
ICANN76 | CF – ccNSO: Guidelines Review Committee
Saturday, March 11, 2023 – 13:15 to 14:30 CUN

KIMBERLY CARLSON: Use the physical microphone. For the benefit of other participants please state your name for the record and speak at a reasonable pace. You may access all the Zoom features in the Zoom toolbar. And with that, I apologize for starting late and I'll hand the floor over to Sean Copeland, chair of the GRC.

SEAN COPELAND: Thank you so much, Kimberly. And welcome, everybody, to Cancún. And morning and evening to those of you who are not here. A couple things. If you're sitting behind me and you want to join up into the table, please do so. We will welcome that.

Sort of off topic to GRC but for those of you who are here, there's been some issue with credit cards and I just want to pass along you can contact your bank to have your contactless credit card turned off while you are here. And just keep an eye out for ATM machines or POS machines that look a little off. They are probably skimmers. And don't let your credit card out of your hand for any reason.

Beyond that, welcome to the GRC in Cancún. And we have a special guest in the form of Alp who was here on one of our Zoom calls in February. So I hope everyone has done their homework. And we can

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

start into the full agenda and preparation for the governance session.
So, Bart, if you would like to start that. Did we lose Bart?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [He's not feeling well. If you want to just....]

SEAN COPELAND: Sure. Yeah, we can run through the slides. So David and I are going back and forth on this. So if you guys want to do input into the slides as we're going through it, it would be fantastic. And my Zoom has gone down, so I'll look at it this way.

So looking at the screen, that's the agenda for the presentation. So we are going to go over the conflict of interest and statement of interest for the community. Then we are going to go into an introduction implementation which is going to include a fireside chat with Marika and Karen. Yeah, next slide.

David is going to give a timeline on the SOI/COI process to show the work that has been done within this community. Next slide.

We had debated putting in the COI. We've decided to put it in even though it just applies to councilors just so that the community knows that something is happening there as well and to reiterate from ICANN75. Next slide. If I'm going too fast, please tell me to slow down.

Here's the introduction to the SOI. These are the bullet points from the process from the document that we've all worked on. Again, if you have any comments or concerns or issues, please bring them forward. We

can make changes over the next 24 hours, I have been told by Kimberly. Next slide.

This is a blank holder slide. We will have something here with regard to the form as it will appear online and the questions that will be asked. Go ahead, David.

DAVID MCAULEY: Thank you, Sean. This is one of the questions I was posing as you and I were emailing. What do we anticipate? Should I do a slide up for this, or are we going to show the template? Because the template is fairly involved. What do you think, Bart? Okay, well, I'll be prepared to speak to that, and I'll just have bullet points summarizing it. And people can read through it if they wish.

BART BOSWINKEL: May I suggest that we just go so this part is just administrative. If you go to the real questions [and] to the real questions so people do understand the questions at hand and run through them and why you think they're important, why you included them. And they effectively reflect the guideline itself, the SOI bit.

DAVID MCAULEY: Okay. Right.

BART BOSWINKEL: But this shows it because one of the questions you will ask at the end is, do you support the template and will you fill it in?

DAVID MCAULEY: Right, and they've already had access to this, I think. I think, Joke, didn't you....

BART BOSWINKEL: She's not around. She's going to....

DAVID MCAULEY: She did an announcement.

BART BOSWINKEL: Yeah.

DAVID MCAULEY: But in any event, I do want to summarize the points. I recognize the administrative part, but I want to summarize some of it.

BART BOSWINKEL: Just I would say the main questions.

DAVID MCAULEY: Yeah, exactly.

BART BOSWINKEL: And that's questions I would say the...so it's lowering the threshold to fill it in.

DAVID MCAULEY: Exactly. Yeah, okay, thank you.

BART BOSWINKEL: You just go over it again and what you think what needs to be highlighted, mention it and we'll scroll to it. And then people can see it in the room.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Thank you, Sean. Just a suggestion that take your intro slide which I believe was Number 5 and split it into two slides. You've got a lot of bullet items there and the font is too small I think for the room we're going to be in to be seen from the back. Thanks.

SEAN COPELAND: Mea culpa on that, Stephen. Yeah, okay, we'll do that. Next two slides, I suppose. So questions and comments for the community, and then we will go into polling questions. And so this is the first question that we worked out is, do you support the proposed SOI template? And we will let everyone in the room vote on that. And then the next question is, do you think it is reasonable to require completion of a Statement of Interest to join a ccNSO group? Again, it's a positive question, so we are hoping that we get a positive result. Next slide.

So it's a header slide going into the implementation of the ccNSO policies which will be sort of the introduction to the fireside chat process. This will kind of run through from a presentation point of view rather quickly while we are having the fireside chat.

Which means we can go to Slide Number 12 which is the graphic that Bart did that kind of really resonates with me. I like the whiteboard approach, and I hope that people really understand that Bart's encapsulating a five-year process here that we kind of want to understand and grasp.

So from there, we will go to Slide 13 where we will introduce both Karen and Marika. And then we will go into a general and open discussion. There are some questions that you guys will have seen that Bart has suggested that Marika and Karen will be contemplating on. And there will be a couple of questions we hope from the audience. The hope is that when we complete this process the community doesn't have any unrealistic expectations for the PDP work that is being done to just appear magically. But I'm expecting that we will get some good questions. Next slide. Yes?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Do you want the little graphic here displayed while in the background for the fireside? Okay, thanks.

DAVID MCAULEY: Sorry, Sean. It's David again. So just to be clear, am I asking the polling questions? It comes right after my....

SEAN COPELAND: Sure. You know, for ease of flow, yes. Go ahead and ask the polling questions.

DAVID MCAULEY: And then what about Slides 10...? So that leads into the fireside chat. Is that what you do?

SEAN COPELAND: Yeah, I'll do the fireside chat then.

DAVID MCAULEY: And the two slides that lead into it?

SEAN COPELAND: Yeah.

DAVID MCAULEY: Okay, cool. Thank you.

SEAN COPELAND: Yeah. Then that should lead us to the introduction headings implementation which is going to be David. Yeah. And then going through those slides the question of why this is important. And then what our expectations and goals are, reasons why, and David will go through these steps. And thank you, David, for preparing these parts of the slideshow. Next slide.

Does anybody have any questions or comments thus far? No? Next slide.

Notice the emphasis on “may.” And then from here, we will go into the wrap-up of the session. Hopefully, it’s gone pretty well. And if we have the time, we will ask on interpretation. Otherwise, we will go into thank

yous to the interpreters and of course the members of the community or this group. And go ahead, David.

DAVID MCAULEY: Thank you, Sean. One more question. Kim, I think it's for you. Is this session happening in this room? No. Okay, thanks.

SEAN COPELAND: Now I notice that there's something in chat, but I can't actually read it because my Zoom has died in room. So I don't know what anyone has put there. Nothing? Okay. Can you bring back up the agenda, Kimberly. Thank you. So this will bring us to our guest, Alp, and talking about Work Stream 2. So I will turn it over to you.

ALPEREN EKEN: Thank you, Sean. It is Alp from ICANN Org. Hello, everyone. I'll share my screen now on Zoom so that you can see the presentation. Okay, so thank you again for inviting me to speak here. I'll briefly talk about Work Stream 2 community implementation. In the agenda I have four items: introduction and Work Stream 2 in general, and the SO/AC individual implementation, then Work Stream 2 community coordination group, and then I'll briefly talk about the next steps that have been planned.

For the introduction, first let me explain how Work Stream 2 is structured. We have eight groups of recommendations. Among these eight recommendations, four of them are directed to the community. You can see them in the bright colors: Recommendation 1, Recommendation 2, Recommendation 3, and Recommendation 6.

Among these recommendations there are three subgroups that are working in parallel. The first group is individual community work which has a mapping inventory that I will be talking about soon. The second group is Work Stream 2 community coordination group (CCG). That community group, again, I'll talk about that. And the third group is some recommendations that have dependencies on recommendations that are being worked on in the community coordination group.

In this slide you can see status of recommendations as of February 2023. I did a really similar presentation during the prep week of ICANN76. As you can see here, we have no recommendations complete because to complete a recommendation we need completion from each ICANN SO/AC or SGs and Cs and RALO where it applies to them. We have most of the recommendations in progress because we are, as I said, working in two parallel groups, CCG and also individual community implementation. And three recommendations are not started. These three recommendations are diverse recommendations that need some information from community coordination group.

Here the next item is Work Stream 2 individual SO/AC group implementation planning. Here you will see a screenshot of a mapping inventory for Recommendation 2 and 6. It is for all SO/AC and groups. Here “groups” refers to stakeholder groups and constituencies of GNSO and also regional At-Large organizations of At-Large.

We created this gap analysis. Actually, I did it for ccNSO initially. I looked at this column, Column B, and then I checked it with each operational document where it is applicable. And then I turned it over to [inaudible]

of each group. In this case it is Bart and Joke. They worked on the sheet, and then they moved it over to this group.

Here I can show you the sheet that the ccNSO owns. As you can see here, we have Recommendation 2 and Recommendation 6 mapped against the operational procedures or charters where applicable. Some decisions were made here whether the recommendation is complete and implementation planned for the recommendation or there are other actions like partially complete, not applicable, implementation ongoing, implementation completed or won't be implemented.

Please note that Recommendation 6 and Recommendation 2.3 are good practices and there is no mandatory implementation for them. So the group can feel free to state that they are not going to implement the recommendations.

I'll go back to the slide. And moving to the next item, Work Stream 2 community coordination group, here I will talk about scope and composition of the group. SO/AC chairs agreed to form a lightweight coordination group in December 2021. The group is to serve as a central point of exchange of best practices, lessons learned, and sharing information and progress among all SOs and ACs, SGs and Cs, and also RALOs.

The group addresses topics that can benefit from a uniform communitywide approach. It is not a decision-making authority, hence the name coordination group. Each SO, AC, GNSO, stakeholder group, and RALO appointed one member except ASO. And they were free to appoint an alternate for the member. We have David for ccNSO, and I think we are doing a good job in the community coordination group.

It operates in a transparent fashion. We have a community wiki, and all the information, all the meeting recordings, all the reports or documents that group created to date are available on the wiki and public. You can also see attendance reports on the wiki.

As the next step, I will show you a small summary timeline. For Recommendation 2 and 6 we are already working on with each group individually. And as you can see, the finalization of implementation plans or continuing implementation is an open-end date because each group works in their own pace. They do prioritize their work.

Recommendation 1.1 we worked on an outcomes report. And then community coordination group discussed the report extensively. They were really lively discussions. And then the group signed off the report, and it is now available on the community coordination group's wiki.

For Recommendation 1.6, Recommendation 1.6 is a toolkit for community to assess their diversity. Actually, this is a dependency for the three recommendations that have not started yet. Currently, the group is working on two separate surveys that are a part of this toolkit. And we are looking forward to sign off of the group for the survey templates, and then a whole toolkit will be shared with the community coordination group. And once they agree on the toolkit which includes best practices and other parts of diversity, equity, and inclusion work we will send the toolkit to each community group. And they are free to work on it, change it before applying to their own community group.

That was my presentation. Thank you for listening, and I can have questions if you have any.

SEAN COPELAND: Does anyone have any questions for Alp?

DAVID MCAULEY: I have no question. Just a comment. Alp, I wanted to thank you because your support has been excellent in the coordination group. And if you would pass it on to Melissa and [Devon]. It's really outstanding staff support there.

ALPEREN EKEN: Thank you so much, David. I will do that.

SEAN COPELAND: Anyone else? No? All right, then. I would like to thank you, Alp, very much for your presentation. It's very much appreciated.

ALPEREN EKEN: Thank you.

SEAN COPELAND: Go ahead.

BART BOSWINKEL: I miss these conversations with you, Alp. Is there a need for you to check the status of the various recommendations with this group, or have you already done this?

ALPEREN EKEN: During our first meeting we actually ran through.

BART BOSWINKEL: Okay, yeah, I missed that one.

ALPEREN EKEN: Yeah, ran through the whole spreadsheet and we checked each [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

BART BOSWINKEL: It is really up to date with respect to the input from the GRC as well.

ALPEREN EKEN: As far as I am concerned, I am okay with that. But I think the group will decide whether it is final or they will continue working on it.

SEAN COPELAND: For the record, Bart, I'd like us to do one more go-through it. And back to the agenda. So next steps. The SOI/COI we've kind of addressed the template in the presentation, but do you want to bring it back up again to review? Which is what I am guessing we want to do here. Bart, do you want to read or would you like me to read it because I know you're...?

BART BOSWINKEL: [You better read it.]

SEAN COPELAND:

Okay, okay. So in going through this on the Page 1 here, it outlines the reasons why we've defined our definition of "interests" which I believe everyone in this group we spent a fair amount of time—or the subgroup, I'm sorry—we spent a fair amount of time going over the semantics.

So pay attention to "material interests." "A material interest is an important interest and is generally, but not always, financial in nature. However, in the legal sense, the interest needs to be substantial or of consequence." And I'm hoping that we are all very much content with this at this point in the game.

And then "financial interest." "A financial interest is the monetary reward for a service rendered, a monetary gain for commercial dealings, or the ownership of shares with the potential for monetary profit." That should make sense to everyone, I hope, in terms of translation.

Moving along, there are the default questions. What your name is, where you're working, what your position is, what type of work that you do. Then you have a listing of what your financial interest is. If you are representing another group. This is all pretty standard stuff for an SOI, so should not have any issue.

Actually, let me just point out the 3% on the financial interest. For those of you who have holdings in public companies, you'll know that sometimes that can be all the way up to 10%. We settled on 3% because given the size and type of our community we felt that would be most appropriate.

Moving on to the next part there, Kimberly. Here on Section 7, Question 1, this is where you talk about your material interests or arrangements. This could be in-depth or very light depending on how the person looks at that question. We're not looking to cause a great deal of hardship. We are just looking for the person to be as transparent as they can with the type of dealings that they have.

Material interests or agreements, again this goes to, I don't know, if you have a contract, if you have a supporting contract with ICANN, for example, we'd be interested to know about that. And again, a description would be appropriate just so that we understand what's involved.

And then sliding down again a little bit more, Kimberly. Of course, we look for you to be complete in what you have presented and do your best to provide accurate information. We're not going to march you out if it is incorrect. It's a best practices positive disclosure process, and that's what we really want to get across to people.

And then if there are any issues, and you'll note that we do have the COI in here, we will have that corrected for the presentation. If there are any concerns from another member or another participant, they can be brought to the attention of the chair of the group and then go through a process to resolve said issue hopefully amicably to all parties. And if we achieve that, I for one will be very happy. Go ahead, Bart.

BART BOSWINKEL: Just two comments. First of all, the numbering is a bit off. I don't know if you've noticed. If you scroll up, something went lost or changed in translation from Google to this. So that's one.

The second one is if you go scroll down, in this section there is reference to the COI procedure. And I think we need to better check whether that's still correct.

SEAN COPELAND: In this one I've actually sent off to David, Kimberly, and Joke a version where it's referencing it to the SOI.

BART BOSWINKEL: Yeah, so we'll change it because that was not captured in the final document. So we need to change it before you share it or we can share it to the community. So updating the numbering and adjusting this one. Thanks.

SEAN COPELAND: Okay. Does anyone have any further comments on this, on the form? Any concerns, issues? We're all very happy with the language? Ready to send it off to Council and the community? Excellent.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

SEAN COPELAND: Oh, yes, I guess online, yes. Good. All right, next item in the agenda is the implementation framework. This goes I guess to the subgroup that

has been starting to work on working on framework for a framework of implementation, to put it in strange English. Bart, do you want to talk to that or would you...?

BART BOSWINKEL: [inaudible]

SEAN COPELAND: Uh, 5b.

BART BOSWINKEL: Okay, 5b implementation framework, yeah, next steps around it. So I assume you'll get feedback if anything on Tuesday. With that feedback, that group will need to review the current headings document and check whether it's still valid. And then probably because if you look at the current headings document, it's a little bit in between. Some areas are reasonably fleshed out; others are still very rudimentary. So the next phase for the small group is to really flesh out the language for such a guideline, and then we can use the usual process because by now you've got the understanding of where to go with the headings.

Related and probably far more important is how to engage with ICANN Org. And that's part of that question and it also has to take into account the outcomes of the conversation of the Council with the ccTLD related Board members on how they see it and who...because the real issue as we'll probably surface on Tuesday as well, who to contact from ICANN.

Because if you look at the various policies, retirement is fairly easy. It's PTI. Review mechanism is already somewhere in between. There is a

huge legal component, but although it's directed at PTI decisions or [inaudible] decisions, they do not really have an active role in the whole process yet. They need to have some procedural, but the real issue is with legal and whether they want to do it. But it's something for the next phase to have a discussion who to involve and identify.

It could be that's a decision [inaudible] but that could be the outcome of the meeting with the Council and the Board members that the ccNSO takes the initiative with the various groups within ICANN. Say, look, we have this upcoming. Say like the IDN ccTLDs the best example because the other one...but even with the review mechanism is a good example. Say this is nearly going into implementation in the sense of the Board will have to decide who's going to implement it. They won't. The [CEO] will. With whom do we need to start a conversation and can we develop a kind of framework that dovetails very nicely with this in order to avoid all kinds of miscommunication whatsoever?

But that's the hardest issue, I guess, is to identify with whom to talk and then take them onboard and dovetail what we do or what the ccNSO is doing with what ICANN Org is doing. And that's probably one of the, hopefully, the outcomes of the discussion with Karen and Marika. Although, they [inaudible] a definitely answer, but that's good as well because then you can bring it back to the Board members. Say we need to find a way, if people think this is important, that's the way forward.

And once you have this, then it's a matter of preparing this as much as possible. That's fairly easy. But you can't do anything else unless you see because it needs to dovetail with the ICANN Org [inaudible] otherwise it doesn't make sense.

SEAN COPELAND: Totally agree, and I'm hoping that we make considerable progress actually with us all being here, both the group and the Org. David, go ahead.

DAVID MCAULEY: I think Bart made really good points and we should try and instigate some feedback along that line. But I would throw in there too the question whether someone should talk to ICANN or whether there's going to be a discussion with ICANN. Because the way the headings are set up Council may establish an IRT but it doesn't have to. And I think that might be a discussion point too. It would be good to get feedback on all those kinds of things.

SEAN COPELAND: Agreed. Thanks. Anyone else? No? Okay, Item Number 6, upcoming work items. What do we want to do between now and Washington besides wrapping up the SOI, completing the implementation framework, and the Work Stream 2? Do you want to speak to that, Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: I need to leave, but self-evaluation. The Council, as you may recall, Council has requested the GRC to develop a self-evaluation framework. A general one, very high-level, just how do PDP working groups, or probably broader, can they conduct a self-evaluation after a project has been completed or a process has been completed. So that's one.

The second one is this came up if you recall with the SOI. There was a discussion around membership. And we started looking at the various guidelines we have in place, and it's a mess to put it simply. So it might be very useful to review them. That's why you're a review committee. And check how to improve the consistency. And that should not take too long but at least have, say, one is membership and maybe the other area is to make them more consistent. So that's an easy one.

And then you have the already open issues of the Board removal, etc., and still awaiting work of the GRC. Thanks.

SEAN COPELAND:

Thank you for that, Bart, and I'll let you go and hopefully I let you not speak so much. All right, actually I would not mind the councilors that are around the table, where would you like us to position in your thoughts the self-evaluation? Do you guys have any thoughts? Jordan, Stephen, Alejandra? It's your chance. It's you're one chance to move something up on the mind really quickly.

BART BOSWINKEL:

May I make a final suggestion before? Start with the consistency. It is a good starting point. It's cleaning up your house before you do anything else.

SEAN COPELAND:

And Bart got the last word. All right, you guys, is there anything else that you guys would like to address?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: I just want for the record to say I agree with Bart on where that should go because we've got to clean up the inconsistencies.

SEAN COPELAND: There is truth to that, and that came out actually in the conversations that we were having on SOI/COI quite clearly. And that's something that for the community we need to improve. So where I would like that to go, and I will just put that out as an opinion, is we eventually have a manual of style of all sorts of things for people when they're doing work in working groups down the road. It would sort of fall into that. We would have a consistent type of definitions that go across the board. There aren't going to be definitions that mean one thing here and one thing there, and that will be good for our community.

That goes to next meetings which I believe will come some time after Cancún, hopefully a week or two after we get back, the 20th? Let's go for the 27th because I'm not back to Vancouver until the 24th. I would appreciate that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [Holiday.]

SEAN COPELAND: Yeah, a little holiday for me. And I wouldn't mind, and Segun doesn't know this, but I would like to go to Segun doing one of the meetings a month. Okay, and hopefully we can get more people in the GRC from Africa region and parts of southeast Asia.

Any other business from anyone at the table? Any other business from anyone on Zoom? Okay, with that, I would like to thank Bart who has already left, Kimberly, and Joke. They're the magicians behind the table keeping everything going on. And everyone here, enjoy the rest of your week in Cancún. Looking forward to seeing you guys on Tuesday. Cheers.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]