that you see about the future of NPOC? What can we improve on? And how can we serve some of the operating procedures or things that we do? How can we make things better?

Yeah, so we'd like to hear your feedback at this meeting. So that's what members' feedback is for. And just to give you some caveat, if no one is going to speak, I will call some names. So don't report me to Ombudsman. I'm just calling names. Anyone wants to speak, please go ahead. Sam? Sam is still thinking. He's a philosopher. So I think we've got some questions from online. I think I probably saw something popped up from Olévié there.

DAN GLUCK:

Yeah, we have a comment from Olévié. "I humbly think the ball is in the NPOC camp if the NCSG wants to be heard by the Board about this NomCom search."

OLÉVIÉ KOUAMI:

Hello. Please, are you hearing me?

CALEB OGUNDELE: Yep, go ahead.

OLÉVIÉ KOUAMI: Okay. Yes, my comment is about the charter. I think that NPOC need to be viable. And to be viable, we need to have a viable charter or a valid charter. So since more than six years, we are working on this charter and never as if they have no limits. If you are fighting for another seat or another person on a working group or something like that, the constituency who is asking for that has to be viable. So we need to accelerate this validation of our charter and to be considered as really a constituency and to be respect and got our seat on NOMCO. This is my comment. Thank you.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Thank you so much, Olévié. So if I get your question, it's a mix of how is the charter going to support the NomCom rebalancing seats we are trying to work towards. Am I correct?

OLÉVIÉ KOUAMI: Yes, exactly.

CALEB OGUNDELE: Okay, great. So the charter and the NomCom rebalancing are exclusively mutual. They are two separate things. But they also work together. So I totally get your concerns about the delay with the charter. That is currently not before my table at the moment, but I will speak to also how they are related with NomCom. So if this charter, which I am sure is going to get—I think it's currently at Legal and almost at the

Board right now, right? Just for the Board to sign off, Legal and then the Board, based on some of the feedbacks we had in the last open call.

CALEB OGUNDELE:

I am hoping that this year, based on what Raoul mentioned, that that charter is going to be active. And when that charter is active, he was mentioning that he was hoping that that was going to be before the elections or probably immediately after the NPOC election. So if that happens, that's fine. The charter will serve NPOC.

But in the case of NomCom, it's also a separate entity until when we are able to get that seat. That is when we will be able to draw out an addendum to the charter, so we don't need to rewrite the charter again. Probably we will have to put it as a standard operating procedure on how to nominate a member of NPOC to the NOMCOM. That way we will not have to rewrite the charter again and probably it's going to take another long years, like you mentioned. I don't know how that works.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

No, it's not necessary to include the seat at the NomCom in our charter.

CALEB OGUNDELE:

Yeah, that's why I said you could put it in the standard operating procedure of how EC can do that as an addendum.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Yeah, we'll review that and make a decision about it. I hope that answers your questions, Olévié.

OLÉVIE KOUAMI:

Yes, no, it's good. It's more clear for me. The problem is that I'm feeling like NPOC is not really considered in the ICANN ecosystem. I don't know why, but I'm feeling like NPOC is—I know that it is the latest constituency, but nothing is really evolving in this constituency, really. In fact, apart from we have new members, many new members, but when they will come, they will see that there is nothing to do for them. And the former members—we have many former members who were on the ECs, the ECs we got before, but when they leave the EC, they disappear. So we don't know exactly, they don't want to share their experiences with the new EC or what. This is what it seems to me weird, so I need to—but Caleb has explained, I know that the charter and the NomCom is two different things, but if the Board is hesitating to give the seat, it's because they have not confidence. Thank you.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Yeah, thanks for the criticism. I think you know you've been an NPOC member longer than I have, and you know that we have always been an open group, and that if you had an initiative or a suggestion for the constituency, you can just bring it to our attention. But I haven't seen those.

I think we can move on to the AOB, and I would like to start by asking whether the NCPH liaison maybe has an opinion, whether we should convene again. I saw some CPH sessions in this ICANN meeting, but I haven't seen any NCPH sessions. Do you think we need them again?

PAUL MCGRADY:

Thanks. Two things on the AOB. I'll answer that question second. How about that? The first thing is thank you for allowing me to be here and to listen in. I would love to do this more, and again, I don't want to push in where uninvited. On the other hand, if you see value in me being here and listening and being able to understand more fully your concerns, I'm not just willing. It would actually make me very happy to be able to do that. So, for example, on this issue with regard to the NomCom and the seats, I'm learning things in this meeting, so I think it's good.

In terms of getting the house together, is that your question? I think we should absolutely get the house together, and that was one of the things that came out of Council's special session. And there was some actual chatter about this on the Council list, where I kind of thought it was a done deal because the Council had said we need to do that. And then when I said, great, let's get it done for June, then there was some pushback on that list from lovely staff who maybe thought there was a step that needed to take place that maybe the leadership of the various parts of the house need to also say it's a good idea.

So I don't really know exactly procedurally where it sits. I think it's something Council could do on its own and invite people. But if it needs to be Council inviting and the leadership of the various parts of the House either co-inviting or agreeing—in any event, it's one of my things I'm going to try to push on a little bit gently because I really think it's a great idea. I think that really since 2012, so much has evolved in the multi-stakeholder community that not everybody is wearing the same hats as they used to. The existence of something like a dot brand completely upsets all the apple carts, right? And there are all kinds of

other hats that have evolved, not just in relationship to the new gTLD program, but in relationship to DNS abuse and all kinds of other things.

So I think that it would be great for us to get together, and I'm going to borrow a business phrase I don't like, level set, and say are we really all encamped in the same way that we have been for the last 20 years? Are we truly more aligned on things than we think we are? And I think you can't really have that conversation unless you're all in the same room. So I think that's a great idea.

I also think that if we could work on a social component to it as well, not just business, I think that that also is a very good thing if we can pull that off. So that's my opinion. Those of you who know me personally know that I am for more speech, not less, in every context almost all the time. So in this case, I'm for more speech, and I hope that we can figure out how to get the leadership of the parts of the house to say yes and to get the Council to say yes, we mean it. And I would love to pull it off in June if we can do it and not wait until the fall. Thanks.

RAOUL PLOMMER:

Yeah, like I've been following the TPR process somewhat, and I think there might have definitely been a good place to combine our efforts since the registrars and registries are really having even a lot more representatives there. So it would be great and important for us, the CSG and the NCSG, to maybe have some opinions about that.

ANDREA GLANDON:

We just have one minute left, Raoul.

RAOUL PLOMMER: Anything else? Anyone want to add something? Go ahead.

JUAN MANUEL ROJAS: Yes, thank you. I want to just add that in the policy committee, I think, we have sent these updating policy comments. We did it the first of the year, and we are planning to send this abstract from public comments [in public comments ICANN world] every month to be able to—that our members can step forward to make a comment or step forward to, okay, let's do this penholder or let's do this comment about another issue, as you said in your sustainable ICANN comment that you are writing and you are leaving.

So the objective of this is that our members knows what comments are open, that we can maybe add something, maybe we have something to say there, and it's important to have, as Caleb said before, that it's important to have their feedback, yes? Not just, okay, I received the mail, it's great, but no more. I think that we also need feedback from our members and say, okay, I am interested in this comment or I want more information about this comment or not. I think that's it, all I have to add here.

RAOUL PLOMMER: All right, thank you, Juan. I think there wasn't more questions and that's good because we're already a little over time here. So thank you all for joining. It was nice to see so many of you. See you at the NCSG PC meeting.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]